rpg.rem.uz/Warhammer/Fantasy/Roleplay/2nd edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Last time on /5eg/:
Desert Edition
How do you effectively run a desert setting when almost all of the terrain can be described as "sand"?

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJpjo51ve
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Oases with nomadic hobgoblin raiders that guard them jealously, ankheg hives building massive anthills out in the sandstone hills so that you always have to be on watch for scavenging drones, giant scorpions that burrow during the day and come out at night to hunt.

You could describe the settings effect on the players and their gear. The heat of the sun, the dryness of the air, the build up of sweat on the cloth elements of their clothing. Occasionally encounters or features can stand out in a desert, things like small wells in the middle of no-where, or a small mesa area with rocky outcroppings that provide seclusion from the sun and a hidden place to camp. Afghanistan is more mountainous and desert, but it has the same desert elements. As for wells and sources of water in the desert, having to barter or steal from can make an interesting encounter. Have you seen Lawrence of Arabia? There is a good scene in that movie in which a tribesman guiding Lawrence is shot for stealing water. Likewise, maybe you could take inspiration from the environments in that movie. This moved away from descriptions into more general thoughts on deserts but I hope something was of worth. I believe Thri-keen are desert creatures, no? Having to establish contact with them, parsing out a working language between you and them and establishing trade or transactions could be interesting.

I have to run a one-shot for a group of people about level 6, any suggestions? I was wondering if an evil party might be fun to run, or evil prisoners coerced into doing good in suicidal missions.

A distant kingdom are using flying homonculi to launch fireball strikes on insurgents, when in truth most of them are just innocent villagers.

I'm a new DM and I think I fucked myself over

I'm running a game that spans many different planes, different cultures and more. Every 2 sessions or so I need an entire new plane or world to show the party, and it's killing me

What should I do? How can I slow down progress? Should I just tell the party this is way too much work?

don't be a cuck

treat each plane as a different country or zelda temple

>old german forest temple plane

> Russian Fire Temple Plane

>What should I do? How can I slow down progress?

1. Reduce the frequency of sessions. If you're running a game weekly, run it bi-weekly for a month of two until you feel comfortable. Invite another player to switch off DMing a separate campaign. You could even run two separate campaigns on your own - one traditional campaign, and one attendance-independent episodic campaign with less complicated sessions.

2. Adopt good session-building habits. Set aside time - real time, an hour or two per week - to hammer out details and settings. Pay attention to what you can comfortably improvise, and have reference material handy for things you can't.

3. Destroy or steal whatever trinket is allowing the players to travel between planes. If it's a ship, it gets attacked by a dimension dragon or some shit and crashes dramatically. Boom, the rest of your campaign is now about finding a way for the party to teleport home. Don't be afraid to discard all your plans and change the endgame of the campaign.

4. Increase the frequency and difficulty of combat encounters.

why did you make such a massive concept for your campaign and not consider the time-sink required?

dont bite off more than you can chew, your PCs are merciless devourers of content.

Because I'm new and didn't realize how much work goes into this stuff

Brass Dragon.
>Spooky monster mirage.
>Spooky track to oasis.
>Intelligent magical sand worm.
>Obnoxious when in good mood.
>When in bad mood, kill entire party except one where he dragged to dragon's lair, burrowed up to neck, and forced to talk until die from throat dryness.
>Escape underground if legendary resistance is spent/ take some damage.
>Good dragon.

Does /5eg/ mind the lack of rules for character background information? Should players really be allowed to just pick and choose whatever they want from the pre-made options?

Also, why are there no set rules for monster creation like there were in 3.5e? Why don't all Monstrous Humanoids have the same HD, BAB progression, etc?!

Also, also, why are magic items just made up with whatever features you want?

Also, also, also, why do monsters have made up abilities with no logic or rules behind them?

How do you mean by 'any school'? I usually don't play a wizard or an arcane trickster, so I'm not super familiar with this.
I know that trickster does get some spells out of XGE, I know some of them are excluded from certain classes, but that's about it.

>Does /5eg/ mind the lack of rules for character background information? Should players really be allowed to just pick and choose whatever they want from the pre-made options?
Yes.

>Also, why are there no set rules for monster creation like there were in 3.5e? Why don't all Monstrous Humanoids have the same HD, BAB progression, etc?!
Sure there are, in the DMG.

>Also, also, why are magic items just made up with whatever features you want?
There aren't.

>Also, also, also, why do monsters have made up abilities with no logic or rules behind them?
This is a pretend system, and there is logic and rules behind the features monsters have.

