/bgg/ - Board Game General - Dungeon Crawl Edition

Previous thread:
Map
>zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#

Pastebin
>pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

What's your favorite dungeon crawl? Your least favorite?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EhdeQtxl7Rg
tabletop.pathologic-game.com/en/
houzz.com/product/87047513-nottingham-dining-table-rustic-dining-tables
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's new, but I find it pretty fun!

Descent is my least favourite, but i've played like 500 hours of it so, I don't know if thats fair or not.

What are some enjoyable solo games? I'm looking for something to take on a work trip for a fortnight, so something portable is preferable.

Anyone play BCO here?

I'm sad the BattleCON thread didn't take off too.

yeah it sucks. It's a good game. Only wish it had drafting/kit construction. Then it'd 100% replace Magic for me

I've been looking into Deadline for that purpose. Coop, but soloable, I believe.

I really need to see more on this

As I said in the other thread, I wish they'd offer up some advice on card/character creation.

I feel like drafting might just tend towards boring, generalist characters, though.

I could see it being interesting enough. Take Endrbyt as an example. He has quite a few generic bases/styles/abilities but has several different ways to play him (clashing/analysis/speedster...). Not 100% sure you could draft tokens + markers + whatever else, but you should be able to hit one of them + a good mix of "vanilla" styles that don't require anything else.

Players start with a default unique base and unique ability and the standard bases. Then they pull from packs that has 1 alternate UA, and a mix of styles with the possibility of one or two replaced with either UB or UA's.

IMO each player would want to draft about 8 cards to allow for substitutions and non-functional cards (i.e. 2 unique bases, or a trash style that doesn't mesh with the rest).

Regarding char creation, there was a big thing about Battlecon: Brawl of Indines. As long as they can do well against/with Hikaru, Cadenza, and one or two characters, it's fine. On the Discord, there was a tournament using custom chars recently.

Gameplay looks cooperative in a really meaningful way (sharing dice to heal each other, storing dice on the side for group purposes, etc.) and I think I'll like playing this with my cousins when they're just a little older.

COIN, but portable it isn't really
Nemo's War
Onirim
Lots of apps available for board games, which I know you didn't ask about but I figured I'd mention in case you weren't aware.

>Onirim
yeah it will eat up about 15 minutes figuring out it's stuipid

1. Card Thief (Android)
2. One deck dungeon (small box dungeon 1p)
3. bring something in case you get the chance to play (local meetup, co-workers, actually being social)

So much trash out there. Star Realms (Android) will waste some of your time, but it falls short of being good.

Where are you going to be?

>What's your favorite dungeon crawl?
Clank!

>Your least favorite?
Boss Monster

I'm a biologist, doing wildlife surveys out in bumfuck nowhere, Aus. I'll be on my own at a nature reserve, so while it'll be a nice trip I won't have many chances to play -with- people.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep looking into it!

>game mechanic bait

you lucky cunt

Google solo micro games, most are pnp and require some paper/writing utensil/dice/the ability to print. If googling doesn't work ask for such on board game geek. Yes, I know, their community is toxic but if you go there just to ask for raw info you won't have to hear all the bullshit usually and they will help you out.

death angel card game

assuming you can still find it for a reasonable price

Deep Space D-6? Either a 2nd pre-order supposedly happening soon or like 6 sheets to print out, plus 5 dice. Marco's done a review:

youtube.com/watch?v=EhdeQtxl7Rg

Any decent table recommendations I should buy? Something cheap and a good size for 6 people and/or to fit mate knight

*mage knight

Anyone ever play this? I just picked it up because I love the video game.

Looks cool
wat it aboot?

Three people play as doctors and one person plays as the plague. The doctors are trying to save the town and the plague is trying to destroy it. I'm not too sure what the mechanics to the board game are but here is the website. tabletop.pathologic-game.com/en/ . The video game is great and if you play games at all I'd recommend it. The story is really interesting and kind of hard to explain in a single Veeky Forums post.

