Pauper General - MtG

Punishing Jund edition

Talk about your brews, ask for help, and give unwarranted autistic criticisms of decks that you don't understand.

NOT for pauper EDH

Help me test and work on this deck:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-02-18-punishing-jund/

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/grain-free-ponza/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/eggs-tron-2/
discord.gg/SjVQrTC
youtube.com/watch?v=OrQxp8syjS8
mtggoldfish.com/articles/instant-deck-tech-infinite-life-sultai-pauper
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-need-a-hero-mono-red-heroic/
mtggoldfish.com/deck/900622#online
mtggoldfish.com/deck/925980#online
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why lead a pauper discussion with an uncommon?

Anyone have experiance playing mono red stax?

I didn't (^:

I just prefer that card frame, for that card. Pic related

Some. It's a fun, but horribly inconsistent deck. Here's my list, NOT optimized, but probably a workable starting point:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/grain-free-ponza/

Some good $20/$30 deck suggestions? I'm thinking about
buying like 5/6 decks to play with some people and at my LGS.

Is Death Spark really good enough to pull you into 3 colour alone?

I've been playing Eggs Tron recently
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/eggs-tron-2/
based on a list someone else posted in the last thread. Alchemist's Vial feel like a huge improvement over Elsewhere Flask to me

Mono white heroic

Mono red heroic

Mono red stax

Mono green infect

Mono blue delver, cut gush/preordain

Mono red goblins

You more or less need both black and green if you want it to be consistent. Satyr Wayfinder and Commune with the Gods... You really only need two mountains, though. And it lets you play Ingot Chewer in the SB, which is a pet card of mine.

Tron's gr8 but not my cup of tea fampai. It and elves are my ragedecks in my local meta. Maybe someday I'll go to the dark side

another link to the discord i guess
discord.gg/SjVQrTC
also thoughts on this deck? looks interesting but I feel like it wouldn't be great for online since you can't just say "and I do that 1,000 times"
looks like the video itself caused a small spike in the online price
youtube.com/watch?v=OrQxp8syjS8
mtggoldfish.com/articles/instant-deck-tech-infinite-life-sultai-pauper

I feel like Eggs Tron is a little less rage inducing as its so fringe, but I can't pretend I don't get a little chub at my opponent's reaction to natural tron. But yeah, it doesn't play like normal tron at all, even if it shares a fair amount of cards.

I can get that, Ingot Chewer does do a lot of work with TorEx. Personally I like straight RB for TorEx, using discard to feed the yard rather than Satyr/Commune/Salvage

Mono black control, it's on jewtube and edhrec.

Crittering rats, sign in blood, merchant of asphodel, phyrexian rager ...

True. No tron variant will ever be as bad as teachings tron, I'll give you that

I'll probably play RB TorEx at some point. Putrid Imp is definitely a card, but the nice thing about Commune/Satyr is that they don't put you behind with card disadvantage. Satyr also naturally fixes the mana, and having green means enchantment removal in SB, which is also nice.

Is MBC viable without Oubliette? I played my non-spark jund midrange deck against it last night, and if the guy had used any other removal I would've won both games we played. The devotion is just so good...

I've been playing affinity and i'm sick of gorilla shaman. I get the reason for it, but it feels like everyone is running it, and it is just a 'have immediate hydroblast or lose' every time.

Is there any deck that doesn't have a giant kryptonite weakness like this? Something that has OK but not OP matchups across the meta.

(Not tron or familiars, i find the flicker-lock stuff way too tedious.)

MBC definitely loses a bit without oubliette for the devotion, but it doesn't make the deck worthless. Still plenty of removal

Affinity is absolutely broken, my man. That's why people run the hate. Atog and a million threats pooped out by turn 3 tends to make people who want to play magic seek ways to keep a game going, or prevent themselves from being hosed. Electrickery does the same thing against a lot of go-wide decks

Do you prefer linear decks or toolbox decks? Linear, mono white or mono red heroic are fantastic. Resilient to removal and edicts, smashes a lot of the popular decks.

I suppose so, just seems a lot harder to finish with Gary

Yeah I know. But i have a hardon for artifacts. I would play eggs if it was at all good.

Got a list for mono-red heroic? I've seen the white around but not a red version.

I'm playing on mtgo btw.

