How is it Veeky Forums?

How is it Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

flickr.com/photos/eselkunst/sets/72157623388958572/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Unless I've got my systems confused, mechanically sound, but slightly covered in fur.

The art is terrible, save for the stuff by Chris Goodwin. The mechanics are pretty good.

Some of the players in a L5R game I'm in previously played an ironclad game together. They seem to have liked it.
Also the races/species are furry.

That's about all I know.

Has enough fluff. But Lavikandia is fluffier.

It's actually quite a nice system, and a pretty decent setting if you're not a sperg about furshit. Art is godawful and doesn't at all convey the tone

They put the worst art front and center, hid some great art in the book, and the mechanics are brilliant.

You can't get a good group for it, because no amount of disclaimers gets people past the cover. I've tried.

What's so brilliant about it?

And why can't someone just strip away the superficial furry elements?

If I was stuck on an island with a bunch of furries, and I had to pick one furry RPG to play, I would choose this or any other Sanguine Game's furry RPGs. It's actually a good system and is leagues above other furry trash role-playing game systems not made by Sanguine.

People already have years ago newfag
1d4chan.org/wiki/Ironclaw/Furless

But they also make other games that use the same system that aren't furry, like their space sci-fi game Myriad Song.

I really love Sanguine’s Cardinal system, though it’s a shame that all the tweaks and improvements to it come in through their non-Ironclaw games. Ironclaw is starting to show its age and could probably use a 3rd edition soon, but considering how much they struggle just to put out supplements in their spare time we probably wouldn’t see a new version in a long time, if ever.

Great system, great fluff, the artwork on the inside is great but the cover art is awful and was only made to attract furrys (which repels anyone else).

If you want to get people to play, your going to have to hide the front cover from them.

I heard they are making a Call of Cthullu type game next and they are getting the artist who draws Lackidaisy to illustrate it.

Haven’t looked into their development in a while, but I’d imagine the CoC thing is just the “cult horror” supplement they had promised for their Urban Jungle system a while back. Could be wrong, though. They definitely seem to have a habit of launching new projects when their past kickstarter goals haven’t been fully delivered on yet.

I'm actually playing in a campaign right now. Ask anything I guess?

That would be fucking neat.

It's not

Very good and well-balanced mechanics, especially for a system that has way more races than necessary. Art is absolute horseshit (no pun intended) though.

I really like how your class is a stat, because it means you can have a character who is physically weak, but still a good melee combatant by pure skill and experience.

>lizard people and bull people
>furless

Would the game be enjoyable by non-furries. (Not opposed to anthro just don't get my rocks off to it)?

Is it better to use the setting for the game, like is it good? Or would a homebrew work just as well?

Is it specifically high fantasy or could it be low fantasy as well with minimal tweaking? What about sci-fi or modern/urban?

Anyone got a pdf floating around?

Did they ever bring back animism powers for second edition?

Quick peek at archives has these 4 books
pastebin com/8Q9jrg7w

Yes

Is it in a different book and does ot still work on the mechanic that you must fail an int check to succeed

Not that user, but the first answer is yes. The setting is top notch and the mechanics are easy to learn and makes games run quickly. Second answer is yes. The setting is really fucking good. It looks all happy-go-lucky from the cover art... And the art in general... But the truth is it is absolutely not. It's not a perfect simulator, but the setting is fairly good in keeping how life was like in the early Renaissance. It actually goes into how the merchant class is gaining ground and how nobles are getting worried because commoners can have more power than them, etc. The third answer is that it's NOT high fantasy. It's low fantasy. Magic is really not that crazy, and no one can take much punishment. Hell, even one wound is a serious matter, you can really only take one or two hits before you're pretty fucked.

The setting USED to be high magic, with the world being ruled by what were basically DnD level 20 Wizards, but that was a long time ago. All that magic still exists, but no one knows how to do it and everyone just sorta agrees nervously that it's probably not something anyone should be allowed to do (plus very few people believe said wizard-kings actually existed).

