/edhg/ EDH/Commander General

Big Beautiful Basics Edition

Don't look back in anger: →

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Unofficial and new, but has GOAT search interface and updates on time.
scryfall.com

>Thread Question
Do you invest time and money on pimping out your basic lands?

>Do you invest time and money on pimping out your basic lands?
no thats retarded. i just want to combo you out on turn 1 with sidisi ANT like god intended.

Only in a few cases. My Edgar deck has all Innistrad or SOI block basics, and my Kruphix deck has all BFZ Vincent Proce forests and Adam Paquette islands (I really like those two for whatever reason, and it's more or less on-theme because it's an Eldrazi deck). I eventually want to fill my entire OG Omnath deck with original Zendikar full art forests too, but I just haven't gotten around to it due to laziness.

This shit better fucking be in M25 or there's gonna be a fucking RIOT!

I bought the latest un-lands for Mina and Denn because they seem like they would be easier to search for, which the deck does a lot.
I'll eventually get around to thematic lands for other decks as well, but those will just be regular ones.

I have a few alters that my friend made, but other than that, I like to put the coolest basics in my favorite decks and have no duplicates except for maybe special cases. I have a few foil snow lands in my Ayli for example. My favorite of the said alters is in my best and most valuable deck. Most of the other basics are 7th edition foils, since they're just so pretty.

I always collect any chippy or snow basics when looking through LGS free basic sections. Have enough alara chippys to cover all 2 commander decks with those colors, and a modern deck.

I hope not, but then again I'm an asshole that likes to see my cards spike in value while people cry about prices. :^)

Foily basics are necessity in casual formats.

Love the mountain and forest user. Always been a big fan of deathrites art too, I know argyle is divisive, but I love his style.

Yeah I'm split on Argyle. Some of his stuff is 10/10 like Deathrite, Boob woman of the veil and Admonition Angel and some of his stuff just sucks ass like his Bloodbraid Elf that looks like barbie.

I feel ya. Deathrite is definitely his magnum opus. Though I do love monastery mentor and somberwald sage as a close 2nd/3rd.

>monastery mentor
woops meant swiftspear, my bad.

.It's cool i know which you meant.
Forgot about those two. They're also good.

Also forgot about Angelic Arbiter and Slave of Bolas. His angels are generally pretty good.

>playgroup consists of Zedruu, Yidris, omnathsfuckingpissed.jpg, Edgar, and Ramos
>decide to play planechase
>Turn 5ish Ramos buttfucks his way into Warp World hoping he could land some bigstuff
>Several board wipes occur moments later
>Grindy control game continues for two hours and a good 45 minutes of that were stuck in Mirrored Depths

We've all had a hellish game like that.

>plains
>it's a desert

beautiful but my autism can't handle this

I just ordered the G/W version of those lands for my Selvala deck.

10/10 choice.
Can't believe people hated Lorwyn.

They hated Lorwyn because of gamaplay mostly, that and the set wasn't "cool"

That is kind of funny actually. Science fiction art is my favorite, so I naturally gravitated towards the alara stuff. Master transmuter is probably one of my favorite pieces in magic.

Lorwyn too is a treasure art wise.

Now that I take a closer look at that art, is that supposed to be Breya before she went full etherium? She's the one that knows how to transmute etherium right?

Master Transmuter is such an odd card.

I can certainly see that. Kind of like nahiri and stoneforge mystic. Whatever works for you user! Really wish chippy did official playmats- dude seems really elusive/introverted.

Indeed, but man I love cheating out a darksteel forge turn 4/5.

I try to foil out all my lands in all my decks

>Birthing Pod'ing a 1-drop into Bloodghast, then Ramunap Excavator next turn
>With fetchland in the graveyard
Bloodghast is so much better in GB instead of Edgar, holy shit

golgari land decks are hilarious to pilot. Gitrog when not going for the tryhard combo is a fucking amazingly fun value engine

What's the most fun artifact based commander to play?

Mishra

Mishra or Kraj

So why is TCGplayer better to buy from than Starcity?

I already have several artifacts/lands in mind, but I was curious what you guys would use for the self-harm portion for this commander's deck.

Ideally it would tick over 1 per turn if artifact and the damage either be optional or something I can turn off if my commander/life gain on creature etb gets removed.

Supposedly, Breya made her own Etherium after finding that Sangrite (native to Jund) and Carmot (Elusive material needed for Etherium manufacture) were, if not the same thing, at least interchangable. So, presumably she would have been full meat back pre-merge or at least closer than master transmuter, who seems to have a similar level of the stuff to Breya.

That said, while I don't think it's a full, intended Master Of Arms/Gerrard or Taluruum Champion/Tahngarth "legend as nonlegend", it's a kind of fun headcanon.

Yup. But foil original shocks ain't cheap

Also finding original foil shocks that aren't curled like a fucking banana is difficult too.

