/osrg/ - Old School Revival General

Welcome to /osrg/, the Old School Renaissance General! Here we discuss editions of Dungeons and Dragons from the TSR era, as well as retroclones of those editions and other games and material basically, more or less, sorta, hopefully, compatible with them.

>Trove:
pastebin.com/raw/QWyBuJxd
>Tools & Resources:
pastebin.com/raw/KKeE3etp
>Old School Blogs:
pastebin.com/raw/ZwUBVq8L
>Previous thread:
Thread Question:
What do you run, if anything? A megadungeon, a hexcrawl, a series of modules, a campaign, or some combination of these?

Other urls found in this thread:

whatwouldconando.blogspot.com/search/label/Africa-land
sendspace.com/file/nlomhs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_People_of_the_Black_Circle
theoryofthemeparks.blogspot.com/2015/08/wayfinding-in-themed-design-weenie.html
youtube.com/watch?v=oFAA1yPqCvo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Anyone ran/played in a successful online campaign? Any tips? I'm this close to giving up any hope of getting a real life group going because nobody can commit to anything apparently.

More like Old School Bervival

>What do you run, if anything?

The occasional one shot, it's hard enough to get a OSR game going in the first place

A stitched together frankenstein of module adventures. I have both too much material (stuff I want to run) and too little (actually prepped). I've got four players but one of them rarely shows up. Fortunately, his character is as flakey as he is (anarchist thief from another continent) so it's no problem.

I was running a long LotFP campaign. But everyone's busy with college again, so I just do the occasional one shots now and then. I've been itching to run ASE.

user from last thread here:
Would still love some suggestions, and would especially love some suggestions on modules that would help

Keep in mind in each world the party needs to find some sort of portal key, so we need some overarching goal for each world

I'm an uncreative fuck I'm so sorry OSRG

Try out Courtney's revision of HotDQ, it's pretty neat.

Yo, user who was asking for stuff on African-themed hexcrawls, I stumbled upon this. See if any of it's useful to you.
whatwouldconando.blogspot.com/search/label/Africa-land

Is Sharp Swords & Sinister Spells an OSR?

HotDQ?

>Sharp Swords & Sinister Spells is a sword and sorcery rules light role playing game with an old school spirit.

Signs point to no, then.

What's the best obscure OSR game?

I know it's kinda an oxymoron to say obscure OSR game, but the obscure of the obscure is still obscure

What do you think that wizards thinking in that pic

>Anyone ran/played in a successful online campaign?
Yes
>Any tips
I hate saying it, but there's no "tips", you get lucky. Either you find a group of nice people that you don't mind playing with, or you find yet another furry ERP group

Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea doesn't get enough love

Swords & Wizardry Light/Continual Light
That other 2e clone that isn't FG&G

We're making beef boy a meme, like it or not

He'll be the new Milhouse if he needs to be

Read through it recently, and fell in love

Why don't people talk about it more? It's a neat, concise 1e clone with a simple skill system. If anything it's the LoTFP to AD&D, a simple game in a tight package

>. Either you find a group of nice people that you don't mind playing with, or you find yet another furry ERP group
That's not either/or.

No idea, but I'm sorry you fell in love with it because you'll never find anyone to play it with sadly.

>What do you run, if anything?

Maze of the Blue Medusa while I prep my own module.

See above. Not only online, but text based *and* with good pace. It's taken me five years to find a good enough group to manage that.

How much should the local temple charge for a Revive spell

There's not much in the way of module support for it compared to other systems. Despite what people say about OSR, nobody wants to take any amount of time to convert stuff for it. And most people won't try a system if they have to build an adventure from scratch right off the bat

Hoard of the Dragon Queen.

user, I can fall in love with you

Name sounds weird and overly tied to Conan. As someone who has never read Conan and probably wouldn't like it, I can't say I'm enthused about playing a game focused on that.

>local temple
>revive

Why are you even in the OSR thread if you love Pathfinder so much?

It's really not tied to Conan, give it a shot

Not him, but what the fuck?
>inb4 "it's bait user"

Yes. How much would they charge

How do you guys handle XP. Do you count it up as the session goes? Do you convert GP to XP when they get to town or spend it?

Or are you a filthy heaven and use a milestone system?

>local temple
>revive

Dude, repeating your memey greentext isn't helping anyone.

Yes. How much would they charge

Mansefag, if ever we needed a class...

it's bait user chill

Yo skerples, how much work/content do you have to make to put shit on drivethru RPG and make money off it.

Asking for a friend haha.

Do you think Yoshi gets embarrassed?

I generally keep track of what they've found in the dungeon that delve. I typically assume that they'll sell anything they find unless they specifically tell me otherwise or it's a weapon or magic item. When they get to town, that's usually the end of the session, so I count up the treasure, figure out sale prices, and give them the XP then. If they want to keep something they can, and they'll get their XP when they trade it or use it. Though I suppose I could always just give them the XP when they get to town regardless and let them figure out what they're keeping. If they don't have a place for it that's another matter though.

