Mass teleport

>Mass teleport
>Wizard can teleport ten thousand soldiers or Goblins behind enemy lines or city walls

Uhh..guys..
How do we deal with this?

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/npc-s/npc-1/town-guard-human-warrior-2/
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You can't on any real large scale, which is why a "realistic" approach to a world that works by D&D rules results in tiny city-states ruled over by wizard-kings.

SEE: Tippyverse.

>inb4 Veeky Forums complaints department, AKA the No Fun Patrol.

What system gives Mass Teleport a capacity of 10,000 creatures? Most instances I can think of are significantly less.

Sadly, depends on the setting . However, anti-magic shielding, walls of forces (I believe they stop people from teleporting through), have ColdSteel teleport behind the wizard and kill him before he mass teleports? God damn, how the fuck do you people deal with playing WotC D&D This is why the only D&D I've played is AD&D 1e

>Level 7 wizard/sorcerer spell
>O(10) people in the world able to cast it
When you remember that 6th level is around peak human, a lot of the crazy stuff at the higher levels becomes justified by being extremely rare.

Tear down every wall

More like the kings are educated about politics and strategy first and foremost, with maybe some magic experience.

They have an advisor for magic who specializes on magic in the warfront, as well as maybe some domestic magical policies. Perhaps two Court Wizards.

Teleportation wards, illusions to fool divinations, anti-magic protection.
Alternatively, ignore/houserule away that possibility completely if you don't want to deal with it, or play a different game that you would enjoy more.

Hmm, that's actually a good point. Greater Teleport is capped at one creature per three caster levels. Teleportation Circle allows as many as you can fit inside a 5-foot circle.

Thank you for being intelligent. Some how everyone that I've met, mind you that's played WotC D&D thinks level 6 and higher wizards are super common.

>Wizard ascends to level 7
>Casts clone self
>Clones cast clone self
>ad infinitum

Uh...guys..?

This. I hate when fucking pretenders who have never rolled a dice in the system in question pretend to be old hands.

Have the king pay a wizard money to enchant the gate and walls so any magical transportation into the city gets moved outside the city. So if you teleport into the city you get moved behind it.

Good military training and sending them in in waves. This way, any teleported-in forces get sandwiched between two army fronts.

Also, to counter portin inside city walls, just leave two regiments guarding the most open areas and one dispersed to watch over the streets.

Every system has loopholes.
For example, in Dungeons and Dragons you can get the thousands of soldiers to march into a Bag of Holding. After that, all you need to do is teleport the bag, something very many wizards can do.

>Egos collide over a dispute over who the "Prime Wizard" is.
>The clones then murder the fuck out of each other.

Yes loopholes exist, but this thread isn't about those loopholes in general, but in the specific spell - which doesn't behave as described.

If you get into loopholes, wizards of sufficient can end the world, no questions asked.

Incidentally, the most recent instance of a bag of holding can hold up to 500 lbs, which is what, 2 well-geared soldiers?

Admit it. You don't play these games at all.

There is no air in a Bag of Holding, you mutant.

Isn't there a goblin feat that let a bunch occupy the same square?

What is "clone self"? Link to srd please, cause if you mean "clone" that's not only an 8th level spell, but doesn't create concious copies of the caster. They're more like failsafes.

You do know that bags of holding have a limit to how much they have. Thousands of soldiers would rip the bag and they would all be gone. No soul, no bodies, just oblivion. If the soldiers didn't rip the bag, they would suffocate to death. One person in a bag of holding has ten minutes of air, how long do you think ten people have? One hundred? I concur with , pretenders are fucking pathetic. Go drink some bleach buddy, you'd do the world a favor.

Yep, this is correct. That isn't even taking into account the space limitations, or the 10-minute suffocation time. From experience, 10,000 well-trained soldiers take a hell of a lot longer than 10 minutes to enter a hatch.

>There is no air in a Bag of Holding, you mutant.
No worries. Every soldier is equipped with a long straw.

>bag of holding can hold up to 500 lbs
This can be countered by pouring a featherfall potion into the bag.

You're a fucking retard buddy. Bait better, not harder next time.

So basically you're just being a dumb cunt. Thanks for admitting it.

>SELF REPLICATING PIT TRAPS

That wouldn't work. Featherfall doesn't reduce the mass/weight of a soldier, and even if it did, the cost of having that temporary boon would be ineffective, not to mention the risk of if wearing off while they are still in the pocket plane.

To be fair, I think a reason for this is the levels for NPCs back in 3.pf. When town guards are running around started as like 6-10'th level you figure that's just some kind of norm.

