EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previously:>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Unofficial and new, but has GOAT search interface and updates on time.
scryfall.com

>Thread Question
What one card would ytou ban and what one card would you unban?

I run a Gahiji deck and it's accidentally really good

>what card would you ban and what would you unban?

>ban
Sol Ring

>unban
Prophet but I'm very biased

>Ban
Cyclonic Rift
>Unban
Recurring Nightmare

Is it a dick move to use Persist-creatures in Mazirek?

>Ban
>never going to fucking happen
Sol Ring because it's fucking sol ring
>Should be banned because it meets every criteria for banning
Mana Drain. I'm fucking sick of it. Before the reprint, it was fine because only one dude had it and it was expected of him. Now, it shows up enough to make me not want continue playing when it happens, even if it's not my shit.

Ban demonic tutor

Unban prophet

It's just another infinite combo. That's up to you.

You want to know how I know you're all bad at magic?

Ban Sol Ring.

Unban Emrakul.

>unban emrakul
>colourless decks now have a wincon in their command zone
>not just a wincon, an extra turn "holy shit, he's just going to sac it, then cast it again over and over till we're fucked" wincon
Not smart senpai. I have one, I can't use it, but holy shit every deck would run it. Emrakul would be like $300.

we should ban primevil titan, it is +1 more mana than hour of promise and will fetch all of 2 utility lands you run in a single deck anyways

we should unban Squadron Hawks

Really? Someone mentions unbanning a 15 Mana Timmy's wettest dream creature while kozilek and ulamog are perfectly legal, and your snap reaction is "make it a commander so you can never TnN or SnT or sneak attack or omniscience it into play?"

I'm not

Sol Ring objectively deserves to be banned

>sol ring and mana drain shouldn't be banned
You want to know how I know you're wrong?

Yes, actually. I built a critical mass Oldzilek artifact ramp deck, and I could usually hardcast him out t3/t4.

I think the point is that you don't need to cheat it out, though you could. It will just fucking show up on its own with frightening regularity.

>we should ban primevil titan,
It is banned.
>we should unban Squadron Hawks
It's not banned, it just doesn't work in format without a Relentless Rats clause.

>that's the joke

>unban recurring nightmare
Get the fuck out of here, Sheldon.

Yea. I built a deck that was based around hope of giripur (whatever the fuck the thopter is), and eventually swapped it to oldKozi with no other changes. It's a significantly better deck because a 12/12 anihilator 4 that draws 4 cards is somehow really good on T4. It's weird.

Not what objectively means senpai.

If you're argument is based around t1 magical christmasland hands, you're missing the point that it's 1 card in a 99 card deck. In fact, manacrypt is way more powerful, and I actually run it. The thing is, outside of monocolour decks and magical christmasland, colourless mana just isn't that good, unless you have a way to abuse it, then 2 colourless mana is entirely too few.

Really, it's only utility outside of some incredibly niche combos is as a way to break a stax lock, but it's reciprocal, as in both players can use it to break a stax lock, so it's a lot less niche than something like Oppression.

Go on, let me know. I actually run mana drain as well, and while it's very strong, there's a paradox; either you use it early to accelerate your curve, or you use it late to eat something big. Either way you need something immediately available to spend the mana on, and as a single card in a deck, there are very few ways to abuse it.

There are cards that need to be banned, those aren't it because this is the only format where you can actually play them. If you said ashnods or foodchain you'd have a better argument. Maybe even Labman but you're too new to know what makes a card powerful.

>ban
Don't know
>unban
#freebalance

>Labman

>slapping down metalworker, shitting out kozilek, then throwing down eldrazi monument the next turn because I'm bored
I wish all the devoid cards counted as colourless. Old eldrazi had the perfect flavour of "fuck colours", new eldrazi are just a lame tribal.

>2 instantly-usable mana for 1 with absolutely zero drawback is not the most busted thing ever

nigga, sol ring is arguably the most powerful card ever printed

Oh, you don't actually want to talk about magic, you just want to shitpost. Can you go somewhere else? There's a whole board to shitpost on.

I could post a bunch of saucy reaction images and condescending greentexts to derail the thread into oblivion, but y'all aren't even trying. This is like the special olympics of bait. I bet you haven't even built a Giest of St. Traft Seamonster Tribal for flavour purposes.

Ok, I wasn't 100% sure you were trolling before, but now I'm sure you are. Thanks for the clarification

Anyways ban sol ring

>we should ban
hermit druid

stops labman from winning turn 4

>oh he didn't take the bait, he must be trolling
I'll discuss it with you, but "ban thing" and "it's probably the most powerful card in magic" doesn't really say anything.

Even metashare and "diversity of the format" are hogwash, because there are a bunch of cards that can go into every deck, like Command Tower, Ancient Tomb, and Sensei's Divining Top.

