Quirks your characters always have

ITT-
Weird similarities that your characters always seem to have no matter how different they are or how much you try to avoid it.

In CoC literally ALL of my characters end up taking cocaine at some point its ridiculous. Even why i play a rabbi who's against drugs of any kind it still happens.

they're always cocky and overconfident every time without fail. That being said I feel like my one would be quite common, given the fact that a lot of us are dorks escaping into a fantasy world. a lot of them also have the initials "R L" but it's not a quirk.

All my characters seem to have high int and low wisdom. My friends say its because all my PCs are autistic

I don't try to avoid it, but my characters always take first watch.

Also I try to avoid it, but a lot of their names start with A. I've had an Alesser, Aleph, Allan, André...

Mine are usually the opposite, but I'm still called autistic.

I tend to have my characters play devils advocate in the settings they are in, but towards the common but wrong conceptions of the people.

For example, in a fantasy setting where slavery is legal, my character would be in support of slavery or have arguments as to why slaves are better off in their position then otherwise. My characters also tend to be superstitious or believe in blatantly wrong things in the setting, such that mice spontaneously generate like some medieval folklore speculated.

I do this because I think it's a shame people don't embrace or at least try to understand morality and ideas that aren't modern. Most people just play themselves, and if that's true then the very least I can do is play myself but through a medieval or fantastical lens.

I'm an expert on stuff that i know nothing and care about. More skill points i put into something more i suck at it via rolls.

All of my characters become the cute mascot of the party. Male or female I just can't help it.

They always have weird motivations or morality.
My Paladin was more concerned with freedom and second chances, but everyone only gets one. If you go back to being a bandit after saying you won’t, he’ll murder you (though he’ll be sad about it).
My Pirate Prince cares only for things that a interesting to him. Anything that isn’t an oddity is worthless.
My CoC priest was more concerned with learning spells and getting lore than treating his son fairly and not assaulting librarians.

Yes, I have been That Guy because of it, but I like to think I’ve learned to be more cohesive to the party and it’s goals.

Daddy issues. Never realized how much I relied on that trope until I started keeping character sheets as PDFs.

I tend to be overly pragmatic, I think in all probability it would make no sense to always have two or three backup plans and have no qualms about things going wrong, due to expecting it.

I might be able to have some level of justification with "my DM makes things go wrong so often that it's painfully predictable that PLAN-A will go wrong" but in terms of roleplaying i'd like to be someone who can actually panic when things go wrong without it costing him his life

They share my love of over complicated traps and convoluted plans I love Playing Kobolds

all of my characters tend to be smartasses in way over their head. Also they tend to be more down to earth compared to the other characters my group make

My characters are usually canonically asexual and/or aromantic because I really just don't care for getting involved in that kind of roleplay, and I think that there are more interesting bonds that a character can have and develop.

mine are all gay

Every character I've ever played has, at one point, turned out to be the best cook in the group.

They are the living definition to "and this is jackass"

If you were to ask the rest of my party, they'd probably say my characters tend to be overbearing, bossy assholes. The reason for this of course is because the rest of my group never show any initiative whatsoever so i always end up being party leader. But hey, if you lazy fucks don't like it then feel free to step up and take charge yourselves for once so I can focus on my character instead of having to herd cats.

They are all a bit dim witted despite my best efforts

My characters are always old and shifty.

My characters are usually unattractive

My characters tend to have a code of ethics, even when im playing chaotic charaters or playing VtM, in which every NPC (and casually some players) is a backstabbing asshole

all of my characters share the trait of not being in any game whatsoever because i do not have friends to share a gaming experience with

My characters tend to be social Darwinists. Against themselves.

Always into forging/smithing and protecting people. Varies between grizzled older guy, young thug, or super righteous type (in one case I combined all three, it was fun).

Always arcane casters

Always arachnophobia. Time for me to leave the thread.

Every character tends to keep their word to others. Like, promises are a solemn vow that are not to be fucked with. I even made a character specifically to play against this trait, a dwarf willing to sell out the party, break deals, and then getting back into the party's good graces by taking out people who want them dead because he's only interested in his own comfort, but sadly I haven't got the chance to play him yet.

They're also against slavery of any kind, for varying reasons: My wizard was against it because he believed it was immoral, my bard was against it because he thought it was a lazy way to control people, and the dwarf has a high value on personal freedom.

