True Hero

I'm playing a larger than life character, Veeky Forums.

I need your best heroic inspirational quotes.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-HA8kSdsf_M
youtube.com/watch?v=OA9jBjCpzQc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump

This is a really good Superman quote. Superman, when written properly, is a really good source of these.

"The most important words a man can say is 'I will do better.' The most important step is the next."

And then everyone clapped

Why did the Hero cross the road?

Railroading.

He's had a megalomaniac bouncing self-serving dogma masquerading as humanism off of him for decades. He's not fooled.

this is what defines a hero, not the line, but the fact it (supposedly) worked

A true hero, you say?
>I'm afraid that I barely have a minute left in this form.
>My power's declining faster than I thought it would...
>Even so...I have to stop these villains!
>Because I am...the world's symbol of peace and justice!
And, for a more practical one
Villain guys tells him the guy he is fighting can absorb his attacks. All Might response is literally "yeah, what about it?"
And then proceeds to still go and punch the guy as hard as he can, simply because he knows he needs to do it. Because he knows that no one else can do it.
I think he is one of the best heroic archetypes there are, simply because he mixes a heroic attittude and the power to back it up and still manages to have some depth to his character without the need for forced drama, like most anymu characters have.
He doesn't have a necessarily tragic backstory that makes him fight. He does it because he knows its the right thing to do.

Quotes from I don't remember who.

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions.

To see the right and not to do it is cowardice.

Those who lack the courage will always find a philosophy to justify it.

No matter what cause one defends, it will suffer permanent disgrace if one resorts to blind attacks on crowds of innocent people.

No cause justifies the deaths of innocent people.

Truth, like light, blinds. Falsehood, on the contrary, is a beautiful twilight that enhances every object.

Truth never damages a cause that is just.

A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

I also really like Stain, top tier villain. He isn't going around killing 'heroes' for shits and giggles. He is killing heroes that are abusing their power and living only for themselves. Heroes that only want fame and fortune. Thats why stain respects All Might and Deku, because they are self-less. They are willing to sacrifice everything to save others, who act not for themselves for for those in need.

Its such a damn good show. While the main villain is such a whiny bitch (and stain and other villains, and even Deku calls him out on it), Stain is a damn good villain.

Yeah, that definitely happened.

"Now here is a riddle to guess if you can",
Sing the bells of Notre Dame.
"Who is the monster and who is the man?"
Sing the bells, bells, bells, bells, bells of Notre Dame.

Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.
>Se7en

>"One day, these people who I protect behind me will die. Oneday, this kingdom that I serve will fall. One day, this world that I love will end."
>"But it will not be today."
>"And it will not be because of you."

It's so obvious you made those up yourself.

Random quotes I have in my Paladin folder.
>I'm not seeking perfection in myself, I give up my own perfection to help those I aid and fight with find perfection for themselves.
>All that is required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing, and I am not going to stand idly by for any reason.
>To be kind to each other is the most incredible act of defiance against the dark that I can imagine.
>To give of yourself freely without expectation of reward is the one thing an evil man would never do.
>I don't care what you say, or the law says, or god says. *I* know what's right and wrong, and you're all going to stop running around like a bunch of doinkmeisters
>Every good that I fail to do is an evil I am responsible for, and I will do no evil.
>Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling...makes no difference. The degree is arbitrary. The definition's blurred. If I'm to choose between one evil and another, I'd rather not choose at all.

Not him but that last one's from Churchill

That's a good one.

No. They are from Confucius, Albert Camus, Mahatma Gandhi and like that one user said, Churchill.

>Death is inevitable. Our fear of it makes us play safe, blocks out emotion. It's a losing game. Without passion you are already dead.
>He was trying to buy more sand for his hourglass. I wasn't selling any.
>There are no choices. Nothing but a straight line. The illusion comes afterwards, when you ask "Why me?" and '"What if?" When you look back, see the branches, like a pruned bonsai tree, or a forked lightning. If you had done something differently, it wouldn't be you. It would be someone else looking back, asking a different set of questions.

Despite being the angriest mother fucker in the universe, Atrocitus is a surprisingly swell guy.

Watching your entire people get slaughtered by emotionless androids can do that to someone. I do love his bro moments with Saint Walker.

On of my favorite quotes from him -
>"Do you hate? The most powerful hate is not born out of ignorance or prejudice or a perceived threat.
Those three are fear in disguise. The fury that fuels my corps ignites from personal pain.
Those whose lives were ravaged by greed, lust, and control wield the crimson light. The rings
replaced our damaged hearts. They beat for them. And they keep us alive only to hate....
But atleast we live."

