Examples of evil gods?

I’m looking into how to make an evil god, and I don’t mean a member of a pantheon I want the singular big bad god to be evil

I’ve been looking for real world examples and can’t seem to find examples of this (hurt...durr Christian god-please no) and google just brings up the problem of evil philosophy again and again.

So anons how do you make something like this work?
Is it doomed to be edgy?
Do you know of any real world religions that do this?

Other urls found in this thread:

manyebooks.org/download/is_god_a_moral_monster_making_sense_of_the_old_testament_god_by_copan_paul_published_by_baker_books_2011.pdf
books.google.ge/books?id=BReXJwwE_D8C&pg=PA74&lpg=PA74&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Is it doomed to be edgy?
Edgy doesn't exclude fun or well written

Do Satan and Angra Mainyu count?

There is a certain political "religion" that fits the bill. Can't recall what it is. Camels and sand and exploding adherents...

>Angra Mainyu

This.

Also, some would make a case for Chernabog.

Possibly Loki (and his offspring).

Satan isn’t a god.

>Satan isn't a god.

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for but you might look into Zoroastrianism's Angra Mainyu.

>Possibly Loki
Does being a dick to dicks count as evil?

Loki is certainly evil at the end of Ragnarök. Seth, Apophis, maybe Rudra. Kali may not be evil, but she is certainly a much more bloodthirsty than you might expect from a good god. Somewhat Ares, who really only cares about bloodshed. Maybe Nergal.

To some degree, yeah.
The later in the stories, the worse he gets.

YHWY?
He comes across as pretty strongly Lawful Evil.

According to the Bible, YHWH wishes for everything in heaven and earth to obey him unconditionally. He hates it when his creations gain understanding and knowledge, he wants them to live simple lives of ignorance devoted only to worshiping him.

He banished Lucifer to hell for daring to question his authority.
He lied to the first humans that the fruit of the tree of knowledge would kill them, and banished them from paradise when they learned the truth and gained the knowledge he wished to deprive them of.
He is the enemy of the Watchers, fallen angels who taught man forbidden arts such as writing with ink and paper and how to make ornaments, swords and cosmetics.
He raises armies of the dead and brings about natural disasters to destroy mortals who do not bend to his will.

He's epitomises the role of the Tyrant. The absolute ruler who wants his subjects to live in ignorance and stamps out any threat to his dominion.

just look at every god in a JPRG

if you're going for believable evil gods you have to remember the line "everyone is the hero of their own story"

Elder Scrolls has Sithis, which is described as "complete and utter antipathy". A "god" that wants nothing more than for everything living to die because life disgusts it and/or bothers it's eternal rest somehow.

On your knees for the master! The hour has come! HE has come! Who is beyond good and evil? Who is the prophet of Anti-Life? Lord of Omega? Who is the Rock, the Chain, and the Lightning? All powerful! All unforgiving! All conquering! WHO IS YOUR NEW GOD NOW AND FOREVER?
Darkseid is.

God was an even more malicious in Devilman.

He cursed Satan into a time loop where he continuously has to experience losing the only person he ever loved.

The Odgru Jahad - the Seven Who Are One

Who?

Everything thats Evil for the sake of being Evil IS Edgy.

Give his actions justification. make his goals understandable, but his actions immoral.

your fantasy world is destined to face its apocalypse, so this God does (VERY IMMORAL THING) to prevent it from happening.

I mean, if he's THE SINGLE God of your world, theres no reason for him to does destructible stuff to it at all, except if this is not his goal, but his cause.

Sir Jim Jaspers could be a good inpiration for THE only evil god - A Reality Warper that creates monsters and disaster for shits and giggels.

What comic is this? The adventures of the first autistic supervillian?

just do someone pic related.

He has his own cult/religion that sees him as benevolent... but in a campaign you could have your players figure out that behind the facade of benevolent god hes just a giant douche with an ulterior motive.

Nay, Black Manta is the first canon autistic villain.

