Warcraft Lore and RPG Discussion

Undermine edition.

Discuss the lore and story of the Warcraft franchise and its application in and around traditional games.

>Document compendium: Contains official (ex-canon) DnD 3.x variants and a fan made DnD 5e version! Also contains the official Warcraft Chronicles volumes 1 and 2. Also Liadrin is best girl.
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B52pEESRLwfBM3V0Sm5NTlBITlk

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

wow.gamepedia.com/Novel_guide
readcomicbooksonline.org/world-of-warcraft-chronicle
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

LETS TALK ABOUT DWARVES!

Fuck off back to /v/

Poor Wildhammers. Nobody cares about you. Everybody's already a gryphon rider anyway.

>ironforge dwarves get mages because dark irons teach them
>we get proper dark irons later anyway
So what was the point of that stupidity?

I left WoW at the beginning of Cataclysm, after playing since release, tired of what it had become. I might dip back in, but treating it as single player.

Is there anywhere that I can read on the lore changes since Cata in an orderly fashion? Like, how Jaina goes from being normal to having white hair, step by step?

Cheers anons

Goblin girls make my dick hard.

And where are the Frostborn?
I get dwarves getting mages, which was always planned, but warlocks?

Start with wow.gamepedia.com/Novel_guide
You can dip into readcomicbooksonline.org/world-of-warcraft-chronicle
And in general wow.gamepedia have well done and sourced biographies for characters.
That being said, if you'll be back in game, new level scaling allows you to fully enjoy content like Pandaria without getting too over leveled for some zones before finishing all of it.

Why not. One of buried in Tomb of the Seven in Darkforge city is a lock. In fact, he's the final encounter of them all, and has two voidwalkers.

I mean, I get why Dark Irons get Warlocks, but now that Dark Irons are getting added, regular Dwarf having warlocks seems weird.
Though not as weird as them apparently getting paladins, which Blizzard apparently mentioned.
>Dark Iron Dwarves gets Paladins
>Zandalari Trolls are not
>Implying Wildhammer and Frost won't be getting added alongside Amani and Drakkari

I guess adding further dwarf races wasn't planned in Cata

I think the baseline Dwarf classes should be: Warrior, Hunter, Monk, Rogue. Priest
While IF Dwarves would get also Paladins because of their close relationship with Stormwind. When uniting themselves with the rest of the clans Dark Irons would teach them how to be Mages and Wildhammers how to be shamans
DID would have Mages and Warlocks because that's their whole thing and Paladins because they learned from IF dwarves
Wildhammer would have Shamans and Druids because of their conection to nature, and Monks/Mages from their alliance with IF dwarves

Thanks user, that should prove useful.

>Yes well done heroes, well done. HOWEVER...

BFA ends with Sylvanas revealed as having been mind controlled by Kel'thuzad since WOTLK when she an hero'd herself. What's your reaction?

I for one welcome our new Lich overlord.

Set Blizzard HQ on fire

kill yourself

>regular Dwarf having warlocks seems weird.
Seems like an interesting character development opportunity to me.
>Though not as weird as them apparently getting paladins, which Blizzard apparently mentioned.
They have units like Anvilrage officer using pala abilities. Personally, I'd love a different take on the class so I can incinerate greenskins with my faith and dark iron.. er.. azerite battleaxe.

Literally anything that removes Sylvanas from the plot completely at this point would be fucking welcome by me. She could be a shrunken gnome in a mech suit at this point for all i care.

I don't even dislike her all that much. It's just that Blizzard keeps using her as excuse to push the stupidest fucking decisionsand plot points. And yes I am still pissed off my boy Vol'jin got all this buildup just to be got by demon fodder because she hadn't been on screen long enough to get the writer hard in like 20 minutes.

Sylvanas will never be completely removed, but Vol'jin is coming back

I'm just getting tired of the clear author bias she has. They bend over backwards to include her in the story and make her a key figure. Vol'jin picking her as warchief is a fucking joke - even with the spirits' "guidance", no one on the Horde would just sit there and let it happen. She has no real allies in the Horde, they only tolerate her because she's a foothold for them in the Eastern Kingdoms. She's openly for her own people at the expense of the rest of the Horde and makes no effort to hide it. She's used weapons and tactics that the rest of the Horde deems wrong, but Vol'jin said she could be the leader in a state of delirium, so she's in charge now.

