Flames of War: All versions

/fowtg/

Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/

vimeo.com/128373915

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/CariusNarva.pdf

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Which army do you play the most?
strawpoll.me/4631475

what actual country are you from?
strawpoll.me/4896764

DISCORD
discord.gg/drZbxvm

docs.google.com/document/d/1JWmbvVANUraO9ILWJZduRgiI9w4ZC3ytNUQE8rK7Xrw/edit?usp=sharing an "i want to get a starter set" for late war.

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/u5lwjlqur1alo9x/Avanti.pdf
tankograd.com/cms/website.php?id=/en/index/publikationen.htm
thesovietarmourblog.blogspot.ca/
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=53&art_id=5964
mediafire.com/file/mr7qlquq3il2cnc/Colours of War.pdf
mediafire.com/file/abnceons2rnz4wp/Overlord.pdf
youtu.be/FfS58GeEhdM
btassault.wpengine.com/nam-1965-1972-initial-book-review-and-my-third-tour/
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Two whole days ded. V4 is a murderer.

Christlike in resurrection.

Just let the game/general die already holy fuck you have /hwg/ if you want to post.

Here is something to keep it alive - Avanti Scan:

mediafire.com/file/u5lwjlqur1alo9x/Avanti.pdf

anyone have Tankograd scans?

>no Huey Hog in new Nam
>people is asking BF: Wtf?
>BF guy on forum: hey, just use Cobra stats 'count as', no big difference between Hog and Cobra
Sad

I LOVE YOU user

And PSC has opened pre-order for their Valentine kit. Because of course they would do it today...

Cheers Phil.

you.

i don't know who you are but here is some solid advice:
don't like our general?
don't visit it.
don't
go to a favorite general of yours.

i don't go to /ygo/ or /mtg/,

don't go to /fowtg/!

>Two whole days ded.

Seriously? I’ve had my head buried so deep in the editing of Panzerfunk that I didn’t even notice.

The edit is about 75% done before anyone asks.

Awesome. I’ll get that uploaded to our database at some point later today.

>anyone have Tankograd scans?

What is Takograd?

>PSC Valentines on Valentine’s Day

It’s cheesy, but we’re you really expecting anything else? Of course they’d do it today.

>What is Takograd?

tankograd.com/cms/website.php?id=/en/index/publikationen.htm

They make detailed walk around booklets about various tanks.

Ah, okay.

People occasionally post links to Osprey books, but I don’t remember seeing anyone post any of those books.

>Seriously?
Last post in the previous one was 02/12/18(Mon)01:07:06, first post of this thread was 02/14/18(Wed)00:20:09. Just 47min short of 48 hours.

Ah ok, no worries. I was looking for the one about the Berlin Brigade, but I'll just buy it if Tankograd scans are rare.

You could also check with the Historical Wargames General thread.

They might have seen a few scans that we don’t know about.

You are better off asking /hwg/ about non-BF book scans.

Also I thought I was crazy when you said tankograd scans, since I associate the name with a blog. It might tickle your fancy if you are fine with only soviet AFVs being covered. They talk about everything though; crew positions/responsibilities/equipment, engines, transmissions, tracks, armour(s), weapons capabilities/upgrades/ammo, service history and such. Each post is like an Osprey book that wasn't afraid to get too technical.
thesovietarmourblog.blogspot.ca/

Yeah I've asked over there and no response. I don't mind checking out Soviet armour, thanks! I'm currently planning on doing a Berlin Brigade in 6mm for TY so I wanted some research material. I think I've found enough colour plates of the Berlin Brigade Camo to paint it now though.

That’s a difficult enough pattern to paint at 15mm.

I wish you the best of luck painting it at 6mm.

does anyone here think TANKS would have done better if they released card packs that allowed use of their vast resin range?

Honestly, that’s not the key issue with TANKS. It would probably improve the game, but it wouldn’t solve the core problem.

TANKS was built to be an X-Wing style game with relatively simple rules that would appeal to the same sort of gamer that X-Wing appeals to.

But what Battlefront forgot to factor into the equation was that there was more to X-Wing’s success than the simple rules.

X-Wing also had beautiful pre-built and pre-painted miniatures.

And perhaps most importantly, it was Star Wars.

TANKS, with its miniatures that you had to assemble and paint, was never going to compete with X-Wing or draw in the X-Wing player-base.

true.

TANKS would have done better as a more complex game: let FoW and TY be simple: TANKS would be the gritty detail game for real tank nerds.
the slow release schedule and low tank count could reinforce this.