Nice try though.

low quality senpai

What are some classes that make good combo with a zealot barbarian?
(not multiclass, I mean other PC)

Tricksters have to choose from Illusion or Enchantment. There's no level 1 Xanathar's spell of either, and level 2 only has one Illusion (Shadow Blade)

>Does /5eg/ mind the lack of rules for character background information?
There are tons of options, especially with Xanathar's tables

>Also, why are there no set rules for monster creation like there were in 3.5e?
There are, look at the PHB. And Monster creation is different from PC creation

>Also, also, why are magic items just made up with whatever features you want?
Most existed since first edition

>why do monsters have made up abilities with no logic or rules behind them?
fun

Cleric for those hot revivifies

Grave Cleric and War Cleric

Oh okay, that makes more sense to me now.

play some of the pre-made modules, they are not only good examples of worldbuilding, they also have some great concepts to steal for your own games.

for instance, in curse of strahd, the first combat challenge presented to players is the death house, a great low level dungeon.

>not multiclass
Fag
>other PC
Pretty much anything that can revive them and anything that would buff any other martial

So basically, I want to play a Bard with some demonic or otherworldly quality to him, highly charismatic. He's to be the envoy of some force from the stars spreading a positive message on this plane and is charming as fuck. I was planning on starting with Bard and multiclassing into Warlock for one to three levels, depending. I would either go for Celestial (The star/space-related, kind envoy aspect) or for Great Old One (The eldritch things coming from the stars who turn out not to be so nice). It's a tossup for either. Which do you think fits better? Anyone have suggestions on it?

>Limited Magic Immunity. The rakshasa can't be affected or detected by spells of 6th level or lower unless it wishes to be. It has advantage on saving throws against all other spells and magical effects.

Can a rakshasa allow someone to cast Haste on it, then when the Haste wears off, decide they no longer "wish to be" affected by the spell and ignore the end-of-spell penalty?

You make that sand coarse, rough, irritating, and have it get everywhere.

You could have a paladin who's all by-the-books. Have an odd couple relationship.

the angel and devil on his shoulders?

No, them ending the spell on their own would still trigger the penalty, since it's not a negative enchantment woven into the spell, it's just the body being unable to handle so much exertion.

Wanted to expand the natural bestiary. This seem alright for a Hippo? Discarding the joke about alignment.

War Cleric is a tactical genius whose plans are always ruined by the Zealot Barbarian who runs directly into the enemy

depends on if you view the penalty as magical or physical in origin

I would tone it down well below the mammoth statblock, basically a triceratops with swim speed and intimidation bonuses?

Lower the AC, the hippo does not have a thicker hide than a dragon.
Otherwise, it's a pretty good statblock for the deadliest land animal on earth.

Which 5E class is closest to Pathfinder's Witch? Warlock seems to come close, with the warlock's Eldritch Invocations matching up to the witch's Hexes. Wizard also comes close, by using Intelligence and being able to prepare spells. However, neither are able to use healing or resurrection spells without choosing a divine themed archetype. How can I build a Cleric or Druid to be like a witch?

Honestly Mammoths should have higher AC too.
I should probably drop the AC to like 19 though anyways. 24 was mostly a joke.

Pft, hell no. It's a hippo. I should probably drop it to CR 5 though.

Wizard or Sorcerer

>AC 24
No. More like 17.

>damage resistances to nonmagical weapons
Ah yes, an effective 238 hitpoints. Excellent.

Everything else is fine, but holy shit those two are nuts.

Let's assume that you have a bunch of peasants throwing javelins at this thing. With the stats you've given it, it would take an average of 529 peasants to take it down in six seconds, because anything less will mean that many people will die every round. It needs to be toned down a little.

Find a homebrew such as this
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJpjo51ve

I mean look at how effective peasants in Africa are against a Hippo.
>they're not
Anyways here's a nerfed version.

Alignment: Hungry Hungry

Keep the planar history narrowed to be one location the players go through, base it on a quirky history in real life, and theme it like said. Then you can loop back and build what was there based on what the players did. Think about recording audio and listening back and using their own ideas later.

Just don’t overthink it and keep monsters thematic. Another thing I like to do in planes is make traps that are fairly useless against outsiders to the plane, but would be effective to the residents.

Ah sorry for spam.

4 without MA could be a thing, but 5 I think is ok.
Less damage than a Triceratops and lower to hit, but multiattack and higher AC.

Make sure to change Charge, it still has 'Trample' as the attack that triggers the damage. It should be a Bite attack, otherwise Stomp can't really happen unless the hippo wastes an attack on Shove.