Captain Britain: Crooked World

The OP specifically mentioned that he wasn't talking about Christian God

Remember the first episode of South Park where Kenny died and stayed dead, and Chef had to explain to Stan why people die? Like that. Bad things are for his entertainment and so that our tears will give him more power, and good things are there because you have to give someone something first before taking it away.

Loki isn't truly evil. Ragnarok only happened because loki was a cross dressing fag and Oden said fuck that guy

He's not the supreme being, though. He's just a really mean seven-headed dragon who was made by some angels as a goof.

This little story may help you.

Tl;dr

Apep/Aphophis and Hel

Imagine Black Manta as an evil god. He is bound in some prison and only small amounts of his power could leak through the "walls", but he really, really hates everyone on a very personal level.

He is not okay with just killing people - he also wants them to suffer. And he spends time to devise unique ways to break every single little sapient creature on the planet.

>Satan
>god

Well, here's the thing: In realworld mythologies evil gods fill one or two jobs, to scare people into complying with the good gods and priests and the other to be placated to avoid disasters.

This does not sound like what you want, so here's what I say: Sit down and think about what role he plays. He is the big bad, ok why?
Is she actively involved with the real world or simply granting power? etc etc

Make a character, a theme and such. Then turn that into a divinity and have him fulfill the job you set out for her in your story.

Don't start with the end product, built it from the ground up.

Also, honestly despite your misgivings Yahweh the lord of hosts, aka christian/jew/muslim God is a fantastic example of an evil, tyrannical overbearing divinity demanding subjugation and conquest.

But to actually answer your question I'd look into the various mesopotamian myths, Nergal (to an extent), Pazuzu, Lamashtu etc.

Basically any area with uncertain rain/drought cycles or frequent disasters will have 'evil' gods responsible for them, who needs to be placated to keep them away.

>I’ve been looking for real world examples and can’t seem to find examples of this
Islamic concept of God comes quite close to this.
He completely determins your fate, you cant call him father (you can only approach to him as a slave), requests bloodshed to spread his religion throughout the planet... and he mentioned that if humans wouldn't sin, he would destroy us and make other creatures that would sin so that they would sin, allowing him to forgive them to display his mercy.

AM from i have no mouth and i must scream.

>Angra Mainyu
good answer.

Angra Mainyu is the god of evil in Zoroastrianism, the incarnation of all that is evil. All even on a micro and macro scale is fragments of Angra Mainyu, contending with Ahura Mazda at every level of existence.
Angra Mainyu is not a dark being without will. At the moment of his rejection of Ahura Mazda and his light, he announced "it is not that I cannot create beautiful things, but that I will not".

>Yahweh the lord of hosts, aka christian/jew/muslim God is a fantastic example of an evil, tyrannical overbearing divinity demanding subjugation and conquest.
you... do realize that Jewish state remained in the borders of Canaan without conquering other lands and creating massive empires, and that Christianity is literally mocked by /pol/tards because of "turn the other cheek" policy towards enemies...
but... pffff, who gives a fuck about that, atleast I am enlightened by my intelligence right?

I will give to you the dark god Whiro from Maori mythology. Dude was a bad motherfucker.
From wikipedia:
In Māori mythology, Whiro (or Hiro in the Tuamotus) is the lord of darkness, or the embodiment of all evil. He is the brother and enemy of Tāne. He inhabits the underworld and is responsible for the ills of all persons. In some versions of this story, when people die, their bodies descend into the underworld, where they are eaten by Whiro. Each time Whiro eats a body, he becomes stronger. This process will eventually make him sufficiently powerful to break free of the underworld, at which point he will come to the surface and devour everything and everyone on it. Cremation is therefore recommended to prevent this, because Whiro cannot gain strength from ashes.

They also conquered cities, raped, murdered, plundered and enslaved explicitly in the name of their god who they believed personally intervened to grand them victory.

