Dragonmech

So, anons. Do any of you have any experience with Dragonmech? The concept intrigues me, and I'm wondering what flaws others have noticed so I can fix 'em before I do wind up running a game.

It's a D&D 3.5 campaign setting, published by Goodman Games, for those uniformed. With mechs. And dragons.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cNtBXwWnBIY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Take the concept and run it in a different system. It just doesn't work in 3.5.

I always loved the fluff but yeah, the rules are total garbage.

Unfortunately, there aren't really any particularly good fantasy mech RPG's out there, especially ones which deal with both mech and personal scale simultaneously, which Dragonmech attempted to do.

Rules are ass, concepts kick ass.

Blanket "It's a bad system" statements do not aid me in understanding the issues with the rules that I'm considering using.

That's a shame. I'm mostly looking for something that'll at least work well enough to be tolerable.

Unfortunately, the other mech options I've seen are more focused on playing in the mechs, not... Well, as you said, being both mech and personal scale simultaneously.

I suppose modifying something to be fantasy instead of scifi would work, but I was hoping to find something halfway functional to start with.

Honestly, I've never actually seen a system that dealt with multiple scales simultaneously well, ever. A few have tried, but it never seems to work.

I have been toying with a basic idea for an RPG mechanic built around the idea of multiple PC's crewing a single vehicle, flexible enough that you could apply it to a tank, a mech or an air/space/naval ship, but I'm still in the very early concept stages of figuring out how it might look.

Played it a long time ago when it came out with a few friends of mine, we had fun. played it a bit more like a wargame with maps. I remember the hardness ac rules being a bit weird at the time, but we just ran with it.

The setting has a lot of cool ideas in it that I've stolen for other games later. Not so much the celtic mech ninja ronin kung fu though.

>being both mech and personal scale simultaneously
I legit like Chris Perrin's Mecha, think it does a decent job of integrating pilot and mecha abilities. Might be worth looking at. Its abstracted pretty hard so you might want to add some more parts. It does have a good grip on 'you're playing an anime about giant robots and feeeeeelings, but also have a tactical map.' somehow.

Any PDFs floating around for the setting?

I had a GM run it once... but the GM was iffy

Literally the first result on google.

I'm not sure on the amount of DM books there are, beyond the first. was hoping for a collection.

I think the request/share thread has a folder link in the archive? Its been a while since i got nostalgic and went looking for them. The main book is the best imo, thing get goofier and the splat books do that 3.pf thing where they just keep adding shit for its own sake.

I did like the Elven citymech a lot, this huge treemech thing which was incredibly powerful but was rapidly draining the elf kings near immortal lifespan to keep itself running.

Well its one of the few steampunk-esq settings I could tolerate, because giant robots and D&D
I've had a look, files deleted.

3.5 is pretty notorious on its own. Then you add in 3rd party designers and extra modules and it gets pretty messy.

Yeah, there were defs a few cool ideas in each of the other books. I liked the mech handbook with the weird dero temple mechs and suicide orc bomber mechs. Kind of wanted to riff on warhammer squats and have land trains of fucked up work/slave focused dwarves roaming around consuming as they went.

check the swords and sorcery trove, its in there.

Where can I find that?

The big red pdf in the OP of the share thread. ctrl-f is your friend.

Have you looked at Iron Kingdoms? My group and I had a pretty good campaign out of it. It's a easy to see it's tabletop skirmish roots, but aside from that, we really enjoyed it.

Do it in Mekton Z, it's still the best mecha game system out there.

IK is decent, but it also isn't really a mech RPG. Warjacks are cool but they have a very different set of themes and functions to mechs. The closest you get is the Manowar armour, which is basically just fantasytech power armour.

Fuck me dude I'm gonna need ten minutes to figure out how to download and decode this shit because I'm retarded.

If you want granular gritty numbers for everything stuff, sure. But there's a reason that kind of game is rather niche these days.

Its okay mans. Everyone has to learn stuff sometimes. Read the OP and first three or so posts, it ought to explain how to find what you want.

The second agents walkers was a good addition to the line, it gave a good history and outline of various factions and civilizations. As much as I hate steam punk, the concept of fighting moon dragons with giant fighting robots is cool as hell.

Man, I tried, but I couldn't find anything beyond the basic book.

Okay. So.
In the Curated Archive PDF, in the share thread, is a section labeled "Swords and Sorcery".
The link under "Swords and Sorcery" is in code. There are symbols that have close analogs to letters you may recognize.
"$" being s for example.
or being .

You can do it. All the free pdfs ever if you can do it.

>I was literally this retarded
Guess I'l kill myself now.

It happens. Everyone derps sometimes.

youtube.com/watch?v=cNtBXwWnBIY