Metal Juggernaut edition

Metal Juggernaut edition.

Discuss the lore and story of the Warcraft franchise and its application in and around traditional games.

>Document compendium: Contains official (ex-canon) DnD 3.x variants and a fan made DnD 5e version! Also contains the official Warcraft Chronicles volumes 1 and 2.
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B52pEESRLwfBM3V0Sm5NTlBITlk

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

wow.gamepedia.com/Wu_Shen
youtube.com/watch?v=dshMpNtjD8Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Based wow fags

We out here

Here's my theoretical diagram of Warcraft's cosmology, containing the only things that matter, the elements and the dichotomy between the Light and the Void.

Reminder, arcane, fel, life and death aren't cosmic forces of any significance in the setting, they're just byproducts of the Light and the Void. You can tell this by the fact that they're lower-case, unlike the Light and the Void.

>arcane, fel, life and death aren't cosmic forces of any significance in the setting, they're just byproducts of the Light and the Void

Fuck off, bookfag. Play the fucking game.

Reminder that the void is just a derivative of the Light.

But it's all wrong. Without Light being there, Void wouldn't came to be.

But the Void and the Light both existed before the universe started. arcane, fel, life and death are products of the universe created by the Light and the Void.

here's my upgraded chart

What exactly is the Forsaken end game? I don't mean Sylvanas, I mean the Forsaken. Do they just generally hate humanity and just watch to kill them for being rejected? If they got rejected dosen't that mean theres living Lordaeronians who still have a claim to the region anyways? Do the Forsaken actually belive they are the kingdom of Lordaeron and sylvanas is their queen?

The Forsaken don't have an end game. The entire faction is an extension of Sylvanas.

Depends on the Forsaken. Some legitimately use "For Lordaeron!" as their battle cry. Some want to exterminate the living. Some just hang out and eat sandwiches, if that's what they're into. Some try to research new forms of necromancy. And Sylvanas is their Queen for now. Some would do anything for her, and some barely give a fuck about her.

So they got no end game? Got it.

Anyone else think blizz should add a Wakanda humans on some lost continent on Azeroth. Would explain the black humans in lore.

Depends on the Forsaken. Some think being undead is fucking awesome. Some absolutely hate it.

I'll throw my shitty hat in the ring.

A few thoughts:
>The Great Dark Beyond is just straight up outer space
>The elements are more than just forces, and are substances that make up much of the matter in the universe. We know this because of alchemy.
>The elemental plane, as far as I can tell, is something unique to Azeroth specifically, though most worlds have elementals
>the Twisting Nether exists alongside the Great Dark, but it's not a 1:1 sort of thing because of how fucked up the Nether is in terms of time and space
>Fel is an energy that hangs out in the most roiling, chaotic bits of the Nether, and is generally unsafe
>the reason Arcane can lead to Fel is that Arcane lets you dick around with physical reality, which can cause some Nether-ish stuff to happen. They're otherwise unrelated sources of power.
>Also, Ley Lines are a thing, so I guess Arcane is something that exists.

Trolls are your blacks.

You're responding to a joke post, but I guess here's how I'd do it.
>Void and Light are purest on the edges of reality, but exist throughout everything else.
>The Dark Beyond and Twisting Nether, represented by Fel and Arcane, are two ways Void and Light can intermingle to form a physical universe.
>Life and Death are born from the effect Light and Void have on these realities.
>Planes like the Shadowlands formed as these powers grew in strength. The Shadowlands coming to exist at about the same time mortal life did. Chronicles leaves the origins of the Emerald Dream vague, but similar planes may exist elsewhere in more primitive fashion. Unmolded by the Titans. Which is why Druids would be able to use their powers on entirely different worlds.
>The Elements represent the physical forces.

How come the human kingdoms are all knights and stuff?

Where's the barbarian tribes of humans and the Roman Empire expy?

>Do the Forsaken actually belive they are the kingdom of Lordaeron
Kingdom of Lordaeron discredited itself and is gone forever. Forsaken, however, believe that they are the legitimate successors to the previous state. It's an Imperial China/PRC type of situation in more ways than one. Although Undercity is much more direct in its reclamation of lost territories.
>sylvanas is their queen
She's more of a saviour figure than an actual monarch. "Banshee Queen" is just a title without much meaning.