X-wing also hides a lot of tactical depth, and the choices you can make with all the equipment let you run radically different forces. TANKS is very shallow in comparison. X-wing got a foothold because of the prepainted minis and Starwars, but the surprising depth of it is what's kept people coming back. TANKS lacked both the initial powerful hook, and the depth that keeps gameplay interesting.

Maybe BF should have teamed up with Girls und Panzer.

So who is going to start 'Nam?
*crickets chirp*
I just bought a ton of Peter Pig Nam figures for a South Korean army in TY so I have one side already. I might buy some of their NVA stuff when I finish with the current batch.

Wargaming, makers of World of Tanks already did.

Thanks, I've been painting a ton of Epic40k stuff lately and don't mind painting tiny rectangles at that scale. I'm just wondering if I should bother masking it off with tape or just free handing it.

BF is closing the forum
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=53&art_id=5964

Cheers

wew

Quick, someone grab all of the Cheers comments so we can laugh at them eternally.

"but across the world on third-party websites (such as Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, and many other fantastic community-run websites)"

They want us to use Facebook? Normie get out.

Anyone know if there a version of Colours of War that's complete out there? The one in the database here is just Germany and the other one I found is just Britain. Finally getting around to painting my Open Fire box set that's been assembled on the shelf for more than a year.

I'm dumb it's not just Germany but it's still missing the first 30 pages or so which are referenced in the other painting guides

So is TANKS dead in the water or something?

I don't think it's dead, but since all models in tanks are plastic BF kits, they won't get a new release unless something new comes out for FOW.
I would expect an Eytie entry into TANKS!!!!!!!!!!!! soon.

Oh, that's good then. I got the starter set, I like the models and the rules seem quick and simple enough for what it is as a quick skirmish game.

but across the world on third-party websites (such as Veeky Forums FoW-General, Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, and many other fantastic community-run websites)"

Fixed

Cheers

It wouldn't have made the game any better, but I would have bought more.

But they did so little with it.

>As people and as a company we have found ourselves turning more and more to social media options to share our passions and hobbies with the community.
>We don't use the forums anymore so neither can you.

This doesn’t inspire confidence for the health of the game. What the fuck does the average Battlefront employee (besides like Evan and the other sculptors/model design and production people) do all day? Tiny books come out every 2 months with a card pack. They don’t have time to reliably check their forums? The Facebook page is arguably worse than the forum ever was, because somehow it is able to distill 100% stupid out of people who post.

The search tool is broken. Wew.

The traffic on their Facebook page is massive, with a couple thousand members on each page (except the painting one huehuehue). On the forum not so much.

Maybe they will create a new community web page named...Battlefront Comunity?

>epic40k
Brother

I think this one is complete:

mediafire.com/file/mr7qlquq3il2cnc/Colours of War.pdf

Wow, I’m surprised it’s taken them this long.

I for one am not going to miss the forums.

I’ve barely ever used them, and have always seen them as a raging dumpster fire full of self-important ego-maniacs.

Say what you want about the various social media platforms, but I honestly don’t see anywhere near the same level of idiotic dick measuring contests on the Facebook pages compared to the official forums.

Just go to one of BF's pages and read through one of them "Battle Reports". The Korean boi who bought like 10 boxes of LAVs was playing on a table that was completely flat and you could see from short edge to short edge and people were praising his table "looked nice".

I saw the same pictures on Facebook.

Leave it to a Korean to figure out the new Zerg Rush...

Anyone else having issues accessing the scans database?

The link is working fine for me.

Damn it.

All I want is Overlord, could someone please do me a favour and get me a direct link?

Here’s the direct link.

mediafire.com/file/abnceons2rnz4wp/Overlord.pdf

Hopefully that’ll help.

Hello fellow naked survivor from Rust.

A thousand blessings upon you, user. You're a lifesaver.

The Korean LAVs are fucking hilarious though.

I think reading Avanti finally made me realise how fucked V4 is.
Why is there no option to take an armoured car company? Why should I have to buy cards to do that?
Just put it in the fucking book goddamn it.
I don't even own Italian armoured cars but this stripping of flavour is really getting to me.

Haha wow..... I mean they weren't great forums but still.

"We can't even be bothered pretending we're listening to the community anymore".

"Cheers"

I’ve seen Phil and a few of the others responding to Facebook posts, so I doubt that they’re doing this so they can ignore the community.

Hell, I’ve been personally CHEERS-ed by Phil on Facebook over the Sergeant York.

We've all been cheered by Phil.

My only crime, asking about the ASU-85 and VDV armor.

Mate, that is like 4+ books away from now.
That would be like asking them where the Mi-8 is.