I feel like kind of a shitter for posting my own thing but a friend threw it back at me recently so I guess it might be decent enough.
>Failure to us is inevitable. As flawed beings in a flawed existence, failure may only be softened, never eliminated. It's a sad thing - a terrifying thing - but you must not allow it to weigh on you so. To err is to be human; to try once more in the face of uncertainty is to be alive. You must understand this.
>Your failings do not make you less, they do not define you. Do not fall into that hellish pit - that den of despair. Do not trap yourself in my old home where the demons whisper sadness to your soul. It's not fit for you. You've too much to see, too many people to meet, to save. To give in now - to hide because you are as flawed as any other being in existence would deprive us all of so much.

“Bran thought about it. 'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?'
'That is the only time a man can be brave,' his father told him.”

You feeling alright man?

I'm mostly fine. That bit was written like two years ago as part of a collaborative story between me and a friend of mine. The story itself was kind of heavy since it was two of our older characters basically saying Goodbye for Good. The guy saying the quote was basically ten minutes away from kicking the bucket and was scared to leave his friend alone with nobody else.

The guy I wrote it with hit some hard times a few weeks ago and this quote came up as something that stuck with him, so I've been thinking about it lately.

I unironically love this

"I don't need to know why something is or right or wrong. I know what's right, and I know what's wrong, and that's all there is to it."

>Glory lies beyond the horizon. Challenge it because it is unreachable. Speak of conquest and demonstrate it.

Rider has a lot of good ones, though I guess he isn't strictly heroic.

Tee hee hee, Macaroni, Macaroni!

> "Rest enough for the individual man, too much and too soon, and we call it death. But for Man no rest and no ending. He must go on, conquest beyond conquest. First this little planet and all its winds and ways, then all the laws of mind and matter that restrain him. Then the planets about him, and at last, out across immensities to the stars. And when he has conquered all of deep space, and all the mysteries of time, still he will be beginning."
~ H.G. Wells

> What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone? How else can we put ourselves in harmonious relation with the great verities and consolations of the infinite and the eternal? And I avow my faith that we are marching towards better days. Humanity will not be cast down. We are going on swinging bravely forward along the grand high road and already behind the distant mountains is the promise of the sun. - Winston Churchill

> A Paladin is no more sane than a man who decides that up is down, and dedicates himself to the preservation of balloons and the destruction of bricks. Nonetheless, there is no breed of man whom I would rather have beside me when the moon is black and the wolves are about. If the Paladin is wrong, then the world is mad, and in an insane world, there is no better police than an army of madmen.

All ones I had saved.

Dalinar is one of my favorite characters in recent fantasy media. Absolutely amazing storyline

“A journey will have pain and failure. It is not only the steps forward that we must accept. It is the stumbles. The trials. The knowledge that we will fail. That we will hurt those around us.
But if we stop, if we accept the person we are when we fail, the journey ends. That failure becomes our destination.”

fucking chills

youtube.com/watch?v=-HA8kSdsf_M
I really love this speech.

Hold your ground, hold your ground! Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you *stand, Men of the West!*

>> A Paladin is no more sane than a man who decides that up is down, and dedicates himself to the preservation of balloons and the destruction of bricks. Nonetheless, there is no breed of man whom I would rather have beside me when the moon is black and the wolves are about. If the Paladin is wrong, then the world is mad, and in an insane world, there is no better police than an army of madmen.
This is a good one.

I really like what the main villain group eventually involves into: the exact antithesis of the hero class. They don't see any point in bettering themselves or improving who they are, because why should you carve yourself up to fit the world when you can carve up the world to fit you? It'll make for a really compelling conflict when they actually have to deal with each other properly.

>"Yusuke Godai! *Gives thumbs up* Do you know what this means? It came from Ancient Rome. It is a sign of affirmation. A gesture given to those who did what was right. You should aim to be someone worthy of that. Losing your father is indeed a sad thing, but because of that, for the sake of your mother and sister, you should become a man who can protect their smiles! Become a man who can protect everyone's smiles! Isn't that beautiful? Because Sensei... believes it is."

Captain Marvel: My whole life, I've looked up to the League. You were my heroes. Every one of you.

Captain Marvel: [to Superman] And you, you were more than a hero. I idolized you. I wanted to be you. Whenever I was out there, facing down the bad guys, I'd think, "What would Superman do?" Now I know.

