/gengen/ - Genesys General

By The Book Edition

>What is Genesys?
Released in November 2017, Genesys is a pen-and-paper generic system and toolkit by Fantasy Flight Games, using a refined version of the system presented by their Star Wars RPGs (Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, Force and Destiny). Its central mechanic is the Narrative Dice System, using pools made of specialized dice to create more narrative results.
fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/genesys/

>Realms of Terrinoth, the first official setting supplement, to be released Q2 2018
fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/1/9/realms-of-terrinoth/

>Player-made Genesys settings
pastebin.com/7knE7KSv

>Online Extras
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/329635601945067522/392866714544766976/genesys_character_sheet_fillable.pdf - Fillable Character Sheet
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/329635601945067522/386612561115611137/genesys_setting_worksheet_fillable.pdf - Fillable Setting sheet
genesys.skyjedi.com/ - Online Dice Roller
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/329635601945067522/392867516583510017/0.9.5.pdf - Cheat sheet
sendspace.com/file/6b6bat - A PDF of something
docs.google.com/document/d/1K0BVQxmZTMn8XFovHPCjubK7H-qZDWRSC9QR_2E683I - Special Rules (From Star Wars to Genesys)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Qy33uMm1FqQJPD8W-p5aXM5XHNwsU4126JgJ91LsIfE/edit#gid=644202127 - Some new spells
community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/265863-genesys-talents-expanded/ - Talent Super Repository

>Discord Server
discord.gg/3vNJa6t

>FFG Community Forums
community.fantasyflightgames.com/forum/527-genesys/

Previous Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

afterseven.s3-website-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/#/gen/pc
fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/1/9/realms-of-terrinoth/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How easy is it to piece a setting together?

Depends on how much work you want to do. Filling out the setting sheet and shoving in gear options was enough for me to get going.

can you add talent catalog, career generator, race generator, item generator and player generator . you can create wtf you want.

Are you referring to something specific?

this is the link

afterseven.s3-website-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/#/gen/pc

Oh, that tool. It's neat for what it does.

Ooh, not bad. This'll definitely make it easier to get one of my more obstinate friends to give the system a chance.

Anyone hear rumours on the next setting book?

Im hoping it will be Android. Planning on taking the Gank species and using it as modded human if FFG does not.

FFG is on record somewhere saying they want to do books for Android and Twilight Imperium. The Runebound book (RoT) already looks like a home run if you need more meat on your fantasy bones.

I'm confident it'll be Android. Given the short turnaround from the fantasy supplement's announcement to it being shipped, I wouldn't be surprised if we see it out by November.

Asked yesterday and no one had a good answer.

Are there any good settings out at the moment? I guess I could make my own... hmm....

>fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/1/9/realms-of-terrinoth/
First one is on the way.

Well, what are you looking for in a setting? Is there something you don't see in the OP you want done?

Generally I like most things so I was wondering what might stand out among the homebrew settings out atm. If no particular one stands out then i assume it'll just take more time.

Jesus Christ there's a collection of links to homebrew settings in the fucking OP. Read a fucking thread before posting in it.

So someone's already written an adventure for Genesys: Croaking Sirocco

It's up over on DrivethruRPG, downloading it now.

Im asking to be spoon fed which one of those is good, not which ones EXIST. Has anyone even played a damn game in any setting?

From what I can tell no one has played the game to recommend anything except maybe the fallout setting (and I guess the Shadowrun one which everyone said sucks).

I guess EotE exists.

The Fallout, Dark Heresy, and Mass Effect writeups look pretty solid, though I haven't played any of them yet.

Avatar is pretty solid from what I've read, haven't played it yet.

The Eberron conversion is good too.

I'm converting my 5e setting over after running a one-shot with my group. Don't know if I'll share it or not, though.

We don't know your tastes, user. We don't know what "stands out" to you.

Who would have guessed that a toolkit system that makes GMs build every aspect of their entire campaign and setting from the ground up wouldn't have a ton of people playing it after being out for like a month.