TL;DR: If you're looking for a good game with a very well done setting that's low fantasy and has deadly combat without being straightup grimderp, here you are. The perfect RPG for you is a furry game. Your mother would be proud.

This game is like a corrupted wish, you got the best system the one you dream of but it is for furries

It's good when one is strangely nostalgic for 2006-era furry stuff.

>And why can't someone just strip away the superficial furry elements?

If you want to do that, you can.

That looks to be a furless version of an eariler edition of Ironclaw. Not the latest one.

In saying that, houseruling up your own species is easy. The only time I've ever had difficulty is trying to stat up humans, and that's only because a statting up a species as a jack of all trades doesn't really work.

*When the species prefers to be awake.

I've finally been convinced to download the books and give the rules a try, but I'm having trouble sifting through all of the books available. Does anyone know what other books I need after the omnibus? Does the core rulebook have anything in it that the omnibus doesn't? What all should I get for the full experience?

The Omnibus is the Player's book and the Host's book rolled into one, so if you have the Omnibus you're all set. Aside from that, the extra books are completely optional, I'd say. Some of them add extra species (like Jade, and Horn & Ivory), so they might be worth a look just for more animal options. The Book of Magic is alright once your players start understanding how to use magic of course, but it's not that necessary unless you really want to specialize in certain schools of it. Book of Adventures is alright if you really need inspiration for adventure hooks, but a lot of them are just repeated from 1st edition and frankly they have some noticeable errors in stat blocks.

So in short, the Omnibus is all you really need, unless you want to play as a certain species that isn't covered in the core.

The setting is not my shit, but mechanically the system is good for having diverse species of PCs and NPCs in fantasy.

It can also be relatievly easily hacked with Cortex Plus if you know C+ a decent amount.

It shows its age a little; some things are crunchier than they _need_ to be but not so much it's at all detrimental. Combat is good enough, and people can Do Their Thing and shine at it while not being godawfully OP at everything, tohugh I've not played enough to know what the few OP as fuck things actually are - every system with this level of complexity is gonna have a few things that the devs just accidentally made busted, or favoured because that was their fursona's shtick.

Ironclaw Standard Fantasy Races Drop things with []
>Human
Habitat: Choose One
Cycle: Day
Senses: None
Natural Weapons: Punch, Grab
Include Racial Dice with: Academics, Tactics, choice of Social or Culture skill
Racial Gifts: Geography, [Heraldry] Increased Trait: Wits, Diplomacy
I'm putting Humans as the fairly-generalist, social race here. I've also made the assumption that their culture is very medieval, where their day-to-day is basically governed by the noble houses. And then either they have public schooling (not exactly historic, I know) or they're just more exposed to educated people that they pick up some things.

>Dwarves
Habitat: Mountains
Cycle: Night
Natural Weapons: Punch, Grab
Include Racial Dice with: Climbing, Digging, Endurance
Racial Gifts: Night Vision, Sure-footed, [Dead Reckoning] Spelunking
I'm putting Dwarves as the mountainous race with lots of caves and mining. The Cycle is tentative because it makes sense to me that a cave-going race like the Dwarves would favour night-time outside. I'm also not really sure what the point of Dead Reckoning is when there's Spelunking?

>Wood Elves
Habitat: Forest
Cycle: Choose
Senses: Hearing
Natural Weapon: Punch, Grab
Include Racial Dice with: Observation, Stealth, Weathersense
Racial Gifts: Acrobat, Keen Ears, Fast Climber
I put them as forest-going hunters. A lot of predators are night-going, while some Elves may feel more 'connected' to the forest during the day, so I that's why I'm letting the player choose. Predators are careful and stealthy, so I pretty much gave them that.

