Shitposting general: For all your random idea needs

>What is this?
Thread for ideas that are not worth there own thread
>Why do this?
This is an experiment if this could be a thing that catches on.
>What do we put here?
Whatever from memes to your hatreds, from magical realm stuff to guys to complain about it.

However there is one request I have - keep this Veeky Forums related.

Obligatory

Well yeah, but better one would be - have you read the rules.
You would be surprised how many of the problems people have with any system can be fixed by reading the rules.

>Nat 1 hyperexaggerated auto-fail
>Nat 20 hyperexaggerated auto-success
>Never take 20, EVER
>Roll for everything, even tasks that are trivially easy or literally impossible
>WHY D20 A SHIT GUISE OMG SO SWINGY

That seems more like a bad GM then anything else.

>had an awesome FLGS in my old town
>played magic there consistently, generally had a great time
>moved to a new city for a new job
>lose said job
>now I have no job and no one to play magic with
How do I fix this? I tried going to a new lgs but it's just so... sterile and bland. They barely run drafts, and mostly cater to comic books/standard.

If a character is playing a complete idiot, and for this reason intentionally ignores any kind of hook in favor of his own mission even when it goes against what the group wants (such as ignoring an obviously mind controlled person because "my character is too dumb to notice something like that"), is that good role-playing or they being That Guy?

This covers about 99% of the rules questions posted in /40kg/. RPG rules can be a little esoteric, but there it's literally questions with clear, often simply numeric answers which are stated clearly in the basic rules.

>intentionally ignores any kind of hook

Your GM puts work into making all that game content. Find a reason to follow up on it and enjoy it.

>>WHY D20 A SHIT GUISE OMG SO SWINGY
I wasn't aware that mathematically factual things were shitposting.

I've always wondered if the swings d20 system produces could be mitigated by averaging two rolls, e.g. a skill check roll 2d20 and average them instead of just 1d20.
That would hopefully mitigate some of the ludicrosity that comes with the system.

>tfw no threads to talk about Cube

I prefer just using diepool systems instead. Some examples of ways it can be done include the core dice mechanics of WoD, shadowrun, GURPS, and ORE.

I'm working on a homebrew system and am having trouble balancing magic.

I really love that the 40k RPGs lets you use as much magic as you liked, but that Perils of the Warp discouraged over-use. Unfortunately that sort of punishment mechanic is pretty setting specific.

I'd hate to go for DnDesque Vancian Magic, but giving players a resource akin to "mana" also seems a bit clunky to me.

What other methods have you seen RPG systems use to balance magic?

Well shit...Most of the posts here are actually kind of reasonable.... Reverse psychology?

With proper bonuses the d20 is as swingy as the d100 and people don't bitch about the d100, 5E doesn't do the bonuses right though

I imagine magic like this,
Magic works like running.

Use it, and you'll get physically tired.

Use it too much, and you'll pass out.

The more you do it, the longer and better you'll be able to do it in the future.

Don't use it for too long, and you'll loose it.

Magic requires time, resources, and the right circumstances to work

Dice discussion is bullshit. It's just signifiers for system tribalism. Outside of some extreme examples, like Fate's zero-granularity 4d3 ultra-bellcurve or Savage World's exploding dice, the dice themselves matter far less than how they're implemented and how they're used by the GM. Even in those fringe cases, there's no good or bad, just dice that are suited to what the system is trying to do and ones that aren't

What damage should a simple gunpowder weapon do in dnd 5e? And what range should it have?

DMG 267-268

New DM here. Since I know a lot of people generally make up PDFs and such for their setting to give to players, exactly how much should I be putting in it and how much should I leave up for my players to find out/for me to explain at the table?

thanks. That damage seems low, 1d10 from a pistol shot. I was thinking like 2d8 and give a -2 to hit beyond 10 feet

Wanna be DM here, planning to start soon actually.

What are the guidelines that I should keep in mind so my first game doesn't fail spectacularly?

Keep it very short. 5 pages, MAX. 2-3 if it's pure text without any tables or images. It's more about giving them a feel for the world and letting them know what to expect than informing them about the fine details of the setting. It's also about sparking their interest in the world so DON'T FUCKING BORE THEM. An anecdote about a certain king might be more worth putting in than a description of every single country in the region. Don't expect them to have any of it memorized, no matter how short the PDF is.
More than anything, don't worry so much about failing. Give the PCs things to do and keep the game moving, and it'll turn out fine. Don't overplan, go into each session with some vague ideas of where you want to go, but keep it flexible. Expect the unexpected, the unpredictability is what makes RPGs great. Never assume you know what the PCs will do in any situation, no matter how seemingly obvious, and never EVER make plans that hinge on them making a certain decision or responding a certain way. Sometimes they decide the Dark Lord makes a good point and join him. Sometimes they talk their way out of a situation you thought was inescapable. Don't punish them for it.

>It's more about giving them a feel for the world and letting them know what to expect than informing them about the fine details of the setting.
I was planning on giving a brief description of the countries they'd feasibly be interacting with along with similar descriptions of the pantheon. Mostly general info your average citizen could reasonably be expected to be familiar with. Would there be anything else worth mentioning in it or am I pretty much good with just that?

I think you're pretty much good.

2e AD&D is my favorite system, flaws and all... idgaf what anyone else says, you can all stucf it :)

Alrighty. 'Preciate the advice, user!

good choice

>I've always wondered if the swings d20 system produces could be mitigated by averaging two rolls, e.g. a skill check roll 2d20 and average them instead of just 1d20.
>That would hopefully mitigate some of the ludicrosity that comes with the system.

Jeeeeeez, talk about making your life too difficult! If you want a bit of a bell curve in your D20 rolls, just roll 2D10 instead. (Or 2D6 and a D8, for even more of a curve.)

>Never assume you know what the PCs will do in any situation, no matter how seemingly obvious, and never EVER make plans that hinge on them making a certain decision or responding a certain way. Sometimes they decide the Dark Lord makes a good point and join him. Sometimes they talk their way out of a situation you thought was inescapable. Don't punish them for it.

Superb advice, totally right. PCs will frequently do things that never occurred to you at all (let alone things you expected but didn't think they'd do). And rarely will they do things you figure they'd naturally do.

>Players come to a locked door
>They can pick the lock and they can go inside
>Instead, they spend half an hour coming up with an elaborate plan involving going to the roof, rappelling down the wall, placing charges around the window, blowing it out, and swinging inside.
>Dudes, it was just a room with a clue inside.