>Hey Vol'jin, what do the spirits around Sylvanas say?
>Oh they are mostly screaming that they never wanted eternal pain and just want to rest now that they are dead.
>Clearly warchief material!

"The spirits say Sylvanas" is literally just
>Hey we need to put her in the spotlight more, let's make her war chief.
>How?
>I don't know, spirits or some shit.
I dont think there's anyone who hasn't called blizzard out on this one so I have at least a little faith they can fix it. So maybe there is some credit to the "the spirits were fucking with him" theory. Now that we know a literal death god is buddy buddy with Vol'jin, maybe they'll change it to Bwonsamdi just trying to drum up enough conflict to have all the tasty souls he can eat.

Dark Iron skins were selectable in the Cats beta. Something I was infuriated about when they were removed, since I like me some more dwarves. I'm okay with them getting a cool overhaul as an allied races, though.

Can't wait to RP my Dark Iron as a dwarf supremacist, telling all the humans and elves that the Alliance needs them more than the other way around, now that all the dwarves clans are United again, WE'RE UNSTOPPABLE.

Good thing the Horde are getting some awesome trolls, or they'd be right screwed.

I'm just glad that Baine is finally getting his man badge with his new development/model AND a moose girl to slobber all over his dick.

Behold, the objectively most accurate theoretical cosmology diagram for the Warcraft setting.

What's the difference between vodoo and voodoo?

Ah, I see you be mojo masta as well.

One is a voodoo that you should stay away from, and the other is big bad voodoo.
You shouldn't approach either unless you have some massive mojo. Otherwise bad juju will happen.

Post favorite sets.

This is literally the only funny version of this dumb joke.

So are there any sentient races we don't know the origin of? I mean, all the beast races come from the various Ancients, orcs/humans/dwarves/gnomes descend from Titan creations, and trolls/elves were indirectly created by Azeroth herself.

As for the eredar, wasn't it implied that they evolved/developed from a talbuk-like race, either naturally or by prodding from a naaru?

It didn't even need to be a stupid spirits thing. They're fighting a war and Sylvanas is a general. No other rationale was required really.

I always really liked the druid set from Throne of Thunder. The usual animal stuff is way over done and I'm glad they resisted the urge to just slap dinosaur parts everywhere

Plus don't forget that Sylvanas has been a racial leader in the Horde for the longest out of any of the other leaders.

That's not to say 'IT WAS HER TURN' or anything, but seniority, especially during times of war, would naturally have the position fall to her.

The ToV sets were surprisingly good.

This is a very cute goblin.

It's also probably the first plate set that even partially covers feet of Trolls.
t. Troll DK

It's also the first plate set with a modeled chest piece too IIRC.

I know that Sylvanas gets you all hard, but can we discuss anything else for a change? Anything at all? pretty please?

Observers. That one beholder expy. They're not actually demons, we have no idea where they came from and what's their purpose. We also have no idea if Durumu and that one guy in VotW are also Observers or something else

Constellars are also a big mystery. While they are allies of Titans, they weren't created by them. Seems that every planet has a couple of them, and it is possible that Harbaron is also a one but corrupted by who the fuck knows what

for me it's Thisalee Crow, the only interesting elf

Naaru prodding is definite with Eredar, as Ata'mal Crystal was given to them likely for that purpose.

As for sentient races native to Azeroth we have:
>Pygmies (might be related to Goblins; might even be the race Mimiron tested effects of kaja'mite on)
>Magnataur
>Ettin
>Drogbar (most likely Trolls changed by Neltharion using Hammer of Khaz'goroth/the Earth-warder's own power)
>Trolls (unless they, like proto-dragons, were initially elementals that gained flesh over time after avoiding being put inside Elemental Planes)
>Drust (though it's more than likely they were also humans, that simply ended up on Kul Tiras instead of future Arathi lands)
Any animalistic humanoids (regardless of size) on Azeroth are likely from one of many Wild Gods.

Posting an immortal classic. This is how a warlock should look like.

That is quite likely, tabard goes under it instead of over it.

Cool, let's talk about Thisalee Crow. What do you like about her?

Pygmies is what you get when monkeys sniff kaja'mite long enough. Magnataur are almost certainly children of Mam'toth. Ettins are probably related to titanforged giants. Drogbar look like bodybuilder goblins.

Now on top of Observers, Beholders like Durumu and Glazer, we have Darkglares too now.

