EDH/Commander General

Overrated Edition

Previously:>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Unofficial and new, but has GOAT search interface and updates on time.
scryfall.com

>Thread Question
What cards or commanders do you believe are overrated or overused?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-06-17-Zqr-the-scarab-god/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-wild-boys/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-soft-machine/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-cities-of-the-red-night/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>What cards or commanders do you believe are overrated or overused

Consecrated sphinx. There I said it

>minimum 2 card draw's on everyone elses turn
>solid flying blocker
>in the color that can protect its stuff with counterspells
>overrated

>overrated OR overused

Nice reading comprehension

It's a good card, but it's not end all be all of card draw, like it ssems that every blue deck has to run it. I mean, it paints a big target on your head and I'd much rather do other stuff that spendng resources, (probably the same ones I draw off of it) to protect the beast.

Oloro, Atraxa, Meren, Brago and the Scarab God. There's always at least 1 of these at the table. Every time.
Aso I just don't like Meren, I wish she was sultai so bad. It'd be so much easier to have responses outside of my 1 free reanimate.

Anyway when it come to generals, it's not much the specific commander, but the way they tend to be "solved" immediately after the're spoiled. Like if I see a Locust God on the other side of the table, I already know two/thid of the decklist without ever playing with the card.

On the other hand, more open-ended generals tend to be just goodstuff.dec, it's probably just an effect of the spikeization of the format.

>Wanting the golgari meme queen to do MORE
Kys, her effect is already undercosted

Sol ring. You can make edh without it. You don't need a cockring to dump a big load from your hand

>Thread Question
Not the one you posted.

>tfw don't run Sol ring in my Animar deck because it feels underpowered when I just want colored mana.

You could just run it in another bug commander. I used to have one in my Mimeoplasm, by the time I have it on the field my graveyard is stocked Sidisi made a bunch of experience fodder.
True, but there's no reason not to have it, outside of niche situations. Or animar

>I wish one of the best commanders in the format was in the single best color combination in the format
The fuck is wrong with you

Sol ring can't even attack. And it costs 1 more than memnite

Are you saying you do not like how a particular card can reveal most of a strategy/decklist?

Your just not eating enough solid foods. Nykthos in mono decks and bounce lands in 2+

To be honest, I actually just added the first magic card I saw in my files. Pic not related.

Is skeletal vampire any good, or is it just too much mana for what it is?

I play it in an orzhov tokens deck, and it is surprisingly good every time I stick it to the board.

Okay in vampire decks, good in sacrifice decks, never a super mighty card but it has its uses.

But you could play grave titan

Feels mediocre due to the fact that it can be killed by a bolt
Grave titan seems better if you want tokens
Sepulchral primordial also works if you just want more than 1 body

I run it in my skeleton tribal. Since it relies heavily on Dictate of Erebos, Skeletal Vampire is great. But it IS a bit pricey...

Looks to me like a bad Gisa.
Skeletal can only sac bats to get two more bats for 3BB, Gisa can sac anything and get X zombies where X is the power for B and tapping herself.
The only reason why I'm hesitant to say strictly worse is because bats have flying I guess.

Playing Skeletal Vampire doesn't stop you from playing Grave Titan.

It's not awful but it's not great. I usually swap it out when there's a better fit for the deck.

What’s the worst color combo out of two- and three-color decks?

>Boros
>Mardu

>Mardu
That's a weird way to spell Naya.

>killed by bolt
Is this what MaRo wanted when he said "expand the playerbase"?

Skelly was used as a Limited and Standard finisher. It's too much mana in EDH

>Mardu
Don't talk shit about my queen

>Naya
Hmm. You're probably right.

UB mill is bad as fuck

It's not shit.

Simic cus they gay
Esper cus they faggots

>boros
Iz da bitch askin for a slappin?

I mean, if you play boros I doubt you'd be able to slap very hard.

He'd be able to slap very hard, because his hand would be empty

No such thing. Other colours excel at where other don't. Boros might lack in landramp or card draw, but that can be fixed with brown. Good removal can't be fixed with brown

Any fun experiences with this card?

>Flashbacks of stomping owling mine
Mmmm. Good times.

How cliche is merfolk tribal? Even if I make it as janky and Ixalan block only as I can?

Would it be respectable if I made it bant colored instead of simic colored?
I want to make it temur, but Jori En and Razorfin Hunter don't seem to be justification enough.

