MTG modern general

old friends edition

>playing
>hating
>brewing

>thread q
What card/deck do you wish was playable in modern?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/21-05-16-gruul-land-destruction/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-02-16-taking-turns/
mtggoldfish.com/deck/613255#paper
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-mono-black-devotion-38039#paper
youtube.com/watch?v=UHBvqy7hZDM
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-w-b-zombies#paper
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>playing
GB Tron and occasionally Bant Eldrazi.
>hating
Nothing, really. I'll wait and see how Jace sculpts the format before making any judgements.
>brewing
I wanted to build Madcap Moon, but with the unbannings I'm going to hold off and see how the field shapes up.
>thread q
Pic related. I was building the deck when Probe was legal, and the week after I finished it, Probe got banned and basically left the deck dead in the water. Ended up just building the Pauper version of the deck and putting the fetches and such in EDH decks.

If I have a viscera seer and a blood artist, is it possible for me to somehow sac both and drain for 2?

I'll probably be playing Turns, which gives jack shit about Jace and loves to see midrange decks far more than aggro decks.
I'm also having fun tinkering with BBE in a stone rain deck:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/21-05-16-gruul-land-destruction/

To the other turnbro from yesterday's thread:
>playing JTMS in turns
u wot
You're not trying to put a control lock on your opponent: you are dropping draw engines and holding your breath til your 5th land drop and then comboing off. Consider this list, for example, which is all-in on the combo:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-02-16-taking-turns/
What would you cut to play Jace, and why? The cryptic command that taps your opponent's creatures on turn 4 before you combo out? Don't kid me.

>What card/deck do you wish was playable in modern?
>pic related
I have a list but it has some real problems.

>playing
Grixis Shadow
Ponza
>hating
Urza lands, Ensnaring Bridge
>brewing

>playing
Naya zoo. After I got the card combinations down it became unfun to play against, especially if I'm against a slower deck or anything that fetch-shocks turn one and two.
>hating
Storm. Nothing like watching someone dick around for a round and then fucking up their cantrips and asking to redo. Annoying.
>brewing
Soulflayer with the new zetalpa. Hard to get the list right.
>thread q
Vampires. I'm sure they're okay, but they feel awfully 1-4-1 and that doesn't do much for me. Soulflayer could be nice with some new cards

Once upon a time, user.

>the most recent GP was won by Bogles
Absolutely wew lad.

NO BUT REALLY, BOGLES DOESN'T STAND A CHANCE IN A POST-JACE WORLD

YOU SEE, JACE CAN JUST UNSUMMON THE BOGLE

H-HEH-HEH-H-EH

>The finals match up was against Burn

Wew, RIP poor burn player.

(not other turndood, dregedood)
i think the only reason jace would see play in turns is this 0 and -1 but other than that i dont think he would go into the list

Skill based gameplay saving modern once again

No inkmoth or jace? (party jace, not unbanned jace) What do you do against infinite life combos?

And yeah, Turns doesn't need a four drop brainstorm when it's drawing three cards that you actually keep each turn anyway.

Here's my mono-blue list, btw. Excuse the name, I did not name it.
mtggoldfish.com/deck/613255#paper

boy do i fucking hate listening to corbin talk

It isn’t the worst. But that could be me becom8ng nose blind to it. The LGS I go to is also the store he frequents. I believe they are also partnered with him to sell cards.

I just hate his speech patterns and the way he looks like he's wading in water too deep and sticking his head slightly above the surface.

Is goblin piledriver going to be worth a pick up?

Been brewing with Vampires just for fun lately; pretty enjoyable desu. Right now it's a mono-black list that runs a lot like a modern twist on the old school suicide black decks. Bump in the night, virulent swipe, bloodghasts, lacerators, guul draz vampires, etc. Surprisingly quick and fun. I feel like black provides you with such a good disruption package in modern that the rest of your deck can be pure jank and it'll still be a decent FNM deck.

I absolutely love how butthurt people get over Bogles. Makes me think back to days of slapping swords on Dungrove Elder and going to town.

Not impossible for burn to win against, especially after sb

Also that burn player had ensnaring bridge active in games 2 and 3

do you want to play goblins?

it was a pretty close game
I recall the burn player just couldn't draw a final burn spell in one of the games

I got a bunch of dinosaurs. Can I play modern?

no

You can technically play, but it will just end up with you being a training dummy.

So no builds at all? But ripjaw raptor looks so good.

And what am I going to do with my four tezemoith?

Brew a standard dinos deck, there's like maybe 1 or 2 dinos that are fringe playable in modern and that's it.

