You're a dwarf King with an army. You just helped an allied human kingdom

>You're a dwarf King with an army. You just helped an allied human kingdom.
>So you are far from home when your kingdom is under attack by orcs.
>There are two possible ways back.
>The first and shortest way (2 Weeks) would be through the steppes, inhabited by hostile nomadic elves.
>The second way would be much (2 Months) longer, but safer.

Which way do you choose?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Antioch
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_of_Constantinople
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That depends a lot on how serious the attack is, the state of defenses I left behind, how long they're likely to last without help, and what measures besides marching my army home I can take to aid the defense.

No tree shagger is going to stop me from protecting my home!

Short path. I'd slaughter and bang as many qt elf bois as I need to. A king does not hesitate to defend his kingdom

I'm with this user on the questions, but I do have a question of my own. Is the human kingdom that much in ruin they cannot help us when we helped them?

Shortest way.
I may hate the bloody knife-ears as much as they hate me, but neither of us is going to allow anyone else take us out. Plus everyone despises Porkies so they'll be happy to join in a green blood bath.

Pretty big invasion. The defense consists mainly of militias and retired soldiers. Most of the professional soldiers are with you.

They could help, but not so much.

Shortest way, I'll probably send an emissary ahead with a few gifts to the elves to let them know we're just passing through and don't have any hostile intentions. I'll ask the humans to send a similar emissary as well, just for a bit more credibility.

a stronghold should be able to hold out longer than that, and i can't imagine going to war if it meant leaving my own stronghold defenseless.

take the slow way. no point in risky heavy losses to fucking Mongolian elves

>Which way do you choose?

Two weeks or two months, it doesn't matter. It's a big invasion, you've got all the professionals with you, and there's nothing but militia and retirees on hand for defense. Any organized fighting is going to be over in two or three days which will give the orcs a week to loot, plunder, rape, murder, and burn. Getting there in 2 weeks won't change a fucking thing. The only orcs you'll catch will be the ones too stupid or drunk to leave with the rest.

You as the king made a retard level decision and I'm surprised your nobles and other advisors agreed with it. You'll go down in history as Forkbead the Fuckwit, be held up as an example of what NOT to do, and, if they bother to bury you, your tomb will be used as a urinal.

>What are forts
>What are castles
>What are any kind of defensive structures
Sieges can last years, user, unless you truly have not a single competent person in charge of anything you'll lose one or two holdings at worst in those two weeks time. Also an invasion implies they intend to stay, not to just fuck things up, kill everything and leave again, you'll be able to take back what they take.

>Sieges can last years, user

Not if you don't have the bodies needed to man all the walls, King Forkbeard the Fuckwit, and not if the besiegers don't care about casualties that much - just like orcs, right? Even if everyone withdraws to the citadel or three they can defend and waits while the orcs run around outside for a week or more, what is going to happen the rest of the kingdom outside those walls, King of the Retards?

You're also conveniently forgetting about magic because, you know, you're a retard. Because the orcs have greater numbers and because the kingdom's "battle mages" are two weeks away with you, the orcs will have more and better magic to use than the militia, retirees, and peasants they'll be facing. Tell us, Your Retarded Majesty, how long will your forts or castles going to hold out when their drinking water cisterns and wells are smashed or poisoned via magical means?

>>.Also an invasion implies they intend to stay

No it doesn't. It just means they're invading for any one of several reasons. A chevauchee for loot and rapine is an invasion too, oh Profoundly Retarded One, as is an attack purposely designed to weaken a region for later occupation.

When you arrive back home after two weeks or two months to find what's left of your people stumbling around in the landscape of burned towns, spoiled fields, looted castles, and rotting bodies, you'll be lucky if there's enough left of you to bury.

A few more invasions like the one Your Regal Retardedness helped the orcs pull off and there won't be enough left of the kingdom to defend itself when the orc occupation forces arrive with all their wives and kiddies.

All of this is Norsemen 101, King Fuckwit, and your decisions just handed them your kingdom on a platter.

>Militia's, retired soldiers, armed peasants and mercenaries can't defend a wall against a larger force for two weeks.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Antioch
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_of_Constantinople
The real question is why I'd have a retard like you giving me advice.