Their end game is to gather all of former Lordaeron and then ensure their safety by any means necessary. Well, not entirely - creating undead without free will is the one thing that's completely unacceptable.

'cus the lore isn't deep enough for ambiguity

You'll take your standard fantasy humans and you'll like them.

Because romans are shit and every single setting that uses them is shit.

Because they all evolved from Vikings.

>Where's the barbarian tribes of humans
They ceased to exist once the Arathi forced all the others to unite under them, and the Gilnean colonists exterminated the last holdouts of human barbarians on Kul Tiras. They aren't happy about that.

t. Celt

>How come the human kingdoms are all knights and stuff?
You're wrong. That's just Stormwind.
Stromgarde and Alterac were destroyed and there's no way to know what they were like originally.
Gilneas and Kul Tiras are an Anglo-Slavic mixture.
Dalaran has a mixed human/elven culture.
And Lordaeron likely had a bit of a Byzantium thing going, what with all the domes. Now its culture is The Nightmare Before Christmas.

>Anglo-Slavic mixture.
Where's the slavic?

So if Draenei are a Protoss clone, do you think Blizzard will clone something from Diablo into WoW?

Everywhere. Here's one example.

Drustvar looks like a Witcher level.

They were barbarians during ancient times. Warcraft humans are the same as warhammer empire.

Black humans are explained because dark skinned vrykul exist. Asian humans would need some kind of lore justification

You wish. They are primitive Bretonnian shit.

I don't know where you get the Slavic. The first human kingdom was lordaeron so they wouldn't really mirror Byzantium so much as they would have just looked like a !not conan empire.

>implying anyone on Veeky Forums will ever recognize something without squatting or track suits as slavic

Wasn't the weapon skill trainer in Stormwind asian? Although that might just have been a wuxia joke.

How are they bretonnians in any way? During the days of sigmar, the empire was all conan tier barbs. Same with lordaeron when trollbane was king. Then they developed into the medieval/rennaisance euro faction they are today

>on Veeky Forums
*in the West

Anyone know a good Warcraft paint job of pathfinder? I know that sounds silly especially considering the OP has a 5th ed coat in their post but my group does pathfinder and, getting them to play or learn other systems is like pulling teeth.

Architecture seldom has anything to do with culture in warcraft. Night elves have Greek architecture but they aren't really Greek like in culture

There was a Jackie Chan reference for one of the Asian humans but not the other 2. 1 was in Dalarsn.

Weird how the only Asian humans are male, Westerners usually like portraying Asian females more.

They are very much Medieval, like Bretonnia. Empire is Renaissance, late Renaissance at that. There is a cultural gap of several centuries between Empire and Bretonnia.

Random npcs arent the best arguments because blizzard does put a lot of jokes into the game, but maybe Asian humans exist in azeroth somewhere, I just haven't seen any

I'm just saying that aside from the atire of their armies, warcraft humans have more in common with the empire than Bretonnia.

>Night elves have Greek architecture
What the fuck am I reading

their ruins are distinctly classically greek

wow.gamepedia.com/Wu_Shen

Here we go, 2 Asians left after the Jackie Chan reference got removed. Shang Kang Cheng has a link in that page.

That's the Korean part of their buildings. Night elves are a mesh of Greek and korean

No? Where are the gunlines, the artillery, the colleges of magic, everything that defines the Empire on tabletop?

These ruins are not Night Elf, but Highborne. Highborne could have been greek-like for all we know. Azshara certainly looks the part.
>Korean
I didn't know Koreans had Shinto gates (or anything at all distinct from China).

Are you serious...? Have you not see all the gun powder weapons that stormwind uses? They have steam tanks and gyro copters for christ sake. Dwarves made all their powder weapons sure, but they use them In the army 100%. And the kirin tor are their battle mages, mixed in with elves yes but once again used in the stormwind army.

Stormwind doesn't have royal knights or trebuchets or worship any ladies of any lakes

>and the Roman Empire expy?
Gorian Empire.

Yet the only thing of those they use in the battle of lordaeron are some dwarven gunners.