But fuck me, a zombie carpenter said something about being nice, forget the whole "I come with a sword to turn son against father" and all that shit.

Christianity has been tamed by civilized society, so had Judaism. Do not mistake this for a kind and peaceful religion

Yaldabaoth, the Demiurge.
Not YHWH. The Gnostic caricature of YHWH.
A finite being with vast power, but not infinite power. It cannot perceive any divine power above itself (though Gnosticism asserts many exist), and so it thinks of itself as the lord of all creation, and all within it must worship it or suffer.
Vain, cruel, greedy, merciless. Yaldabaoth is an unending tide of sin and malevolence, who dominates the material reality that he created - not the whole universe, but just the physical. Souls are not ruled by him, merely dominated so long as they are alive in a mortal form.

Look at demons and then just scale them up. Most demons are just tribal gods that got downgraded when the big religions took over.

Blind Idiot Gods are always a fun concept to play with.

>They also conquered cities, raped, murdered, plundered and enslaved explicitly in the name of their god who they believed personally intervened to grand them victory.
The reasons for extermination of Canaanites is listed in the Torah. It included child sacrifices, sacred prostitution and kinky stuff like that. Also, the actions that you posted are mostly asspulls. Murder is by definition unlawful killing, and rape was forbidden for them and counted as fornication (which was punishable by stoning), they didn't plunder anything, but in most cases burned the cities and the riches within as herem and took nothing for them. As for enslavement, it was an economical system back then.
>But fuck me, a zombie carpenter said something about being nice, forget the whole "I come with a sword to turn son against father" and all that shit.
You dont even understand the meaning of those words, or judging from your tone, dont even want to, but in any case, weapon here implies spiritual truth to fight against evil and second part about parting families is true too, many that would convert to Christianity would be killed by their own family members, most prominent of them being Saint Barbara.
>Christianity has been tamed by civilized society, so had Judaism. Do not mistake this for a kind and peaceful religion
Yeah, I get that you are pissed off because your daddy forced you to go to church, or that rabbi chopped your peepee skin (although judging by sheer amount of ignorance about religious matters in your post, I assume that you're an americlap, so I wont exclude the latter in non-Jewish cases anyways), but your subjective views dont change objective facts.

Looks like the well has run dry. Let's share ideas on how to write evil gods for our games.

Basically only normal answer here was about Ahriman

This is fun.

Ok, so they went out and murdered a lot of people, I do not count "not agreeing with my religion" as a legitimate reason for killing, as you seem to imply. Glad we at least agree that they were more then happy to stab people they didn't like.

As for enslavement...yes, yes it was. But I'd call it evil, on the basis that I wouldn't want to be enslaved or see anyone I care about being enslaved. The famous rule of "as long as the slave didn't die until a few days after the beating its A-ok!" also implies some rather horrid circumstances.
I am curious to see if you would denounce the practice, as it is wholly endorsed by Yahweh. I myself think humanity has progressed since then.

and fyi, I'm a europe. Never even christened, I find the religious mindset utterly alien and infinitely interesting. The myths too are fascinating.

Ahriman and Yaldabaoth I'd say, if you treat Gnosticism as a real religion at least.

>ctrl-f "crom"
>0 results

Seriously Veeky Forums?

OP, Crom from Conan should help a lot. Followers curse him for being a dick and avoid praying to him so as to not draw his attention.

