/btg/ - BattleTech General

---------------------------------
Atlas Edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2018-02-14 - Still getting worked on & now has 24309 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2018-01-02!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/Crazzyintheusa/status/963770218072952832
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first for user builds his first mek.

taking all your suggestions on board.

i found with a standard gyro i could put back those 2 extra dhs, and still have the rear er small. and i put on the 10 rear armour.
even if it makes the front kinda anemic.

i mean, this isn't a SILL idea, is it? artemis is good for missiles, and having the benefits of both ecm and bap makes it even more sneaky and archer-y... No?

WAY oversinked, undergunned, and too much in the way of fancy electronics it really doesn't need.

if i give it less than 12 / 14 dhs the heat goes red. which is bad, right?

Aw hell, I meant to change that last part in OP. The pastebin got a little more info yesterday. Oh well.

Who is everybody's BT valentine?

All that means is that if you fire everything at once there'll be excess heat, which is absolutely fine for a mech. All you really need heat dissipation wise is enough to fire your primary weapons (in this case the MMLs) continuously at range. If you overheat slightly (under 5 points, which means absolutely nothing) when firing everything at close range, that's realistically fine.
This design doesn't really need anything more than the ten free DHS, and by dumping that and the electronics, you free up a lot of space for more missiles, which you need, because this thing has less firepower than the Archer-2R despite costing more than twice as much

The active probe isn't doing much on a mech that size. ECM has some minor use in countering enemy ECM that would jam the Artemis. One issue is too much ammo. Since MMLs are only firing one type at a time you don;t need as much as one, and using alternate ammo types won't take advantage of Artemis. Even just dropping a couple tons would leave you with plenty of ArtIV and still be able to bring a ton each of specialty SRM and LRM.

Thing is a mech can build up 4 excess heat points before hitting penalties. It's okay to run warm, mostmechs you basically have to in order to get the most out of them. Just don't fire a medium laser or two for one round and cool off, plus the small laser isn't going to see that much use anyway and can be mostly ignored for heat buildup.

OH, ok. i was wondering why i couldn't put on MORE guns and stuff due to it red heating at me as if i'd stuffed up.

Here's a fwooshier hot version.

So, thought experiment.

If you could field any three canon Aerospace Fighter designs, which three would you pick?

Go with general designs, not specific variants

Stuka, Eisensturm and Slayer. Because why not? I like my aeros like I like my women, fully packed and not a lick of fat on them.

Aside from my wife?

Probably a Marik princess. And the Perseus.

Yo I need some help creating a fluffy list for a campaign, I'm looking to create a bandit/pirate force inspired by the Russian Mafia what are some good Mechs for this?

Going golfing in my Savannah Master.
twitter.com/Crazzyintheusa/status/963770218072952832

>Who is everybody's BT valentine?
Fuck Valentine's. This is the worst holiday we celebrate, by a country mile. Fuck today and fuck everything about it.

Who hurt you user?

Why can't the new Atlas look like this?

Do you really care? Do is really matter? The day is commercialized and crystallized bullshit, fuck it.

That Atlas triggers me. Instead of one LRM 20, it appears to have two LRM 10s. It does look very nice though.

That's not very nice, user. What did the Valentine ever do to you?

It just looks weird. I like a lot of Alex's stuff but the Atlas MWO went with looks retarded. Not even his fault, it's what they wanted.

I kinda like it. It's not my favorite Atlas but it's alright. I think I prefer it to the 3025 art of the Atlas.

Look on the bright side.

If you're a Chicago mobster its a day to celebrate the massacre of your enemies.

And afterwards all that chocolate will be really fucking cheap.

EVERY mwo mech pretty much is reduced to looking retarded.

sure, the artist/s is/are great.

but the fucktarded moddelers CANNOT into making those arts 3d. like, at all. the differences are rediculous. and then when you add fucking cancerboxes for all the weapons in the game then it gets even worse.

for example, the banshee assault mech with three large lasers on one shoulder, and two large lasers on the other shoulder, has tiny little cancer dots.

meanwhile the pathetic pari of small lasers at the hip[s to force those LLAS to go up high mounts, is a tinier cancer dot, in the middle of an obvious MASSIVE torso / belly weapon housing.