Captain Marvel: I believe in fair play. I believe in taking people at their word and giving them the benefit of the doubt. Back home, I've come up against my share of pretty nasty bad guys, but I never had to act the way they did to win a fight. I always found another way. I guess I'm saying I like being a hero. A symbol. And that's why... I'm quitting the Justice League. You don't act like heroes anymore.

"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — No, you move."
— Captain America (quoting Mark Twain)
"I know I'm asking a lot. The price of freedom is high, it always has been - and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."
—Captain America, Captain America: The Winter soldier

DAVROS: Why do you hesitate? No one would know. Clara Oswald is dead. Is this the conscience of the Doctor, or his shame? The shame that brought you here.
DOCTOR: There's no such thing as the Doctor. I'm just a bloke in a box, telling stories. And I didn't come here because I'm ashamed. A bit of shame never hurt anyone. I came because you're sick and you asked. And because sometimes, on a good day, if I try very hard, I'm not some old Time Lord who ran away. I'm the Doctor.
DAVROS: Compassion then.
DOCTOR: Always.
DAVROS: It grows strong and fierce in you, like a cancer.
DOCTOR: I hope so.
DAVROS: It will kill you in the end.
DOCTOR: I wouldn't die of anything else.
DAVROS: You may rely on it.

—————–

Goku: “You can destroy planets but you can never destroy what I am, friend.”

Frieza: “What…What are you?”

Goku: “I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth” (Goku powers up and stops using his indoor voice) “Ally to good! Nightmare to you!”

Damn if that ain't me when I DM.

We do not know what our chances of survival are, so we fight as if they were zero. We do not know what we are facing, so we fight as if it was the dark gods themselves. No one will remember us now and we may never be buried beneath Titan, so we will build our own memorial here. The Chapter might lose us and the Imperium might never know we existed, but the Enemy - the Enemy will know. The Enemy will remember. We will hurt it so badly that it will never forget us until the stars burn out and the Emperor vanquishes it at the end of time. When Chaos is dying, its last thought will be of us. That is our memorial -carved into the heart of Chaos. We cannot lose, Grey Knights. We have already won.
— Justicar Alaric

Inspiring spiteful:
"You accuse me of being a madman. What right have you to judge what is sane and what is not?
I have fought with the shadows on the edge of your vision.
I have seen the faces that laugh at you in your nightmares.
I have smelt the foetid breath that issues from the mouth of hell itself.
I have heard the silent voices that make your spine tingle with dread.
I have entered the realms between worlds where there is no time or place.
I have clashed with creatures the sight of which would sear your soul to the core.
I have bested horrors that chill with a gaze and tempt unreasoning terror.
I have faced death eye to eye and blade to blade.
I have stared into the eyes of insanity and met their all-consuming stare.
I have done all of this for you, for your protection, and the guarantee of a future for mankind.
And yet you accuse me of being a madman, you who have never had your sanity tested so sorely.
What right have you to call me a heretic and a blasphemer, who have not heard the whisper of dark gods in your ear?
You are weak. Vulnerable. Human in your frailty. I am strong and yet still you judge me.
And yet you still judge me for my sins, you who art most sinful to the heart?
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper; only those that prosper truly judge what is sane."
— Inquisitor Lichenstein

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Cringe. Did you write that when you were 14?

Someone will give this post a serious reply.

I refuse to give up. I will not quit. Cowboys never quit. I'm a cowboy, and I will finish this.

you're gonna carry that weight

>Love this movie as a kid
>Cry every time at this part along with my dad
>Be playing Titanfall 2 years later
>Eject out of Titan
>Final message on screen is "You are who you choose to be"
>Absolutely fucking floored with emotion
Damn good movie.

>"You are who you choose to be"
Perfidious lie.

>"Deceitful and untrustworthy lie."

Oh look, it has a dictionary.

Pho's blessed light may have been snatched from our sky, but the shadows still have enemies here.

I'm 15 fucking bitch say that to me irl not online and see what happens.

Less of a quote and more of a guide to paladins.

FUCK YOU!

Blade with whom I have lived
Blade with whom I now die
Serve right and justice one last time
Seek one last heart of evil
Still one last life of pain
Cut well, old friend, and then, farewell!

sanderson has some damn good characters in his books. he got the "epic" feel to his writing after he finished up Jordan's work. The characters were fully established by the time he took over, but he moved them through the worst of the times and finished the damn series. Considering how much he was given, he got a top level lesson in how to finish a series. Stormlight is going to be great, but Dalinar is going to die. He is a tragic character.