>so they went out and murdered a lot of people, I do not count "not agreeing with my religion" as a legitimate reason for killing
Uhuh, lets ignore that child sacrifice and bestiality stuff mentioned before...
>As for enslavement...yes, yes it was....
Enslavement is practically old way of employement, first of all. As for the law you mention, this was about "beating with a rod" or a non-lethal weapon, which was basically an old days law enforcement. In other words to injure one with that, you should've try hard to do that. If he was so severely injured that he would die in several days, you were obviously so harsh and evil that you didn't even consider importance of human life, in which case, you would be punished... by death. On the other hand, if he would last longer, it would imply that you didnt mean to injure and kill him and this was a mere accident. But no matter what, human lives counted.
>I am curious to see if you would denounce the practice, as it is wholly endorsed by Yahweh.
Eh no. There are unwritten laws that imply which one is an ideal condition and which one isnt. God made Adam and Eve, intending lawfulness of the polygamy, but due to perversion of mankind and certain circumstances, polygamy was allowed so that women would have supporters in the old days. God made Humans free, meaning that slavery is not good. However, given flawed human economic system it was allowed for a while and regulated to not turn it into an even worse mess.
Generally this book is a quite good starter for such cases:
manyebooks.org/download/is_god_a_moral_monster_making_sense_of_the_old_testament_god_by_copan_paul_published_by_baker_books_2011.pdf
For slavery exactly, you can read works St. Gregory of Nyssa
>and fyi, I'm a europe. Never even christened, I find the religious mindset utterly alien and infinitely interesting. The myths too are fascinating.
Nice try. I have never seen European so ignorant on the matter.

>For slavery exactly, you can read works St. Gregory of Nyssa
to be more exact, the Homilies on Ecclesiastes
books.google.ge/books?id=BReXJwwE_D8C&pg=PA74&lpg=PA74&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

>I got me slave-girls and slaves.' For what price, tell me? What did you find in existence worth as much as this human nature? What price did you put on rationality? How many obols did you reckon the equivalent of the likeness of God? How many staters did you get for selling that being shaped by God? God said, Let us make man in our own image and likeness. If he is in the likeness of God, and rules the whole earth, and has been granted authority over everything on earth from God, who is his buyer, tell me? Who is his seller? To God alone belongs this power; or, rather, not even to God himself. For his gracious gifts, it says, are irrevocable. God would not therefore reduce the human race to slavery, since he himself, when we had been enslaved to sin, spontaneously recalled us to freedom. But if God does not enslave what is free, who is he that sets his own power above God's?

Yea, the child sacrifice, *prostitution* and all that. Worthy of being killed for, your own words. It's called a Casus Belli, the pretext used for justifying conflict.

Slavery is acceptable, because god says so... That makes god evil, and you an advocate of evil. If god did not like it he could have said so, alongside the other 613 commandments. I'm sure there would have been room somewhere in there right in between "Do not wear garments of mixed fabric" and the ban of yeasted bread for holidays.

Also I don't think you ment polygamy, that's multiple wives, monogamy is the one with one wife. Not gonna hold it against you my friend, words are difficult sometimes.

I don't understand what Adam and Eve has to do with slavery tho? Outside of them being basically gods pets in the garden/zoo and then exiled for the crime of learning right from wrong. Something which should be lauded as an accomplishment, something we all strive to each our children.

I'm sure you are a lovely person but I find the things you say to be utterly reprehensible. I very much hope one day you will grow up, or failing that at least never acting on your faith.

Crom is neutral at best. He rewards those who struggle with strength, and he despises weakness. But he doesn't seem to go out of his way to fuck people over.

>Yea, the child sacrifice, *prostitution* and all that. Worthy of being killed for, your own words.
Uhm, yes? Child sacrifices are enough reason for me to be quite honest, ignoring rest, like bestiality and so on.
>Slavery is acceptable, because god says so...
>in there right in between "Do not wear garments of mixed fabric" and the ban of yeasted bread for holidays.
yeah, when one goes to mixed fabrics, I see that argumant takes a really unserious form
>Also I don't think you ment polygamy
yeah, my bad. that was a typo
>I don't understand what Adam and Eve has to do with slavery tho?
I was using it as an example of unwritten laws, I dont think that its hard enough to understand
>Outside of them being basically gods pets in the garden/zoo and then exiled for the crime of learning right from wrong.
again showing ignorance regarding the subject. They weren't pets, but masters of creation for whom everything was made. And "eating the fruit meme" is about disobedience and since God is also ontologically Goodness, Love, Justice and so on, it automatically meant rebellion against these. Also, they already knew what was good and evil, since they knew that it was a big nono.
>I'm sure you are a lovely person but I find the things you say to be utterly reprehensible. I very much hope one day you will grow up, or failing that at least never acting on your faith.
I'm not lovely, at all. But I do hope and wish best for you in any case, be it spiritual or material.