>mediafire.com/file/mr7qlquq3il2cnc/Colours of War.pdf
Thanks much! Looks like I was already going in the right direction for some of the details on infantry I wasn't sure of. Also holy shit painting all these infantry is going to be a huge pain in the ass.

This was actually back when they first announced afghansty. Everyone was speculating about what was going to be in the booklet. Then we got it. Then we were all disappointed.

Ah, back when we were not sure what to expect.

Back when we heard a special release of Elite Russian Airborne troops was coming and expected to get the Russian Airborne instead of some differently stat-ed infantry with unique models that required a new purchase.

Good thing we know what to expect now. Like people knew they weren't going to get a lot in the new Soviet book besides the stuff already in the East German book, and people who heard of the new USA book didn't need to expect that they would be getting more than an updated tank and a new light vehicle or two.
Not like BF would include the armoured recon, airborne, and amphibious assault forces with new formations and equipment to outfit them all...

The full Avanti scan, and the full Colours of War scan have been added to the scans database!

>Then we were all disappointed

Sums up the past year pretty well.

I’ve been relatively pleased with the new releases.

Stripes and Fighting First were both pretty good.

Avanti looks pretty good, and has tempted a friend of mine to get into Mid-War.

Red Thunder added some decent support options to Soviets, and have them a tank that’s closer to being on-par with NATO.

Allied formations for all of Team Yankee was a nice touch.

And the plastic kits that have been released have all been quite good.

So I’m pretty happy with BF’s recent releases myself.

I'm with you user.
Holding my breath for mw eastern front.

Excellent.

Thank you.

What the actual fuck is going on in that picture?

That has to be photoshopped. Right?

it's too damn small to be an Akula (Typhoon)

most likely digital art or a sculpture of epic proportions.

And do what with them? Zip around with machine guns while not killing anything? They left important stuff out of the book but recon companies is not one of those things.

>Zip around with machine guns while not killing anything?
>machine guns can't kill anything

Not that user but a cheap company of A/Cs added to another formation would not be worthless. Adding scout moves at the start of the game, MGing infantry off of objectives, and rushing around to contest objectives is pretty nice.

A/Cs are not useless.

Do you really need more than the two units you can already take? I ran two spearhead units in my Germans and spent most of the game wondering why I even brought the second unit. Also IMO the L6/40s are the better recon option anyway.

>MGs
>dug in infantry
You're funny.

The armored car formation also let you bring the L6/40 in North Africa

But it makes you take cars. I can see the argument for the recon L6/40 formation but I don't get why you want to run slow flimsy A/Cs as side from them looking nice. I am not saying not to play with it if you already had the cars but in V4 I don't think it would have been worth the space to put them in. Still no excuse for no motor bikes and Fucilieri though.

>motor bikes

Maybe it’s just me, but I always found those to be a bit ridiculous.

Has anyone magnetized their Panther/Jagdpanther hulls to swap them? If so, how'd you do it, and do you have any pics?

Its the same amount of ridiculous as having soft skin transports but no one complained about that. They should also put the bicycle troops in as well.

>Stripes and Fighting First were both pretty good.
Agreed.

>Red Thunder/Avanti
Ok these both sum up my issue with v4 and TY perfectly. In both cases they are the most boring generic flavorless versions of each army possible. Red thunder is especially a kick in the dick when compared to Stripes.

>And the plastic kits that have been released have all been quite good.
Again I agree, although i'm starting to find the price a little off putting compared to their competitors.

My other real issue is product abandonment and trying to make their strange world view fit whatever setting they're working on. I of course refer to The Pacific, Great War (although i'm aware that was kind of a one-off) and the newly released "Great East Asian Tank War" book.

What I find most frustrating though is I actually really like Battlefront and I so badly want to like games like Team Yankee and v4. However, every time I look at them they just leave me cold and uninterested, something that never used to be the case.

>"Great East Asian Tank War" book.
I keep pointing this out, the Vietcong did eventually bring their tanks out to play in the final phase of the war, these options existed in the old book, the only difference is now that the stuff is in plastic, instead of in Resin. Which if you have a memory longer than six months, is something the majority of the community despised because it meant that their OPFOR Force weighed six tonnes and cost 600 dollars.

>That feel when theirs still no sexy gun truck options.

>Vietcong....tanks
Do you mean NVA?

Yes, they only really used tanks after the Paris Peace accord in '73, after the US had left. Apart from a few small skirmishes like Ben Het Camp and the larger battle of An Lộc in "72 I grant you. The majority of the Vietnam War though did not feature the use of NVA tanks.

>memory longer than six months
Yes, and if you also remember longer than six months you'll remember everyone complained about the old books having the tank lists too because of how ahistorical they were.

