/osrg/ - Old School Renaissance General

Welcome to /osrg/, the Old School Revival General! Here we discuss editions of Dungeons and Dragons from the TSR era, as well as retro-clones of those editions and other games and material compatible with them.

>Trove:
pastebin.com/raw/QWyBuJxd
>Tools & Resources:
pastebin.com/raw/KKeE3etp
>Old School Blogs:
pastebin.com/raw/ZwUBVq8L
>Previous thread:
Thread Question:
When did everything get so shitty around here?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/17e1ltFE_rjXfBHI1HRXiU5GIngrO35BlqHMD9s3M578/edit?usp=sharing
unbelievable-facts.com/2016/12/hisashi-ouchi.html
jrients.blogspot.com/2011/04/twenty-quick-questions-for-your.html
necropraxis.com/2012/02/24/20-quick-questions-rules/
monstermanualsewnfrompants.blogspot.com/2014/11/this-is-not-that-list-of-questions-for.html
tenfootpolemic.blogspot.com/2014/01/200-failed-medieval-careers.html
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-1d100-actually-medieval-professions.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>When did everything get so shitty around here?

When the ACKS Nazis rolled in

Did you do this specifically to annoy that one guy, or was it just a random pic?

When the SJWs were allowed in the name of diversity.

I made that a long time ago. Guy got whiny about it. I got banned for a week when I told him to fuck off. So; a little cause I like it, a little cause fuck him.

When Skerples kept breaking rules and the people that reported his ass got banned instead.

This is probably the best one.

Racially realistic OSR when

When not OSR (euphemistically called "OSR-adjacent") content was allowed in these threads without everyone reporting it at once.

Either when coinsandscrolls branched off beyond Star Wars or when hating Skerples fell out of fashion, depending on who you ask.

Reposting from last thread's OC- Magic Rods. Method of giving characters magical combat options in games without combat magic or if you have players that whine about not having cantrips. Plus you can use them for creative puzzle solutions or utility.

Somewhere, somehow a new band of shitposters rolled in. Not saying from anywhere specific or anything

But how about instead of complaining about shitposters, we ignore them and talk about some fuckin OSR games

OSR Ghost Tracker Link!
docs.google.com/document/d/17e1ltFE_rjXfBHI1HRXiU5GIngrO35BlqHMD9s3M578/edit?usp=sharing

Remember to keep it updated with player deaths!

No joke though
>coinsandscrolls branched off beyond Star Wars
>when hating Skerples fell out of fashion
these are definitely the two most recent turning points for the thread.

You can't stop us. You will join us too and you won't even know it.

Reminder that what Skerples did isn't violating the rules as the site owners intend for them to be interpreted, but announcing your reports is. That's why you caught a warning.

Oh, I am user

Beefboy always knows

Well at least people aren't complaining about the Thief class anymore.

Am I allowed to ask questions? Some user got mad for people asking questions last thread

We can start again if it'd make you feel better.

Thy throne shalt be usurped.

DELET THIS

I can appreciate Clerics mechanically, but they were still a mistake thematically.

Everyone's allowed to ask questions. Whether they are good questions or not or whether people answer them is another matter. What's up, user?

Not everyone plays gonzo sword-and-sorcery, friend.

^ FOE GYG

v FOE GYG

What's the best OSR game

Nah, seriously though

I want to know the serious differences between 1e and 2e, there seems to be a lot of contention between the editions in the thread, and people hate on or the other for some reason

What are the differences? What makes one better?

just go B/X style

>Not everyone plays gonzo sword-and-sorcery, friend.
Tolkein fantasy is so done that we're forced to play gonzo in OSR

Serious question: Besides LoTFP and its modules, what games / modules do gonzo / weird fantasy?

Or even books / tv shows? I'm in the mood for some weird ass fantasy

One of the things I like about SWN is that healing has been mostly decoupled from class. Healing is a character focus, meanwhile the Psychic class (the MU/Cleric equivalent) only has one branch which focuses on healing, and that branch's central technique is keeping a character from bleeding out, with health regen coming in later.

>What are the differences?
2e isn't OSR and has more shovelware setting crap.
>What makes one better?
Gary's DMG is much better than Cook's.
2e is easier to reference in play, but you shouldn't have books at the table so it really doesn't matter.