Also more exactly about Canaanites, mind that Israelites had to keep themselves pure and keep away from degeneracy especially, since ti was a tribe, where messiah would arrive. So prime reason for expulsion of Canaanites was this. And also, It is written, that Jews didnt do it and Book of Judges mentions Canaanites after settlement, which is one of the reasons why idolatry was a problem in Israel for centuries and even later kings like Menasseh did such abhorrent acts as sacrificing children.

Conan is fictional, user.

Try reading "Nameless", it's a more eldritchy vibe but a neat comic

>brings up the problem of evil philosophy again and again
Well, people believe in gods to have a purpose to live so gods described as "evil" probably wouldn't give a purpose to anyone.

Maybe you can use different religions to make a god "evil" because is from another religion, if you want it extreme take something like nazism, a god want "his" breed or people to dominate others because they are superior or worthy.

Or plain chaotic and the god proclaims the growth of species would overpopulate the earth and so the only answer is carnage and slaughter.

With the first paragraph I imply that no god is inertly evil or good, that depends in the setting and who tells the story.

Zeus was a womanizer who shapeshifts into different animals to seduce and fuck women even when he was married, he also imprison his dad (because he wants to eat Zeus previous to this event so maybe Chronos deserves that)

Old american natives would belive in Yahweh (the european monoteist god) as an evil one, but he is a benevolent god to europe (at least in that epoch).

>lore gets retconned all the time in dozens of different ways by shitty authors and their Mary Sue self-insert "prophets"

At least the Old Testament had some good shit in it.

Satan's an archangel, in the nine choirs of heaven that's like being the master garbageman.

So is every other god

Ahriman and Ahoera Mazda inspired the two primal gods Ive used in my campaign.
They are intended to work off each other. One is destruction, the other creation. Together they are in balance. If either would become more powerful it would be disastrous.

The god of destruction tends to be demonized by mortals. Which makes sense. In their eyes Death, destruction and chaos are evil.
The god of creation, order and life tends to be considered the good one. But if it were to win creation would become a terrible place. Life would become a cancer, everything would become one uniform, monstrous growth.

So they are in a ying/yang relationship, but because neither are fully understood they become good and evil in the eyes of their followers. And let's be honest, not many people will like a god that's actively trying to kill them.

Sure, but it's more powerful than any other single entity in the setting; the Judeo-Christian God doesn't seem to exist (or if he does, doesn't do anything and so may as well not).

There doesn't seem to be much of a difference between it and a god of evil, at least not in practical terms.

I've had an idea in my mind for the longest time; Dragon God Wyrmthal
Domains:Fire, Vengeance, Martial Honour
Having been forsaken and exiled by other gods aeons past, Wyrmthal has returned and extends his reach to mortals. Thousands upon thousands rally to his cause, their intent being the ravaging the world and purging it from followers of other gods.

This may sound as a fucking cliche, but the Elder Gods in the Cthuluh Mythos can be considered evil, even if they're too alien and strange compared to the conception of reality of mortal characters within the Mythos. Shub Niggurath and Hastur come to mind, taking into account how they interact with mortals.
It's really hard to find a real life religion with an evil deity as head of its pantheon/myths, since the basis of religion is, from my point of view, having one big, magical guy watching over you and making sure everything goes fine as long as you follow the rules.

It does. It's been mentioned here and there that there is a supreme god in the Hellboyverse; the one who created the Watchers (who, in turn, created the Ogdru-Jahad, or at least one of them did).
I think it was in The Island where this weird monster guy told Hellboy about the "self-creating energy known as God". But yes, God in the Hellboyverse is pretty much inactive.