Skerples, what is your preferred system for running Tomb of the Serpent King

Also do you have any actual play sessions

I also posted this in another thread by mistake and feel like a complete and utter retard. Guess I'm just spreading the good word of Skerples

A magic item and a Quest* spell.
*You have to pay for the Quest.

Fine, I'll spell it out more clearly.

Local temples don't have anyone who can revive people. There may or may not be a person who can or a place that can somewhere in the world, but that's up to the DM and either way it's far away and would take basically an entire adventure.

As for prices, if you decide to have some? Either "more than you can afford" or "do this quest for me".

He posts play reports in his blog, I don't believe he records them or anything

Not sure. Ask me when I've made money off it.

Layout is the biggest time sink and requires the most expertise. Getting a PDF up is one thing; getting it ready for printing is another, and it's a specialized skill. Despite all the "bestselling RPG author" memes, I'm 1/3rd of the way to breaking even on art+editing for KtA. I've sold enough copies that I'd need to book a venue to host everyone, but not enough that I'd need to get catering. Even discounting my own time, I'm not likely to break even on it for ages, let alone turn a profit.

But there are lots of people that put up lazily formatted PDFs for a few bucks and make a decent living at it. So if you want my advice, if your goal is to make a lot of money, pick some clickbait generic title and throw a few d100 tables in a PDF.

But if you want to get respect or feel good about yourself... you need to put the hours in. It's not just about the money, it's about producing a product you feel good about, and that you can honestly recommend to people.
Do it.
Convert GP to XP when the PCs are safe. Could be safe enough to bury treasure in the ground, safe enough to sleep, or spend money in town.
A fuckton of money or something. Otherwise, why doesn't this spell dominate the setting?

What if it's a high magic world

What would the stats for namefags in /osrg/ be

I know you're reading this post, Jeremy

He has a blog with an email address. If you have questions, anime recommendations, or song recommendations for him you can send them there instead of shitting up the thread with circlejerk posts.

And fuck you for encouraging them.

>what is your preferred system for running Tomb of the Serpent King
I use a horrible hacked-together GLOG homebrew. It works. I like it. You should use whatever system you prefer; it's not system-specific, and I don't think system choice has much of an impact on the dungeon experience.
>Also do you have any actual play sessions
All on the blog. Check the index.
>Guess I'm just spreading the good word of Skerples
I feel sullied and unusual.
I tried, but when I played the tape back it was just static and faint bloodcurdling screams. So... I don't do that anymore.

Then it's a high magic world. Doesn't change anything about my answer.

I thought Jeremy was a meme?

Is there a 1d100 Table of Horrible Accusations out there somewhere? Crimes the PCs could be accused of but didn't commit?

Hey Skerples, what's your favourite anime

None that I know of. But let's take a moment to appreciate Space Dragons.

Help, how do I make an adventure

Check out Tales of the Dungeonesque & Grotesque. He probably has something to that effect in his "gothic D&D" pdfs.

>Maze of the Blue Medusa while I prep my own module.
What's your module about?

>As someone who has never read Conan and probably wouldn't like it

Are you aware that Conan the Meme bears only vague resemblance to Conan the character of short stories? Here, check out one of the early Dark Horse Conan comics by Busiek, they manage to get the guy right. (It's a shame Dark Horse's output went downhill so badly)

sendspace.com/file/nlomhs

Ironwood Gorge with the Bone Hilt Sword Campaign shoved in and Stonehell once I find a place for it.

Start with a concept (cursed vampire castle) or a setpiece (peasants fleeing through grainfields from a weretiger). Expand from there.

You can't tell someone to give a game that nobody will run a shot.

Last time I tried drumming up any interest in AS&SH, I only got one guy. Then it turned out he thought it was a DCC adventure anyway.

I'm doing DCC but it's just been a series of loosely strung together published modules and OPDs. Haven't really figured out if it's worth trying to do a campaign with a system that lends itself so well to being episodic like old sword and sorcery stories.

Reading any Conan story that isn't written by Robert E. Howard is a mistake. The Dark Horse comics are alright though.

c
But also read a lot of reviews. Negative ones, ideally. Figure out what common mistakes are and don't do that. Minimal read-aloud text. Don't use the module to disguise your failed novel. Edit down, not up.

I'll play with you user

Is Tomb of the Serpent King actually a good introductory module, or has Skerples just shilled it so much he's brainwashed people into thinking its good?

Location based adventure just needs a neat location (For example, an ancient city overrun with werewolves due to a cult gaining control of it). Flesh out the setting, and you don't need particularly deep characters

Character based adventures need a charismatic and hard to reach bad guy, but less planning needed for the individual locations. Generally, your heroes will be more reactive, so you can drag them from hamlet to dungeon to city just by leaving a trail of breadcrumbs: a lieutenant, a dead NPC, et cetera.

>The Dark Horse comics are alright though.

Yep. Much of the early ones are direct adaptations of the Howard stories, and they did their damnedest to be faithful, which I like. They started getting off course with later writers after Busiek left, sadly.