Anyone know any good online character builders or have they all been neutered by licensing?

Yeah I noticed that and fixed it.
Then it glitched and has 7 Con now for some reason. I wish I had a more stable monster creator.

I've always used a downloaded version of pathguy's character builder. It doesn't have any of the new releases but it works well enough.

Good, but merge charge and trample into trampling charge, and the wording should be "The Hippo can use its bonus action to make a stomp attack on any prone creatures" since trample attack is not on his actions list.

If all you need is one little number change, just use paint to do it.

Well the way it works it still has an action to Stomp, but if it does it doesn't have the multiattack to make two Bites. It can Bite twice or Stomp once.

OrcPub is good. Check the OrcPub subreddit for a link to the discord, where you can get "homebrew" content to upload.

I use CharForge.

Fuck me I'ma kill myself

Deserts are varied AF.
There's the typical Saharan, then Arizona-styled, Australian Deserts, Salt Flats, Mountainous Deserts.
Don't think for a second that you can't describe a desert as just sand, there's always an opportunity to have landmarks, small huts, oases, ruins of a long-abandoned town, etc.

Just some nitpicks in addition to what everyone else has already said. There aren't any beasts in the Monster Manual with proficiency in Nature or Survival. Yes, it boggles my mind too; I guess WotC assumed we would rule that a hippo should automatically succeed on Nature and Survival checks related to being a hippo. Also, the only beasts in the Monster Manual with proficiency in Athletics are apes.

That's fair. I guess I should keep it as PHB as possible.
What other creatures aren't represented in D&D for some pretty tough stuff? I was thinking Komodo Dragon might work. The base would probably be CR 1/4 but a Giant Komodo Dragon would fit in D&D pretty well I think.

I'm planning on doing a whimsical fight to tone down all the edgydark in our campaign. How does this sound:

>Rakshasa bard
>Uses lute to cast magical spells, plays support to a party of tuckers kobolds
>will sacrifice lute to avoid getting memed by arrows, start to hum-cast spells instead
>if he gets silenced, he'll start slapping his knees/clicking, etc to cast
He's got different spell sets for each casting style, entirely focused on supporting the kobolds and disrupting (but not killing) the party.
Would you be upset if you faced this encounter, or would it be fun?

The base would be CR 1, and give it some kind of poison or disease like the death dog's bite.

>if he gets silenced, he'll start slapping his knees/clicking, etc to cast
how is he going to get silenced?

anyway, sounds potentially fun. depends on how resistable/disruptive the spells are. what level is this party? i'm worried because if I feel like if kobolds are even remotely a threat the party will have no chance saving against the rakshasa's spells.

A Komodo's venom prevents blood clots, so I was thinking it'd be something that just bleeds for 1 point of damage per round/minute/hour? until the creature recovers at least 1 hit point or a Healer's Kit is used to stem the bleeding.

I don't know. As far as I can tell, none of our party has silence.

Look up tuckers kobolds. Minor enemies can be quite lethal if the environment supports it.

Hypothetically, if you were to build an anti-mage character by PC rules, what would you use?
I'm making a group of anti-mages that just hunt down the most obnoxious of casters. They'll generally be the same level as the party, maybe a level lower at best.
Using a level 6 Vuman as an example, I'd probably go with something like 5 Fighter/1 Barb, Alert.
With this they'd have 20 strength, advantage on strength checks, and are likely to go before the mage, and run around equipped with gags and shit to use to stop mages from doing their shenanigans. It's just a bunch of buff guys that really hate mages.
As they go up in level they'd grab two levels in Rogue for expertise athletics + better movement options.

what is the difference between a paladin, zealot barbarian and a cleric? fluff wise

Woops, meant to say 18 Str. 20 Str would be next level

So I want to watch some "professional" dnd on YouTube. I didn't care much for Critical Role.

I really enjoyed "The Provokers" (watched all of their campaign posted online and loved it). They had a more or less stable crew all during the run, the story was fairly solid, and the roleplaying was quite nice. Could anyone kindly recommend me a complete campaign (or one currently in-progress that more-or-less won't be dropped)? I'm OK with more or less anything. Thanks.

Zealot barbarians and clerics don't make a magic promise and paladins don't have to be related to religion.

oath of the ancients paladins who can spread his spell resistance aura to his melee team and grants them huge bonuses to their saving throws.

are you doing this to screw over a specific party member because it can be a little shitty. really shouldn't be building npcs with pc rules.