Dingus Staff is pretty much the best option since it goes infinite with a Soul Sister and a sac outlet.

Cold Snap with a full compliment of Snow Lands could be kind of fun and flavorful. If you need it to stop, just refuse to pay its cumulative upkeep.

Karma + Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth is janky to pull in mono-white and can't be trivially shut off but if it fires it clocks the whole table.

Sorrow's path

>playing against another Edgar deck in my play group
>haven't played my commander yet
>use Captivating Vampire to steal opponent's Edgar
>get double eminence triggers everytime a vampire is played

Nice choice those are the lands I've been using for selvala for years
Easily my favorite ones

>Talking about basics
>But not best basics
Shit format, shit taste

>he taps his cards to the left

Or Unfortunately - The Land as it's now known.

Unhinged was so shit they set fire to it.
The Bob Ross art however is nice/10

I like the idea behind karma + Tomb, but it feels that it would be unreliable as you need 2 cards to get any benefit

Cold snaps upkeep is a bit exspensive for what it does and my play group dont run snow-covereds so I cant get any additional benefits from that either

I'm definitely putting in dingus staff. Another one I liked was torture chamber, scared it will hurt you too much just use it to revenge kill a creature.

C17 sucked camel ass.

Interesting, this could definitely be a fun card to use in the deck. Unfortunately it's "2 damage to each creature you control" will kill most of my non soldiers aka the clerics keeping me alive.
It's fairly cheap though, I might give it a shot.

What you do is use Path, Stuffy Doll targeting yourself, and Kor Chant to eat all the damage.

Oh, and give stuffy Lifelink if you think it's too dangerous

I fucked up, Kor Chant does NOT do what I thought it did, you have to be able to redirect everything.

Yeah, it did suck. But it wasn't too bad, there are some ridiculous exclusives at least.
At least it was better than some of the other products wizards shits out.

Bubble Matrix, my friend.

Arabs are canonically white creatures in MTG.

Martyrdom. That's the card I was thinking. Lets Stuffy Doll eat all the damage off your other creatures, damaging you. With lifelink on Stuffy you won't have to worry even if the sum is truly insane.

I like that...
Would it interfere with Jade Monolith?

I'm pretty sure you could stack a Jade Monolith activation on top of the Bubble Matrix trigger, but I'm not 100%.

Have you considered Personal Incarnation?

I just use full art Zendikar lands and call it a day. I bought a big box of them for like $20 so I'll never run out.

Aurelia, the Warleader which I'm convinced is the best boros commander. Every time I play against a new person with her, they inevitably comment on how surprised they are with a boros commander's power level.

People hatred Lorwyn? It was my favorite block.

I don't like the lifeloss on death, but otherwise it could be good.
I just like how I can also use jade on an opponent's creatures.

Holy shit, I need those lands. John Avon a shit. I'm not a bob ross fanboy, but you can't deny those results.

>he still haven't swallowed the kev walker redipillu

at least it had teferis protection. Its quickly become my favorite white card ever.

I vividly remember people whining like crazy about the fairy tale aesthetic and lack of dragons and cool dudes in armor back when it came out.

>Arabs are canonically white creatures in MTG.
humans have always been in all 5 colors. arabian nights was no exception.

Nope. It's one of the least warping commander sets we've ever had. The decks and their commanders are engineered specifically toward casual, which is much better compared to what we get

Kev Walker is ok.

just plebs hated it
the draft environment was super high skilled due to changelings, and the art is one of the best in the game (definitely top 3 sets)
the power level was strong across all rarities, and mythic didn't exist yet

second best set of Magic IMO

>The draft enviroment
Oh, you mean the draft enviroment that even pros went to time in game 2?

Good taste friend. What were your other top 2?

>if it's slow it's bad

If the majority go to time, that is true

>the draft environment was super high skilled due to changelings
Until morningtide went in, at least. Either that or I was playing with a bunch of shitters to take four consecutive FNMs forcing Faerie Rogues. I wanted that playset of crypts and new how to get them. Seems stupid now, though.

I kind of agree with you on the look and feel. It's a little lower down for me, but in the grand scheme of things? Fairly High?

My top list for art & Flavor: Homelands, Ice Age, Urza's, Fallen Empires, Time Spiral, Shadowmoor, Lorwyn, Innistrad, Kamigawa, and then we get into sectional pulls like New Phyrexia and Esper while Mirrodin and the rest of Alara rate fairly low)

Anyone have a decent and fun Xenagod list?

Mirage definitely up there, amazing art on a big number of cards, and maybe possibly Odyssey.

