Paizo Games General /pgg/

Paizo Games General /pgg/

Has your character fallen in love yet? Why/why not?

/pfg/ Link Repository (Pathfinder): pastebin.com/YLikTing
/sfg/ Link Repository (Starfinder): pastebin.com/PUMYw1zC
Current Playtests: pastebin.com/vK9njh31

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/KPKWdyr
i.pinimg.com/originals/6d/04/e0/6d04e0cf93d3b804df08879e24f40286.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What is it always with the anime girls?

Yes, with a chosen of Desna.

She has!
He makes her feel safe.

It's some autist who keeps posting them, but for some reason he stopped posting them when the last thread isn't even autosaging. Perhaps a cunning ruse to turn people's opinions against any who would try to post before them until BAM back to autistic page 2 OP posting. I have my eyes on the autist, but for now.

No, because people around him tend to die and he doesn't want to bother with funerals. Not because it makes him sad, but because he has his mind on something else entirely and having to attend to every burial would eat too much of his time.

Your character sounds like an asshole

Is it worthwhile to confront my gm over doing skill rolls wrong? He insists that critical success/failure applies to them.

That's because he is.

Bend him over the table and teach him to respect your dominance

Anyone got feat suggestions for a 2 weapon Ranger in an urban setting? Probably also doing the Urban Ranger thing for flavor.

It is, because skill DCs are made with it in mind that if you're good enough you actually cannot fail. Specific skills already have strong failure rules for them, a general critical failure rule is unnecessary.

>A
He's felt and acted on lust, but not love. Maybe that'll change someday?
>B
Definitely in love. It's his motivation for all the crazy things he's done.
>C
He loves money and all the goodies that come with it. Close enough, right?
>D
Too concerned with his duty to even think about love. The rate things are going, he may never get the chance to experience love.

>A
Yes. He's down with the thickness
>B
Not yet, unless a lust for money counts.

Should a half-elven magus go with Elven Spirit to help get around spell resistance in a game that has many foes with it (and Spell Penetration/Greater Spell Penetration later on), or is this a trap and I should focus more on spells that bypass it?

Yes.

A) Has a Boyfriend, who also happens to be her childhood friend and lifelong rival in the field of magic. The two are practically married.

B) he is way too dense to realise what romance is even if it hit him in the face like a flaming semi truck.

C) she has a thing for the party's Paladin. Is a formerly LE Witch, who gradually stared growing more towards the Upper end of the alignment scale, and at this point in the campaign, she has fully passed over into LG. I would be lying if the Paladin didn't have a hand in that.

Yes, with her beloved back in the farmlands

No. He hasn't the time, money, or good favor of fate for love that doesn't end in the condemnation of all participants to the worst possible hell.

No. He is the paragon of romanticism, but has no heart for romance.

>Make Paladin
>His task is to leave his home country and go to some backwater island in the middle of nowhere
>AKA Elf country
>There he must look for one of the 23 legendary magic items that the First Hero had
>Go through plenty of trials to find a lead for it and get to it
>All with a group that doesn't get along with him
>Eventually get into the vault where I see all 23 items in one spot
>Big boss dragon type also in there, plus a Tarrasque in stasis or some shit
>Dragon says "welp you getting here means shit's falling apart, anyways cya"
>Entire party gets teleported back outside without getting any of the magic items
>We all only have 5,000gp worth of items at level 10

Everyone remember the setting/technology in Legend of Korra? How would you reproduce that in Pathfinder? Specifically cars, motorcycles, radios, etc.. Without going full Numeria.

Because you never go full Numeria.

Sounds like one of my DMs, user. Really sorry, that sounds infuriating!

Guessing you can't just stroll back inside, right?

Have you considered murder?

5eg here, we had a guy shitting up our threads the same way not that long ago. Changing things in the op, using shadshit pics, then anime pics, even putting a link to shad's site. Eventually he started getting banned and his threads deleted because we just made a different one and told him to suck it.

Also yes he regularly made threads early then would throw a fit when everyone ignored it and went to the different thread. God speed and good luck.

What's the best unconventional use of a skill you've seen in a game?

I feel like shadshit is a bit easier to spot than just generic anime girls.

I don't really have good answers for these questions but I'm also curious about this. I've introduced "television" into my setting via special mass-produced crystal balls of varying sizes, and cars too (alchemically powered horses automatons were the start, but it progressed from there). The campaign has been going on for a few years in-game and I was thinking about introducing some more "technological" inventions. Magic items that are basically cells phones was my next thought.