Spot on.

I've always wondered since reading SWN if you could apply that to fantasy OSR. The Cleric's first healing ability is stabilizing others, actual HP recovery comes later.

>2e is easier to reference in play, but you shouldn't have books at the table so it really doesn't matter.

?

Like I get the sentiment, you'd rather have the DM make a quick decision on what to do rather than flipping through the book looking for that one entry on fire damage, but it's still nice to have that reference, for say, spells

I can't give a complete list, but 2e relegated XP-for-GP to an optional rule, had a tonne of settings that weren't great for actual games, changed "demons" to "tanar'ri" and "devils" to "baatezu" (or vice versa?), and may or may not have had something to do with certain unpopular employees. The conflict is mostly the first.

People don't like 2e cause it got splatbook crazy and they took out some 'offensive' shit to appease suburban satan fearing moms. 2e has a better layout tho. Also all that lame Dragonlance shit.

DCC does gonzo/weird wonderfully and don't let any shitlord in this thread turn you off from it. Watch the movie 'Wizards' for some weird fantasy/post-apoc shit. Read anything in the Bas-Lag trilogy by China Mieville or The Jerusalem Man.

That's what I do in theory, but it's academic right now since the party doesn't actually have any healers at the moment.

>changed "demons" to "tanar'ri" and "devils" to "baatezu" (or vice versa?)
The only people really mad about this now are neckbeards in their 40s and 50s that can't let go of the one time Mom took away their books because her Bible study group told her they were the work of Satan.
Meanwhile their friend got away with playing Stormbringer because hey, it wasn't D&D.

There's a difference between non-tolkien and gonzo.

i
n
d
e
x

c
a
r
d
s

Spells are the WORST offender among book referencing.

The FOE meme isn't even funny, if we found a funny meme I'd be okay with constant spam

I'd take beefboy over this shit

Would you take beefboy to prom?

t. beefboy poster
foe gyg

I 100% agree (I usually just have a separate "grimoire" page for spells), but not everyone puts in that effort

Not everyone has what it takes to use magic.

I would marry beefboy

The Real Beef Boi

>Hisachi ouchie
Is that the japanese guy who got into some reactor incident or something, and they kept him alive for 3 days so they could preform experiments on him?

83 days my dude. HE received 17 SVs of radiation; 8 being considered fatal. Those doctors shoulda put him out of his misery on day 2.

unbelievable-facts.com/2016/12/hisashi-ouchi.html

Jesus H christ, talk about literal fucking torture

Imagine being in that condition for even a fucking hour concious. Human beings are evil dude

The moral of the story is that pipes are safer than buckets.

Japan has a pretty fucking insane history with being morally bankrupt when it comes to humans and medical experimentation. Just read about Unit 731.

It's not just Japan, it's the world. Hell, we still use the water survival tables the Nazis compiled from killing tons of concentration camp prisoners. Shit's fucked, yo.

youtu.be/5vq1GepI6oc

Where's skerples when you need him

Skerples is [1d10: 1-5 at work, 6-8 asleep, 9 on a bus, 10 roll twice] right now.

Rolled 9 (1d10)

I want to run Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcers of Hyperborea in a homebrew setting. I read the book and fell in love with basically everything about it.

I've never run anything older than Pathfinder before but by Crom I'll learn. I just need to worldbuild a proper setting of my own for it first.

Man, don't get burned out on worldbuilding for worldbuilding's sake. Hell, start with a dungeon first, let people tell you why they're at the entrance. Only build as much as you need immediately.

ONE OF US, ONE OF US

Take a look at any of the plentiful setting books for OSR, no shame in stealing bits and bobs from each

>I just need to worldbuild a proper setting of my own for it first.
No you don't. Scribble a map with 1 city and 1 dungeon, then answer jrients 20 questions.

As someone who built a world as hos first game

DO NOT START WITH WORLDBUILDING

Start with a interesting location or two, let the PC's explore and develop it from there

I just really love worldbuilding, but this is sound advice. What are the 20 questions?

I absolutely love mythras / runequest, is there a similar OSR system?