Sol ring is OBJECTIVELY fine. Subjectively, some people whine about seeing it t1. If that's the issue, play removal, or don't play 1v1, so that the table will sort itself out.

>Just remove it bro
That argument applies to labman, food chain and altar too.

Some people really are that stupid, though. We get folks rolling through here complaining about Prime Time (and sometimes other banned cards) with moderate regularity.

Yes and no.

Foodchain wins at instant speed. Same with labman. Ashnods is kind of hit or miss, but without foodchain or labman it would revert to the go-to wincon for combo shitters. All those cards require stack interaction to deal with the moment they're dropped by someone who knows what they're doing, but you have like 3 turns to blow up a sol ring, which every colour but black and red can do with ease, before anything really happens with it.

And to be clear, I'm specifically talking about cEDH format defining combo decks, which most people seem to have issues with.

>Red can't destroy sol ring with ease
Did you mean black and blue?

Lab Man and Food Chain go off for game win immediatley, Sol Ring is just value -- it'll probably do some damage before you get it off board but it's not going to end the game like those other two.

And compared to any of the three, Ashnod's (and expensive cousin Phyrexian) Altar is fucking tame.

As for me?
>What one card would ytou ban and what one card would you unban?
Ban Lab Man for being WAY too easy an alt win (See: Coalition Victory is banned, Helix Pinnacle is not)
Unban... do I have to? Sundering Titan is probably my pick. OK, it's oppressive as shit if spam recurred and in MP you'll probably never have to hit your own stuff, but it's tame compared to other borderline bans like Sylvan Primordial and while it weirdly punishes basics while leaving a good chunk of strong nonbasics intact, I do appreciate how it clobbers decks harder the more colors they have.

Maybe black braids but she is pretty stupid in the command zone.

>the city of me
I just meant black. Blue can do just about everything outside of "destroy target artifact". I was thinking about enchantments for some reason.

Really, you could just run Killswitch or what have you to keep it locked out. Enchantments on the other hand...

>And compared to any of the three, Ashnod's (and expensive cousin Phyrexian) Altar is fucking tame.
I understand your opinion, but I run a really degenerate ghave deck. While I can combo off with other things, ashnods always makes it easier. Krak clan ironworks is a pretty good substitute, but dedicated artifact combo decks are a lot less prevalent than the creature based variety.

>ban combo players from playing their decks but don't ban the objectively most broken card legal in EDH!!!

>(You)
Pretty low effort, I can give you a 2/10, but it's just pity points to make you feel better

There's nothing wrong with combos, I play a variety of combo decks, but specifically I was talking about top tier competitive combos. You could get rid of those cards and the average player wouldn't even notice they're gone. Sol ring is just colourless mana. Bads think any mana is good, people who actually play magic know colourless is trivial to get, coloured mana is what pays the bills.

Veeky Forums being completely retarded about the banlist again
Awesome start to the thread you guys

It's always the same two fags, they don't even talk about magic. They just come here to shitpost.

I don't know why they couldn't go somewhere else

Now that JtMS is unbanned how many of you are gonna sell the copy you have in EDH to make a brand new EDH deck?

Welcome to Veeky Forums.

>Thread Question
Ban Paradox Engine
Unban Sundering Titan

>What one card would ytou ban and what one card would you unban?
Ban Mana crypt unban biorythm
Easiest question ever

>What is doomsday
That would be on theme for the RC
>identity problem
>Ban a non-offending card
The card that needs to go is Labman

Ban Nothing
Unban Leovold

Simple. Everyone is a faggot who bitches to much when they lose.

>Mana Crypt

What? You got a problem with fast mana son?

Basically what the other reply said. Surefire way to get (you)s

>Ban Paradox Engine
We likely will see this happen within the next year it's really just too good
>Does you commander have a tap ability?
>Congrats play rocks and Win the game

>Zero Mana
>Produce 2
>What's the problem here

But it has an actual drawback. And you literally can't play it in any other format.

There is no problem, there is the risk of life loss involved you flaming fuck.

Or have you just been destroyed by a piece of cardboard so much you have to post about it on anime websites everytime it comes up?

If you want to have so much fast mana, why don't you just remove mana from the game altogether? Make it so everyone has infinite mana from the start instead of playing "but it isn't yugioh".

But it is different! In yugioh, you just shit out a bunch of cards and combo your way to victory on turn 1~2 instead of 2~3! Mtg requires much more skill and money.

>1.5 life per turn is a drawback
Holy fuck tg is bad at magic

As a player of both games I can say that your a giant fucking faggot, stop being asshurt over a artifact lol.

>He hasn't played against food chain or labman

Is your meta baby tier? Food chain is absolutely one of the most busted cards since with certain commanders it's a one card infinite. Labman is just the easiest combo wincon with druid, bluesun yourself, mill etc etc

That desperate, huh?