>Drogbar look like bodybuilder goblins.
Except a quest refers to them as a rock troll, they took over the role of Neltharion's slaves in place of grey-skinned Trolls from both WotA trilogy and Warcraft Adventures, and they use brul as much as a troll uses mon.
On the other hand, they have nothing in common with goblins. And what people tends to point out to be similar with goblins, happens to be also similar to dire trolls.

Meanwhile at Karazhan: Med'an being retconned out of existence:
>Archmage Khadgar says: The demons have been purged from Karazhan! Thank you, champions. Medivh, you would be a welcome ally in our war against the Legion.
>Medivh says: My path leads... elsewhere. Besides, Azeroth has found her Guardian in you, Young Trust.
>Archmage Khadgar says: I have made it clear before... I do not want such power!
>Medivh says: You have all the power you will ever need, Khadgar. It is your heart, your courage, that makes you this world's Guardian. And a better one than I ever was.
>Archmage Khadgar says: I... I don't know what to say, Medivh.
>Medivh says: Enough sentiment! Hear these words before I depart.
>Medivh says: It may be simpler to shut a door than to pass through it. But sometimes a step into the unknown is required to break the bonds of fate.
>Medivh says: There is much that lies ahead for all of us. Farewell.
>Archmage Khadgar says: The bonds of fate... I must consider those words. Until next time, champions.

I like that she's the only night elf to really get any characterization post-Frozen Throne other than Fandral. People always talk shit about her "acting like a human" but it's because they only focus on the superficial aspects of her character (which are a product of her youth, not her race) and ignore that she's the only druid with any backstory that's not either Malfurion 2 or corruption fodder

I see nothing wrong with this

Oh, it's more than good news, it's great news, given how awful the very idea of Med'an was.
Dadgar getting Atiesh is also pretty good.

Then it's rather the fault of the Night Elves for being so boring that she stands out than her achievement for being so interesting.

Why do people feel the need to punch around the dead and decayed horse that is Med'an?

I would gladly forgot his existence if some faggot would mention him couple of threads back.
That being said, I wonder how Khadgar acquired completed Ashbringer and when did he met Meryl.

>faction war is idiotic
>but I'm not going to use my flying magic city to glass anyone who stirs shit up, oh no
>instead I'm gonna sit on my mountain of apexis crystals and watch my friends slaughter each other for petty reasons
Some Guardian he is

Between Khadgar becoming the Guardian, the movie's implication that Garona is Medivh's daughter, the necessity of a whole new, unique model, and everybody hating him, I don't think we really have to worry about Med'an showing up anytime soon.

Other than the fingercount

>5 fingers: Drogbar and Goblin
>Tusks: Drogbar and Troll
>Pointy Ears: all 3
>Speaking tic: brul and mon
>Being referred by name of the other race: Rock Troll
Also, Night Elves used to have 3 fingers back when they were Dark Trolls until arcane powers of a titan mutated them. Both Neltharion and Hammer of Khaz'goroth have powers coming from Khaz'goroth.

>Micky Neilson wanted to bring Med'an back some day (but not anytime soon) and make him awesome
>He no longer works at Blizzard
>Alex Afrasiabi stated during BlizzCon 2016 that Med'an is still canon, but his status as a Guardian is not
>Certain fiction exists outside the World of Warcraft that we love, but is it necessarily what we would consider canon? So Med'an as Guardian, isn't considered canon in Warcraft lore, which is why in the last five years you haven't seen a reference to him. Um, so, that doesn't mean that there can't be a story for Med'an, it's just not like it was laid out in the comics.
>Afrasiabi later clarified that the character himself and the comic series are still canon, but him being Guardian isn't.
Also, disregard the movie too, Garona is a daughter of a sister of Maraad, and there's no reason to change that one because of a shitty movie that made Lothar young for no fucking reason.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I really hope they give this set a more modern update in the future. It's already a 10/10, especially the helm and shoulders, but with some updates to the rest of the set like better modeling on the gloves, belt and boots and it'd be incredible.

Looks nice, I like the "dark forest" theme.

Reminds me of the warrior Skyhold rep set.

Yeah, this one's cool. Is it just me or they really nailed lots of designs from tier 2? I wonder why. Maybe because BWL was an important milestone in some sense.

>tfw your DK is 85 but you keep using this set and the starter blade
The closest replacement I found was from Hellfire Citadel.

Itt: sylvanas haters can't appreciate classic tropes. Blizzard is trope city and people love it. We love the cliche stories of heroism and betrayal, rising to the occasion and falling from grace, and most of all....redemption. just sit back and enjoy the ride folks

Say what you will about the movie, but I like the idea of Medivh being Garona's father.