The night elves existed during the highborne days. You can see their ancient kingdom in Val Sharah, and their moon temples have always looked Greek. But on that note yea it's just their religious places that had that aesthetic. The moon temples and priests all wear Greek robes and sandals etc and have the big white Collums. Their cities definitely have an Asian look. I said Korean because they eat Korean food and wear those Nan boc things or whatever you call them (the robes of normal citizens with the triangle pointy shoulders for men). Of course it could just be a hodge podge of lots of stuff if we really nit picked.

Elune is basically Artemis with less focus on the hunting part

What? Did you not see the giant steam powered siege towers? Even orcs have tanks and catapults in game....like have you not seen the flying fortresses the alliance use? They have steam powered everything and the kirin tor are their "college of battle mages". Stormwind amd Bretonnia have pretty much nothing in common

>Have you not see all the gun powder weapons that stormwind uses?
WoW addition - only dwarves had guns in WCIII. Gun is not a human weapon.
>They have steam tanks and gyro copters
Khaz Modan invented and made
>and this person tried arguing with me about the lore

>Dwarves made all their powder weapons sure
The Empire produced and invented all that it fields.
>the kirin tor are their battle mages
Wrong. The Kirin Tor is a neutral faction that lends them their service.
>Stormwind doesn't have royal knights
Oh yes it does, newfag.
>worship any ladies of any lakes
They are primitive medieval pumpkin gobbling peasants - just like Bretonnia.

>Even orcs have tanks and catapults in game
Explicitly described as Goblin tech. I don't see any orcs claiming high technology because they bought a Goblin zeppelin.

stop appropriating my culture

You are absolutely delusional. Humans use everything that dwarves and elves made for them. They are a steam powered !not empire faction.

And the kirin tor served the humans looooong before the alliance even existed. They are not neutral, they do what khadgar tells them to do, and he happens to be neutral.

Stormwind peasants are well fed and not shit on by any royalty. And obviously they have knights/cavalry but so does the empire you faggot. And didnt warhammer dwarves teach the empire how to make all their guns and cannons too originally?

Orcs had catapults in Warcraft 1 my man

Oh ok, so you're that level of retarded then. I guess football isn't an American sport since canadians played it first then.

I guess the japs don't get credit for any cars they've made since the first cars weren't Japanese

>Humans use everything that dwarves and elves made for them
Which makes them the equivalent of Zulus with British guns.
>They are a steam powered !not empire faction.
Shit like this makes me question if you've ever seen the game. No it's not. It's a primitive medieval backwater that has superpowers because plot demands it.
> kirin tor served the humans looooong before the alliance even existed.
Kirin Tor served no one. It's an independent nation that used to be a member of the Alliance.
>They are not neutral, they do what khadgar tells them to do
What shock, they follow their leader instead of some foreign king! Treason!
>Stormwind peasants are well fed and not shit on by any royalty
Westfall. Duskwood. I'd rather live in Durotar.
>didnt warhammer dwarves teach the empire how to make all their guns and cannons too originally
Their involvement ended there, Stormwind still relies on Khaz Modan for things more complex than a stick.

How many times do you need to get btfo before you stop posting?

>Westfall
It IS pretty dumb how Westfall was in an even shittier state in Cataclysm than it was in vanilla. Because LOL HOBO JOKES.

I haven't been once. Humans are a shit race and the most primitive member of the Alliance by far. And judging by you, dumb as dirt.

It's just that the king of Stormwind is an incompetent moron who doesn't control his core territories, but still wages wars.

you sound like an asshurt nelf

>It's just that the king of Stormwind is an incompetent moron who doesn't control his core territories, but still wages wars.
Well yeah, that's the conclusion you have to make in-universe for it to make sense. But considering how hard they tried to shill Varian's intelligence, we all know the real reason is that the Cataclysm writing team was just catastrophically shit.

The kingdom was plunged into turmoil because of Arthas...then further fucked over by Onyxia...only ten years had passed since then so varian actually did a hell of a job getting them to bounce back.

The Orc Clans mount is called a Mag'har Dire Wolf, so it seems we might not be getting impostor Hellscream.

Arthas has never been to Stormwind...

But what about a new zone in Gorgrond?

Well, then fuck it. We're getting shithead Hellscream's Iron Horde, but rebranded as Mag'har. Or we're getting Mag'har. Either or.

I'm more interested in Kul Tiran harvest golems. Is it Defias again or just goblins?

Defias is dead, Jim.

