Would human only space opera be boring?

Would human only space opera be boring?

I don't know, you tell me.

>is legend of the galactic heroes boring

You clearly have never had a toast to democracy.

revelation space comes to mind. aliens are featured but mostly extinct.

Not one bit, you can expect an explosion of genetic, ideological and cultural diversity even if Humanity simply colonized the stellar neighborhood, much less the Galaxy.

Aquatic Humans. Cybernetic Humans. Hive-minded Humans who are chipped or nerve-stapled into obedience. Spacers with creepy limbs and a propensity for trade or mining. The list goes on and on.

"Human-only space opera" can be anywhere on the spectrum from The Expanse to Mobile Suit Gundam to Warframe.

>Mobile Suit Gundam

Arguable, with Newtypes/Innovators technically not human, but human+.

Do you consider all of human history boring?

only neckbeards who have never left their basement would think humans are boring

Gundam exists so no

>Warframe
What about the Sentient attack on the Orokin?

It's lore we cannot afford to lose.

It's implied that the Sentients aren't aliens at all, they were self-improving robots sent from the Sol system to terraform distant planets, but they gained sentience and came back to attack the Orokin. So they're still human in origin.

Not if all our intrepid explorers ever found were the shattered, half-eaten remains of extinct xenos civilizations, no biological remains ever and untranslatable warnings about an approaching great darkness.

I mean it does start out slow

Nightlands pls

>implied
It's outright stated. I was more wondering if they can still be counted as human, given how utterly alien they've become.
The Orokin did EVERYTHING wrong.

You'd need some pretty atrocious writers to make space opera boring. Humans-only can actually make for better stories. Vorkosigan saga is my single favorite piece of written scifi and it has 0 alien species beyond a couple of plants and animals, and those have no impact on the plot, other than existing as something for scientists to study.

Holy shit how has no one mentioned dune?

Shai Hulud is not human.

>Mobile suit gundam
>Outlaw star only has like 4 races and 1 of the is genetically engineered

>is the quantum thief boring?

no.

Not sure if Battletech counts as space opera, but there you go.

This and Kaiba are excellent examples of how transhumanist literature doesn't have to be boring shit like grey goo shooting lasers at other gray goo.

>still counted as human
Sentients were never human to begin with. They were robots.

>I was more wondering if they can still be counted as human, given how utterly alien they've become.

Of course, that's why I included it as an example toward the end of the spectrum. The only requirement for "human-only" space opera is that there are no aliens; every "species" or "race" apart from regular old humans needs to originate from humans or human development, but there's a lot of ways you can take that.

In that way, since absolutely everything in Warframe originates from Earth, it is actually more "human-only" than a setting like Battletech, which has alien planets with alien plants and animals.

It depends entirely on the writer. Most space Opera type television/novels just use gross exaggerations of human qualities to make new "races" of people. Just make em all human and you have what is now a human only space opera.

Dune happens in a spacefaring society but it has most of the focus on Arrakis with only a little space travel so it doesn't register as a space opera immediately

>This and Kaiba
tell me more of this kaiba thing, always looking for more books.

I'm probably the kind of sci-fi fan that other sci-fi fans hate, but the part of any story I care about the least is usually the aliens.

Whether they're just humans with bits of rubber glued on their face and basically a stand-in for the Russians, or like something super exotic and possibly unknowable, I just end up not giving a fuck for some reason.

Something like Star Wars always struck me as like, it'd almost be the same shit if you replaced the aliens with intergalactic nationalities of humans the Empire didn't like, at least to me.

Yuuzhan Vong might have been the alien race that mattered the most(???) but they're also around the time I lost interest in Star Wars EU novels back in the day, and I wonder if this was coincidence or not.

The Vong were garbage tier aliens and not interesting at all.

user, i'm pretty sure that's why OP made the thread. Gundam is like the only boring human only space opera.

It's an animu, I guess I should've said media instead of literature

May His passing cleanse the world.

>Green-skinned human
>Blue-skinned human
>Rubber-forehead human
>Really, really smart human
>Logical human
>Angry human
>Holier-than-thou human
>Whatever other flavor of human

It's the only kind of space opera we've ever had, so you tell me?

does putting make up on people, make up fancy cultures and civs that take bits and pieces of history, and turn them into aliens boring?

good space opera isn't about aliens

Opera is interesting, space is interesting, humans can be pretty interesting. If you feel like you need aliens as a crutch you probably just need more confidence in your writing abilities, user.

>Would human only space opera be boring?
Dune, Crest of the Stars, Legend of Galactic Heroes.
Some of the best space opera I've seen are human only. In fact, I think I prefer human-only space opera.
The again, I generally like human only or human-focused fantasy to "have a dozen stupid generic fantasy races" as well. I might be an outlier with the whole "I prefer one well fleshed out and relatable species to dozen shallow ones" thing.

In hindsight, is Crest of the Stars basically Legend of Galactic Heroes but shorter and with more cute girls?

They're at least as human as a pygmy or a dwarf or any other type of genetic mutant and are background dressing since a newtype makes the same noise as anyone else when you step on them with a 100-ton machine: squelch.

It's basically just earth in an intergalactic scale.
So no, it wouldn't be boring.

>In hindsight, is Crest of the Stars basically Legend of Galactic Heroes but shorter and with more cute girls?
Kinda, there is absolutely no denying that Morioka was extremely deeply inspired by that thing. I used to say that Crest of the Stars is "LoGH light", same thing but shorter, lighter on the themes and so on...
But then I started paying more attention to it and realized that while there are a lot of undeniable similarities, there is also a lot of things rather unique to Crests. Very strong elements of Star Wars (subversed), and also a LOT more focus on individuality and individual characters rather than political subjects.