>Town guards
>Level 6-10
>In 3.PF
Nigga, you lie. Town guards are generally lvl 2 martials.
Source: d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/npc-s/npc-1/town-guard-human-warrior-2/

Could we build giant cannons that shoot portals to volcanoes?

>behind city walls

Fantasy cities don't usually have a lot of space. Even the most open ones are going to have less space than wherever you'd collect an army like that to begin with, usually. If we assume that the spell automatically moves its subject aside if they'd end up teleporting into a solid object, a lot of soldiers are still going to end up suddenly crammed into tight spaces with limited entrance/exit points. If the wizard had to pack his soldiers as close to him as possible to perform the teleportation, then the problem becomes much worse, as the new space taken up by solid objects at their destination will push the arriving soldiers even closer together. The amount of automatic moving the spell would have to do at your destination will break up all your formations, and a ton of your soldiers are going to get stuck in one place while they wait for each other to move in and out of doors to regroup or move towards their objectives. Local defenders standing on the walls would be able to fire down into their mass and cause massive casualties.

Cities in such settings would probably have all their houses rigged to be collapsible or easily set on fire in a way that won't spread easily, and an array of internal walls and watchtowers so that arriving teleportation armies can be quickly slaughtered.

What is with all the newfags in this thread that don't play along. Do you actually feel smart? You realize we're all pretending when we say D&D is a bad system right? If we actually thought it was bad we wouldn't all play it!

At least play along with OP

>Mass teleport
>Wizard can teleport ten thousand soldiers or Goblins BACK behind their lines or city walls
Answered yourself there.

>Tippyverse.
Blech

I always just deus vult all the wizards i meet. There's only so many and I think my god might let me live forever if i kill enough of em.

Just looked up the spell text on 5e and two things immediately leapt out at me.

1) It says you create a 10 foot sigil and a five foot portal opens over it for one round.

2) You need a destination sigil. It has to be permanent. You have to know it. I could see this being a large wooden plank/shield, or perhaps canvas.

This has lead me to a conclusion: it is the ultimate infiltration tool for a kingdom or common race home. Make a gift of a wall hanging or tapestry with the painted destination sigil behind it, sell a piece of art to the liege lord or house's majordomo, then plop in at the middle of the night in the great hall or storeroom or where the fuck ever.

So it's civil war then.

Kill the wizards.

>At least play along with OP
Take the (You) and fuck off.

>not teleporting ten thousand wizards behind enemy lines

> only the most civil, suh
> why, i only commision the finest art to hide my murder portals
> assassination is a game of gentlemen

>Wizard teleports your castle into another castle

Huh....?

Yes, dnd magic is fucking stupid.

hmm maybe masquerade as a mason and create intricate and beautiful stone floor designs and hide your destination sigils in there?

>OP teleports his cock up his ass

You got me user, it's Literally impossible to play and no one does.

>not becoming a major retailer of fine hand crafted furniture and furnishings that everyone from high nobility down to the lowliest common wants a piece of
>not making every single table, curtain, rug, or couch have the sigil underneath it
>not using this to stage a coup using high mobility guerilla warfare with shortcuts
>not using your existing network to carve the sigil basically anywhere else they can during the mayhem like under manhole covers or on the walls or alleys, hayloft roofs, bartops, the stall doors, house doors, roofs, your mother's ass cheek, that one chicks forehead, Michael Jordan's shoe sole, anything and everything big enough to support the sigil
>not using the new network to quell dissenters or upstarts after you have control of the city and have taken head of government
>not rolling out SS-tier special police who have the uncanny ability of ambushing your chosen enemies from basically anywhere
>not enjoying the look on the parties faces when their round table meeting to plan the new rebellion to topple your tyrannical reign ends when 100 something SS units hop out of the broom closet

You make magic an integral part of magic design. Castles are worth enough to incorporporate magic defences by default even if mages are rare. Same for warships.

>implying a Lord doesn't have his wizard detect and dispel magic on every gift he receives

>dispel magic on every gift he receives

>The explosion inside the gift is held in stasis until the enchantment is dispelled

>range 120 ft
no dice bucko

If it's a teleportation circle i am honestly unsure that you can dispell it. The sigil would have to be destroyed I think, which would require it to be found first.

Drink and eat a lot of beer, beans and cabbage.

Detect magic?

Why don't the court wizards seize power?

