>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/
What are some of the most useless spells in the game? I nominate Creation.

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/15080955
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Man I fucked up in my game I made my guy a lying backstabber

>What are some of the most useless spells in the game? I nominate Creation.
Create food, fly and all illusion spells

maybe he was lying about being a backstabber

alternatively, you could just backstab anybody who calls you a liar

Mending

No I talked to the dm
His son who has been hunting him for decades finally kills him and replaces him on the team

user mending is a spell that's as good as the player using it.

What's everyone's opinion on using riddles? How about shitty rhyming ones that are based on Indiana Jones?

>illusion spells
But those are the most fun if you're not just accumulating damage spells.

Maybe, but it's impractical as fuck. 1 minute casting time, to repair just one tear? Crazy Diamond it is not.

Blade Ward
Witch Bolt
Mordenkainen's Sword
Time Stop

Don't over estimate your teams intelligence
My group had to solve a riddle to leave a room
We destroyed the room instead

>time stop
god for such a badass seeming spell it really is underwhelming

How would you go about "fixing" some of these less than stellar spells?

My group couldn't tell what their colors were..

As with all puzzles, don't go in expecting only one solution and/or way out..

How would you improve a playing grid's visuals and utility?

The premise of my riddle is that an ancient wizard left a hoard of treasure buried under his tower protected by an illusion of piles of gold and trinkets.
>My treasure resplendent, it is thine, if you only desire that which doesn't shine

They have to find the holy g- I mean not shiny shit to break the illusion and find the real treasure.

>most useless spells in the game?
Storm of Vengeance takes my top spot because it's hands down the single worst 9th level spell. It's worse than Astral Projection, and that's saying something. Honorable mentions go to Jump, Find Traps, and Friends.

True Strike
Witch Bolt
Color Spray

My puzzle was blue+ red=...

Be prepared for players to grumble when they don't get the obious answer.

After spending half an hour on the riddle for the bell at the end of Treasure of the Broken Hoard, I got to listen to the players debate amongst themselves that "friendship" and "knowledge" are interchangeable terms, in character.

They carry with them a big threat of making a dungeon feel less organic and more like an old school videogame.

Additionally, if they happen to be too obvious to the group they decrease the subjective threat level.

Go for keys/skulls/gems located in various places instead. From skill checks to monsters that need to be slain/outwitted these pose a more organic challenge than "press buttons in the right order" or

>Don't over estimate your teams intelligence
This.
If the entire party has darkvision and you put a colour based puzzle in the dark, don't assume they'll remember they only see in shades of grey in the dark.

I'm making a battle of the bands style campaign, where all the enemies and bosses are rival bands, and I need a second opinion.

There will be regular combat, but when facing off against an enemy in a battle of the bands style face off the players will have to roll performance checks (and they'll also have to roll performance checks when using magical instruments). So to not only favor bards and Cha classes I was thinking I should modify the performance skill to be proficiency bonus + one ability score bonus of your choice. Plus all players start with the performance skill and proficiency in one instrument.

Don't, make the good spells worse instead. Spells should be a hodgepodge of "situational" and "decent" instead of "take Tiny Hut to never get your rest interrupted again and also a portable impenetrable fortress at no cost to you, not even a spell slot."

>Blade Ward
I kinda think this one is okay if you have a War Magic type ability, otherwise, it's pretty bad.

It's more than I can say for True Strike.

I don't know, at least it could serve story purposes, like fuck up an army camp or something. Time Stop might be worse.

This, there is one time our party have to find a dragon born sage to transcript a dragon scroll. Not until the end we realize one of our party can read Draconic and the Bard can cast comprehend languages..

Is there any class feature or effect that can tell you CR of a person?

How weeby are your charcthers name

Battlemasters 7 level iirc

These are my stats,
>Str- 15
>Dex- 5
>Con- 17
>Int- 15
>Wis- 13
>Cha- 18

What kind of character should I play?

>Dex- 5
why

Why would anyone play anything but a bard in this campaign? Not that that's a bad thing.

It's a real shame our fighter went Monster Hunter instead of Battlemaster.

one with heavy armor

One with different stats.

I assigned my stats in the order I rolled them

Malrus Elham. Tiefling Illusionist Wizard. He might look scary on the outside with his deep gruff voice & tall stature, but in reality, he is a pacifist and a loving family man with a halfling wife and an adorable 10-year-old daughter who he would do anything for.