Two months.

Either way I guarantee you the people who have written any halfway decent settings so far were already familiar with the system via Star Wars so were able to just dive into homebrewing right away.
You're not going to start seeing a lot of comprehensive settings trickle in for at least another couple of months, and even then a lot of people new to the system are probably just going to be playing RoT.

Once people get more official examples of how to do things, I'm sure there will be much more custom builds to come. Not to discredit the core book, mind you.

Give me three good reasons why I should play this over Savage Worlds, GURPS, FATE, or PBTA.

No.

Why not? Is there anything that it offers that those systems don't? If not, why not play them? Savage Worlds is certainly cheaper, as is FATE. And GURPS Lite is free.

Genesys has the FFG Star Wars games to claim as direct lineage, and what they do with their specialty dice is pretty great as well.

I don't suppose just trying it would be sufficient?

The system doesn't require the players to have as much of a sense for storytelling as other games with a narrative bent.

The dice do the heavy lifting without the system also binding you to sometimes frustrating resolution or storytelling mechanics to codify additional outcomes, which is what seems to be what goes sidways for people who don't like Fate Core or PbtA. It has player-steered resolution, and fail-forward elements, without as much chance of a gear in the works.

The dice also take a lot of the onus off of the need for the setting to be fine-tuned and totally plotted out when it comes to what options or mechanics might be in play (which is the biggest plus for me). Just by being able to know appropriate ways to spend advantage/disadvantage from a dice roll you're doing the important bits to build up the setting as the game moment to moment, without having to build anything or curate other options or resources.

The Story Point pool being a shared resource, with the 'tug of war' aspect where spending them gives them to the GM, makes them more meaningful and palpable in the tone of the game. The PCs spending a few in a row as a player feels triumphant, but as GM you can hold onto them to create a sense of foreboding--there's a menacing feeling in the air in the fiction, this tension where you know the other shoe's gonna drop.

No. You're not interested in anything but baiting an argument.

tl;dr - Genesys's greatest asset is the dice themselves, as they facilitate the narrative better than anything else out there. Special mention goes to how Story Points are managed.

Pretty much yeah, I'm really interested to hear how a session has run with all thst in play.

>I wouldn't be surprised if we see it out by November
Im hoping for mid summer, If they keep the pressure up they can shoot genesys up my calling in a cyberpunk crowd to a unique IP.

Should be neat, I know my next couple days off Ill probably start working on my homebrew.

What sort of brew?

Focus on survival and hunting mechanics along with some crafting. A big portion of the game is geared at not dying to,the wilds so I plan to expand beyond 'roll survival'

Cool stuff user. Be sure to post your content for us all. I am thinking of a survival setting myself (based of Ark) and would like to eye over your ideas.

I had my first session of the game last week and having a 2nd tomorrow. The first game went pretty damn great. The narrative dice really helped players who don't usually RP to add to the flow of events and even created extra plot hooks for me to work on in later sessions. The power of systemizing roleplaying cannot be understated, everyone is always comfortable with being asked "what does your character do" and rather than feeling like they're put on the spot they feel like they're just playing a game, resolving the dice.
I barely used story points, but Im hoping to give them more of a focus tomorrow.

>Ark
The dinosaur game?

What's your campaign about?

>tl;dr - Genesys's greatest asset is the dice themselves
Do they have the same distribution of symbols as the star wars dice? Can I use my star wars dice for a genesys game?

You tell me. From what others say, it's about the same.

With that I can compare, thanks. Will get on it now.

>The power of systemizing roleplaying cannot be understated
I think in Genesys's case, it takes pressure off the players (GM included) because instead of having to come up with stuff on the spot, the dice give you the results, and you work with the info you're provided to roleplay from there. The dice basically give you more to work with.

Yep, just replaced the symbols

What other homebrew settings are currently in the works? I'm trying to find something sci-fi or sci/fantasy in general but wouldn't mind contributing to it to get a feel of how to weapons, magic, setting difficulty and using talents works so I can sit down and come up with something myself.