>playing
G/R Ponza
>hating
U/R storm, mostly because its the most common deck at my locals rn
>brewing
possibly temur or anything that lets me mess around with bloodbraid elf
speaking of which, whats looking to be the best way to play BBE? Temur? Jund? another color combo? and what would a list look like?

post ponza list

No

Not sure if I want to play madcap combo or BBE in it, but here's the list I played last weekend

Tempted to just attempt a suicide black deck in general, especially with some dash creatures.

I'd play BBE with avalanche riders

Not the *worst* list I've seen..

> I feel like black provides you with such a good disruption package in modern that the rest of your deck can be pure jank and it'll still be a decent FNM deck.
I often see this happen with shitbrews made by saffronolive, if he includes the regular black disruption package it makes just about any pile of shit playable

so is jace as bad as everyone says he is? i was thinking about starting mtg with modern.

it has yet to be seen, I haven't seen any MTGO lists with him yet

so what's up with the inferno titans?

It's not legal on MTGO yet. It's not legal in paper yet either for that matter.

Oh, my bad.
Why is the effective date a week after the announcement?

It's mostly for when cards get banned, so you have to to take them out of your deck and replace them with something else before FNM or whatever you're play at.

oh that makes sense
although reading it again, the effective date for MTGO is today, so we should see how the lists turn out pretty soon

but avalanche riders is 4 mana
its the standard finisher for the deck

oh shit, my bad
I'd still play both though

You could build a green stompy deck with Ghalta, Primal Hunger, but all the other dinos are bad.

But there aren't any good black dash creatures.

Just use Peek man. It still works fine for me.

Bogles is relatively cheap to build right? I was thinking of building it but mulligan to 3 in hopes of getting Bogle is kind of bullshit.

Idk if death & taxes guy is around, but I'm currently running Eldrazi & Taxes and am running into a couple of major roadblocks as the deck's pilot.

Currently the decks largest problems are a tight mana base that is very vulnerable to blood moon, and an over-dependence on aether vial to function properly.

If anyone wanted to watch some jace gameplay, the Team Modern league had UW mircales running 4x jace.
www twitch tv/videos/228825852
games start 1hr 40min roughly

>watch people dick around with the top of decks forever
rather fall asleep watching some old legacy footage with the tops

Good bogles is $500-$600. They run 4x bogle 4x glaze covered scout, so mulling to get a hexproof 1 drop isn't too bad.

>glaze covered scout
it's an elf not a donut

Baby, that ain't icing.

How's 8rack in the current meta? Love the deck but I didn't see it in top8 since forever and I'm afraid it would be difficult to play at my lgs, where the deck are mostly homebrews or budget builds

>How's 8rack in the current meta?

Ask yourself this question: "How good is G/x Tron?"
If it's good then 8rack is doodoo

I've yet to meet infinite life combos.
Jace Beleren dies to hits far too easily. I would play a 4th Howling mine over Jace any day. Jace is only good if you need the UU devotion to enliven Thassa, which ain't very good either. Remand and Snapcaster are cute, but I'd much rather push the combo balls deep by playing 4 of all the staples.

>Soulflayer + zetalpa
Whatcha got?

I wanna build mono black gary style. Is it any good still?

Mono black is a thing, it's not super popular but it's a thing.

mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-mono-black-devotion-38039#paper

I've been gone for a bit, how is a card such as fatal push so expensive at uncommon..

It removes half of the game for 1 mana.

it has 1 printing

Don't see why since I can discard their finishers and smallpox their tron lands easily

Because they can sandbag 3 cards in their hand, tron up and land Ugin/Karn/Ulamog or just hardcast Wurmcoil which you can't deal with. Postboard it gets worse. Tron is designed to topdeck like a pig and you can't discard the top card of their deck.

Have you seen Ross 8rack vs tron ?

Creature (30)
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Greenwheel Liberator
4 Lotus Cobra
1 Scavenging Ooze
4 Voice of Resurgence
1 Eternal Witness
4 Renegade Rallier
4 Regisaur Alpha
4 Ghalta, Primal Hunger

Enchantment (4)
4 Oath of Nissa

Basic Land (22)
2 Arid Mesa
4 Forest
1 Mountain
3 Plains
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Stomping Ground
2 Temple Garden
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

Instant (4)
4 Path to Exile

Hows my dinosaur list?

Wrench Mind is shit since they pack artifacts
IoK is hot garbage against Tron
By the time you slam down Lilly they will ram your ass with Karn

remove Mystic and Oath, put Arbor Elf and Utopia Sprawl in.
Also, never put in 4 Ghalta, he is a two of since you don't ever want to draw more than 1 per game.

I hope you're memeing, because that's not a good list. At all.

I think Daddy des has out done himself lads
youtube.com/watch?v=UHBvqy7hZDM

They'll never have karn in hand anyway

(other E&T player) Blood Moon is obviously a beating, though you have some play against it with vials and self-ghost quarter.