It's a good module, but not a good introductory module. Choosing a module to start your group off with is more of a "pick your poison" kind of deal.

None of his players learned any of the lessons and it's an awful module to run as a rookie referee.

Stargazer is better for new players and referees alike, both in term of 'lessons' and their delivery.

>But not a good introductory module
Why?

It's a decent intro to OSR style play (low hit points, save or die traps that require the player to be checked in rather then winging it)

It's a little cliche, but then again it doesn't have any pretensions of being anything more then a dungeon module that escalates in difficulty the further down you go.

Bryce gave the shitty non-edited 1.0 version an 11/22... which is fair.
G+ humans seem to like it. Some of the play reports were good. Some guys translated it into French and German. And people I haven't met keep shilling it on FB and reddit.
So either /lots/ of people are idiots (which is, given the evidence of the last few threads, completely possible), or I'm onto something. Only one way to find out.
Here's a great one to start with, if anyone wants to get into Conan. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_People_of_the_Black_Circle

It came off pretentious to me.

Isn't stargazer not really OSR though? It has no wandering monsters

Shhh, Raggi drones are patrolling.

c.
Though I disagree with the second half of that post. It's not bad, but the lesson is very much,
"be a paranoid freak all the time."

A lost city once thought mythical reveals itself by way of a call for help. As I've long since learned, players can't resist the call of "ancient ruin full of gold that invites people in", no matter how often it seems to get them killed. So now I get a reason to have people dive into a mythical city on the cusp of civil war.

What I've got so far is giving me a Fallen London vibe, which I *think* is a good thing. That's probably not super informative of an explanation, but I'm working on it still. Structuring things out is interesting. Working with BF RPG as my basis for rules but should work just fine with anything.

>None of his players learned any of the lessons
I'll object to that; some of them learned and are doing great. Some of them learned but decided dying in hilarious ways was more fun. Can't say I blame them.
>It's a little cliche,
It's a lotta cliche. I wrote it to be as cliche as possible. Can't enjoy the weird gonzo stuff if you don't have a reference point.

Everyone's always asking for introductory adventures, but I always just use some 0-level funnels from Dungeon Crawl Classics for mine. Tweak them a bit for whichever system you're using, but otherwise they seem to go over well.

>players can't resist the call of "ancient ruin full of gold that invites people in", no matter how often it seems to get them killed.
True facts.

So it's more of a city-crawl then, or is it all set in one big temple complex or something?

Let's take a moment to appreciate that he we had to yell at Skerples to get him to have a real table instead of
>This level also contains wandering monsters. Use whatever rolls you prefer. They are attracted to noise, light, and heat. They won't move to the upper layers of the dungeon.

Where is Asia in Greyhawk?

I've been going through Bryce's "the best" catalog, and ychn the tyrant and the following come with high praise. However, it doesn't really say anything as to how they run. Anyone have any comments on them?

BFRPG is a good basis.

Be sure to add a couple of "weenies", areas that can be seen from anywhere in the city to orientate the players

>weenies

You mean landmarks?

V1.0 was pretty much "you guys want this in a PDF? Well FINE! Have it in a PDF!" I put it together in ~2hrs total, including maps.

But I did learn a lot from the design process though. Gotta keep learning and improving.
Funnels are great too!

To the East.

Bryce is kind of an armchair DM. He still makes valid points though.

I'm pulling some inspiration from Veins of the Earth since I finally got a copy of it and setting it up as something of an expedition-meets-citycrawl. The old "thoroughfare" to the surface, so to speak, is long since collapsed and repurposed, so to *get* there involves exploring through its ruins as small dungeons and caving sections, leading to the city proper, at which point it goes more city-crawl. (I'd be happy to hear some references for modules/books that did city crawls right, by the way; I have a copy of Vornheim and detest it.) It's on the long end as far as length goes, at least in what I have planned out... but frankly, even if I'm the only one that ever uses it and it's too long for anyone else, I'll still be satisfied.

I'm working on putting others in besides the "Glass Sun". I've kinda been bouncing around since I have too much going on IRL to focus on writing heavily.

theoryofthemeparks.blogspot.com/2015/08/wayfinding-in-themed-design-weenie.html

Nope. "Weenies" is the correct term.

>Disney
Into the sphere of annihilation it goes.

They've been called "landmarks" for hundreds of years, I'm describing a world here, not a theme park. FOE, GYG.

WHAT THE FUCK IS A BEEF BOY

How are you supposed to make a class of a meme you don't get???

OK but stat your railgun

I'd argue that dungeon/module design is closer to theme park design than naturalistic cataloguing of terrain.

Steal from the Disney people. They've been designing stuff for years.

Now I want to make a dungeon that is some wizard's insanely deadly theme park.

The entire joke is that it looks funny and isn't a soyboy

It looks like a /v/ meme?
youtube.com/watch?v=oFAA1yPqCvo

guess who is still around

it me

I think I get how to read the table, but what's the difference between T, T*, D and D*?

Rolled 5, 5 = 10 (2d6)

What alignment do I need to be to turn robots? That's my alignment. Get ye gone.