Why are British tanks the most aesthetic of all?

Riflechan

Do, do you make her overheat, user?

They changed its silhouette completely and made the skull look really weird. Some of the MWO designs are really cool, the Marauder works for me, they had to make it different for legal reasons but it keeps the vibe of the original. No other MAD design has. The Clan stuff almost all looks fantastic.

I think they just fucked up the first run of IS mechs.

The ingame MWO models may look crappy but bloody hell do I love what they've done to a lot of the 'Mechs. Pic related is awesome; the Stalker without the sillymech legs is simply fantastic; the Victor and the non-boxhead Centurion actually looks hard as nails.

Can somebody tell me what clans could be considered "good guys?" Especially the bears?

Yup, everything after that first wave of IS mechs has looked pretty great. They allowed curves back in for a start.

Wardens would be a start.

I concur. Look at this Victor, it looks like it should be permanently do the slo-mo hard man walk.

Swordsman.
>Its original 145-rated primitive fusion engine was chosen to give the design the mobility to keep up with contemporary 'Mechs such as the BattleAxe and Mackie.
This depiction seems to refer to Valentine designed as a slow infantry tank.

I do think this is a bit over greebly but the newer IS redesigns tend to be better for it.

>Swordsman.
I'm glad I'm not the only guy here who really likes that mech. It looks fabulous and was very solid in its day. It needs a mini so I can spend all my money on them.

Pretty much just the Smoke Jaguars.

To be fair it's been a trait constantly seen on Atlas depictions for a long damn time now.

thats what happens when a bunch of MechWarrior children demand mechlab. You get shitty looking 'Mechs.

Wolverines

Because it's a manufactured day of luuuurrrvvv, who are your favorite artists, writers, idea men and /btg/ contributors? Show some love.

For me, I pretty much love most of everybody here, except the very few grouches. Also I lurv our local artists, and those official ones that show up from time to time.

What pisses me off about the MWO Victor is how the laser mounts on the back of the LA are so far apart. They should be a lot closer, would make it look a lot better.

Lu Wei Bing. And I'm not even a Cappie.

Special shout-out to campaign user for trying to get the Veeky Forums TRO back on track.

This lovely lady right here.

I'm not going to lie, I'm a whore for large bore autocannons.

Mackie-chan, of course.
Everyone knows first girl is always best girl

>To be fair it's been a trait constantly seen on Atlas depictions for a long damn time now.

I wonder when that started. TRO 3025 showed it with what looks like an LRM-5, and the fluff text explains how it's a rapidly-reloading-and-firing unit that shoves out 20 missiles rapidly enough to count as an LRM-20:

>The Atlas' long-range missile delivery system is a unique design. Upon discovering that 20 launching tubes would not fit into the 'Mech's torso, the designers decided to install five tubes with a feed system hat can shoot four salvos within ten seconds.

I know what you're saying, though; the Plastech Atlas from all those decades ago has the same "split LRM-10's" thing going on. Curiously enough, it *also* has the missile launcher on the left side of the waist. Maybe later designers an sculptors thought it would look better to hang the SRM-6 on the hip and install the LRM-20 in the chest.

I plead ignant. Can somebody explain to me the prime version of the clan Gladiator / Executioner? MegaMek says it's massively over-sinked.

She does a perfectly good job of that on her own.

I bet Mackie-chan only likes having creampie sex. No protection for Mackie-chan!

it is massively oversinked. 16 DHS (32) heat for a GR and two ERLLs (25) worth of heat.

YES, BUT THE BIGGER QUESTION, IS WILL YOU TAKE RESPONSIBILITY?