Antilife Shell always bugs me
it sounds cool as fuck that you can conjure up a barrier no living thing can cross but the limitations on it are dire, terrible radius, cant have allies ignore the effect, cant push the barrier into creatures forcing them back

for a spell only 1 class gets access too outside of magical secrets i expect more

decent paladin, heavy armor lets you ignore that dex penalty to AC just get used to going last in combat and you can use Find Steed to get around the battlefield easy

>filename not just Rock & Gnoll

c'mon, user

Oh... Yeah what said. Assuming your character lives long enough to gain access to Heavy Armor. Cha and Con are great for a Cha caster, but your AC will be nonexistent. I lean Bard. You'll play face and stay out of combat in the early levels until you can supplement with magic. Paladin could also be fine, but frontline combat will hurt even against low CR trash. Either way, your party is gonna have to carry you for a bit since even gobbos are gonna reliably hurt you.

>Witch Bolt
I was looking for spells to grab with Magic Initiate for my Tempest cleric. Thank you.

>Paladin could be fine

What are you smoking? Those are REALLY good Paladin stats. Sure, the 5 Dex is bad, but how many paladins invest more than 10 or 12 in Dex?

>frontline combat will hurt even against low CR trash

What? 17 Con at level one gives you so many hit points, and Heavy Armor doesn't care about the low DEX score.

>>Dex- 5
>>Cha 18
>dex is lowest stat while cha is highest stat

True Strike is pretty worthless. I'm also not a fan of Crown of Madness, I don't think its as bad as True Strike, but its a bad spell if I ever saw one.

1) You have to keep wasting your action for this spell to take effect, while you are concentrating.

2)If a target is not within melee range of the inflicted creature they can act freely.

3) They get a save at the end of each of their turns.

Just awful for a second level spell slot.

The shitposting is getting kind of abstract these days.

>Heavy Armor doesn't care about the low DEX score
Just double checked my book. Yeah, I fucked up and mixed up Paladin starting equipment with Cleric. Paladin is the best choice then since the real concern is making it to level 2 which is why I was originally hesitant about him getting involved in combat at all. +3 starting health is nice, but with just one hit die it isn't going to last long in an adventuring day (unless your group abuses the long rest mechanic).

test

>+3 starting health is nice, but with just one hit die it isn't going to last long

When does it ever at level 1? That's not an issuse of these particular stats, that's just how level 1 is.

He's actually more likely to survive because he'll have more hitpoints than paladins of the same level generated by point-buy or stat arrays.

Why the fuck can't I post a fucking link? I want feedback on some item-tracking system, but I can't post anything

What do you think of those magic items, meant for a level 7 barbarian?

>The Iron Sword of Conquerors (Greatsword, uncommon)
While being used against Beasts, Constructs, Fey, Giants, Humanoids, Plants and Swarms, counts as magical and has +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls.
If the wielder makes a critical hit against a creature, this creature must succeed on a DC 15 Strength saving throw. If it fails, it is knocked prone.

>The Silver Sword of Heroes (Greatsword, uncommon)
While being used against Aberrations, Celestials, Dragons, Fiends, Monstrosities, Oozes and Undead, counts as magical and has +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls.
If the wielder makes a critical hit against a creature, the silver sword catches fire until the end of the wielder's next turn. The burning sword deals additional 1d8 Fire damage on a hit, after which the flame is doused.

Here's also something for the paladin.

>The Stormcaller (Magical warhammer, uncommon, versatile)
The wielder has a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls. While making an attack, the wielder can throw the hammer at a target no further than 30 feet away, dealing the normal damage. Regardless of the result of the attack, the hammer instantly returns to the wielder's hand.
When expending a spell slot to use a Divine Smite, the wielder can forego dealing radiant damage, instead dealing the equal Lightning damage to the target or any creature within 10 feet of it.

Hello there, newfriend. Welcome to Veeky Forums.

Just split the link up

Well I meant in the context of him having an AC of like 10 because of his Dex. I forgot Paladin gave heavy armor so my original understanding of his starting situation was wrong. You were right in saying that this is a great start for a Paladin.

I am doing ToA, and need opinions on this inventory system. I want my players to put more effort into what they own and what specifically they're carrying, but I also know that tracking encumbrance can be pretty no-fun. The pictured system seems like a simple solution. My question is: how do I reward strong characters who are able to carry more? Do I give them more carrying capacity at 12, 14, 16 str?

