In rpgs you learn from success

>in rpgs you learn from success
>in real life you learn from failures

how do we fix rpgs?

Other urls found in this thread:

lifehack.org/articles/productivity/15-highly-successful-people-who-failed-their-way-success.html
budbilanich.com/50-famous-people-who-failed-at-their-first-attempt-at-career-success/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>keep track of number of failed rolls and/or total margin of failure
>at the end of the session, that is your XP gain for the day
Easy.

This. It's how they do it in PbtA games, works for most systems if you tweak the xp values.

>in real life you learn from failures
That's what losers tell themselves to feel better.

Winners fail more than losers even make attempts

I can't remember if Burning Wheel does this, but its children Mouse Guard and Torchbearer definitely do. So do most PbtA games. A lot of games also give you character progression based on how much happened rather than how successful the characters were.

>I can't remember if Burning Wheel does this
Burning Wheel requires you to make a mix of routine, difficult, and challenging tests to advance, these count whether they're successful or not however challenging test are basically impossible so you do basically have to fail in order to progress

Have you tried not playing D&D?

Every time you get a critical, you get a token.
Critical failures, because you learn from them. Critical successes, because you had an epiphany or something.
At the end of the game, you get to roll to improve skill for each of those.
The trick is that to improve, you must roll higher than your skill, so the better you are, the harder it gets.

That's what I remember from Stormbringer and that system's idea really stayed with me. I think it's great.

Losers are the people who fuck up and either don't learn from it or give up before they can get good.

I'm guessing you don't have any particular hobbies or interests outside of videogames, because if you actually devoted time to something like playing an instrument, you'd know that everyone sucks starting out and gets better by actually going out, sucking, and learning to suck less.

DonĀ“t cheat OP, you should fail by yourself.

>>in rpgs you learn from success
>>in real life you learn from failures

You're confusing what the PC "learns" and what the player learns, sperg. The player learns from their mistakes at the table top. Those lessons are then "passed on" to the PC via the decisions the players makes.

What you're proposing is that there be a mechanism which allows the PC to "learn" by rewarding XP, skills, and other buff so that the player DOES NOT NEED TO LEARN.

Like all millennial spergs, you want someone or something else to do the work for you; i.e. "I'm too stupid and lazy to make any effort, so make the system do it for me."

The way PnP systems are set up don't allow for it. Ideally experience with different things would be categorized into what you know and what you are capable of, which is controlled by failures, and how likely you are to succeed at what you know, which is controlled by how often you've succeeded.

A master swordsman won't learn new techniques by using the same attack for ten years, but he'll be REALLY good at that one attack. Conversely, someone who learned every single technique they could, but never really put much practice into them, would probably be bad at all of them. But in the eyes of PnP stats, there's no difference between them, it comes purely down to roleplaying.

>Like all millennial spergs
Calm down grandpa, you're in your mid thirties now and your heart isn't what it used to be.

People like mechanical support for things. If I want to play some character who can throw weapons better than normal, I'd prefer there to at least be a home brewed feat than just have the DM say "Uh, use this damage die instead", then change it later.

>implying that's a fix

The dead learn nothing, user.

>In RPGs, the more battles you survive, the tougher and more powerful you become.
>In real life, being repeatedly injured permanently debilitates you.

How do we fix RPGs?

>implying he'd be in an environment that actually rewards effort unless it's perfect the first time
>implying anyone who was ever bad at anything ever gets to live it down in the age of cringe compilations and riff videos

It's a different world, user. Nobody gets to fail forward anymore. You fail even once, at anything, and it's on you for the rest of your life.

Getting good at something is the reward. Delayed Gratification is far more important that getting everything right on your first try.

Dude, I grew up in a small town. If you did something stupid, everyone knew. and would bring it up. Honestly who gives a shit, if I did something embarrassing at age 15 and it went into one of the fail compilations I watched growing up, I'd be embarrassed, but now as an adult I realize that the cringy shit I did was from someone who might as well have been another person, and that if I didn't do it then, I would've had to do it and learn from it later.

Success only confirms what you already know.
Failure happens when the unexpected occurs, but now you know how to better prepare yourself (unless you always knew it was coming and there is no way to prepare yourself because you were fucked from the beginning).

Play dark heresy

Call of Cthulhu system does this:

Every time you fail a skill roll in a session, you tick that skill. At the end of the session, you do a standard skill-check roll for each ticked skill. If the roll fails, that skill increases.

I don't know whether that system and is in BRP as well.

Who do you think is the real loser?