>character that goes into arcane trickster for ranged sleight of hand or who gets it from kineticist
>uses it to steal magic items from a target, sabotage them, then return them before combat starts
Is this too much of a dick move as a NPC?

No.

Alright! Sounds like [insert memegame here] is going to be interesting next week!

Whats the general consensus on Crit Confirmation? Is it balanced or is it just a buzzkill

balanced.

Confirming crits lowers your crit rate. 3.x is the only edition which does this

You say that like it's a bad thing.

My group has some... interesting house rules about crits and confirmations.

Roll a non-nat 20 critical threat: attack is a crit always, roll to confirm a "true crit"
Failed confirmation: crit as normal
Successful confirmation: "true crit" occurs, for mooks this is instantly lethal, for PCs and bosses this means crit damage plus some special rider determined by DM (usually ability damage or a temporary condition)
Roll a nat 20 crit: attack is always a "true crit", roll to confirm "mega crit" (only confirms on another nat 20)
Successful mega crit confirmed: pretty much DM fiat, but the last one to happen literally blew up the entire 100ft X 100ft battlefield and dusted a pair of green dragons

The DM always has us roll again after a mega crit is confirmed and looks to see if we get a third nat 20, but it hasn't happened yet and he won't tell us what he'll do if it happens. I think he's pulling our leg but for the sake of the PCs and any nearby cities I hope we never chain three nat 20s, considering what a mega crit already does.

It can happen, I've seen a triple 20 in a PF game before. I've also seen a triple 1 before.

That sounds retarded, user.

Interrupt him mid monologue and say 'I jump to the moon.'

Then keep doing acrobatics checks until you make a 20.

If he rolls a one does he fall through the earth?

Oh, he's got similar rules for nat 1s.

It really is. It WAS pretty cool to have the barbarian's axe basically go nuclear in a dragon's face though. Kind of got caught up in the moment.

>tfw people are asking me questions but I'm too fucking busy to answer
fuck you work, I hate you

Thanks for sharing, friend. It means a lot.

Your GM sounds fun and I'm glad you get to play with them.

Alright, I think I ferreted out a rough guideline to follow when making a SF race.
Choose 1 of 3 templates to determine HP and how many racial options you can take from a certain type. Predator 6 HP, Adapt 4 HP, Savant 2 HP. A race can have up to 4 racial options. Determine its creature type and senses. If it has two creature types, it must use the worse of the two for any effects relating to either. It may have low light vision at no cost and an additional sense such as darkvision or scent at no additional cost. Extra senses beyond that cost one option.
Most races need to eat, breathe, and sleep. A race may ignore one of these at no cost.
There are general, movement, combat, and skill options. General are purely utility options, such as a tail, extra arms, racial telepathy, so on. A race may have two of these options.
Movement modifies what motion they're allowed. Being able to naturally climb, swim, burrow, or fly as well as additional land speed are movement options. A race with swim may be amphibious at no additional cost. A race with burrow may only dig through dirt, soil, or sand, does not leave tunnels, and must end each turn above ground until 5th level. A creature with fly must end each turn on the ground until 5th level. You may only have one movement option.
Combat relates directly to options with obvious combat potential or use. Automatic equipment proficiency, natural armor, elemental resistance, natural weapons, and bonuses to attacking specific races are examples. You may only have 2 combat options, 1 if your race uses the Savant template.
Skill options relate to non-combat options that have express benefits to your skills, automatic class skills, static bonuses, daily rerolls are all examples of skill options. You may only have up to 2 skill options, 1 if your race uses the Predator template.
You may take a racial flaw in order to gain an additional racial option.

giimme some ideas for a dungeon that would have been part of an ancient empire of elves, who are all gone from the world now

I'd say some nature based traps. Toxic vines and such.

A jail made of magic mirrors.
The rotted stump of a gigantic magic tree.
An ivory tower sunk into a swamp after centuries of magic wards have worn off.

Nix hydrocarbons . Either through writing away their adoption globally, or that the world isn't old enough to have oil deposits. Create some homebrew soulcrystal-to-energy system and there you go.

The real problem is that if there isn't some kind of limiter on technological progress, a setting like Korra's would last only 40ish years before evolving.

One of my PCs fell for another once, but the most interesting thing about it was that it was completely unplanned and unintended.

One day I just realized 'based on everything that happened between them in game and her personality, she really would have a crush on them by now.' It felt right.