Who needs a hand when everybody is fkin REKT m8

Some of the best removal is brown though
>Oblivion stone
>Perilous vault
>Karn
>Ugin
>All is dust

>Hivemind + One with Nothing

Mite b guud

Probably my own boros deck after getting hit with a board clearing. But it's whatever, I still love my gisela.

>can't decide between Chainer, Geth or Toshi for next deck

Help

Geth

Geth is great. Toshi is cooler. Play Horobi.

Which commanders attract the absolute worst people? I ran into a Krenko guy the other night who was an absolute piece of human garbage.

lol my friend plays Krenko and is an unrepentant dirtbag. I love the guy but we all know he's a dirtbag, even he knows and acknowledges it

would it be funnier if you posted the duel deck printing of Krenko?

Seconding this, the local Krenko player has a very bad reputation. It's even become an inside joke.

>Horobi
Jank too strong my dude

Toshi just looks rad and I'm a sucker for spellslinging, so I'll probably go with him.

>only wraths
Karn is fine though. Unless you're supporting the
>spot removal is bad in EDH
meme, these cards just don't compare. Not to mention that two of those cards don't even affect majority of artifacts or eldrazi.

whats the cheapest non meme commanderI can build? anything else besides purphoros?

>Platinum Angel
>Platinum Hyperion
>Orbs of Warding
>Winter Orb
"I like playing magic, really"

zurgo bellstriker

Any deck that plays itself, requires some really vague long-ass combo that leads to 15 minute turns or slows the game down considerably

Any kind of permission deck is always piloted by a turbo tryhard. Myself included, I play Dralnu.

I am convinced that card was intended to be a plague on the format

Any reccs to make this more casual friendly? A new store opened up and meta slower than what I'm used to

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-06-17-Zqr-the-scarab-god/

Try adding some cards that you think are fun to play, but didn't quite make the cut.
If that doesn't work, try playing slower, or just worse versions of the cards you're already playing, like a mana leak instead of a counterspell just as an example

>What cards or commanders do you believe are overrated or overused?
i've said this a lot before, but 2 mana ramp spells and 3 mana rocks are all pretty underwhelming to me.

krosan grip and return to dust are okay. the fact that anybody runs wood elves blows my mind. burgeoning is pretty medium.

Put your penis in a food blender.

quite a lot of mana rocks suck the biggest balls

Worn powerstone. For real nigga?

wood elves can fetch duals that enter untapped and can be recursed easily

Wood elves is only good in recursion decks.
People who run it as a ramp card are fucking retarded.

imo the best way to power down any deck is to remove the tutors. if your deck doesn't have tutors then you should actually probably just build a new deck with a less serious commander.

honestly your deck doesn't look that brutal. you should make something really goofy. it's good to have a variety of decks.

Sure, I'll exile your mindslaver.

a lot of this is the fault of wizards printing new legendaries with the format in mind. when edh was played entirely with existing cards there was so much more variance and creativity, even if many good cards showed up consistently. the commander sets past the very first one have damaged the format.

I run it in my ruric-thar deck because it's a nature's lore that doesn't ding me for 6 when I cast it

Thanks user, a lot of fun garbage has fallen by the wayside, and I can look at them for next time

Don't even own a mindslaver.
Might change that.

Legitimately mono white decks like Jazal are super cheap and can wipe out a table if nobody is paying attention to you but someone casts a wrath and you may as well scoop

Oloro. The Oloro guy at our store is a greasy fuck who tries to pretend his deck is "wall tribal" when it's actually hard stax and "oops, I win" combo's like Sanguine Bond + Exquisite Blood. That's wouldn't even be that bad if he didn't complain about every fucking thing, from people focusing him out of the game because some of us actually want the game to end in under 3 hours to people countering his shit to even complaining about Edgar-fucking-Markov when he himself is playing a commander that also gets free shit from the Command Zone. And he has the fucking gall to complain about shit being "against the spirit of the format" (read: literally any U/G deck, no matter how competitive).
I love this format, but I swear to god it attracts the most obnoxious people.

according to edhrec wood elves is in 110,000 decks while skyshroud claim is only in 14,000.

what is wrong with people? i think dorks in general are bad btw. bop makes sense if you are like 4+ colors but most elves are dumb.

>etb tapped
yeah i don't know why people play that nonsense. i can see why you would play thran dynamo or gilded lotus in some decks but darksteel ingot?? why???

>What cards or commanders do you believe are overrated or overused?