A better option would have been to include them as support options (maybe three or four boxes) for the infantry lists rather than a list in their own right. That way you could recreate the battles at the very end of the war without trying to make an infantry company skirmish game all about tanks.

Haha oh god the idea of those poor NVA players tables slowly creaking under the weight of all these resin T55 hulls.

youtu.be/FfS58GeEhdM

morning wood!

so, did they really leave Hog's out of 'Nam?
sauce?

No clue.

I don’t think anyone here has seen the new book yet.

Although I think NuWWPD reported on their absence.

Yes as they just cut off Hog kit from Huey plastic box

The issue with Tour of Duty was that it shoved various phases of the war together without any sense. Imagine if FOW wasn't split into eras. American players were forced to ask themselves how to deal with 45 T-34s and the entire game was an abortion of spam and metagaming. Having Ia Drang vs AnLoc-there are no words to express how lazy this is.

Guise, I need your assistance. My friend wants to start late war soviets.
Which book has something like diehard tank veterans, so he can start with 500pts and as little models as possible, and expand on it later?

NuWWPD? Link?

btassault.wpengine.com/nam-1965-1972-initial-book-review-and-my-third-tour/

Some of the regular bloggers from WWPD started a new podcast called No Dice No Glory.

They’re not quite as good as the original WWPD crew, and it shows.

And even WWPD wasn’t all that great for the past year or so before they called it quits.

>soviets
>tank veterans

Heroes, you'll want either Berlin or Desperate Measures.

Either do Hero Tankovy in Desperate Measure. Or Hero Lend Lease Tankovy from the Berlin Digital list (also in the SCANS database). For the love of Phil don’t let him to hero heavy tanks or hero heavy assault guns because they are expensive, those lists are bad and he will probably not enjoy playing them.

>veteran soviets

something tells me, with the removal of the forums and reliance now on SocMed, we might actually see V4nuPoints Soviet Tank Heroes lists that are hit on 4+ sometime by 2020.

maybe....

I am someone mostly interested in TY PACT forces, and I am all aboard the "PACT needs some love" train, so I made some graphs. By the end of it I figured that the PACT isn't doing too bad on vehicles (even if some are really similar or unnecessary), but it definitely has problems for formations (and kits that should be combined like the NATO ones, looking at you BRDM).

Enjoy?

Oh yeah, and if you can correct me on anything (like the release date for Afgantsy) that would be appreciated.

Still raging at these copy+paste PACT formations.

Can we get some ideas going for new PACT formations? I am thinking the following would be doable (ie require the fewest new kits and play different enough from):
-Recon Company (BRDM-2s,a few BMP recces, & a platoon of T-72. I just want a recce company for PACT)
-Naval Infantry battalion (PT-76s, BTR/BMP)
-VDV Battalion (Mi-8)

Also, kits that could be included easily, like:
-MTLB (transport)
-MTLB 120mm Mortar (to give a similar cheap artillery option that NATO has)

The MTLB, 120mm Mort, SA-13, and Storm could be combined into one or two boxes like the M113, M106, M163, and M901 are.

I think the disparity is particularly bad for plastic kits.
>only battlefront kits counted, no melty man plastic, and no repeats.

US: M1, M113, M901/VADS, Humber, Huey, M60, and Cobra

WGR: Leo 2, Marder, PAH

UK: Chieftain, FV432/Swingfire, Scorpion/Scimitar, Spartan/Stryker/MCT, Lynx

Total: 15

Soviet: T-72, BMP-1/BMP-2, Hind, T-64, BTR-60

DDR: Cheers

Total:5

I suppose soon WarPac will be up to 6 kits with the plastic T-55 (over a year after Volksarmee released).

Hey volks, retired when player here, started collecting 4 months ago when I found a stack of old fow books at lgs for a dollar each. Got me interested and i decided to start with mostly mw v4 stuff. Since then i assembled a german mw army. So far got 7 panzer iv, 7 panzer iii, 2 tigers, 4 marder, 4 schleppers, 2 88s, 4 aa tracks, and also a panther and panzergrenadier platoon for the start of a mw/lw non afrikakorps army. I also recently bought Brits and burgers armies but they army assembled yet. Only played with drunk friends so far.
I ain't got any questions atm, just wanted to let ya all know that I'm here lurking.

Hey folks, starting to think about my list for the Canadian Nationals in September.

This is what i got so far, planning on spending the remaining 7 points on cards but not sure what I want to get. I figure I should either make my Stuarts or some of my arty trained but I don't know what much about the Mid War meta.

pls gib suggestions