Nice, I might just buy the vidya right now

Go for it. Make sure to get the HD version on Steam. Don't know how much it is, but it should be cheap. If you look through the /v/ archives there should be some old threads with tips and guides in them. Could be helpful to your first time playing the game because certain mechanics aren't really explained and could fuck you up if you don't pick up on them.

I need a quick rundown on monopoly
I will be playing it tonight at my friend's house with his family

It has a lot less crime than the real absecon island and you go to jail instead of just getting beat up by the cops and left in an alley.

Buy everything you land on as soon as possible. You might be dry of cash later on but do it. Profit will come your way. Even in a bid dump every bit off cash on it which includes upgrading to hotels but only if you bought the rest of the of the same color. But mostly buy on property on the furthest end of the board i.e. boardwalk and park place. Once you upgrade those shits to the fullest your opponents will go bankrupt once they land on it like the 2009 fall of the stock market and want to kill himself. With this strategy I've demolished 95% of my games

My favourite dungeon crawl is Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition xD my least favourite hmm i never played anything else

Get out casual

Pretty standard

> What's your favorite dungeon crawl?
Gloomhaven. Euro game disguised in ameritrash skin. Some bookkeeping, and even then, its fun unlocks once you've set up nicely. The 2-card mechanic is thought provoking and very well designed. Every scenario is hard, but you lose because you made a mistake, not because of luck, so it even makes losing satisfying.

> Your least favorite?
KD:M for sure. Bad roll? Your strongest character dies instantly. Good roll? You punch off the enemy's dick. Lantern years and all that crap is just a terrible way of getting you to play the same shit over and over. Lots of pesudo-adult themes at a lame attempt to look 2edgy4me You have little to no agency over the overall outcome of the game, lose due to pure luck, win due to pure luck. Only saving grace is good miniatures. Also, the bookkeeping is intense, the game is playing you, rather than you play the game.

don't

Just announced. $30 deluxe, $25 reg. Thoughts? I've never played munchkin, but dude I love those turtles

I want to know also.
>that deluxe box art

Munchkin isn't very fun.

Munchkin is fun first couple of time you play. It's simple, swingy, backstabby and a laugh.

After that the jokes aren't new, there is little to no decision making, the backstabbing is tedious and causes the game to draaaaaaaaag

Best case scenario is having a friend own it, so you can play it enough to get your fill.

Has anyone played the Fallout board game and can share some opinion?
I'm thinking of buying it as a present for a friend who's a huge Fallout fan (I know next to nothing about Fallout myself).

The only problem I have with the game is a strange one to explain. I find the defense roll to be a rather bad mechanic implemented narratively perfect. Losing your defense roll if you fail once is extremely swingy. Go from winning decisively to losing horribly in one roll. It feels bad and disheartening, but thematically that's exactly what you want to have happen. Plus it only lasts for one round of enemy combat so if you pull through you get a nice rush of courage as you lead into the next round.

>What's your favorite dungeon crawl?
Shadows of Brimstone. It's complete junk, but the best kind of junk.
Your least favorite?
Does munchkin count ? Oh wait I just remembered that Munchkin Quest exists. Game sucks ass (but not as bad as the card game still)
Oh and Myth can also suck a bag of dicks.

I'll throw in my most disappointing dungeon crawl (game I expected to be good but turned out boring to me) is Descent 2nd edition. It's not THAT bad but doesnt really scratch the itch for me.

Why are all their bandanas red? My autism is getting triggered right now

Overall opinions I've heard have not been great - game seems too random by far. One friend tore it an especially brutal new asshole over a 13 paragraph rant of a review that I wish I had permission to share.
But it might not be a problem for someone really invested in the series, especially if they're new to / not very critical of board games.

Original comic turtles all had red bandanas.

Maybe you were memeing but I believe the meme is about "four Raphs"

Originally, they all wore red bandanas. The color coding came later.

Damn. The core mechanics seems interesting at least, and storygaems are our kind of thing, but what you've described is basically what I've been reading around too. The random winning conditions seemed to be one of the worst from what I've read.