>High Elves
Habitat: Coastal
Cycle: Choose
Senses: Hearing
Natural Weapon: Punch, Grab
Include Racial Dice with: Observation, Academics, Supernatural
Racial Gifts: Acrobat, Keen Ears, Increased Trait: Mind

>Plain Orcs
Habitat: Plains
Senses: Smell
Natural Weapon: Tusks, Punch, Grab
Include Racial Dice with: Endurance, Presence, Tactics
Racial Gifts: Frenzy, Hiking, Animal Handling
I put them as warlike and nomadic. Tusks depends on whether your particular Orcs have them or not; there's a lot of both. Also not sure if they'd really be a usable weapon, but there it is.
>War Orcs
Habitat: Plains
Senses: Smell
Natural Weapon: Tusks, Punch, Grab
Include Racial Dice with: Endurance, Presence, Melee Combat
Racial Gifts: Frenzy, Hiking, Increased Trait: Body
Warhammer-style Orcs: Big, Green and mean.
>Ogres
Habitat: Choose (Plains, Forest, Mountain)
Natural Weapon: Punch, Grab, Wrestle
Include Racial Dice with: Brawling, Endurance, Supernatural
Racial Gifts: [Giant] Increased Trait: Body, Charging Strike, Choice of (Coward, Frenzy)
I'll admit I'm pretty influenced by Warcraft on this one. After Brawling and Endurance I didn't really know what else to give them that would set them apart from Trolls except a natural tendency for magic (since they're probably too stupid and loner to actually study it). As for the gift, I figure an Ogre's either mindlessly aggressive or skittish.

>Troll
Habitat: Mountain
Cycle: Twilight
Senses: Listen, Smell
Natural Weapon: Claws, Teeth, Wrestle
Include Racial Dice with: Brawling, Endurance, Choice of (Stealth, Presence)
Racial Gifts: [Giant] Increased Trait: Body, Charging Strike, [Vengeful Fighter] Natural Armour
For skills, I'm letting the player either draw on the old stories of Trolls under bridges, or their knack for intimidation (which, kinda also goes into the old stories). Vengeful Fighter/Natural Armour comes from their tendency to Never Fucking Die.

>Tiefling
Habitat: Choose (Plains, Forest, Mountain)
Natural Weapon: Punch, Horns, Hooves
Include Racial Dice with: Deceit, Stealth, Supernatural
Racial Gifts: Fast Jumper, Sure-footed, Unshakeable Fighter

>Warforged
Habitat: None
Cycle: None (or, As Group Majority)
Natural Weapon: Punch, Grab, Wrestle
Include Racial Dice with: Endurance, Brawling, Melee Combat, Ranged Combat
Racial Gifts: Sure-footed, Clear-headed, Unshakeable Fighter
Since they're machines, I decided to strip off all the instincts and balance it out with proficiency with all fighting (since, that's what they're made to do). As for Cycle, they'll stop and 'rest' when the group does.
>Dragonborn
Habitat: Choose
Senses: Listen, Smell, Spot
Natural Weapon: Claw, Grab, Teeth
Include Racial Dice with: Endurance, Supernatural, Presence, Tactics
Racial Gifts: Increased trait: Body, Mystic (Elementalism), Venomous Bite
The standard anthro-dragon, however the elemental power of dragonbreath is not really replicated, unless a combination of Skunk Spray and a magic attack is used.

>Natural Weapons: Punch, Grab

I thought that anything listed in the "brawling attacks" table was an unarmed attack available to everyone. Thus putting them as natural weapons doesn't do anything.

I would have gone with Natural Weapons: None instead.

Right that simplifies things

I can only speak for the first version (the one with the Slayers(Anime)-Cover): great mechanics, interesting world and a lot of freedom.
I had two groups that lasted longer than 6 years, furries and non-furries had a blast all the time.

Why did they reshape the whole eastern continent to fit Horn & Ivory in?