Nah, I'm a Taurian. After knocking Mackie-chan up in a Case Amber ambush I retreat into the Hyades and become a NEET.

Wolverines, Blood Spirit, Goliath Scorpions.

Basically the clans that realized the clan way was bullshit and tried their own thing.

16 is just the base chassis sinks, the Prime adds three more for some damn reason.

The Trebuchet

I'm guessing the 19(38) is for a close range alpha with all the lasers.

Nah, I'm Purple Burd. Unless there's paternity testing it will be impossible to determine who the father was after everyone takes their parliamentary assigned turn.

Yes, how else will the FRR raise strong children?

I'm also a taurian, but since I only ever Mackie-chan's taurian cousin, I'll take responsibility for *that* baby, but not her sister's

Prime is 1 GR, 2 ERLLs, and 2 MGs, that's it. You might be thinking of the A, which is 3 LPLs, 4 ERMLs, and 2 MGs, and thus needs its 19 sinks.

>baby is radioactive
Guess it was the Regulans...

how well does battletech hold up as an RPG? i wanna stomp in a giant robot but i don't have much of a brain for strategy games

So what I'm getting here is that you have the original Mackie, and then her sextuplet identical younger sisterd

Shit, you're right. I was going off memory and thinking of the A.

The Mechwarrior 2e and especially 3rd edition (Classic Battletech RPG is the reissue name, IIRC) are perfectly fine RPGs, and if you want, you can stomp shit in them as well. Even though I've always done the RPG in the RPG, giant robot fighting on tabletop (or Megamek nowadays), there are rules for 'Mech fighting for the Mechwarrior books too.

I'm pretty glad for Chris Daranouvong. Dude started by drawing for the fan-made TRO:3063, ended up doing some of the best art for the official TRO:3145.

should i avoid A Time of War?

It's... clunky. I've run it only a couple of times, and it doesn't feel as smooth as the older Mechwarrior games.

Yes, definitely

A modification to the BattleMech Manual's Battlefield Support ASFs section, for anyone who'd like to review and give feedback.

In our campaign, we're actually running logistics and while we're happy to not have to run a full AT2 game alongwide the ground game if we want air support, we're finding the BMM rules increasingly lacking. In fairness, they weren't intended to be used with a campaign, but they have no provision for pilot skill, taking damage or losing your ASFs in any way, shooting back at the incoming ASFs, and so forth. This is my attempt to find a middle ground beween the two systems, with the specific goal of keeping the entire ruleset to one page.

It adds or clarifies the following issues over BMM:
>1) Aerospace Classification: currently, nothing prohibits a 100-ton fighter from doing Light Air Cover. 60 tons is the breakpoint where we start seeing fighters that care more about armor/firepower than speed (due to the way engine ratings work), so that's where I put the demarcation.
>2) Using Gunnery Skill for TNs. Using Regular Pilots, this puts the TNs roughly where they are in the BMM.
>3) Air Defense TNs: These were massaged slightly. It's very clear that the design intent in BMM was that you want to use Light Fighters to Air Cover against Light Air Attacks, and use Heavy against Heavy. So I messed with the Gunnery Values slightly to emphasize that. However, this also ties in to the next change:
>4) Dealing damage to ASFs when using Air Cover.
>5) Simplified Ground-to-air Calculations. Trying to make the math easier and reduce confusion by removing Altitude and Angle of Attack from the equation and simply installing a fixed modifier.
>6) Clarified BSP purchases. It doesn't matter in the BMM whether there's a single ASF doing everything, or if there's lots of ASFs each doing one thing.
>7) Allow for other weapons. Extra-large guns and non-bomb external ordnance.

The goal is maximal playability while still retaining logistic detail.

More like Mackie-chan's mum had her, then immediately became a nuclear-grade thot, and had six more kids by six fathers in five years, who somehow all grew up into respectable ladies

Taurian cousin?

I'm going to be contrary to the other guy and say that MW 3rd ed was a giant garbage fire.