We're still figuring things out ourselves, if the settings in the OP pastebin are any indication. Trust me, people will be much more confident in their setting builds once the Runebound, Android and Twilight Imperium books drop.

Yeah, that's why I've been going through them to see what they've done. I've never played Starwars and have only listened to a few games in APs but primarily i'm the faggot who occasionally brings up destiny so I'm kind of hoping to piggy back off of what's been made to figure this stuff out.

Then again, seeing the settings homebrewed so far I'd also try and figure out how to do Resident Evil as well which seems a bit more tame and accessible then Destiny.

Resident Evil would be plenty manageable in this system, I reckon.

Indeed, not to mention there's plenty of shit to do that doesn't involve the main casts as RE7 seems to indicate that BOW production is alive and well in 2017

Would you vastly emphasize encumberance thresholds and provide arcane and arbitrary puzzles?

Its modern day paranormal investigations, based pretty heavily on the Hellboy and BPRD setting, with the main characters mostly replaced by the PCs.

Yeah its a neat system in that way. I think having a "Default" way to spend advantage is what sets it apart from similar dice based RP systems, by introducing a default players never feel entirely pressured and as a result are actually more likely to do things outside of the default. You could probably write a psych paper on why it works so welll

Only what makes sense. If you're in a place with just your nice cloths I don't think your pants pockets are going to be able to hold 40 rounds of shotgun ammo on top of the 4 guns you've collected thus far.

RE:0 actually does sort of a good job of this where you can't carry everything you collect but have to prioritize and leave some items in a safe spot.

As for the puzzles. Only a few would be actually as crazy as the games but the rest would be what I would imagine to be sensible at least

>There is a key missing and typically the head security guard has it on his person. Oh wait, we bashed his braiins in a few floors down...Fuck why didn't we check him?"

Advantage/Threat/Triumph/Despair in itself is a big deal, because it provides much more nuance than a simple "you pass/fail by this magnitude," not just by letting things happen on the side but actively facilitating them. It was mentioned in the last thread that in many other systems, people will think of cool stuff to do during combat and similar, but when asked to roll a check for it, they'll pass and say it's not worth the trouble. In the FFG systems, the dice actively facilitate those cool things happening ON TOP OF what you were originally planning to do, whether it works for or against you. Spending a Triumph to "do something crucial" like shoot out the controls to a blast door to prevent enemy reinforcements coming is immensely satisfying, and that's before you get into the original combat check you were doing.

There's an ancient hack of AFMBE for Resident Evil that was made years and years ago, I think before even RE4 was released called Umbrella Assault, that has a neat concept. Basically STARS survivors and possibly some affiliated anti-Umbrella civilians go attack a bigass Umbrella base under Paris. Of course with an actual canon resolution to Spenser and Wesker and all them it doesn't line up with the later games, but it's still fairly detailed of a campaign idea.

Yeah, Wesker was essentially the penultimate badguy of RE but you have plenty of mooks and other enemies to pick from if the movies are to be considered;

Nation states vying for BOWs of their own, Crime bosses with their own pet monsters in their basements, some former umbrella researcher who got the fuck out of dodge with a few bits of research and made their own thing, etc, etc

What about a Renaissance-era pseudo-fantasy rendition of roughly the same story?

In the SoulCalibur universe, the Evil Seed being unleashed in 1584 causes chaos across Eurasia, with people turning to madness and stories of cities turning into ghost towns overnight. One guy theorized a campaign about a group of people inside one of these madhouse cities trying to escape to safety. You get your survival action, but the added pleasure of substantial melee combat as well.

Sounds like the Plagas. Imagine being some nobles and church officials who go and deal with that shit

It's less a parasite and more "literally evil cancer" that can later turn people into monsters if it gets out of control. Malfestation takes different forms.