I personally like Crests a little more than LoGH, but it does not mean it's better. Just... more to my personal tastes.

How old are you, OP?

No
Go read Aeon 14 nigger.
Although it's not just humans, but humans and AI.

And sometimes the humans are hardly recognisable as such

Sometimes there are humans and AI in the same body

Very rarely, they are in the same mind
Which either leads to insanity or hotsim cyber threesomes and the ability to see a couple extra dimensions.

Short answer, no.
Long answer, hell no.

Human-only Space Opera is fairly common. Given how the antagonists in Space Operas tend to just be a reskinned totem of political/cultural concepts the author finds distasteful, it isn't particularly hard to just use humans instead.

Shai Hulud teach us the way, but is only our choise to follow it.
In the end mankind and no-one else have the power.

Space Operas are not epic enough. Like most scifi, they are woefully underpopulated. Very few even have several millions of casualties in a single battle without anyone even blinking.

>I TURNED MYSELF INTO A WORM DUNCAN

The granddaddy of all space opera is human only. And mutants and robots

No, human vs human is more interesting than humans vs aliens.

How about humans vs mutants vs transhumans?

That's such a quietly hopeful, comfy picture. One hopes that humanity eventually reaches events similar to that of Hari's foundation.

Foundation still gives me shivers from the sheer scope of the story.
It's amazing how many works owe homage to this one series.

Generally more interesting then one with aliens as the writer(s) have to put some effort into cultures/characters rather then just headridges.

I'm trying to build a (mostly) human only space opera setting now myself.
The general idea being that humans are the only sapient species known but humans by the time of the setting come in many different forms effectively acting as different races.

Most space operas are human only with aliens acting as something interesting to look at

>It's outright stated. I was more wondering if they can still be counted as human, given how utterly alien they've become.
I mean thats just saying that any transhumanist story wouldn't count.

Ahh yes aliens

Yes.

Only if you have no imagination.
After all, in films and most novels, what are aliens other than humans in rubber suits and CGI? You could literally replace 99% of all races in Star Wars and Star Trek with humans and what would change?

The point in Star Trek is that sticking a rubber prosthetic on somebody is shorthand for "this person is an alien, with a different culture than ours." In fact, as far as Trek is concerned, I would say it's the opposite- you could replace 99% of the rubber-forehead aliens with completely foreign radially symmetrical starfish people and it wouldn't really change.

No.

user, that's an insurance fraud anime, not a space opera.

case in point.

t. shit taste

Warframe is one of those settings that I want to know about but I can't be asked to look for the info.

You forgot somebody

You don't want to, the lore was more questions and mystery picked up through the game
and then they started answering questions, and inevitably ruined it with shitty answers.

Just try the game, it is free. The grind is abysmal if you're trying to get some late-game thing in particular but if you just go into it for the ride it's pretty nice.

Some people don't like where they went with the lore, but it at least deserves a lot of points for being so unlike anything else around, especially aesthetically- if you see something from Warframe you know where it is from. It's definitely got its influences but it is the furthest thing from "generic sci-fi" that can be found at its level of production value.

Yes

Not at all.
Personally my preferred space opera setting is 'Transhuman only' type Mindjammer.
Humanity has spread across the starts and boy has it got fucking odd doing so.

Right. If we're counting that, we're definitely also including the Abh from Crest/Banner of the Stars.

>It's the only kind of space opera we've ever had
t. someone who hasn't experienced much space opera

I want to forget Awakening of Trailblazer too.

I prefer these kind of space opera too. Although to keep an eerie atmosphere there is alien life but because the alien civilzation does not exist in the same galactic cluster so communication is impossible.

It can work if done right. But I prefer if the aliens do exist, and are elusive/mysterious or the aliens existed at some point.

I want a setting that starts out as humans only but has the possibility for the PCs to experience first contact. That would be possibly the most important event in human history, yet every setting robs players of the opportunity just so they can start out with their blue-skinned fapbait everywhere.

>That would be possibly the most important event in human history, yet every setting robs players of the opportunity just so they can start out with their blue-skinned fapbait everywhere.
Well, it's not *just* for that. First contact would be such a massively important step and such a monumental change for humankind that it's very hard to actually write. It's one thing in Star Trek where first contacts are an established and routine thing, but depicting humanity's first ever interaction with alien life outside of a story where that was expressly the point (like Arrival) would just not be able to give it the amount of weight that it ought to bring.

And that goes extra for an RPG setting, there's a reason it's better for players to be space mercenaries or traders on an intergalactic tramp freighter, because they aren't qualified to be diplomats and that makes it hard to play one.

Old BSG Cylons were from an alien civilization.

>Spreadsheets in spaaaaaace

If humanity reached that point it would inevitably branch off into various transhuman subspecies due to fucking with genes, population separation and biotech
So kinda still humans only but more like 40k after the imperium wipes out all xenos

>Losing 10 thousand dollars because one guy fucks up in spaaaaace
>Being autistic about trolling people in a game in spaaaaaace
>General MMO unfun grind in spaaaaaace

Stop giving me nostalgia user

No.

Transhumans and the remains of alien civilizations that have since been wiped out leaving humanity alone in the galaxy

It might not have had the best writing, but I will always appreciate that the ELS were a singularly unique concept for an alien race