Overall, after Alara, the art became more and more CG focused until there almost no humanity or personal touch in the art today (Seb mckinnon is an exception but that's it)

I dont follow or care about the pros. I remember the drafting experience fondly, and we never had that much of a problem with going to time in most of the Lorwyn games at my LGS when we used to play it

good stuff mate.
all sets have good art and bad art, it's just that i feel the most recent ones are heavy on the low end of the curve, and the old sets are full of gems

what are your top janky wincons to confound enemies and impress friends?

Magosi, the Waterveil combo in Patron of the Moon

basically this whole deck is janky wincons

Don't have my list at the ready, but if you aren't running Malignus and Blightsteel you're doing it wrong. Oran Rief Hydra and Akoum Hellkite are great too if you're mana ramping.

Yeah it's
Xenogod x 1
36 lands
15 ramp spells and rocks
15 standard green and red removal and protection
23 huge immovable big men
10 small efficient will big big ty Xenagod useful men

I kind of agree but I do have some big picture caveats on that

First, we've absolutely lost most of the top-tier standouts. The last art that I can remember really Wowing me (not counting promos or masterpieces, I think there might have been an invocation or two worth writing home about) was Pale Rider of Trostad in SoI. Before that it was probably... something out of Tarkir? See the Unwritten is the first card that comes to mind. Tarkir was the last setting to have a really good visual style, and then only really in the Khans timeline, the dragon broods felt kind of phoned in by comparison though Ojutai and Silumgar had a couple of good pieces, if not really astounding. But the Temur and Jeskai really knocked it out of the park.

All the same, we don't have quite as many notable failures either. The push for this homogenized digital art has robbed us of a good deal of genius as the cost for avoiding as many "Too late, print it anyway" moments. Personally I don't think it was a good trade given how fucking ugly the new stuff can get while still being technically 'good' art but I see why WotC made it.

IMO the golden age for Magic art was pretty much Tempest/Urza's standard, where we had good world design but also enough artists with enough freedom to create great stuff. Jeremy Jarvis did a good job trying to recover that, picking up the pieces Cranford left behind, and we have him to thank for a lot of commendable designs. Since Jarvis left us with Dawn Murin and co things have been on a real downward slide but it's not hopeless: We haven't hit Legions-5th Dawn level bullshit yet.

Does Azor's Gateway go in every deck?

Is it as powerful as I think it is?

Who is the most fun Portal 3k commander? I've got my eye on this guy

Seems janky as fuck to me.
>Have to pitch 5 cards with different cmc that you could otherwise use for yourself
>Can't do shit with it unless flipped
>Still potentially useless depending on life total

+assault suit

everybody will love you

It's slow as shit looting and the flip is amazingly telegraphed: your opponents have at LEAST 3 turns to answer it, in a collective sense, and they can wait until you've exiled some actual gas to "get there" to rub it out. It goes in CA-and-ramp starved red and white decks, but not in anything with black (that would prefer graveyard play and draws cards like a champ) or green (That ramps to hell way easier, AND has good GY interaction and CA itself)

Yeah, it's super OP. It was banned by my group.

Ok /edh/ what is your favorite commander to play with and your least favorite to play against?
>Favorite to play with
Nekusar
>Least favorite to play against
Breya

>friend keeps laughing because I'm fond of old keywords like horsemanship
>thinks it's stupid when I make a deck around it
>his face when I hit him for lethal over a fucking wall of blockers
No honour, no mercy.

I actually read it as needing to exile total converted mana cost of 5, not 5 different mana costs. Less good than i thought, but still sends like a cheap repeatable looting effect if nothing else.

I really want to try out Nekusar but I am sure my table will hate me for it.

Dong zhou, the mad tyrant as secret commander in a jeskai flicker deck

Now you just need to make a banding deck

>Favorite to play with
Ink-Treader
>Least favorite to play against
Anything tribal is boring. Most tutor commanders are boring. Linear combo and goodstuff are boring.

It is worth noting that loot-to-exile is usually far worse than loot-to-grave since the GY is a more lively zone. If you've got no grave play, sure, there's no difference but most decks will run at least a little.

I guess it beats Jaulum Tome, but nobody plays Jaulum Tome for good reason. Similarly, you're not playing gateway if you don't have at least some intention of flipping.

As much as I like Mishra, he's really boring when you don't get one of the like 4 cards that work with him. He does get bonus points for being an artifact commander in UR though.

Oh baby that'd be a dream to pilot
>NO I DECIDED WHO BLOCKS FIRST MWHAHAHA
Would vehicles be good in a banding deck?

More sellers with better prices available. I'd also never support Star City directly because they're a big part of inflating secondary market prices.

I dunno, but with the rule that allows 1 creature without banding to join a band you can probably do some stupid stuff.

Wish I could tell you different but yeah. 100% you are going to catch some serious hate. The only reason mine does so well in my playgroup is because I build some control instead of going full glass cannon. Mindcrank+Bloodchief Ascension is stupid easy to pull off in that deck too.