They are around bottom right alignment i presume? Just exile them from good country, forcing them to long rest in wilderness/edgydark town where they can get back stab anytime.

I'm building it for the sake of building it. In a world with magic being prevalent, there'd need to be counters to mages that aren't just other mages - and while I know there's anti-magic fields, they'd likely just be reserved for these guys' home base. These are just characters who just happen to really hate magic and will go out of their way to fuck with renowned Wizards, or are hired as mercenaries to do so.

My point was more this:
>The rakshasa can't be affected or detected by spells of 6th level or lower unless it wishes to be. It has advantage on saving throws against all other spells and magical effects.

I notice that in the trove there are files that relate to fantasy grounds. I have been considering in moving my game to fantasy grounds rather than roll20 however the purchase of content to which I already own is a big no-no for me.

How does these files work? are they just plug ins that just basically add those rules and things? Am I still able to run a 5e game and just punch in all the data myself, just the data I need or will i need those dnd packs?

Thanks in advance guys

Also, I don't understand why you shouldn't be building NPCs with PC rules. Maybe in your games PCs are meant to be above everyone, even NPCs, but there are still people who are just really exceptional people who happened to not have picked the adventurer lifestyle.
I stick to PC-building rules because it's the absolute easiest way to keep fights between PCs and humanoid NPCs balanced.

I've toned it down a bit for my one. But as far as I know, our only caster is the magic arrow fighter dude.

Actor on a Bardlock with the at-will Disguise self could just straight up steal the identity of anyone. Scary to think about.

I'll put more damage on the poison, after all thats what normally would get you killed in real life, or at least some other disadvantages.

It's just a regular Komodo, not a Giant Komodo. Komodos are dangerous but unless there's a group of them they don't pose considerable risk to a human.

>Bardlock steals the identity of Town Guard Captain
>Bardlock goes up to the Mayor, claims that someone in specific needs to go to jail
>Mayor looks at the disguised Bardlock and says "You're be the Town Guard"
>Bardlock looks at the DM and asks why; he rolled over 30.
>Mayor looks at him and says "Because I'm the Town Guard Captain", and pulls his face off, revealing the Town Guard Captain

You can't be* fuck

>The entire settlement is just a bunch of people stealing each other's identities

>the entire town is just a bunch of Bardlocks
>men will frequently trade wives for a day and pretend to be each other, not knowing the wives swapped places with each other
>everyone thinks they're tricking each other
>every new person who enters the town has to figure out who is who as they pretend to be each other
>players are rolling insight on every single person, no one knows if it's a false or true response from insight
>players just nuke the town

>business transactions are next to impossible
>nobody is able to take out a loan because nobody is sure who is actually taking out the loan
>the local lord doesn't bother collecting taxes from these people because his tax collectors always come back with string and lint

Here's an updated one tho.

Komodo dragon venom technically only makes your blood unable to clot. It's not actually deadly in any way by itself.

And Giant.

Glamour Bard, Celestial pact

>the UA was so bad it killed 5eg

>Glamour Bard

Why did I not read the Bard section? This is absolutely perfect, holy fuck, thank you.

It's actually pretty clever:
Rangers are shit, so now there is an excuse to actually getting lost

Rolled 10, 5, 15, 20, 17, 3 = 70 (6d20)

Gaze upon my girthy ranger.

Rolled 7, 2, 4, 6, 10, 5 = 34 (6d10)

Your Ranger is little more than a wise twig compared to my glorious Monk

Rolled 1, 5, 13, 20, 13, 17 = 69 (6d20)

Now here's his strength when he gets serious

No there isn't because Outlander background is OP.

Rolled 14, 6, 7, 5, 7, 10 = 49 (6d20)

PUNNY LITTLE RANGER FACE MY BARBARIAN RAGE

lol

does it really matter if a weapon does bludgeoning, slashing or piercing damage if it's magical?

He's a Cobalt Soul okay, leave him alone

Rolled 19, 20, 11, 6, 11, 20 = 87 (6d20)

It's my time to shine.

Well shit. I'm stupid as hell but I'll take it.

>Watching that play through of Tomb of Annihilation
>Cuck DM actually goes through with the "LICH TELEPORTS AWAY" ending

lich wank is the worst and that is an anti-climax as a DM that anyone who isn't a total idiot knows not to sick on your party, especially after you fucking killed one of them at the very start of the combat by dunking them in lava

If you're in this thread, you ran that final encounter like shit

Yes. The skeleton bludgeoning vulnerability doesn't care about whether your sword is magic.