Also I'd love to read that rant of a review lol.

What should I get as my first fully cooperative dungeon crawler? Would honestly rather not spend over $75 or so on it.

Get Tabletop Simulator and play there for free.

I want to play IRL with friends. Trying to add to my collection.

I already have Tabletop Simulator. What games should I try out?

>KDM
Yep, one of the trashiest ameritrash ever produced, just needs roll & move to reach its peak. It's more of a hobby than a game.
I was a modeler/minis gamer before a board gamer and I fucking love it for the plastic kits alone screaming antelope NEEDS heavy modding to not look like ass

well, ask for permission then, I'd love to read that

What board game has the coolest "AI" system?

My sister bought the original Pandemic a while back. I played it exactly once with her, her boyfriend, and a couple other people, and we lost.

We switched to another game, and I haven't had the chance to play Pandemic again. She keeps saying she wants to eventually try again, so she won't give it to me or anything, but also refuses to actually do so.

I'm thinking about getting my own copy, but Rising Tide caught my eye. I love the theme and the idea of manipulating the routes of water.

Is Rising Tide as good as the original? Is there any reason I shouldn't just get it and forget straight up Pandemic, given that I'll (probably, eventually) be playing the original with my sister and some other people?

Wish granted. Remember I haven't played the game, so I can't elaborate on or defend any of the specifics.

Wow...sounds like he really didn't like the game

brütal

i like blood rage

>guaranteed replies

On kickstarter right now

Gib money

No miniatures?
No exclusives?
No optional buy-ins?
No Eric "dudes on a map" Lang™?

The outrage!

Don't get used to it. In a few months everyone will forget it.

I like Last Night On Earth!

Better shill a little harder than a Veeky Forums thread with 28 people in it if you wanna make it in 3 weeks

*Looks* fun, but I'm not playing the Kickstarter Jew

Also, $30 for two mats? Fuck off

I'm going to make a really long post about the anatomy of a board gamer. I'm forty-six and don't give two tin shits if you guys think it's a blog post. Whether you realize it it not you've been sharing this hobby with others. And you're going to pay attention, damn it. We might go Tolkien a little bit, who knows? I read the Silmarillion every year and I will use it on you! I don't even care by this point.

kys

That's super productive, good job cool guy! Go first.

Implying I haven't

So do I ! And i have the anniversary box n°666 !

Damn, I didn't realize board game general was such a good thread
>BattleCON, one of the best board games being discussed
>Obligatory user mad because they can't afford KD:M
>Diss to the worst Dungeon Crawler ever made.

Why didn't you guys say that you were such elegant gentlemen.

/bgg/ and /osrg/ are about 80% of my Veeky Forums time anymore.

I'm jelly. It does look really good. Knowing you can play some of the townfolk is def one reason why I would pick it up again.

>What's your favorite dungeon crawl? Your least favorite?
It has the combat and gameplay otherwise but it doesn't really have the dungeon so I don't know if Too Many Bones would count. I never cared much for the dungeon aspect so I like that as a way to boil down the fun parts of a dungeon crawl without the ridiculous setup that rarely effects the combat. Otherwise I suppose Descent. I hear good things about Gloomhaven but have yet to play it.

Worst would be Dark Souls. It gets a little more hate than it deserves, it has some interesting aspects as well, but it's just full of so many questionable design choices. Where as TMB is the dungeon crawl with all the bits I consider useless boiled out of it, this is an example of how all those useless bits can get in the way. The levels did not need to even exist when it's essentially just a grid, the pacing is so painfully slow with any player count above 2, the numbers are pointlessly arbitrary on all the stats just to make it feel more like the game, the loot is so specific and so scarce that players will often get left out of that entirely, and the grind is real.

Artwork looks pretty nice. Is there a playthrough?