Then the player retired that PC and rerolled partway through the campaign when some of the others did

PC-on-PC romance is one of the worst things that can happen to a game.

NPC Waifus are the chad option

Sounds like somebody got cockblocked. :)

You can't go into ARCANE trickster from a Kineticist because you are
>not a spellcaster
>and even if you fucking were, you'd be Psychic. Not Arcane.

Define full Numeria? I can't really tell what you mean by this.

Laser sword wielding barbarian wizards fighting haywire scorpion destroyer robots with gattlingguns and laser beams on their tails.

Arcane trickster and kineticist were being floated as two potential avenues toward the singular goal of ranged sleight of hand.

And this a problem or something?

You misunderstand. The options are
1) Go into Arcane Trickster and get Ranged Legerdemain.
or
2) Take two levels of Aether Kineticist for the Telekinetic Finesse utility talent.

I read that as an and not an or. My bad.

Fuck no, Numeria, and by extension the Iron Gods AP, are the best damned things Pathfinder has put out and despite the problem of technology being pretty much moot since it's kinda the point, save for the energy weapons vs. resistances part, that one is still valid, they are pretty neat to use.

What was that old trick, using a Shadow weapon or something that could technically transform into a Tech weapon but have infinite charges.

Does anyone know any really fun combos two PCs could be built for?

Soulknife with weapon group adaptation could mimic tech weapons.

I kinda went this problem at some point with my own custom setting. The point being that having super-tech in an otherwise fantasy setting is jarring for most players who are otherwise used to a traditional setting. Tell me how you think the following two concepts mesh together if at all?

> An absolute monarchist civilization of Tengus, whose military consists of citizen militia supporting hereditary orders of gryphon riding hussars. Said civilization has no written language of any kind, and instead records their entire history in increasingly lengthy banners that are passed down from father to son, and expanded upon as military glories are obtained by the family.

> A landscape completely riddled with marks and ruins of a truly ancient spacefaring civilization. Said ruins are 'potentially a million years old', but are often also made from strange alloys that never rust. They are filled with things like *modern firearms* and lightweight automatons powered by human souls.

There is a fine line between sci-fi setting and fantasy setting, and bluring the lines between the two is an equally difficult work. The Wheel of Time setting had almost exactly the same things as my latter description, but you would never think of it as a sci-fi setting, because these aren't the main point of it. It's kind of a background info.

I would draw the line by doing things such as having dungeon crawls inside of ancient shopping malls and ruined skyscrapers. But the focus is never on the technology, because nobody knows how to use it, and likely never will.

Shadowbound I think, which offered a Will save to take minimum damage (which still means you're pumping damage out, and the Will save is necessary every attack). Alternatively, be a Soulknife (Soulbolt or Warsoul archetypes) and just flat-out convert your soul-energy into a big fucking cannon. You're like Black Mage from 8-Bit Theatre.

With the caveat of the Will save, but yeah. Also might as well give my two cents on the laboratory and required charge parts: Batteries are dime a dozen, so are generators in Numeria, laboratories are in almost every major dungeon and if you actually run a game with technology in it and/or specifically in Numeria then those points become moot since the campaign should provide (and batteries and nanite canisters are dirt cheap anyways).

Pull an Etrian Odyssey.

I've never played those games, explain?

>>There is a fine line between sci-fi setting and fantasy setting
No there isn't. They were even considred the same genre until Dragonlance fucked everything up with pseudo renaissance only no fun allowed bullshit.

Seriously, the amount of issues with fantasy stuff that started with Dragonlance is fucking insane.
It's a dungeon crawler, where you explore a giant tree called yggradrasil. The final floor is revealed to be the ruins of Shinjuku, Tokyo and the setting is the result of a terraforming device used to help preserve life on Earth gone fucking terribly wrong.

Even on Veeky Forums, F.O.E.!

Dragonlance and FR fucked up a lot of shit

Just from the description, my guess is the games take place in a fantasy world based on Norse mythology (because the Japanese fucking LOVE Norse mythology) which is actually taking place in some kind of shelter/rehabilitation zone in the post-apocalypse, in which the gods of the world are actually computer systems of some variety.

There's not a whole lot o mythology in the games, and there's very little focus/reference to religion for the most part. A lot of the game is about humanity reconnecting with each other/meeting results of the transforming project. And the setting is pretty advanced for your average jap thing. Non magical power armor/chainswords, airships, etc. It's monster hunter shcizotech mixed with a bit of dragon quest.