>you keep using this set and the starter blade

That or the Acherus Knight set.

It really is great. I always like to roll with sets that make sense as "uniforms" for Death Knights, but most of that is from Wrath and so it looks crappy, now.

There are a lot of Wrath sets could really use updates, like the Burning Crusade sets that were updated. Several of the ICC, Ulduar, and Trial sets are among the best-designed sets in the game. Ymirjar and Scourgelord are eternal 10/10s. as are both factions' leather sets for Trial.

to the left is current, right (except gloves) is when I hit 110

>The closest replacement I found was from Hellfire Citadel.
well no shit. It actually looks like a usable if edgy sword.
I use the fel iron greatsword as an alternate skill because it looks like a runeblade as well.

I don't know why, but the simple shamanistic elegance of the class hall set always gets me.

I...liked the movie. It wasn't perfect or anything but it was enjoyable enough for one watch.

Khadgar is not the guardian, not in the literal sense. He didn't become anything. Just through his efforts in trying to save the world did Medivh decree him to be a guardian of the world. the capital G Guardian is what Me'dan became, and only briefly to stop Cho'gall, which he then gave up at the end of the comic. There's literally no retcons here at play, and the Warcraft movie is an alternate universe.

I enjoyed it for the most part. Mostly, they dropped the ball with the orcs.

>One watch
>Not getting the movie for screenshot purpose
I mean, the designs and the landscapes were great

It was a pretty bad adaptation all things considered, but the CGI was top-notch and they threw enough references to the games in to make it bearable. Any scene with live-action in it was terrible though, especially when they had to interact with the CGI. Seeing the human footmen running around in clearly plastic armor swinging wildly at beautiful CGI Orcs was just bad. The one thing they nailed though was Gul'dan. Guy was absolutely evil as fuck, as he should be.

>using the word "evil" in the context of fantasy
Here we go again with the absolute moralists from current decade...

I loved the movie, it was awesome to see one of my favourite settings come to life. I'm not even an alliance fag but I was cheering during that war room scene, screaming at the tv like "YES, BLOCK THEM IN THE REDRIDGE MOUTAIN PASS, THEIR NUMBERS WILL COUNT FOR NOTHING". And the last battle with all the humans charging in, completely outnumbered, with their hand guns oh man. The battle scenes were captured perfectly, orcs overpowering everyone (as they should) but the more skilled humans still able to beat them with finess and gun powder. Even the opening scene with the 1 on 1 got me hype as fuck. Can't wait for the next movies

I mean...he is textbook evil. Using the souls of draenei women and children to power the dark portal, syphoning the souls of innocent humans in captured territory (and doing god knows what else off screen)

>Can't wait for the next movies
I'm sorry user

honestly the concept of young and rebelous night elf would work great IF THERE WERE ANY INTERESTING NORMAL NIGHT ELF CHARACTERS

The movie is fine if you know the plot already. People who didn't know it were confused as all hell, and I don't blame them

I have the opposite opinion. They did justice to the orcs, but the humans were bland and uninteresting, retcons aside.

Making a movie about the 1st war was stupid as shit and making an entire expansion just to hype this movie up was even more stupid

My ideal Warcraft movie would be essentially Warcraft 3, and if it worked TFT could be done in another 2 movies
I know that Arthas is just medieval version of Anakin but I feel his story would still work the best.

And then you could do first two wars in form of prequel movies

not really, people are hinting at the second movie following the story of Lord of the Clans (for some bizzare reason)

I mean, I detest absolute moralists, but Gul'dan is a cartoon villain with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. He's so ridiculously evil to make Orgrim look less like a villain and more like an edgy antihero by comparison. Taken by himself, he's a very boring character.

Hey Veeky Forums what's your favourite flavor of Noble Human Paladin?