However, Battletech is at its heart a fairly simple setting, in terms of special setting elements that need to be translated into rules. It's guys with guns: no psionics, no supertech, no aliens. As such, you could run a game using Spycraft or HERO or GURPS or D20 Modern or the CoC system or whatever you want. It's setting that makes BT unique, and for that I think it's one of the best RPG opportunities ever made.

All the successor states knocked the Mackie off within a few years of the lyrans doing so, the taurians, who were at the time pretty much the seventh great house, also did so, and in the strange mind of the mech waifuist, that makes the knockoffs 'cousins' to the original. (I would have said half-sisters instead, but anyways)

I remember seeing a side profile shot of a combat neurohelmet on a mechwarrior in full suit. The mechwarrior was in a 'Mech, and I cannot for the life of me find the image.

Do you remember the color of it? Also check the booru under helmet or neruo_helmet. It might show up.

I do not know enough about Aerotech to really go through this in a way you'd find helpful. However, I do want to support you doing things like this, so please, continue, it's interesting to see what an expert would do to change/fix things.

The more I look at it, the more I realize the Taurian Concordat was really like the second great house. They were older than all the Successor States and militarily more powerful. They were second in power and age only to the Terran Hegemony, and that's why they were targeted for destruction by the united forces of the Star League.

The Taurian Concordat did nothing wrong! Taurus will rise again!

Well what they did wrong was exist and be stubborn. But really, yeah they and the Canopians and Outworlders didn't deserve the Reunification War. All they asked was to be left alone.

No worries. Here's the relevant rules from the BattleMech Manual. My rules are meant as an expansion to these, making air attacks more than essentially "quicktime events".

>Canopians
>didn't deserve the Reunification War

Kill all trannies and women who don't know their place. The SLDF's only mistake was not wiping them all out.

Please, the issue of Canopus is not that women don't know their place. Any state that gives women political power will see itself stagnate and die, just look at Western civilization today. The problem is the men of Canopus being such cucks that they allow themselves to be dominated by half the population which they could easily overpower.

heh, is that good enough? Can we move past the faux Canopus bashing now?

Only if we have pics of Canopus men posing in front of the camera with their mouths wide open like soyboys getting to have their newest Rick and Morty DVDs or plush pickles or whatever.

Also what mechs would be honestly considered "female"? The Gemini? I'm still looking for stats on that one.

It was B&W, good call on the booru, didn't think of that

Really what they did wrong was somehow get on the bad side of captain maximum fiat

The penetrator, obviously.

Don't you mean the Penatrator(female)?

Victor Milan died.

That psycho Hazen btich certainly was compelling.

how?

Cancer.

Good lord. I didn't think you could ACTUALLY die from /pol/posting.

It was not in the booru. Damn.

i'd fuck morrigan

Is the Marshal a good mech?

How does it compare the traditional 55-ton trio?

>Is the Marshal a good mech?
I like it. It looks nice and plays well. I like the -2L variant the most though, getting that LRM-15 is big game.

>How does it compare the traditional 55-ton trio?
Well, it's not a Griffin but neither is it a Shadow Hawk, so you know, mixed bag and all that. It's a trooper and it troops well. Don't ask it to do much more than that however.

The Canopian variant NEA did is fucking fantastic.

>Is the Marshal a good mech?
For it's tech level? Yeah, it's a dead solid medium trooper in it's home environment, though it gets pretty meh against real level 2 designs
>How does it compare the traditional 55-ton trio?
It doesn't really fill the same role, but in comparison to enforcers and vindicators and others in it's class, it's pretty solid

So time for devs to write off Hazen? Maybe get killed by her pet?

Could you some advice for my current ATB campaign. I got lucky and landed a team of IS Standard battle armor troops in 3054. Problem is, I don't seem able to find a dropship that actually HAS BA bays to carry them.

Is there a particular dropship that'd be a good choice I should be looking to pick up? If not right now then down the road?