Oh I don't run Imp, I meant discard as in Faithless Looting, Tormenting Voice, Cathartic Reunion. Especially Faithless Looting, that card is basically enough reason to go red alone

I love Faithless Looting, but don't think it'd fit in the Spark deck. I'm replacing Night's Whisper with Looting in my midrange jund deck, tho

The interaction between Spark and freely discarding Faerie Macabre on top of it makes my Magic boner so hard, though...

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-need-a-hero-mono-red-heroic/

On mtgo, $30 will go a loooot farther, in general

Here's a good deck for online if you enjoy making people suffer
mtggoldfish.com/deck/900622#online

I seriously hope Flicker gets banned if paper pauper gets real steam as a format...

would goblin grenade or hymn to tourach be broken in pauper format?

Yes, both of them. We already have Fireblast to play around, 1 mana for 5 damage is too much.

Hymn is not that much better than wrench mind. I think it would make rack style black decks a little more viable but not broken.
Dunno about gobbos, but it looks pretty insane.

>hymn is not much better than wrench mind
Sorry, that's just not true. Wrench Mind sucks against tron and affinity, and against control, the player can discard lands, etc. With Hymn, you have a chance of getting their two best cards on turn 2. That's WAY above the curse for pauper.

Any MBC or UB deck would play 4 of them.

Play 4 of =! broken in the format.

Not saying it's not good, i'm saying it wouldn't break the format.

MBC is already tier one. How would hymn make the format better?

>cards arriving for Death Spark tomorrow
My body is ready to see the affinity player's face when he gets Ingot Chewer'd on t1/t2.

>MBC is already tier one
did i just step out of a time machine

What would you consider tier 1 decks in pauper, currently?

almost all delver variants are clearly the best
affinity
elves
most trons
maybe burn
aggro is too strong for control (much less one without blue) to be tier 1 i think

How does delver deal with heroic?

Borderland ranger is underrated desu

Satyr Wayfinder is better in most decks that want it. Filling graveyard is important.

That looks like a spicy brew. No Ash Barrens?

>Call of the Herd
You know that was never a common, right? Call of the Herd was a rare from the day it was printed. Don't cheat, user, you're better than that.

I've had wayfinders in, but they're more of a graveyard filler than a mana fixer. You almost always draw either a ranger, fixing, or looting/brainstorm anyways so ash barrens hasn't seemed to be necessary and perfect 3 color mana feels great.
I'm on my laptop and clicked the wrong card, my b. In my experience lingering squirrels is great though.

If you're playing brainstorm, you definitely want some form of fetch. Otherwise, Preordain is the safer play. Or even Ponder, really.

Borderland ranger, sylvan ranger, and civic wayfinder are the fetches.

They're not instant speed, though. If you're playing instant-speed removal, having instant-speed fetching is beneficial; you can force your opponent to play around Bolt or Pyre if you leave mana open.

Seems like a no-risk, all-upside inclusion for Barrens, but to each their own, my man. Might just be my playstyle

Is Izzetron fun? I'm looking for a cheap casual deck I can play around the kitchen table.

I have an izzet tron deck.. feels kinda random. maybe I could build it better because it feels slow. It's the kind ment to get out ulamog's crusher and control opponents stuff

Just went 1-4 in my first pauper league ask me anything

What deck were you playing? Did you have fun?

is the payout good for 4-1?

if i enter a friendly leaague i don't have to play all my matches at once right?

I was playing this guys list
mtggoldfish.com/deck/925980#online

It was ok.
First game was elves, beat them up pretty good. Second game was mono G madness and I got beat up pretty good. Other games were just U delver and didn't have much have a chance.

I misplayed a lot and have no idea how to sideboard against most decks.

nah

>NOT for pauper EDH

>also not welcome in edh thread since its pauper

wew

>mono red stax
elaborate.

What kind of sleeves do you pauperinos like to use?

Honestly I'm more interested in pauper edh than pauper, so fuck you OP.

What are the most common rules for pauper edh?

Uncommon general, commons everything else?

eclipse for buttery shuffles
dragonshield for corners that don't bend after 1 month

no kawaii kawaii desu nee sleeves with imported oversleeves that cost far more than your actual deck (at least before the buyouts attract more Rudies)?

For shame!