It is. Is it a big drawback? No, not really, but assuming evenly matched decks, it can really bite you in the butt.

So you can ban sol ring so that every one has to shell out for mana crypt instead, Righto

I guess you plan on actually addressing blues bullshit access beforehand and reprinting Savannah, Ancient Tomb, Bazaar of Baghdad, Gaea's Cradle, Volcanic Island, shock lands, etc, because Sol being widespread is what closes the opportunity gap in even attempting to compete in edh. It wouldn't even improve diversity, simply widen the disparity between oldfags and newfags.

>sol ring banned, but not mana crypt
I think they want both banned m8. Considering that they already officially banned the best moxes, there aren't many fast mana artifacts left.

This is a reasonable point.

Very easily I can shit out mana but if you're playing with cards from origins to now, you're going to have a bad time. Sol ring does next to nothing for a good deck after a few turns, but when rampant growth is too strong for standard, it really helps out those potatos.

Some cards should be left for Vintage only. There is no reason to give more reason for the restricted list to be even crazier.

>Some cards should be left for Vintage only.
This is why we're playing commander; there's no where else to use most of those cards. It's only very very recently that casuals decided this is the go-to format for new players. It started off as a format for judges to play their giant collection of unplayable jank.

You're just upset because you're late to the party and have to spend money instead of time.

I feel edh is basically a variation on vintage, but I fail to see how removing sol or mana vault is going to improve the environment. They aren't the core of any problems and are actually quite tame by mana ramp standards, they're simply more accessible. Something which is already pretty lacking.

To me is even worse. I only own a few of the expensive cards, so either I don't have enough to compete against the big guns, or I have to take them out to not massacre the new players. And boy, a single cradle is enough to make a huge impact in the game.

I'm a bit mad that 2 of my best cards are now banned(moxes), but if they want to level the playground because people can't just talk it out, ban the whole list.

What one card would ytou ban and what one card would you unban?

Ban- Homeward path.
Unban- Nothing

>how to spot a blue player
Probably ban Pyroblast and REB too right?

>Homeward path
I don't even see that card played

>homeward path
Did blatant thievery not go well last time?

>Ban- Homeward path
you play red? this is like a blue wanting to ban pyroblast lol

It's a "my acquaintance played that card against me and I'm mad" episode.

In this general it'd go something like;
>I think we should ban Pyroblast because it counters force of will
>what do you mean that's stupid, do you know how expensive force of will is?!

Ban: Labman

Prejudice ban: Notion Thief

Unban: Nothing. Can't think of anything on the list that could be unbanned without being pointlessly broken.

Yeah but this general is full of spastic cunts.

Fuck off Kermitfag

Labman is easy to kill, nothing wrong with him.

Suck muh dick!

>what is doomsday

To be fair, Homeward Path is an abortion of design: the no-cost hate that keeps on hating.

We don't ban cards for being abominations of design, though, because if we did there would be a whole lot of them in line for the guillotine ahead of Homeward Path including Chains, Ice Cauldron, Raging River, Camouflage, (a bunch of other old cards with absolutely retarded oracle text) all the Partners, everything with Banding, and probably half of the Kamigawa block.

>what are counterspells

seriously do you niggers even edh? holy shit.

I would ban Phelddagrif just to piss off group hug faggots.

Unban Prophet of Kruphix because it's an even dumber ban than Coalition Victory

>We

Fuck off WOTC nobody likes you.

>counterspells
>EDH
>thinking you will have them when you need them
lel

>he doesn't like Chains
>he doesn't love it when someone else plays a Chains with your Chains so someone has to discard 2 to draw 1

Chains is a great card but that wording is a fucking mess.

>he doesn't run forbid with buyback

Because that's not going to get fucked with you retarded scum fuck.

This. Stuff like sol ring, mana crypt, cradle, and mishra workshop should be banned because of how strong they are, and this has no bearings on their price.

You seem upset.

>not running Yawgmoth's Will, Snapcaster and Kess

seriously bro, your playing EDH wrong.

>how to spot someone who never lived under a "literally 9/10 decks are simic because of prophet" meta
The most overused color doesn't need something that powerful. Simicfags are unbearable as it is, and they used to be worse.

>all of that graveyard manipulation

who's the general?

You're fucking retarded. Have you ever played EDH?

>how to spot someone who never played in a meta with good removal spells
The "add more removal" meme isn't a meme. It's good advice and most of you retards don't take it.

guessing your a poorfag.
It's a Nekuzar wheel deck with a alternate doomsday labman wincon.

If my deck is 100% counterspells, I always will.

Boring and gay.
Set fire to your deck and then to yourself.

>not running land destruction

Nekuzar is overrated, make something else.