I feel comfortable without a vial, as fun as vial tricks are. Temple draws are almost always great, two drop -> three drop draws are fine. What struggles do you have in mind?

I can see using elf and sprawl. But I like how oath can help trigger revolt.

But I want to maximize thorn 2 ghaltas that's why I use 4.

This deck isn't going to win anything past turn 8. So all in in flooding the deck with creatures with a huge ghalta back up.

Anything not GDS is a meme. Eldrazi tron is a meme.

>X-1'd last three Modern FNMs

I-I'll get the gold someday.

The only good Revolt card is Push, so don't bother. This is not Standard, you can do so much better than them. Remove them and put either Ramp in or things that are above curve. Lotus Cobra is not good in this deck, you might as well put a Birds of Paradise in. You're only using white for Path at this point, so you might as well drop it and put 4 Bolts in. Eternal Witness does nothing for you since you don't have a key card that you need to cast twice. Ghalta is a dead draw if you have one on the field or you're too low on mana to cast it, so you really don't need that many, please cut them down.
I've been having some luck with Assault Strobe in Dinos, you might want to play with it a bit.

is there a decent addon for firefox that allows me to search gatherer directly from any page?

There is no worse mirror match than UG land destruction vs. UG land destruction. Literally a conflip where the one who goes first wins. Every time.

Yes and protip: those games are not common.

Sounds like the Tron mirror.

>There is no worse mirror match than UG land destruction vs. UG land destruction

Lantern mirror

Is actually pretty cool, often just draws though since the other guy needles millrocks and the other guy needles win conditions. Best bet is to be up on cards before Academy Ruins goes offline.

I just recently built a budget deck.
My group is slowly climbing out of casual, but I'd like to ask if it seems okay so far.

Creature (24)
4 Gifted Aetherborn
4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 Relentless Dead
4 Geralf's Messenger
4 Desecration Demon
4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel

Sorcery (10)
4 Duress
4 Harsh Scrutiny
2 Drown in Sorrow

Enchantment (2)
2 Whip of Erebos

I'm not sure if I should play 20 or 22 lands, since I don't have access to fetchlands on a budget. I'd rather be playing Obliterator, but Desecration Demon still puts pressure on my board at (4).
Any tips? I know I lack spot removal. I'm stuck between Go for the Throat and Dismember.

Depends on your meta really. Also, with stuff like geralfs messenger you might want to consider nykthos, shrine to nyx. You should work towards replacing harsh scrutiny with inquisition of kozilek.

If your curve goes to 5 without any cantrips you generally want 23-24 lands, you can run Mutavault+Urborg if you're not afraid of turn 2 Blood Moon.

Duress and Scrutiny should be some number of Inquisitions, Thoughtseize, and Collected Brutality. Inquisitions are pretty cheap right now.

I don't think Drown in Sorrow is where you want to be but an upgrade would be Golden Demise from RIX as you probably will have ascend .

How many Urborgs? I'd assume no more than 3, but is 2 enough?

What cards are must have for a zombie tribal?
I'm not trying to make a competitive deck, so falvor is importante.

>I'm not trying to make a competitive deck,
then play anything you want, why ask for advice?
use gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx like everyone else and do your own research

>gatherer
Scryfall and Magiccards.info are both vastly superior.

mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-w-b-zombies#paper

>have spent around $1600 on paper magic
>not able to afford every single deck I want to play
>getting bored of playing the same people over and over
>want to switch to MTGO all of a sudden
I think it's too late for me. I've gone too far into buying physical. It feels great being able to hold my cards and look at the art but the prices are fucking killing me. I'm way too poor to have started this hobby. Every time I visit my LGS I'm spending $100 on like two to four cards and I leave feeling like shit. I should have never bought physical.

I'll work on upgrading the discard engine as money comes in.
Currently playing Drown in Sorrow for local meta reasons; some in my group play Elves and Soul Sisters.

Aside from spot removal, what kind of draw power (if any) should I consider?
I've toyed with Read the Bones for the ability to go through 4 possible cards, but Phyrexian Arena is better in the grind.
My main problem is that both those options sit on (3) mana, which is already bloated on the curve if Gatekeepers are played properly.

Sign in blood

You can with funeral charm

Yeah except that then it's not on of their deck anymore, genius. If it's a Nature's Claim or an Ancient Grudge you just threw away a card.

sounds like you need to start playing control

Yeah basically 4 Urborg is always a mistake in deckbuilding, even in a hyperaggro deck like Turbo Depths in Legacy, 2 is fine if you don't run a full set of Mutavault.

Well a major one is turn 1 discard. I feel like keeping a 7 with vial is usually the play since mulligans can be so punishing, but it seems like turn 1 thoughtseize or inquisition targeting my vial really disrupts the power of E&T