Protocol

"Yes, so you see underneath this armor I'm just a man. Nothing special, no hideous scars just an average person trying to do good in the world. However to those people we've saved, those we've helped in their hour of need we aren't just people, we're heros. Larger than life, invincible and anything but ordinary. I intend to live up to that expectation, because these people need heros and I don't see anyone else rising to that challenge."
I love playing paladins.

Should give context now that I think about it, played a paladin that never took of his armor around people. When I finally went down in a fight the party got curious, expecting something other than just a plain man.

On the rare occasion I get to play instead of DM, I tend to give it my all.

I just finished the book a couple of weeks ago, and the room was really dusty when I got done.

A man can not change what the world thinks he is, he can not change his skin, he can not change his past.
But every man can chose his future. As much as he can fight for it.

This one gives me chills to thi sday.

>A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship
What the fuck dude?

We are tank.

Faith.

I don't know when you gave it up, lost child. Were you never loved when you were young? Did a woman spurn you, or did the system beat you down? What hardships drove you, controlled you, until you came before me today?

It's hard to keep faith when I see children like you, broken and despoiled, then tossed aside when their purpose is finished. Oh yes, my boy, you're hardly the first ringleader I've seen down here, and you might yet not be the last. You’re full of fire and fury, just like all the ones before, but you and I both know that it’s a hollow feeling. There’s a faith-sized hole in your heart, and no amount of Warp-spawn will fill it.

You don’t have faith in the Imperium. You don’t have faith in your fellow man. You can’t even believe in love, or hope, or joy and despair that doesn’t come from an alien abomination. You can’t see the ocean of corruption, yet you’re drowning in it. You’re lost in the wilderness, little child, and only you and the Emperor can know how deep you’ve sunk.

Other lost children have asked me why I stay. Minister of a sad little church, shepherd of a tiny flock, drowning in the greed and corruption from above - I’m just one man. I stand here fighting a battle already lost, with the hive in flames, the Governor and his cronies dead, and the black ships standing watch above. Perhaps there is no point to this mad universe; mayhaps it truly is a galaxy spinning adrift from rhyme or reason.

(con't, too long for one post.)

Yet the Emperor, for all his power, was just one man. Horus the Betrayer, Saint Sebastian Thor, and even humble Ollanius Pius were all just men. You are one man, as am I. Each of us may be saints or sinners, as we make of the lives given us.

I look at you, strong in Warp-borne mutations and diseases, and all I can see is weakness. You were so frail that when hardship bore down on you, and when this harsh reality sunk its claws in, you bargained your immortal soul away for relief from a little pain. Your physical strength cannot hide your spiritual weakness: where better men stood fast and died proudly, you sold out your Emperor and your fellow man for your worthless life.

So come fight me, lost children. We’ve all made our choices, and now those choices have made us. I shall bring you into His light with cleansing flame and prayers, and redeem us all in death. Come one or come all, you shall not put a foot into this hallowed ground while I still draw breath.

For I have faith, and that is enough.

HAVE NO FEAR
FOR I AM HERE

"I'm not a natural killer! See this? See what it says? I'm supposed to keep the peace, I am! If I kill people to do it, I'm reading the wrong manual!"

"The trouble is, you see, that if you do know Right from Wrong, you can't choose Wrong. You just can't do it and live. So if I was a bad witch I could make Mister Salzella's muscles turn against his bones and break them where he stood. If I was bad. I could do things inside his head, change the shape he thinks he is, and he'd be down on what had been his knees and begging to be turned into a frog- if I was bad. I could leave him with a mind like a scrambled egg, listening to colors and hearing smells-If I was bad. Oh yes." There was another sigh, deeper and more heartfelt.
"But I can't do none of that stuff, because that wouldn't be right."

>Son of Man, I do not love you, but I shall never abandon you.

>It's true. I can't save the world. The only people I can save are the people right around me. But i don't think that's so bad, you know? Because the people i save might go on to save other people. If everyone out there could just save the people right around them, I think the world would be a much gentler place.

youtube.com/watch?v=OA9jBjCpzQc

Pissed myself laughing. Isn't that a game/anime about raping monster girls?

Also

Doing what has to be done even if you know you can't win. Can't get a reward. Being the nameless guy in the sewer pipe trying to twist a shit spewing valve. Only a putrified corpse exhumed 400 years later caked in excrement. He tried, and failed. But at least he tried.