Is this what they meant when they said “Yiff in Hell”? Because that game looks like hell cometh

Instead of Venomous Bite, how about Natural Weapons: Torch

Torch@ Close d8, d4- Damage + 1 Weak, On Fire

That's what the Salamander has and easily replicates breathing fire or any other subbed in element.

The best advice Veeky Forums has ever given is to take the nifty system and just forget the furshit.

The good art is deep inside

I really doubt they stop being anthro when you dig deeper. It’s all furries all the way down, tell the truth.

More Redwall than Slayers-meets-furaffinity

Goblins, yea or nay as enemies?

Ironclaw does do two interesting things that I don't see often.

- The first is the damage system. You don't track HP. Instead, you use the damage that got past your defenses to see what status effects are inflicted upon you. Sure, it's a bit of a downwards spiral. But, unlike other downwards spirals, you're still useful until you go down. Worst case is that you're afraid, no other PC rallied it off you. You still have the option to stand between your allies and the enemies, or you could hide for a round as ending the round out of sight of all enemies cures afraid.

- Magic has a ritualistic feel to it because casting a spell is split into several separate actions. For example, a basic spell consists of three actions: Ready the spell into your hand/weapon; Cast the spell; Refresh the spell to use it again*. After you perform one action, you don't have to do the next one immediately, you can do something else and come back to the spell later. More advanced spells require readying the base spell, then upgrading to the more advanced version.

*Which can be turned into a free action if you're wearing the right robes and have the appropriate gift. A tradeoff between robes, the protection or armor, or the disadvantages of wearing both.

That is an option if you've got people who care enough to object to furries.

My experience is that most people don't care if they are playing a furry or not. I've even had one player who told me he joined my game because he wanted something different from the standard fantasy races. So I'd suggest keeping the furry stuff unchanged unless you have someone that objects.

Does anyone have the Usagi Yojimbo by Sanguine while this thread is active. been looking for it. thinking about giving this system a try with my players.

m3d14f1r3com

Core:
/file/3btrt3n0xj8lftw

Character sheet:
/file/n5iip5vefcncbd9

thnx user. how compatible is this with the rest of the ironclaw/jadeclaw stuff?

not a clue, I'm just an user that finds links

Two things Ironclaw does that I've found useful enough to adapt to other campaigns:

>PC motto
Each PC has a motto. A third of the XP for each session comes from living according to their personal motto. The attached picture are the mottos given as examples of what a players motto could be, players are free to come up with whatever fits them best. I've only ever seen one player use one of the example mottos, everyone else came up with their own.

I've found that the motto always tells me more about a character than any of the D&D alignments does.

>Session feedback
A third of the XP a PC receives each session comes from giving feedback on what the player thought about the session afterwards. When a player has a complaint, this encourages them to speak up. Think about how many stories you've heard that were caused by players not speaking up.

If the session went well, all you're likely to get is a "it was fine" from each player, which gets the full feedback XP. That may sound useless, but I've found that getting players to say that is a major GM confidence boost compared to them saying nothing. I know that the session went over well, while players not giving feedback would have left me focusing on what I felt went badly.

Sanguine's Usagi Yojimbo game is pretty much the "beta" version of their Cardinal system that ended up getting used for Ironclaw 2e. You could technically adapt it if you really wanted to, but you'd essentially be creating a lot of work for yourself that could be avoided just using Jadeclaw and maybe porting over the weapons and stuff from UY you like.

For those who’ve played/run games in the non-default setting, what does your world’s variety of species look like? Do you keep it a zoo with everything available, or more focused based on the major houses?

The most I’ve done in some games was either remove or restrict the avian species, mainly to keep flight-based PCs from either dominating challenges or otherwise feeling useless in enclosed spaces.

If it's good, then who cares?

Seriously, they should just have paid the guy for the whole book. The contrast between the dofferent artstyles is jarring.
flickr.com/photos/eselkunst/sets/72157623388958572/

Ironclaw is furry like disney comics are. It's a professional product devoid of yiff. Only niche/home products can allow themselves to be furry.