I actually never really heard of it until recently. Is that why crazy bitch (your pic) is some kind of immortal assassin monster without having a piece of Soul Edge inside of her?

Even if you just stick to canon, the BSAA is active on every continent and aside from their tacticool assault units have investigative agents that work in small (Or very small) groups, such as Chris and Sheva in 5. The African BSAA was in 5, the North American BSAA was in 6, presumably because the Asian and European branches are underfunded and don't have tactical teams. I don't think that there's any word on the SA branch.

Yep. Tira is basically Soul Edge's number-one cultist, anyway, so she received the weapon's "blessings" in order to enact its will (read: reap souls). She finds kinship in the blade, as they both only know how to be weapons and how to kill others.

To be clear, the overall phenomenon is called "Malfestation," and those affected by it are known as "Malfested." Malfestation can be cleansed or warded against, but in specific ways like Kilik's Dvapara-Yuga. Of course, not everyone is malfested anyway.

I wouldn't think the European one is underfunded considering Chris lead a unit of BSAA agents in a civil war going on in bumfuck slav country but it would be cool to revist Europe and South America again and possibly some random south east asian country for shits and grins

So what exactly is the end goal? I think it it was in 5 where we find out that Soul Calibur wants to encase the world in crystal or some shit?

Yeah, it's pretty nice. I was very skeptical of the dice at first, but after running the Edge of the Empire starter kit, with everyone having had such a fun time, I thought about it and realized how clever it really is.
I love that the dice actually roll on 2 axes at once, and that each die sways the probabilities in a sensible but still veiled way. That sort of little mystery contributes a lot to results being just predictable enough to feel confident in taking action but without anything seeming rote or obvious, which also makes big failures seem less out of nowhere or like you were betrayed by the dice. It also helps make sure the descriptive elements don't get washed out or left behind, because there's less opportunity to fixate on hard numbers. You don't have 'blind sniper' situations, or people stepping outside of the flow of the game to try and conspire to add the right sort of bonuses to cheese a specific interaction.

I also noticed that you're about as likely to fail as succeed in a relatively challenging difficulty for your skill level, but you're still more likely to get at least one or two extra Advantage, so you're virtually never sitting on your hands. At the very least you'll get a little bit of Stamina back, keeping you in the fight and able to engage with other things or your own abilities.
Plus, you get to have more say in your character's missteps when your actions do veer South, which takes a lot of the sting out of it. You're a part of the dramatic turns, rather than feeling like the butt of a joke.

Soul Edge wants to reap all souls and become all powerful. It won't stop until all souls are consumed or servants to its power.
Soul Calibur wants to stop Soul Edge, and it doesn't care how it does it. It won't stop until Soul Edge is destroyed.

One of Soul Calibur's plans was to starve Soul Edge of souls, even if that means encasing all life in crystal. It'll also encase its wielder in crystal if it thinks they're being a punk bitch who can't get the job done.

Fortunately, Soul Calibur 6 is coming and will be a soft reboot and a retelling of SoulCalibur 1, so don't worry too much about that last bit. All you have to know is that to the population at large, there's a super-legendary weapon out there somewhere in the world, and people want to find it for different reasons.

SoulCalibur 1, or SoulBlade/Edge? Because those are two very different things.

SC1. Nightmare is a thing, and Sophitia is alive, well, and without children.

The dice symbols, if you noticed in , are weighted in a way that ever so slightly favors success and advantage.

One thing I'm, workimg towards st least in my head is basically a structured hunting mechanic in which there's two phases, the first being the tracking phase where players can wear a critter down/get it into a favorable location. And the second is the hunt proper where the party has to face down their quarry. Depending on what they are facing it might be able to act multiple times per round not sure how. Bad thst breaks things though.

That'd be pretty nutty, giving an animal multiple actions.

Yes. Not Dinos however. Various sized mystical creatures based off of Wood Splitter Lee Cross's work. Same deal with resource gathering, base building, animal taming, and adventuring/lore building.