This is why you ban Teleport or make it an expensive ritual that requires expensive material components to cast. Therefore it is only useful for high level heroes who really really need to get somewhere fast. Or just ban it entirely. Teleport would obliterate the entire plot of Lord of the Rings. I think if a spell can make obsolete the entirety of a beloved fantasy story, it shouldn't be in the game. Fuck teleport. I use it as a GM for enemy wizards and it was the only time my players actually got frustrated at the game.

OP means teleportation circles.

I think that might work. The rules are pretty unclear on it but here is the spell for 5e:

As you cast the spell, you draw a 10-foot-diameter circle on the ground inscribed with sigils that link your location to a permanent teleportation circle of your choice whose sigil sequence you know and that is on the same plane of existence as you. A shimmering portal opens within the circle you drew and remains open until the end of your next turn. Any creature that enters the portal instantly appears within 5 feet of the destination circle or in the nearest unoccupied space if that space is occupied.

Many major temples, guilds, and other important places have permanent teleportation circles inscribed somewhere within their confines. Each such circle includes a unique sigil sequence—a string of magical runes arranged in a particular pattern. When you first gain the ability to cast this spell, you learn the sigil sequences for two destinations on the Material Plane, determined by the DM. You can learn additional sigil sequences during your adventures. You can commit a new sigil sequence to memory after studying it for 1 minute.

You can create a permanent teleportation circle by casting this spell in the same location every day for one year. You need not use the circle to teleport when you cast the spell in this way.

Wizards prefer to rule behind the throne on the rare occasions that they become interested in politics over magic.

>Teleport would obliterate the entire plot of Lord of the Rings.

Eh, yes and no. You could pull a Legend of the Five Rings (d20 version) and have Mordor be another plane of existence, just one that happens to be bounded on all sides and clearly visible from the Material Plane, and one you can walk to as easily as you might step across a stream.

Since it's another plane, Teleport would explicitly not work.

that's not an answer

But why?

>magical runes
Yeah i think a detect magic spell would work

Simple, plausible deniabilty

Because a level 7 mage is strong, but killing an army is pretty difficult. Not to mention very few would be as charismatic or trained from youth how to govern.

As a court wizard and adviser, they pretty much already have a large amount of power through suggestion, live lavishly, don't have to worry about if the tax rate on foreign good is too high, and can study all the books they want alone in their ivory towers. I'm sure there are magocracies, but one being ruled by one competent enough is so rare that there's probably one or two that exist before the king get's killed.

That's like asking why the magistrate or advisor doesnt just seize power. The answer is that some do. However, it is not always possible or even a good choice for some. Think of Jaffar from Disney's Alladin. He wants to take control. He certainly has the means to do so easily. Instead, he knows that if he just seizes it then it will never stick. There are rules for who gets to rule and who doesn't and even if you can attempt to change them using force there will be some who do not see you as a legitimate ruler. Instead, sometimes it is just a better option to bide your time and use your power to rule from behind.

I think you're right. That and having to cast it on the same spot for a year would really make the affected area infused magically. I just wish the rules were more clear on what is and isnt detected.

>That's like asking why the magistrate or advisor doesnt just seize power
because the magistrate or advisor doesn't have godlike power at his command

Yeah i struggle with that too, because it bleeds into whether monsters or npc's could be detectable

You put an anti mage EMP emitter.

Rather notably, Jafar DID seize control as soon as he had access to godlike power.

Mass teleportation like that is difficult. Requiring several thousand gp worth of rare ingredients to make the teleportation circle which requires renewal every day for a year to cement its permanence in the aether.

In order to teleport to a teleporation circle you need its very specific runes. Kind of a handshake protocol based on a) its absolute coordinates in the current plane, b) its relative placement in the wider planes and c) whatever gibberish you wish to addend to it as a form of security.

Beyond that, the teleportation circles are typically locked down, requiring a body on both ends to activate it, thus preventing shenanigans such as accidentally dropping a tribe of gobbos into baldurs gate or w/e.

My DM took teleportation circles and applied Stargate esque themes to them. This meant you could *try* to jump randomly, but in the unlikely chance you succeeded, it would probably go very, very poorly for you. Guarding our backdoors became a very important aspect of his campaign, in the end.

Its still open to abuse, but some common sense security steps ruled out the most overt ones.

That said, we still turned airships into combined bomber/aircraft carrier/troop transport for widescale combat using the tp rules. much fun was had.

oh yeah, major plot point we discovered. some VERY few teleportation circles have chronal runes, ie allowing to dip back into the past.

DM applied to the multiple time stream theory of time travel, so we couldnt affect OUR future, but we could create splinter futures.