>Orcs being smart enough to use the little magic they have effectively
Remove this man from the court please.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Antioch
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_of_Constantinople

If you think Antioch and Constantinople are ANYTHING like the situation you presented, you're stupider than Forkbeard the Fuckwit.

>>Remove this man from the court please.

That's you're reasoning? Herp herp orcs can't use magic?

Your kingdom deserves to die because they tolerated you as their king.

>If you think Antioch and Constantinople are ANYTHING like the situation you presented
>Cities besieged by massive invader forces
>Any help they might get is weeks if not months away because they're fighting wars elsewhere
>Defended only by local militia, it's people and mercenaries (in Constantinople's case)
>Antioch still held out for over a year, Constantinople for over 50 days
Seeing as I'm supposed to be the king of Dwarves I imagine my strongholds are even better defended than these, seeing as Dwarves are known for their strongholds.
Now please stop talking before you embarass yourself any further by your clear lack of knowledge. Also point me to where OP stated Orcs have access to magic.

No real dwarven capital worth its salt would fall in a matter of few weeks.
Then again i take the shortest route, asking the human kingdom to honor its debt by giving us all the supplies they can spare, and their fastest messanger so that i can warn the elves and most importantly assess the threat of the invasion.
I also send a message instructing the militia to hold for dear life, sealing down everythingwand retreat inside the mines with the population if need be. I will get there in time, and if i don't no orc will be left alive to tell the tale

How many elves are there compared to us?

>>>Defended only by local militia, it's people and mercenaries (in Constantinople's case)

Actually a ~10,000 professional army, plus ~10,000 in militia/civilian volunteers, plus ~1,000 Turkish defectors, plus hundreds of Italian and other mercenaries against ~80,000 Turks. Odds were less than 4:1 and the Byzantines had access to the sea for the first part of the siege. I've been wargmaing longer than roleplaying, asshole. I was gaming the siege of Constantinople most likely before your parents were conceived.

>I imagine my strongholds are even better defended than these

Forkbeard the Fuckwit took the army away with him, remember?

>Now please stop talking before you embarass yourself any further by your clear lack of knowledge.

Again as a long term wargamer, I know much more about sieges than you do.

>>Also point me to where OP stated Orcs have access to magic.

Point out where he says they do not. A fantasy setting equates magic.

>No real dwarven capital worth its salt would fall in a matter of few weeks.

What happens to all the lands around the capital in the meantime? Yo know, where you grow all your food?

Unless magic is explicitly stated to be involved then it is not. A fantasy setting may equate magic, but you can't assume that casters are common place or militarized. All we know is that there are dwarves, orcs, nomad elves, and humans.
I'm with the dude who said that dwarves are known for their strongholds. These are mountainside fortresses, not just shitty castles with walls that can easily be torn down or climbed over. Sure, they're peasants, they're gonna have a hard time. Many will die. But they're still dwarves. Stereotypes seem to imply they come out the womb with a beard, start drinking ale at age 4, and handle their first axe sooner than that. These are, of course stereotypes that won't apply to everyone. But the point is most of them aren't just fodder to be steamrolled. Fortresses take time to siege. Assuming these are pretty standard dwarves, then there isn't a ton of stuff outside the fortress for the orcs to ravage anyway. Probably just some stupid hill konolds or farms.
Your wargaming experience doesn't matter. Your argument matters. Sure, you can use your experience with wargames to help your argument, but stop being a bragadocious fuckwit. The fact that you play wargames alone does not make you right and does not aid your argument. It just makes you look stupid.

>Your wargaming experience doesn't matter.

>Using the experience gained from gaming sieges doesn't matter when discussing sieges in a game.

Sure, whatever you want to believe.

The morons have spoken, OP. Your king needn't worry and his kingdom is safe. Take the long road home. Hell, take a couple extra months if you need to.

I'm more curious as to why I went to help the human kingdom myself. Don't I have a general or some lesser lord to take charge while I chill back at home?

If your castle doesn't have two month's worth of stocked supplies, then you shouldn't have been king in the first place.

>Factors to Consider:
Damage to be dealt by the orcs in an allotted unit of time.
Size/Strength of defending force.
Strength of relief force relative to defending force.
Attrition elves would deal to the relief force crossing through.