Solid idea, Look forward to seeing it. Im in charge of the pastebin, if you have a link to a PDF or google doc I might make another bin for special rules.

Thought: Even though Genesys is a known descendent of the Star Wars RPGs and uses the same dice, FFG will not reinstate the Force dice (mentioned in ) as a mechanic in future iterations of the rules. Not everyone has experienced the Star Wars games, and they've already got a functional system with the core six dice, so they won't force newcomers to the FFG RPGs to get this extra set of specialty dice just for this one subset of rules that may or may not come back.

Y/N

Adding even more special dice that are sold separately on top of the base set of special dice that are sold separately would actually be an undefendable move.

>It's DRM for your DRM!

>Rolling Astrocartography

So I'm getting one free expensive item to start out with, what should my assassin/gageteer take?

What can they get from any regular shop that they don't need to call in a "special favor" to get? What's your assassin/gadgeteer's general modus operandi when on a job, and what can you think of that helps you do your job imminently better?

I feel I should have pointed out that the DM intends this to generally be a low resource game.
>What's your assassin/gadgeteer's general modus operandi when on a job
The plan is to shoot things, I haven't played any TTRPGs that arn't fantasy settings prior to this game so shooting stuff should be fun.
>and what can you think of that helps you do your job imminently better?
I'm looking at the mandalorian armor.

Oh, you're playing a Star Wars game?

AOR as the core book but stuff from any of the books are cool.

>le special dice is DRM meme
FFG openly supports and promotes free dice rollers and even made print it yourself sticker sheets for their dice systems. It’s not “DRM” if they actively tell you how to work around it.

The Star Wars titles in particular are out of my expertise, unfortunately.

Ask in /swg/, we constantly could use an excuse to actually talk about star wars Veeky Forums.

It is but, I also imagine that if most encounters are 3v1 it quickly becomes a stale situation by giving it the ability to act multiple times it means its a credible threat to s group. Mind you this is still in the formative state.

So give them animals that act in packs or something. Or give them different job: one lures the best into the trap that another has to trigger.

That's an option as well but again it's also s matter of action economy. You boil it down there's always going to that extra edge. Ill cold trial it well before I try something like it honestly.

So, is there more tactical rules for combat or is it now theater of the mind?

TOTM. Nothing has changed form star wars

Several questions regarding the system.

Is the system abstract, is combat fast-paced, is it simple, is it modular and highly customizable?

Would you run a Call of Cthulhu style setting with Genesys? Is there a sanity mechanic or would you have to homebrew one yourself? Any bestiary resources?

Why so hostile?

>I don't suppose just trying it would be sufficient?
For 75 bucks? Uhhhh....

I believe there is a sanity mechanic already, but it wouldn't be hard to cook one up and maybe have it work like Critical wounds do except with strain.
Not much outside of SW sadly for resources though at this moment.

>Is the system abstract
Relatively. One roll is enough to succeed or fail in most actions, no drawn out skill checks.
>is combat fast-paced, is it simple
Yes and yes. The hard part is the initial learning curve of how to spend advantage, triumph, disadvantage and despair.
>is it modular and highly customizable?
Yes, there's a lot of optional rules tacked into the final chapter for things like vehicle combat, superheroes, hollywood hacking and horror.
>Would you run a Call of Cthulhu style setting with Genesys? Is there a sanity mechanic or would you have to homebrew one yourself?
One of the aforementioned resources added on at the end is a CoC style Sanity meter. You could expand on it further,as right now it's just two or so pages on advice to run horror and the fear/sanity meter.
>Any bestiary resources?
So far just fanwork, the upcoming splat is fantasy but it ought to introduce new content to aid in NPC building.

This guy covers most of the bases.

So, what setting would people be excited to see come out in,genesys?

People will inevitably try to adapt their favorite IP to the system and see how well it works. I want to see that Titanfall build in the pastebin improved, but I also want to see some urban fantasy or something like a more palatable Shadowrun (cyberpunk-fantasy, I guess).