Stormwind Alliance Military
>Politics: "Lux Vult slay the Horde now!"
>Battlecry: "Justice demands retribution!"
>Spiritual Liege: Varian Wrynn
>Reaction to Light's Hope: "The Ebon Blade are just as bad as Arthas!"
>Waifu: None
>Favorite Anime: Dragon Ball Super

Lordaeron Argent Dawn
>Politics: "People who support only one faction are fucking losers."
>Battlecry: "For Chapter and Emp- the Light!"
>Spiritual Liege: Tirion Fordring
>Reaction to Light's Hope: "No, Death Knight-sama, domo yamate!"
>Waifu: Lady Liadrin
>Favorite Anime: Boruto

Kul Tiras Crusader Seals
>Politics: *Noble house intrigue intensifies*
>Battlecry: "Nay, not a paladin, I be a privateer!"
>Spiritual Liege: Daelin Proudmoore
>Reaction to Light's Hope: Doesn't give a crap.
>Waifu: Jaina Proudmoore
>Favorite Anime: One Piece

Knights of the Ebon Blade
>Politics: "Without monsters there can be no heroes."
>Battlecry: "We do what the living cannot!"
>Spiritual Liege: Tirion Fordring
>Reaction to Light's Hope: "We had a warrant."
>Waifu: Sally Whitemane
>Favorite Anime: Death Note

Army of the Light Exarchs
>Politics: "Kronokai kristol!"
>Battlecry: "Light-mother bless my blade!
>Spiritual Liege: Turalyon
>Reaction to Light's Hope: "The Death Knights wouldn't have gotten that far if the Silver Hand had a Naaru."
>Waifu: Captain Fareeya
>Favorite Anime: JoJo Bizarre Adventure

Stromgarde League of Arathor
>Politics: "Make the Alliance and the Horde Great and Honorable Again!"
>Battlecry: "Glory to the first man that dies!"
>Spiritual Liege: Danath Trollbane
>Reaction to Light's Hope: "I see you've been training, Sir xxXLeetkillerXxx! Come, show me your honor!"
>Waifu: Vanessa VanCleef
>Favorite Anime: Star vs the Forces of Evil

I am an alliance player, but I want Baine to be warchief so much. Not only are the Tauren the best horde race, they aren't assholes like everyone else in the horde.
>They didnt imprison and corrupt a naaru or create a magic well and get addicted to it.
>They have tried enslaving the world on multiple occasions because of superiority issues about reclaiming fallen kingdoms.
>They didnt come from another world to rape its resources under the command of demons they willingly submitted to.
>They haven't released plagues or commit warcrimes to add to their population.

Tauren are the only faction in horde who havent gone out of their way to fuck things up. Not to mention Baine and Anduin would make an awesome team to unite the horde and the alliance to fight the void lords, and Anduin did give Baine a magical dwarven hammer.

Making Sylvanis warchief was by far the worst fucking storyline blizzard has pushed since pandaria.

That said, I am really fucking happy that lightforged draenei are in the game. I absolutely love the draenei and their lore, and getting the superior lightforge is a godsend to keep me interested in this game. Going to race-change my draenei that I have had for over a decade into a lightforged as soon as I unlock the heritage armor.

There will be 2 more at least. My uncle built the sets for the first one, and then the project got moved to China.

>I am an alliance player, but I want Baine to be warchief so much
No surprise here. Alliance players want Anduin's pet cow as the Warchief. Hopefully you never get your wish.

>Ebon Blade Spiritual Liege isn't Arthas
Even before he went full Lich King he embodied everything the Ebon Blade would stand for as Paladins.
To quote Nixxiom
>"Arthas is forced to make a decision: Either kill all of the innocent people (Of Stratholme) before they turn into evil undead and kill innocent people and spread the plague."
>"Or...umm...well there really wasn't any other option so Arthas did nothing wrong."

I like the draeneiboo exarchs. 7 foot tall xenogoats are the best waifus.

>They have tried enslaving the world on multiple occasions because of superiority issues about reclaiming fallen kingdoms.
Who did this? Trolls have only ever tried kicking people off their land, because people keep trying to steal it.

Warcraft 2: The Journey to Pandaria.

Night Elves

>Alliance players want quality for everyone
>Horde players want to live in shit as a sign of defiance
This is why the story will always treat you as absent at best and villains at worst.

I'd watch anything with the same level of visuals as the first movie

I want Vol'jin back God dammit

Kul Tiras Crusader Seals; too bad it isn't a thing. Lordaeron Argent Dawn as the second choice because they're the closest to proper paladins.

I'm sorry, but I consider the Alliance shit, not the Horde.

This, or just give us fucking Thrall back.

trolls claim the entire planet as their kingdom. after their empire falls apart and fractures, they spend the rest of their existence trying to reconquer the planet over and over again. How many troll dungeons and raids do we have again? too fucking many.

Either would work. Both are chill enough that they wouldn't start any beef with the alliance