>jrients.blogspot.com/2011/04/twenty-quick-questions-for-your.html
They're 20 bits of prep with setting-wide implications that are guaranteed to come within a few sessions.

Also worth answering (though not as urgent),
>necropraxis.com/2012/02/24/20-quick-questions-rules/
Where you fall on 20 bits off controversial gameplay.
>monstermanualsewnfrompants.blogspot.com/2014/11/this-is-not-that-list-of-questions-for.html
20 eccentric questions on where you draw the line for common sorts of rulings.

>guaranteed to come within
guaranteed to come *up within

ASSH seems to me to be a bit of an iron agey sort of thing. Very rugged northland. Most of the monsters are weird variants on giant animals, I don't think the book even has a generic "Dragon" monster entry unless I read it wrong.

The existence of all the sub and side classes like the Warlocks and Shamans and shit makes me think magic is a lot more common, or at least its practitioners are a lot more diverse. You could probably do away with the game's in-game races, since they seem pretty pointless and don't apply any kind of bonuses despite some of them being 7ft tall amazonians and shit.

Personally; I would like to see some good anthro races out of you along with some good historical reasons for dungeons and dungeon crawling.

Fuck off

Gary made do with 1 city and 1 dungeon.

And a massive monster manual.

And a compendium of rules and magic system worked out from another literary series.

And a pantheon of Gods for Clerics, player shenanigans for names, and a massive implied setting lifted from tolkien, conan, and dying earth.

And 40+ years.

Literally, fuck off.

No need to get hostile, they're just giving advice.

That said I'm definitely thinking of using Dark Ages Europe for inspiration. Sometime around the early 700's, when the Moorish invasion of Europe was at its height and Charlemagne hadn't been crowned Holy Roman Emperor and stabilized things a great deal.

>And 40+ years.
In '72?

It's just a different flavour of bad.
I'd say that there was sudden spike in pointless questions over the last few days. Questions are great - it's what the board is for. But asking them for their own sake, rather than to get a good and useful answer, and then ignoring responses or details can lead to rapid threads full of non-content. It's a kind of spam - tire out posters by having the helpful ones respond over and over and over to the first question that pops into your head.

Plus, people who caught a warning or something come back pissed and motivated to shit up the thread.

That, at least, is something.
Speaking of, I found that radiation chart!
It's Valentine's day. That is all.
>. I just need to worldbuild a proper setting of my own for it first.
It's probaby best to just build the very core of the setting - the bits the PCs will see in the first few weeks - and add on as needed. Worldbuilding can be masturbatory and tedious. Nobody cares about the epic backstory of the Elf kingdom over the mountains until it becomes relevant... so don't waste your time on that.

>That said I'm definitely thinking of using Dark Ages Europe for inspiration. Sometime around the early 700's, when the Moorish invasion of Europe was at its height and Charlemagne hadn't been crowned Holy Roman Emperor and stabilized things a great deal.

Replace the moors with orcs and there you go. EZ mode.

>Or even books / tv shows? I'm in the mood for some weird ass fantasy

Adventure Time is probably the best representation of Gonzo ever on television.

True

Man, I was looking for a pic like that for the post you responded to.

>Sometime around the early 700's
Things to bear in mind:
-A lot of medieval traditions (monastaries, relics, cathedrals) had yet to take off fully. They existed, but not as universally as they would later
-literacy was probably at an all-time low
-forest cover was at an all-time high
-Iconoclasm in the East
-Pope are pretty much just leading roman noblemen and last about a decade

>hit a writing wall
>can't seem to get around it

What are you working on, /osrg/?

Encounter tables for my underground hexcrawl. It's slow going. So much to write. At this point, I'm pretty sure you could run a decent hexcrawl with just the random encounter tables.

Well, I just finished a list of 200 failed dwarvish careers to go along with my list of 200 failed medieval careers. Now I just need to add in the starting items for each of them. After that I'll move on to elves. At some point I also need to write up my lists of trade goods for dwarves and elves as well, preferably along with prices.

I'm also working on in the background rules for wands, staves, rods, and other magical foci.

And I just finished the other day a cleric class which I'll be testing out... eventually. Really, whenever the next character dies if the dice favour a cleric.

>DCC does gonzo/weird wonderfully

This is true, and it's an excellent recommendation for that user's needs.

