/BRP/ General: The New Millenium

/BRP/ General
Annual Edition

Talk about BRP games, including Call of Cthulhu, Runequest, Stormbringer and whatever else Chaosium has licensed the system out to

Question of the day:
Do people actually still play BRP?

>This general again
Nobody plays BRP anymore fuckwad

I've been asking around multiple generals, but I haven't gotten a single answer yet

A group of friends and I want to start playing Call of Cthulhu, but I don't know where to start

1. Which edition should I use? I know 7th is the most recent, but I've heard that 6th is also quite good

2. What is the best starter scenario? I know The Haunting is the classic one, but I've heard Edge of Darkness is better. Which is better for a first time group of CoC players?

Beef boy haunts this thread

I played this system for the first time a month ago and woow. This is the best generic system I ever played in my life. I have played some CoC before but I didnt imagine this would play so good in other genres.
The GM was an experienced older player and really good so that helped.

Tell us more about it user

you better not be op samefagging

7e strikes me as a edition set out to provide solutions to problems that only existed in the designers' drug-addled minds.
Regarding your The Haunting vs Edge of Darkness-dilemma, the obvious solution is to play both.

Not OP. It was a Conan-esque adventure. I played an old soldier that believe in a better time but was kind of depressed. I kill the fucking evil lord and found the good king. We fought a chthilhu-esque cult and a eldrich horror in ancient catacumbs. It was pretty epic and we felt every damage point we took. I love some d&d but in that game you are too poweful, here you are a human in a fantastic world.

>7e strikes me as a edition set out to provide solutions to problems that only existed in the designers' drug-addled minds.
So play 6e? Or another edition?
>Play both
I have time for a oneshot, and I want the scenario that sets the best precedent

One of these days I'll eventually find players willing to learn the system and the time to run a lengthy Dark Sun campaign using Mythras.(the best version of RuneQuest 6e) It's got that level of detail you want for more gritty, simulationist fantasy, but it's less "Here's all the legos, now make a game from it" than GURPS is. If GURPS is granular, Mythras is modular.
M-Space is also nice as well, but it's not really it's own system, more a supplement for converting Mythras into a Sci-Fi system. It's basically barebones Mythras with a load of Sci-Fi over it.

Why do so many Call of Cthulhu modules suck? Mounds of purple prose and self-referential trivia everywhere.
The only one I like so far is Deadwave.

>One of these days I'll eventually find players willing to learn the system

It's called Basic Roleplaying System for a reason user, it's not that hard to teach

Just be the only GM in the area and refuse to play any other game

Fuuuu I want to play BRP, but it's practically a dead system (with the exception of CoC 7e, and Mythras)

Dibs on the thri-kreen! Big fuckers, natural armour, 4+ action points, grow their own weapons...

7th ed is a fine ed to start with. It's less deadly than prior editions and eliminates some of the more superfluous math.

As for your first scenario, The Haunting is the classic man. It may not be the absolute best, but it's been the initiation for new players for decades.

>do people still play BRP
Yeah, every other sunday I have a group that plays

Honestly, BRP is a really solid system, and specifically the Cakebread and Walton "Renaissance" free version of the game is pretty good. it gives consolidated stats so you don't have to make them up, and has optional black powder so you can do both age of sail, or even medieval fuckery. the system isn't really so deadly, but it's pretty gritty.

I have a group, they've just given me some ground rules on how complex they're willing to go for a short-term campaign.
BRP suffers somewhat from that Words words words words problem of GURPS, so unless we're establishing a campaign that's going to last more than 6 months, BRP is outside of what they're going for.

what genre are you going for? and how long are you trying to run a campaign for?

How do I trick some D&Dfag friends of mine into playing BRP

Not sure yet. I'm considering going OSR Retroclone stuff for a Dark Sun, but I haven't yet asked the group if they want anything specific.

Trick the powergamers by showing them the magic systems of Mythras.
Trick the Edgelord with the Dark and Gritty Point buy You can build your character however you want shpiel.

>Trick the Edgelord with the Dark and Gritty Point buy
Funny thing is, when I tried to show the edgelord point buy, he absolutely refused to try it because "I always roll better stats than I can buy"

Also if you're going to go OSR, just use 2e dude, there's no point digging through retroclones when the system is tailored to the game

Though I think BRP would be great for dark sun

if you want to go for a simple medieval or some type of low tech setting, Renaissance by C&W with the Black powder filed off is a solid idea, like suggested here;

How would I run a Jojo's Bizzare Adventure game in BRP

I want to play some runequest, but I'm confused at where to hop in.

I know there's 6e which (I think) is the most recent. Then there's openquest, which is something, and two editions of Mythras that are apparently related. And they're making a new edition or.something?

Help! Where do I start?If I do start, are there beginner modules?

What's the most up to date BRP book? I know there's mythras or something, but I think that's just runequest

Edition doesn't really matter.

The Haunting is good if your players like to take the initiative and investigate on their own. Edge of Darkness is a little more structured and might be easier for you and the plays to get a feel for.

What are you used to playing? And tell us a little more about your group. Some play styles can clash with the structure of most CoC adventures.

RQ6 and Mythras (and there's only one edition) is the same game. Mythras has been scrubbed for anything that might cause copyright trouble, and that's it. Unfortunately they buggered up RQ6's layout as well, but those are the breaks.
Then there is the older "Classic RQ", which is a reprint of the original from the 80's, and the new RQ in development based on the old game.
OpenQuest was a response to Mongoose's first attempt at the game. MRQ was a mess, OQ was not.

I like them all (well, almost all), but Mythras is king. The publisher have both the core rules and some adventures free to download. Once you've figured out how the game works, mixing d100-games is no trouble.

Kill yourself

Think about the people who normally like Lovecraft shit and you have your answer.

Where does mythras fit in?

Right above RQ6. That chart is 2 years old.

Hey, I like Lovecaft shit and I'm barely literate.

Hey, I like Lovecraft shit and I'm illiterate

I've been looking at RQ/Mythras for a while now because my group is familiar with the Warhammer D100 system. Anyone have any experience moving between the two? Is there really any benefit to doing so?

Two different games that end up doing similar things. Mythras trades Warhammer's schwung for more solid mechanics.