What actions do you consider evil and how would his followers act?

Would they kill themselves freely, if their superior could not rule through fear?
Or would they respect authority, but at the same time use cunning and backstab to rise through the ranks?
A combination of both?
Or there would be little to no infighting, their followers being united as soldiers in an army versus the rest of the world?

Would they be hidden amongst the populace of a good/neutral leaning (think Sith)?
Would they be an unstoppable horde coming from a mysterious place (Think Atilla or Genghis Khan)?
Would they be from an extremely brutal and evil nation (Think Naggarond or Mordor)?

Real life examples of evil ideologies:

Islam
Nazism
NK Communism, or communism in general.

>captain Britain

And yeah, what said

Ordering the butchering and enslavement of millions, making a pact with a single tribe and then ordering the extermination of all others, constantly demanding worship and sacrifice, bringing cataclysms to those who do not bend to your will are all justEvilGodThings

Sithis wouldn't make a good antagonist though, as it's a literal non-entity, it is the antithesis of existence, literal nothingness. It's hard to to have a dramatic final battle against yawning oblivion.

This is not a new idea, and if you look at certain old testaments stories YVWH does come across as being kind of a dick. It's what underpinned the Chathars beliefs that old and new testament Gods were separate entities as their behaviors were very different. The turn the other cheek thing is a very new testament sentiment, the old testament is you shall not suffer a with to live, etc.

OP said he wanted a good evil god not a good evil antagonist.

allah

Consider:

Satan is in a religion where the standard for "god" is omnipotence.

By the standard of any other religion, he's a god.

>christianity
>mocked by nu/pol/

nu/pol/ is nothing but r/the_donald crossposters, old/pol/ is dead

He is the god of this World, but not God.

>He is the enemy of the Watchers, fallen angels who taught man forbidden arts such as writing with ink and paper and how to make ornaments, swords and cosmetics.

I'm not sure you're getting any of this from the actual Bible...

Tyrannical sky-gods like Enki are doing a pretty good job, especially if you’re a free spirit.
Outcast gods like Hades make villains for a lawful character.

Tyler.

its a meme from book of enoch

I really like Torak from the Belgariad. He's still a god like figure but also very human.

I'll make an evil god the same way you would make an evil character. Many people believe if the Devil were to have a physical form he wouldn't be ugly and mean but instead extremely handsome and friendly. You attract more flies with honey. Most cult leaders in the real world only got as far as they did due to their silver tongues and ability to lie out of everything.

If you want an outright evil god then the odds are no one would worship him and he would be seen more as a demon/djinn/whatever. Maybe google up well known evil hindu djinns and use those to inspire you.

Loki also is not a god

Vzno

Really, it depends on what your god wants. Does he want to destroy the world? Enslave it? Does he just want people to do bad things? Why? Is he prideful, and mad at the other gods? Or does he just fufill negative values of a culture, lie pridefullness, arrogance, deciet, wrath, etc.? Are his motives even knowable?

As far as real life "evil" religions go, I think the main ones that are considered evil (at least coming from a Western perspective) all involved human sacrifice. The Druids, Babylonians, Aztecs, and various other cultures killed people to appease their gods. You can also just have them violate taboos or make them strange, such as making them ritualistic cannibals.

Another key to making an intersting diety is that it's important that the cultists believe what they're doing is right. Whether that's a strange perspective or moral code (such as personal actualization is preferable to helping others) or the belief that what they're doing saves the world or even just themselves by staving off an angry god, that's what will really sell it. The Aztecs killed tousands so that the sun would rise each day. Celts would burn people in giant wicker men or throw them in bogs for indiscernible reasons. Cathaginians burned babies alive to Baal/Moloch, probably for some fertility ritual since Baal Hammon was a fertility god. What a god asks of his followers, and what they're willing to do for him, are a really good way to make an evil god.

The Archangels as a group and the archangels as a choir are not the same thing