You think the current writers even remember that the Defias were responsible for those?

>Jorin Deadeye will be back to show his utter bafflement that Garrosh was made Warchief of the Horde
Maybe for a change they will be actually harvesting.

I remember Arthas once held baby Anduin and commented how he'd hope the baby became a strong warrior.

He might've done this somewhere else though, not in Stormwind maybe.

I don't think they're Kul'tiras specific - Blizard's doing a big sweep of model updates for a lot of different enemies from vanilla for BFA.

He has never been there as a death knight. He was a friend of Varian Wrynn.

Harvest golems were never intended for harvesting in the first place.

That's definitely a Kul Tiran golem - note the steering wheel where the original had picket fence.

It's possible, but MMO-Champion's showing at least five different types of golems now. Blizzard could just be putting in the extra effort to differentiate them for once.

I meant the kingdom of men but yes he never went south. Basically varian inherited a broken kingdom that had been through 2 major wars over 20 years and had lost all ties with its northern brethren when Arthas destroyed lordaeron. Then Onyxia usurped the throne and probably was behind varians wife dying too. Basically once varian came back from being mind controlled he turned stormwind into the biggest miltary powerhouse in the eastern kingdoms. And this was over what, 5-10 years? He was an amazing king.

Yeah but he was technically there.

The point was that his gay romp with Kel'Thuzad in Lordaeron had zero effect on Stormwind.

What do you propose?

They were gonna straight-up port the loot goblins from Diablo over and then ended up reskinning them as Wyrmtongue demons. Outside of that, Legion was Blizzard trying to see how many mechanics they could port over from Diablo at once while still keeping it recognizably WoW.

God I fucking hate how Blizzard can't remember all the balls they have in the air, or at least don't explain jackshit about what the fuck is going on elsewhere with other characters while the main plot is going down. Like, I want to know what the fuck is going on with A'dal and friends in Shattrath while we are fighting on Argus. What the fuck were the Mag'har on Outland doing while Garrosh got his murder on? It's like whenever they do a new expansion, they hit the pause button on the previous one and it just stays frozen in time until they decide it's relevant again, which causes all sorts of retarded shit like "Wait, what were you doing for the past 3 years while all this stuff was going down?" Because apparently the timeline just jumped ahead without them.

Wrong. Lich King.

Between the architecture and climate from the cinematics, Lordaeron looks near-eastern.
It's a damn shame that once the game actually starts it's just standard medieval Germanic stuff.

They were in the warcraft movie dude lol

youtube.com/watch?v=dshMpNtjD8Q

Tirion was the strongest light wielder in canon right?

and Light pretty much counters all magic besides Void magic.

How was he able to be defeated by Guldan?

No.

No.

Writer fiat.

He only succeeded during the battle against Arthas due to his personal investment in the battle against the Scourge. He lacked this against the Legion. Although he was still a formidable paladin, he's officially second in power to the order leader.

Archenon poros, Tirion-san.

wish we could get a paladin focused book in warcraft so we could get more details on how paladins work and so on. The coming book that starts up the faction war really has no interest for me...

We've already gotten most of the information we need on that. Put simply, the Light seems to be acquired by standard paladins through strength of belief, coupled with powerful emotions that align with the morals of the Light.

And that has everything to do with stealing some visuals from other games, not in being distinctly Slavic. Green skinned witches with big noses? That's the common stereotype. Those Wicker Men you think are Leshy? They're called Wicker Men.

And the Drust? "Drust" is a Pictish variant of a Celtic word meaning "riot" or "tumult", a name common to many of the kings of the Picts. Look at the Drust ruins, and they're fucking Picts.

That's what the Drust are. Not Slavs. They're Picts. Even the blue color and painted skin in the Drust concept art? That comes from Picts.

Forsaken are the epitome of that dejected phrase the broken use "We... Survive..." most of them keep going because being dead is scarier to them. Especially Sylvanas. A lot of forsaken still have their moral compass though, so they don't wish their own torment on others, so while they wanna live, they don't want others to live like they do.

By "standard," you mean humans, dwarves and draenei. Blood elves get their Light from the Sunwell, and tauren have an entirely separate set of lore for their own paladin-equivalent.

Picts! The blue skin was a stereotype the Romans had of Britons in general. It's not a Slav thing at all.