>considered the same setting
Reee Dragonriders of Pern Reeeee

That's quite interesting. Also another good point.

Anyway, I mesh the two ideas kinda simply. Rather than just finding laser weapons and such, they are already mixed within the setting. The party might fight a Hussar Sergeant from this Tengu civilization, who fights them with a sword crafted from "Silversteel", or as the players would know as Titanium. Golems, clockworks, swords, armour, even the silverware of nobles gets crafted from this rare metal harvested from ancient ruins. They end up showing up in my games as masterworked items that behave similarly to equivalent magical items, but without the magic.

One of the things my players once obtained was a suit of what should have been Power Armour, but it's finer electronic components, batteries, and less durable components had all rotted away to time. While the armour itself functioned as a suit of +3 Full Plate with half the weight, because of it's exotic space-age alloys.

What would be some interesting feats for an animal companion that I recently raised to sentience?

>Has your character fallen in love yet?
Yep, unfortunately said beloved is a goddess who probably doesn't even want a stable relationship. Of course, that's what happens when you're the Pathfinder equivalent of an innawoods autist who hasn't interacted with society since early childhood and you find a statue of said goddess in an abandoned gnoll camp.

Nice trips

So i hear tiers get thrown around a good bit. How much stock should i put in them and whats the actual list look like for that matter?

You just have to know that Fighters are the top tier 'cuz they have all the feats.

It's a spitball of how much a class is and to influence a campaign/game world in meaningful ways beyond "hit dude good". Barbarian can "hit dude REAL good", wizard can't hit dudes good but could theoretically make a dude hit himself and shit gold.

you should understand what they mean in relation for each other. the low tiers are bad at their own jobs, the high tiers can be the best at just about every niche and then some. The middle tiers are in a good spot of either doing a specialized job well or doing a few things pretty good.
It's more about breadth of and quality of the tool's you have to solve a problem. A wizard has every tool made of solid steel and polished wood. A rogue has a hammer without a head (just a stick pretty much)

So I've been skimming the Spheres books, and I like what I'm seeing. How much of a hassle would it be to implement it in an existing (albeit extremely early) campaign that is currently using core mechanics?

As a more serious response, tiers are essentially a rough measurement of the potential a class has to be a deciding factor in how a campaign ends up playing out when not taking into account player motivation, unusual items, or racial capabilities.

If you're playing with newbies who can barely keep their AC calculated, you probably don't have to worry about it too much, it's mostly something that's for the people who say that the game has been "solved".

Its occurred to me that ive somehow never played a fighter...
Gotcha, where do Rangers tend to sit? They're my favorite class.

mid tier 5? until about level 10 where the spell Instant enemy fixes the massive "please cater to me GM" syndrome they have. Then they're tier 4 in the same way barbarians are. They hit REALLY hard however many times you have instant enemy per day (which warrants buying a wand of the spell) and can solve a few out of combat problems with their base spell-casting. Removing ranger spells keeps them in middle of tier 5 if not 6 because of their main accuracy booster

Fighters are actually fun now. Give it a shot, just make sure your GM will let you use AWT.

They're in love with adventure.

I was directed here to ask about the Pathfinder discord? I'm interested in playing with a group again after taking a hiatus from my last group.

discord.gg/KPKWdyr

Thank you very much

>What is it always with the anime girls?
She's from a Chinese game, therefore not anime.

Hmm, i've got a bunch of rat and goblin corpses. What do you think? Raise the rats as burning skeletons for carpet bombing, and turn the goblins into a necrocraft?

Is Necrocraft even worth it?

While I wouldn't call it love it is the most adorable and tragic thing ever and I love it.

Why do horses and animals in general have such shit Charisma
Why do Dinosaurs have really high Cha
Why does my horse as a paladin get Smite Evil but has a -2 Cha mod for smiting

because fuck you

Get a unicorn mount silly

As FUCKING RADICAL as that would be I doubt I could even begin to argue to the GM that I should get a fucking unicorn mount

It would be really fucking cool though, but, you know, martials never get to have fun

You never know until you try, if he argues it's unrealistic point out that that very thing happens in Book 3 of Vengeance, granted with a Twilight Unicorn as opposed to a normal one (since, you know, in Vengeance your party is presumably evil).

>Twilight Unicorn
But I don't want a smart wizard purple horse.

No you doof, one of these: i.pinimg.com/originals/6d/04/e0/6d04e0cf93d3b804df08879e24f40286.jpg