Mtg Announcement day General

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/valentines-day-mini-announcement-day-2018-02-14

Battlebond, a Two headed giant themed set

Commander anthology v2

From the vault:Jace

Portal 3 kindoms v2

And C18 featuring Planeswalker commanders

Thread question: what are your hopes for these upcoming sets?

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/products/Battlebond
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-battlebond-2018-02-14
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Reprint of the Zodiac Dragon in a readable language?

?

Innistrad was Horror, Theros was Greek Mythology, and Battlebond’s theme is “sports and e-sports”? Bleh, I think I’ll pass.

Picked up Commander Anthology recently. For the 150$ the value seems fine and the selection of the decks was also pretty good. Happy to pick up the new one. Hopefully Karador finds it's way in it.

I initially read Commanders Anthology 2 as Commanders Arsenal 2 and now I'm just salty at Wizards again.

They better reprint imperial seal.

I wonder who they're putting in the new anthology. I hope that Daretti, Riku, and either Breya or the C13 esper decks make it.

Mu Yanling sounds like the name of a female martial artist who wields a Jian. Likely in Jeskai colors. Might have dead parents and is a trickster by nature.

Jiang Yanggu sounds like a Humble Budoka-esque burly bloke who wields something along the flavor of a Dao or a spiked club and could be in some Jund types of colors.

Kinda excited, they mention that the design team is manned by Chinese people and we're straight up working with real Chinese names as opposed to Narset/Sarkhan/Tasigur.

Why does the english version of the chink set have 20 more cards?

Tarkir was Mongolia, you fucking porchmonkey

From the site:

>Welcome to Battlebond, where competitors battle in pairs. Recruit a trusted partner and fight shoulder-to-shoulder, hand-in-hand, or back-to-back for glory and the roar of the crowd! Forge an unbreakable bond with your combat companion and claim your place in the pantheon of champions!

magic.wizards.com/en/products/Battlebond

Sounds more like colloseum/gladiatory themed by the description.

It IS a pretty vague description, I'll give you that.

Also:

>Two-headed Giant

Who cares about this format anymore? I thought Commander had taken the post as the casual format.

People who like to build actual decks without high power levels?

>Coming in 2018, Magic: The Gathering is getting its own life counter app that does so much more than just track your opponents' fall from 20 to 0.
Oh boy, they're trying this again?

>Who cares about this format anymore? I thought Commander had taken the post as the casual format.
I always do 2HG for pre-releases.

battlebond will probably be some blood bowl-esqe plane
I'm betting on the foil for FTV: Jace being his Counterspell

I for one am perfectly fine with a Return to P3K.

>And whether you and your best friend have been playing for ages and want to team up
>or you're looking for the perfect chance to bring someone...
>(perhaps a child, significant other, family member, or even just lapsed Magic player)-
>perhaps a child
>a child
>child

Le jeremy meme xd +1 upvote my dude

Pauper?

>literally from the vault: jace

You have got to be shitting me. I thought they finally understood that people are fucking fed up with jace this, jace that.

The set's theme is WWE, I'm betting.

IF YA SMELL WHAT THE PHYREXIAN PLAGUELORD IS COOKING

I can get behind that.

I dunno, a Blood-Bowl or Monday Night Combat type setting would be pretty fun for a silly draft.
I just dont understand why it isnt in the winter when everyone is sick to death of drafting the winter standard set,

Tarkir was Mongolia (Mardu) India/SEAsia (Sultan) Himelayans/SnowAsians (Temur) Arabs/Middle East (Abzan) and China (Jeskai).

>What kind of flavor can you expect? After all, our worlds are normally built with flavorful creative underpinnings and tropes. Theros, for example, was Greek mythology. Innistrad was Victorian horror.

i'm not sure why but something about this line bothers me alot.

Check the explanation page-
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-battlebond-2018-02-14

“...our worlds are normally built with flavorful creative underpinnings and tropes. Theros, for example, was Greek mythology. Innistrad was Victorian horror. Battlebond goes to a rich well of flavor Magic has never touched before: sports and games!
>Battlebond is our love letter to sports and e-sports alike.”

this sounds terrible

Innistrad was victorian horror until they decided to ruin it by killing all angels with thigh boots. Because feminist hated them.

>e-sports

Sounds like it does not fit into magic at all.

they probably just have some focus group testing that says that their key demos don't respond to sports but do to esports

no-one would be so insane as to try and cram a simile of esports into a magic setting

You think so? This IS WotC we’re talking about here.

None of these excite me.

fantastic

tell me more

>THIS LIFE COUNTER APP DOES SO MUCH MORE THAN COUNT LIFE
>SO MUCH MORE, IN FACT, IT'LL ACTUALLY BE DIFFICULT TO GET IT TO COUNT LIFE
>WE'RE CHARGING $3 FOR IT

Magics flavor is flexiblr as fuck.

Giant Robots, Greek Gods, Gothic Horror, Rennsaince Politics, and Geiger Horror fit in the game , a Gladiator/Contest Battle world fits as well.

>For Limited, you can play Battlebond in either Sealed Deck or Booster Draft. Like Conspiracy, it's a mix of reprint cards and new cards. There are 254 unique cards in total, and 85 of those cards are brand new, all of which will immediately be legal in Commander, Legacy, and Vintage! The rest are all reprints, some of which even have spiffy new artwork. (And many of them I think you'll be quite excited for.)

Ready to be disappointed when none of these reprints are cards that literally nobody wants?

Commander Anthony is just reprints of cards with not much value.
More Jace. Ugh
The portal one might be ok but not hype.
The sports themed one , no one plays 2hg.

>Thread question: what are your hopes for these upcoming sets?

I've already decided to leave Magic so I kind of hope they all fail and WotC is shut down. It know it's selfish, but I'll feel better leaving if the house burns down after me.

CN2 was a better Eternal reprint set than Eternal Masters

Conspiracy 2 had some amazing reprints though, and this is in Conspiracy's slot.

>ugh
>>>/tumblr/

>85 of those cards are brand new, all of which will immediately be legal in Commander, Legacy, and Vintage!
Hold up. They just name dropped good formats. I expect something stupidly strong, like Leovold stupidly strong. Regardless of quality, there will be one uber chase rare, a new uber chase rare teferi's protection style, calling it now.

I like to be pessimistic when it comes to wotc. Better to have no expectations and be mildly surprised than have high expectations and be disappointed. Again.

>No-one would be so insane as to try and cram a simile of esports into a magic setting
>Same company which crammed "diversity" into blocks to show how "progressive" they are
>The same company that listened to a vocal minority to change artwork, even when the minority doesn't play the fucking game
>The same company that's trying to make Magic: Marvel edition, even when players are telling them to fuck off
But you're right. Wizards wouldn't do something that stupid would they.

That's a website kinda like reddit or something? Sorry I don't know it.

>>The same company that's trying to make Magic: Marvel edition, even when players are telling them to fuck off
There was only jacetice league member in ixalan and they managed to make jace of all people an actually interesting character, and they at least seem to be intending on keeping that.
Dominaria's gonna have gideon and lili, if they keep each set to like 1-2 jacetice league members it should be decent.
That's what they should have done in the first place instead of carrying around all 5 to every plane forever, but hey they eventually fixed it.
The only diversity thing they've done that I think is stupid is retconning Gideon into being brown, I couldn't care less if [random legendary who won't ever matter] is a trans black biracial womyn because they're going to effectively cease to exist by the time the next set comes out.

It's free. Read the article, double nigger.

Sultan was Khmer Empire
Temur was Syberian Natives
Jeskai was Xialoin