And his illegitimacy was part of his downfall, albeit in a very Disney manner.

>And his illegitimacy was part of his downfall
no his illegitimacy had nothing to do with his downfall.

I usually just kind of skip on the rules for all of it and tell people trained in the arcane whether something is magical or not and leave it at that. Of course, what that magic is and to what extent is still left up for actual detection and identification but I really just kinda dislike the detect magic rules because of their vagueness coupled with the vagueness of some of the other rules.

Leopards on the inside of all our defenses.

This guy gets it.

Level 3 spell dimensional lock in a pit of lava. GG no RE

No, it's much better to bait harder and make it obvious than to actually try to be as annoying as possible.

Teleportation circles don't move armies of 10,000 either.

Design all of your cities to be densely packed so that most of the incoming force is displaced.

live in a place surrounded by Fazerez or antimagic zone.

Thanks for the (You) faggot. Now go back to praying that your school isn't next.

This is one of those threads I can't bring myself to read all the way through because there's too little knowledge and too little application of what knowledge is had. Yes, Teleportation Circle is a high level spell with costly components. That'll be a problem in Greyhawk, but Forgotten Realms and its dozens of level 15+ NPCS sitting on their literal hordes of ancient treasure would like to have a word with you, comrade. Eberron doesn't have as many high level (humanoid) NPCs, but the mark of Syberris allows similar bullshit. And Teleportation Circle has a duration of 10 min/CL, not one fucking round. Jesus.

Finally, here's a better example: You're at war with another nation and you pretend to surrender a border town. You cast Symbol of Persuasion on a sign posted inside the main gate of the city so that the conquering army coming through the gate will see it. Now they're all your friend for at least the next 110 minutes. You ask them all to get inside a big wooden feast hall you built just for your new friends with Fabricate. Once they're all inside you burn it down.

>wizards
>cooperating

Because a wizard can control your mind, influence you with altered appearances or illusions, show you falsehoods, claim to divine a future he has not seen, replace trusted courtiers with fakes, loyal guard with golems. Could you ever be loyal to a wizard who has already proven himself unable to be trusted by overthrowing someone else's rule? What good is a kingdom if literally no one in it is capable of trusting you or being loyal to you?

That's the point user. Imagine it. Ten thousand wizards all ornery as shit at being manhandled and shoved through a teleportaion spell with 9,999 idiots they can't stand ending up behind enemy lines who now have to worry about the soldiers coming to kill them.
They'll just start chucking spells in all directions in the magic equivalent of an all out nuclear war trying to be the last man standing.

I think dumb people need to stop designing magic systems.

How are you going to manhandle 10,000 wizards, as a mere wizard?

You get the martials to do it. They're stupid, plentiful, and replaceable.

>Teleportation Circle
>As you cast the spell, you draw a 10-foot-diameter circle on the ground inscribed with sigils that link your location to a permanent teleportation circle of your choice whose sigil sequence you know and that is on the same plane of existence as you. A shimmering portal opens within the circle you drew and remains open until the end of your next turn
>link your location to a permanent teleportation circle
>until the end of your next turn
It lasts six seconds, the target city needs a permanent teleportation circle, and you need to know the code.

>pouring a featherfall potion into the bag.
That just reduces falling damage, you gobshite. It's not going to reduce the weight of a thousand armed and armored soldiers by a significant amount, if at all.

>I could see this being a large wooden plank/shield, or perhaps canvas.
Preeeetty sure the destination sigil has to be of similar dimensions as the other sigil. I don't think you can just draw it on a shield unless it's an unfeasibly huge one.

>receive gift tapestry
>Court sorcerer tells me its another portal
>"hang it over the spike pit with the rest"

>Every system has loopholes.
>For example, in Dungeons and Dragons you can get the thousands of soldiers to march into a Bag of Holding.
You're fucking retarded and have never actually read the rules for a bag of holding n D&D (any edition).

Arguing, "Well, in MY homebrew setting and rules..." isn't a rebuttal to this statement because your argument is basically an appeal to authority and claiming that your homebrew rules trump expectations invalidates the base of your argument.

>DEEP STRIKING
Uhh..guys..

How many Wizards can cast Mass Teleport? It's rare for someone to even reach that level of power. That's like saying "What if the enemy army has a tactical nuke?"

Underrated post

>Cannons on ships
>Navies can destroy city walls from the safety of the sea

Uhh..guys..

Tippyverse only works if you ignore half of RAW, including material costs and make spells do things they're not actually intended to do and can only do with extensive houseruling