>and don't let any shitlord in this thread turn you off from it.

But if you keep going around saying it's OSR, we're gonna keep calling you on your shit. Whining about "shitlords" isn't gonna change that.

>200 failed medieval careers
Actually medieval or just kind of old-timey?
But still, that's pretty impressive.

Depends on what you love about it. Could you be more specific?

Rather than trying to police what is and what isn't OSR, could you possibly accept that different people will have different definitions and criteria, and possibly not worry about it so much? If you replaced the no-true-OSR bickering with content creation, even if it's for systems you /personally/ don't think qualify, we'd all be better off.

I didn't make that one, just the dwarf one.
tenfootpolemic.blogspot.com/2014/01/200-failed-medieval-careers.html
I do need to alter the human one, though, because I'm not crazy about the amount of criminal careers and less clean careers on that list. But it'll do for now.

NAYRT, but... There's a pretty clear definition of OSR, it's not a debate any more than the word "apple" is. You can call a pear an apple, but that doesn't mean it is one, even though they're similar.

I had the same problem. Might want to borrow this then: coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-1d100-actually-medieval-professions.html

On the other hand, if that content is for DCC, nobody here can use it but DCC players.

"DCC is not OSR" has nothing to do with play style or "not muh" bullshit, it's about utility. DCC stuff is of no use to OSR DMs. That does not mean it's bad, or wrong, or "FOE GYG" or anything, it's just incompatible.
I'm fine with DCC folks hanging out here, but we all need to be clear about what's what -- Goodman Games does not sell DCC as an OSR system, because it's not. It is its own thing. And that's cool, too. Quit getting so butthurt about it, and I wouldn't have to keep hammering this.

Yeah, but in a thread about baking apple pies, would you rather:
1. have some pear pie recipes as well (knowing that they can easily be adapted to apples)?

2. have constant debates about the nature of apples, pears, and their relative merits, witch-hunts about pearposters?

>no use

Well, okay, make that "little use." I'm sure you could convert things with some effort.

>There are lots of good articles online that discuss guilds, apprenticeships, and status.
Mind linking some? (that aren't Rinconete y Cortadillo)

Can't you graft pear trees and apple trees together?

>constant debates about the nature of apples, pears, and their relative merits, witch-hunts about pearposters?

That's what you think this is? Jesus man, put some salve on that chapped ass.
This is about passing pear pies off as apple pies, and getting mad when people say "that's not a pear." There's really no debate to be had here. Nobody's on a "witch hunt" here, we're just trying to be clear on shit so you don't confuse newbies with your "DCC is OSR even though it's not labelled or sold as such and you kinda hafta use official DCC modules instead of OSR stuff but don't label me shitlord" nonsense.

happens every 2-3 months. You should have seen it in august. Veeky Forums is basic bitches about bait.

Let's put it this way. Imagine on Veeky Forums there is such a thread about apples, we'll call it /ag/ Apples General. If someone posts a picture of a pear and asks, "what should I do with this apple I found?" the correct response should be, "that's a pear, not an apple, but you can do X or Y with it." Likewise if someone posts a recipe for pear pie, they shouldn't then call it "apple pie". If they did, you'd correct them. Likewise if someone asks for apple recipes, you shouldn't give them pear recipes without at least specifying that you're giving them pear recipes.

Seems so.

Finishing up multiple month-old side projects.

Working on art (every fucking day)

Being jealous of the DEEPEST LORE that Tolkien made for Lord of the Rings, and how anything us amateurs make can't even come close.

Working on a new super-secret project for OSRG that will be better then anything else you've ever seen.

But pears and apples are still fruits, and thus common techniques apply to both. The DCC hate brigade would have you believe DCC is horsemeat.

>Working on a new super-secret project for OSRG that will be better then anything else you've ever seen.
Is it yet another magic system?

Obligatory shill post because I really do need players

>GM or Player
GM!
>Preferred System
We're going to be running D&D B/X! Cyclopedia specifically.
>Method of Play
Discord plus roll20! Voice
>Contact Information
soniciscool3#5964
This contact is in fact very very real. It seems retarded because it very well is!
>Times Available
Thursday. 8pm EST.
>Notes
Need 1-2 more players