>Actually pretty good but not the unbeatable golden gods they're made out to be
Cyclonic Rift
Atraxa
Rhystic Study
I could probably say Sol Ring too given how people screech for bans, but it is pretty damn off the hook

>Not bad, but FAR overrated
Edgar
Kaalia
Oloro
Razaketh (Pic Related)
Ixalan Block's Flip Cradle and Academy (I could revise this, but so far they're too much work to live up to the hype)

>Actually pretty shitty, despite the hype
Vial Smasher in real EDH (She was only ever powerful in the lowered-starting-life duel forks)

I feel like Ruric Thar is an exception to everything. I run Crater Hellion and Bloodfire Colossus because I don't want my boardwipes to ding me/don't want to get fucked by my warp world

Sounds like the kind of cunt i would jund the shit out of. Thoughtseizes, extreme burn and face smacking. What a lady flap.

The only thing these sets should have been doing was reprints, I completely agree in the impact on edh.

We goonna be riiich soon

but, you know, i get why wizards is doing it. no matter what they may say, their primary directive is to make money and appeal to as many customers as possible. the health of the game is tertiary.

NO FUCKING NO

Open for feedback, especially if my maybeboards have anything of value to swap in. No cuts, I was able to bite the bullet and get them all down to 99.

Marath dinosaurs, "how many indestructibility enablers is too much?"
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-wild-boys/

A Kraj deck that I have mixed feelings about. I feel like I was gullible falling for the "Kraj is fun" meme. Mairsil might be the commander I want.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-soft-machine/

Queen Marchesa. The Edgar precon was my first deck, and I'm trying to redeem it.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-cities-of-the-red-night/

the closest lgs where I am now that does commander is an annoying drive away, so i'm tempted to twist the arms of some friends to come play with me using my decks. What's a good idea for a fourth deck?

Wood elves has seen a ton of printings, including in multiple commander precons
Skyshroud claim has only had 1 printing in an 18 year old set
On the topic of dorks, I kind of like that they both ramp and can act as a blocker or attacker if needed. They also work very well alongside a craterhoof behemoth or an overrun-like card. It's also way easier to recurse a creature in green than it is to get an instant or sorcery back.

Why would you run boardwipes in a creature-based deck? Seems counterintuitive

Go for it, it's about $4.00 tops. Prove right while I stick my dick in a blender.
Daretti players, amiright?

my kraj deck eventually became zegana which became intet which became riku which became maelstrom wanderer

Sometimes my opponent's creatures are better than mine. Plus, Crater Hellion is really good at killing hexproof Bragos while leaving a lot of my board untouched.

Can confirm Crater Hellion is a 10/10 card

Sidisi Ad Naus is pretty damn cheap, as is turbo budget Evil Mike.

Still waiting for a legendary goat or whale, preferably the former.

If your opponents have stronger creatures than you do, you're not playing your deck right. Also, your commander can block brago, so why would you need any other way of dealing with him? That's the rest of the table's job

holy fuck are you me?

>marath dinos
dino decks are a bit obvious given how recently dinos were printed. marath is a good commander for em though.
>leave to chance
not sure this card deserves a slot over path/teferi's protection.
>asceticism
you have almost all dinos. you could run steely resolve instead. 2cmc is a lot easier to get down.
>darksteel ingot
>everflowing challice
challice is fine but you should run the other two signets instead.
>shield of kaldra
it's just a worse version of darksteel plate. run steelshaper's gift instead.
>vanquishers banner
>staff of nin
seems pricey for the effect but they aren't bad. you could put in thornbite staff as a second steelshaper target. you could also put in sunforger if you want to get that utility.
>creeping renaisance
>season's past
i prefer paying less and getting one card back instead of paying more and getting a ton. i'd run eternal witness instead of these/one of these.

i'll do the other decks in a bit maybe.

>knock out the Edgar deck
>knock out the Karador deck
>comes down to me and my buddy
>he’s on daxos
>I’m on brago
>game goes on for another 2 hours

Better, not stronger. Sure Ruric can block Brago, but he'll just attack someone else. Same can be said for Kaalia, Melek, Meren, so many commanders who if they sit on the board for a turn or two can just start to dominate the game, not to mention decks like elves or goblins who spew hundreds of tokens out.

Ruric Thar and his Big Dumb Green Friends™ are pretty big guys, but they can't do much against hundreds of little annoying green fuckers.