I know I can use the STR x 15 for encumbrance, but this visual system is appealing and, I hope, makes an inventory a bit more real than just words on a list.

Story time. My 3rd time running a session, nothing too complex, city is covered in a poison mist, so they fled underground, and eventually discovered an hidden ancient underground temple. Above a giant brass door, written in half dwarven and half elvish (team had to work together to decode it), it was a simple riddle, when they entered the wrong phrase (had to speak in a combination of dwarven and elvish) they got locked inside, and the room began to fill with gas. Needless to say, they all died.

To elaborate: the players basically draw their items in the boxes. Larger items take up all 3 boxes (such as a longsword), whereas rations for a week is only 1 of the 3 boxes. The boxes represent a bag/belt/container etc.

How does one go about finding a group to play tabletop D&D with?

did it work?

truthfully, its really hard, i got lucky and had a group of friends who were interested.

Step 1. make friends
Step 2. make friends play dnd

Ask around the LCS
Look online/in local newspapers for LFG advertisements
Man up, DM, look for players, watch them flock to you, then let one of them take over when a better DM eventually offers to

>I fucked up and mixed up Paladin starting equipment with Cleric

There are exactly 2 (sometimes 3) classes that can start with heavy armor. Fighters, Paladins, and Clerics whose domain gives them proficiency at level 1.

3 boxes for a longsword? Holy shit dude that's brutal. You have like 5-6 max, right?
You could barely even carry the shit you need to fight, let alone any utility stuff.

Lifecleric for the first level -> lorebard

Heavy armor, charismahealmagic, supportmagic, bardic inspiration, song of rest. Be the backbone of your party.

3 small boxes i think they mean. so that would be one of their 4/5/6 boxes.

Color spray is all right. Early levels, it can fuck up the attacks of 3 goblins for a round. That's pretty crucial for early game.

That definitely makes more sense.

one handed weapons should fill one box, versatile weapons should fill two boxes and two handed weapons should fill all three boxes

so can Sleep

Reminder: Removing darksight from your game will infinitely improve your game.

How so? I've been having great fun with it.

sleep can fuck up the attacks of 3 goblins for several rounds. Burning Hands can just kill those goblins.

Why is time stop useless?

It makes dark environments boring.

A deep, dark cave goes from scary and apprehension-building, to boring and predictable just by having darkvision.

casterfags don't like that they can't target anyone while it is up, so no Time Stop + Disintegratex3

If your players are volunteering to take disadvantage on all their perception checks and stroll through the darkness, you should be elated and start throwing traps at them.

1d4+1 rounds also isn't an exceptionally long time for a 9th level spell.

Meh, I'm actually leveraging this to hassle my players. Not everyone has darkvision, so they have to decide whom to put at the front.

It also affects who is potentially affected by Illusions, which I used to great effect in a dungeon that would've been easier on everyone if the group had been blind.

The other thing I used was fucking with the players perception through color, since we have a drow barb and a Tiefling in the group, one of which can see color.

In total: Can't be scared of shit you don't perceive, and relying purely on auditory input for suspense building would bore me personally.

It's always been 1d4+1, and why would you need more?

Gimme your opinions on the DM workshop options.

I'm considering using Sanity for my Science Fantasy campaign.

Myself, I don't even know what you're supposed to accomplish during the time stop since your actions are so restricted.

May as well add a poll to it
strawpoll.me/15080955

It would be an exceptionally long time if you were allowed to do anything.

Weird

>you consider gud
It really depends on your group and the flavor of the campaign. Things like Sanity work in certain situations but are't gud for at least 75% of games/groups.

One of my players has drawn the ire of a revenant. What are some interesting corpses the spirit can inhabit?

How would you stat an undead dragon turtle

I don't appear to be able to say "none".

Has anyone ever used jump? I can't think of a campaign where anyone in my party took jump. I don't think I've ever seen anyone use Feign Death either.
Are they bad? I don't know if I can say if they're bad or not if I've never used them or seen anyone else use them.

I can't even think of a use for Feign Death.

Fair enough. I'm trying to get a feel for subjective opinions though.

For the Science Fantasy campaign I'll add an additional optional attribute for casters personally, hoping to slow down caster supremacy a bit.

Depends. Is it zombified, skeletonized, or a shadow-dragon type thing?

like this