I made this logic diagram to help you answer the question.

IF ELVES > RELIEF FORCE, TAKE LONG
IF ORCS DESTROY KINGDOM < 2 WEEKS, TAKE LONG
IF ORCS DESTROY KINGDOM < 2 MONTHS, TAKE SHORT
IF ORCS DESTROY KINGDOM > 2 MONTHS, TAKE LONG

If the goal is to prevent permanent destruction of the kingdom while preserving the strength of the warriors and keeping the king alive, therefore any route that would result in the death of the king can be outright discarded. After that, any remaining routes that would result in the destruction of the kingdom can also be discarded. If no valid routes still exist that the kingdom doesn't get destroyed, preservation of the soldiers takes priority, and the safest route for them should be chosen.

Apply weights based on likelyhood of happening if you don't have definite answers on these questions, and then choose the most likely to occur path.

>at the head of an army
>any possible excuse to antagonize elves
Of fucking course I'm marching through the elf lands.

I might even go a couple days out of the way to fuck up some local holy shrines/locations.

The Garrison of a castle is not the same as the army. When an army marches, typically a garrison is left of around 1/10th of the armies size, if English garrisons in France during the 100 years war is anything to go by. Now we are talking mountain strongholds, that have a single approach, with food stocks for at least half a year, if not longer. Defending a gate and wall is easy if the fortifications are built for it, and the commander is not an idiot. There would be a commander who is competent left behind, since the Dwarf army is helping, so not scrapping the bottom of the barrel. Assuming the orcs have the numbers to lay siege (10-1), the Strongholds can last at least a year. Also, the militia would have been bolstered by refugees from external places that were vulnerable. To make a successful assault, on a single front, against a castle? 2 weeks to make seige engines (Towers), 1 week with jut ladders. Then numbers need to be at least 15-1 to be reasonably sure of success. There is a reason why the Crak De Chevaliers was taken by surrendering, not by siege. The Mamelukes took all the land surrounding it, and still were unable to successfully siege it. They had to trick the garrison of 300 into surrendering with a forged letter. There is no way the hold would fall in less than 6 months.

>The Garrison of a castle is not the same as the army.

And a castle is not the same as a country. The orcs don't need to take a single castle to loot, burn, and otherwise fuck up the entire country.

Keep nattering on about how tough your castles are and how much food is stored there. It will make no difference when all your peasants are dead, their crops and farms burned, their livestock either killed or herded away, and their market villages destroyed.

Peasants fled into the castle with their livestock when an invasion happened. Market Villages were based very near castles, often directly nearby. Lands can be burned, but once the invaders have been driven off, there will be one harsh winter, maybe made easier by grain donations from the Castles stocks, then everything will return to normal.

Demand help from the humans in return for some extra troops/supplies for saving their bald asses again.
Then take shortest way back, tell elves that I'll beat their ass another day but for now I gotta go fight some idiots laying siege to my home.
If they do not agree, tell humans with me to diplomatically negotiate with the elves since they're good with that.
I'm pretty sure nomadic elves get terrorized by orcs as well so they might join our cause. (promise to be a trade hub for them once in a while when they pass by kingdom).

When we arrive, Orcs get a taste of how the Ottomans felt at the Battle of Vienna.

THEY'RE OUTNUMBERED 15 TO 1!
AND THE BATTLE'S BEGUN!

>Using the experience you gained from gaming sieges doesn't matter when discussing sieges in a game
Didn't get it/read it, but whatever. You can reread it yourself until you get it (even though you won't).

I also never said his Kingdom was safe. We need more information to confirm that. We don't know the orc's number, the size of the garrison left at home, or the overall capabilities of either army. It's just you seem to be some sort of doomsayer who says they're right just because "muh wargaming experience".

Shut the fuck up. Provide actual evidence, or at least imagine a more descriptive scenario to provide more meaningful conversation to the other anons in this thread. You will never win anyone over to your side of the argument by being a cunt who only gets what they want to out of what you read. You didn't even try to tackle the rest of my argument, you just defended your right to jack your wargaming prowess off because that's what offended your ego the most.