The guy who tried, failed, learned from his mistakes, and improved his technique or the guy who tried, failed, gave up, and complain about how bullshit the situation was and how he'd be the best ever if it wasn't for [insert shitty excuse here]?

Well, depends on if the latter guy is actually right. It could be Don Quitoxe charging at that windmill again in the former case if 'Try again' is a doomed task in the first place.

>You fail even once, at anything, and it's on you for the rest of your life.
Mike Tyson went from a rage monster catching multiple assault and rape allegations to a guy who now has multiple movie appearances and voices himself in a scooby doo parody on adult swim.

The only time a mistake stays with you is if you never learn to accept it and learn from it so that it doesn't happen again.

You only learn what not to do from failure, and you learn little from success if you don't have the wits to recognize what you did right.

Don Quixote was suffering from delusions of grandeur user, his mistake was attempting to be a knight in the first place.

In Chronicles of Darkness you can make failures into Dramatic Failures to gain Beats, which build up into EXP. You still fail as a character/player and learn from it via Beats/EXP. Is that what you're looking for?

Congratulations! You have managed to misunderstand what is possibly one of the simplest experience systems to date.

Not even that user, but fucking christ, address it without adding extra conditions. Assume the best of the argument you goddamn sperg. Losers are not people who have failed before, they are people who do not learn from failure and seek improvement. Like you in this thread.

Yes but 'This is not possible' is a valid lesson.

fpbp.

Transplant it for whatever XP or character point system you have and call it good.

In shadowrun this is represented when you still get a fraction of the regular karma award even if you don't succeed a mission. Failing a mission is still terrible (and you likely won't get paid for it), but it contributes a little bit to advancement regardless.

It has nothing to do with the premise, it's just you moving the goalposts to make your argument seem stronger than it actually is.

>That's what losers tell themselves to feel better.
That's what losers tell themselves to rationalize wallowing in self-pity instead of pushing forward

lifehack.org/articles/productivity/15-highly-successful-people-who-failed-their-way-success.html

>start at level 20
>count all XP as negative
>when you hit level 0, you become too debilitated and/or decrepit to adventure anymore
Easy.

>There are so few people that turn failure into success that the list had to include a guy who was a failure throughout his entire life, only becoming famous after death
Great proof

SRPG's with ironman difficulties already do this.

budbilanich.com/50-famous-people-who-failed-at-their-first-attempt-at-career-success/

Sorry, I can't hear you over the deafening roar of success from countless people who managed to move past initial failures and setbacks.

Newton is on that list. His failure is listed as being unable to care for the family farm so they sent him to Cambridge to get rid of him. His own diary states that he intentionally mismanaged the farm to get them to send him there. Seems like a success to me and I'm sure that most of the others on the list are similar. Not that 50 people matters compared to the billions of people who do nothing but fall at life for their entire life and do not learn success from it at all, such as that one guy from your previous list.

This is probably the dumbest, and most misleading list I've ever seen in my life. And I'm used to seeing really shitty lists.

First of all, half of these are people who did not succeed with all their endeavors at first. The guy who wrote it either did not know, or intentionally ignored the idea of fucking calculated risk being a NORMAL PART OF BUSINESS.
Second half of the list are people who were simply misjudged by others. People thinking that Darwin is too aloof does not mean that he failed and then learned from his mistake: it means that he was an odd kid. Then it lists Socrates, as somebody who learned from his mistakes, because he was KILLED IN A POLITICAL TRIAL FOR FUCK SAKE.
Jesus this list is an actual offense to common sense.
If you want to really see people learning from mistakes, go watch some Fuck-up Night instead.

Also, as per OP's question:
The reason why in RPG's people are usually rewarded for success and not for failure is to motivate people to try and succeed, rather than actually rewarding intentional fuck-ups.

Did you just watch that Varg video

Play FATE.

It's like you've never even heard of shooting yourself with low calibre bullets to develop an immunity to large ones.

In reality, it's a mix of success and failure that is educational. Of course it's easier to learn from success, because all you need to do to succeed again is do the same thing again. Learning from failure is more about learning that failing is a possibility and that you can continue forward even after failure.

No, you learn from experience, failure is just one of the possible results.

Hunter: The Vigil has a system called practical xp, I believe. You get xp for successes as well as failures.

Both of them. The winner is the guy who got it right the first time.

I would try this, but my group is adamant that they never play anything other than dnd.

Pretty sure Dungeon World also works like this.

I know it's not Veeky Forums, but the universally-regarded worst Final Fantasy did this. I personally didn't think it was that bad, though, it was like a funny bad movie.