>Is Midnight Gond viable for an event or will it just get nuked by whatever tier decks out there?
>Any tool-boxy decks that are decent no matter what the opposition is?
>Best cards to make dredge players sad?

Can affinity beat Tron without a nut draw overrunning them before then 4? Seems like they hit either Gorilla Shaman or the Fangren before I can get them down, and it’s just gameover from there.

post paper decklists

Well, 2 mana cuz of the gobbo. But still too good.

Wizards of the coast decides to release pauper masters on mtgo to align the paper and online worlds. What cards do they need to preemptively ban?

Preemptively ban? Nothing.

After the format settles maybe Cranial Plating or Hymn to Tourach.

Isn’t Elvish Visionary a better Dusk Legion Zealot?

Why would anyone use Oubliette over Murder if they aren’t using Flicker effects?

black mana symbols for gray merchant

filter all namefags

yea and the red nigger ape is better than the spirit guide.

Yes. Add Pulse of Murasa, Moment's Peace, Teachings and a singleton Doom Blade (you can cast them with your mana artifacts) and it is one of the best decks in the format.

what Australian tournament is this from

My LGS is doing a pauper league and this is what I'm thinking of bringing (except Geth's Verdict instead of Chainer's in the side because lol15dollarcommon). It actually feels really strong testing on MTGO. 4-1'd a league the other day!

Thoughts? It's definitely not perfect. I'm still unsure on Victim of Night vs Doom Blade, and there might be some worth in putting in quality control cards over the 3rd and 4th copies of Corrupt or whatever else underperforms.

Also the side is definitely a bit of a mess and I could use some help there for sure. I wanna make space for some Choking Sands and Nihil Spellbombs. Would it be worth to go to a creature plan g2? Angler, Thorn of the Black Rose, possibly a Cuomobajj Witches ping gameplan?

Looks like you want Innocent Blood.

I would probably sub Distress for Ostacize

Probably wants a Crypt Rats, but you do have Shrivel and Pestilence

Looks fun.

What uncommons do you guys think could get down shifted?

Why this over traditional MBC? MBC seems to have a better matchup against control and also have the same anti-aggro tools.

Because I want to bring something spicy to the league, and Bubbling Muck is a sweet card!

>>Any tool-boxy decks that are decent no matter what the opposition is?
I don't know about being decent regardless of the opposition, but I like BG Tortured Existence

When is preordain better than ponder?

Ponder is pretty much free and Preordain is a a few tix for a set.

>How does delver deal with heroic?

U/R has Skred and counters

Got any decklists? Haven’t seen many lately.

Preordain is better if you don't have fetches to shuffle.

Preordain you only draw what you want
Ponder you are stuck with 2 useless cards

Ponder shuffles though
Preordain lets you put away 1 card and still keep the other, while ponder either lets you keep all 3 cards on top, or just draw a mystery one

Yes, but then you lose the cards on top.

So say you Ponder and only want one of the cards. You draw it, then shuffle the crappy ones away. Or, you draw it and then the next two draws are crappy -- which sucks butt. Preordain lets you put the crappy one(s) on bottom sans shuffle.

With shuffling effects, Brainstorm and Ponder are better. Without, Preordain

>Ash barens is 9 dollars
Hehehehe.

No shit, its never seen an actual set print run, it was only ever in paper in one of the Comander precon sets.

It makes sense it'd be expensive until it's seen a real reprint.

Some of the cards being expensive I can understand. Chainer's, for example, has only seen print once as an uncommon way the fuck back in torment, makes sense it's like fifteen bucks now, especially since it sees play in other formats.

Well, ok, I think it got a FTV printing too, but that's not enough to change the prices.

>THinking it'd ever get a reprint
Hehehe stupid goy! The power of judaism runs this game!!

>Twf when you have a super spicy brew that shits on all blue/tron/affinity meta cucks, but you don't want to reveal your hidden tech.

I honestly wonder what's the point of doing 3 colour in that deck. I'm sure a splash for mulldrifters isn't worth it when you're not even running full playsets of some of your pieces and you could be running 4 tutors instead of 2. Maybe even go Abzan instead so you can have lifegain redundancy through Soul Warden or Souls Attendant.

>tfw this deck is imaginary

Thinking about building kuldotha boros, but how does fair against boogeyman mono u delver?