Get the original and if you can get the on the brink expansion. The game can get nuts with that

>Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition xD
That reminds me: 4ed is often shat upon because of the boardgamey MMO-fied rules, but how good is it if I just wanted a sophisticated dungeon crawler? Maps, minis, shitload of components, the works. Fuck advanced storytelling and character development, I want to murderhobo and overcome tactical challenges. Basically Descent on steroids.

this

houzz.com/product/87047513-nottingham-dining-table-rustic-dining-tables

>I just wanted a sophisticated dungeon crawler
4e is a sophisticated COMBAT system. martials get 1/day 1/encounter type powers (sort of like spell slots)

>Maps, minis, shitload of components, the works
none of that shit has ANYTHING to do with edition

>Fuck advanced storytelling
doesn't have anything to do with edition
>and character development, I want to
>murderhobo and
>overcome tactical challenges
4e does have mechanics to deal with this

HOWEVER
>good fucking luck finding *anyone* to play 4e with

I'll literally send you all of my 4e books if you pay shipping (*or give them to you if you're in CO)

I'm always partial to SDE. Got a full set on the forgotten king and waiting on the legends kickstarter to pull through
Oh shot... Munchkin Is a little lame but some unique mechanics and a solid teamwork rules would be epic.

You're 46 and thought it was a good idea to make a post about a post you're going to post, but haven't posted?

do this

>And you're going to pay atten-
YAWWWWN!!! I'm sorry, you were saying?

Not only did they originally wear red bandanas, but in the IDW comic they all wear red bandanas until Splinter gives them other ones as a gift.

Raph voluntarily keeps the red one as a sign that he still has some growing to do.

What's his alt color ?

Man I wish all these cool comics were reliably published in France.

I started reading ghostbusters when it got translated but they gave up after 4 hardbacks. I guess I could read them online or purchase US hardbacks but... Ehhh. Shipping, reading comics on a computer... bleh.

>reading comics on a computer... bleh
It's so convenient and there is everything you could ever want, but it still just sucks

A bargain at twice the price!

It's usually not bad on a tablet turned sideways.
>What's his alt color?
I don't recall if they showed it.

What's the deepest (without being hard to get into at a basic level) abstract strategy game released in the last 20 years?

Ideally something where the usual game lasts ~15 minutes (or where you could reasonably use a chess timer).

Hive.

>February 14th
>Still waiting for Kemet to get distributed

Hive or Tak

Played my first game of Eldritch Horror. We lost. Decided to concede as it was getting late and there was probably no way to win 5 mythos cards left and 3 mysteries to go. All in all we all quite liked the game and probably play it again this weekend.

>tfw I picked up Kemet and its expansion from the post office today
Can't wait to play on Friday

It should be spelt B-O-R-E-D

Did the Xenonauts team fold up and start making boardgames instead??

Went to one of my few mid-week meetups yesterday

>Escape From Atlantis
Surprisingly good, and had some nice production values for a 90s game. Also, fuck whirlpools

>King of New York
I think I might prefer it over base KoT, but KoT with expansions might just have the upper hand

>Clank! In Space!
Absurd pop culture references aside, I really enjoyed this

does anybody else really, really not like hive?

I mean it's a double layer don't care cake with I'd rather poke my eyes out icing and a huge scoop of can I cut my dick off instead of playing.

I'd say abalone but your silly millennial timer prevents me

most cozy is definitely photosynthesis, but I'm not sure it's good in a bg way

>Survive
80s game; the Parker Bros edition didn't have all that great of production but Stronghold did it right, especially with those different thickness tiles.

I have never been a fan of Hive, but for me it's mostly a question of aesthetics.

>silly millennial timer
Chess clocks have been used in tournaments since the 19th century.

Jelly

To the user who mentioned the 'Game Stop' board game sale a few threads back - Thanks! I snagged a copy of "Rick & Morty - Total Rickall" card game since it's a fun little filler game and was dirt cheap to boot.

I'm also stoked - I just got a confirmation email that my copy of Helionox Deluxe has shipped and should be here next week. Sweet!

>most cozy is definitely photosynthesis, but I'm not sure it's good in a bg way

I've heard comments to the effect that there are only a couple of viable strategies if you want to win in Photosynthesis. Which is unfortunate if true since the artwork of the game is so nice.