I've recently noticed this pattern for my characters. Not out of any particular similarity but they all just kind of fall into it.
The Paladin was a paladin so yeah
The Warlock was feypact and slowly mutating into a fey himself so while he would lie his ASS off once he said "it's a deal" he would always follow through.
The monk was just an overall good guy and he kinda had a "so good hearted and pure he's a moron" shonen hero vibe going. When he did lie it was like a five year old fibbing to his parents.
The ranger is a Witcher style monster hunter so her professional reputation is everything so she was as good as her word, and she was very good.

They die, fast.

All of my characters are beast races

Do you act similarly outside of the game? I make the effort to follow through on my promises to people as best I can, but my characters tend to take it to a "Failure is not an option" level.

All of my characters tend to follow ethis of "I'm not stupid I just make bad choices"

my fellow players literally play "I only do stuff for money, is there money in it, no? don't care. never heard of a plot hook. fantasy adventures? Can we instead do some market trading and make money instead" every single fucking time. they don't want to play an rpg despite being in love with the autistic strategizing and crunch of 5e, they just want to do boring mundane shit. no matter the campaign, setting, characters

I always end up playing folk who're amiable to be around and happy to do their part. How well they do it depends on the character, but I can't keep myself from playing cooperative folks.

My Characters tend to be support or secondary, even if im not playing a "support" class, they end up backing up other players or filling a gap in our plans.

they also tend to be the accountant/quartermaster/ person in charge of loot and supplies

i try not to be a faithless shithead but not particularly, then again my fellow players are "fucktard mc murderhobo" and "Superior the Self-rightious" who pouts if any character is cooler than his even for a moment, seriously last session he made the DM go over my character sheet with him because no way should my ranger be doing more damage than his wizard and i must be doing it wrong or using some broken home-brew shit i got off the internet (she's pure core-book except for one spell out of Xanthar's)

They are all left-handed.

I'm left-handed, so when I try to imagine a particular fight playing, out, it just feels right for my character to have that trait.

My characters always end up being the party face/leader even when I don't design them to play that role. I've always blamed the other people I've played with for sucking at role playing (or rather just not being very involved even when prompted) but maybe I'm just an attention whore.

Yea sure why not

Most all of them believe that people can change and can be redeemed, and some of them go so far as to never kill. Even my ruthless, trigger-happy Rogue Trader had an episode where he lamented his life of murder and thievery, if only when he saw those closest to him suffer because of him.

Mine always have huge dongs. Too big to fit into any vagina. So big that my characters pass out when aroused.

>PermaGM
All my villains have more ham and cheese than French cafe. I can't help it, I just can't do edgy vengelords, brooding misguided anti-villains, or twisted fucking psychopaths. Sometimes they're Robotnik, sometimes they're Phantom Limb, sometimes they're the Black Queen of Sogo, but they're always smarmy, punchable, grandiose, and unabashedly evil (despite usually having good reasons for it)

Hey, if they're playing early revenge society Phantom Limb, they're alright in my book.

Dunno if you can call it a quirk but most of my characters are chaotic neutral spellcasters
I have a lawful neutral Cleric though

I love that image but the comedic timing in the source is shit, theres like 10 lines of dialogue between licking the knife and him dying

any time I play a martial character I end up RPing them as being distrustful of magic and magic users

Somehow I always end up being the moralfag of the group. This has happened even when playing explicitly evil characters, though in those cases its because the rest of the group go nuts despite half the time claiming to be good.

All my charactera have a CON score of 14 minimum and speak Terran. They also usually end up being the defacto leader of the group, though the others would never admit it.

My characters always end up being ex-military in some way but are never built with a combat-focus.

They always turn out more evil then I intend. Play a Rogue, remove the legs from giant spiders and keep the torso alive for venom harvesting. Play a wizard, become deep in necromancy and mind control. Play a priest, get into demon summoning, human sacrifice and cannibalism.

I worry about that sometimes.

They all love to do jackass/cuhrazy-tier shit.

>If you go back to being a bandit after saying you won’t, he’ll murder you
What if he learns that the someone he gave a second chance to already had one before, so he's on his third chance, but he really did quit being a bandit at the third one?

I'm with you brother.

They're all really impulsive and have some racist tendency.

Explosions and the need to make A team-esque plans without fail.
The only real limiter is how smart or capable my character is but the plans always have the key factors of being over the top, explodes shit(usually with IRL convoluted justification), and uses the most slapdash and infeasible construction methods I can manage.

It's like they're DoubleD garage engineering rocket bikes with lances for attack and aerodynamics out of pocket lint, a wizard, and wood where the nails are optional and the lack of a safety harness is by design.

man it's so odd but my play with all of my characters leads me to want to shoot myself

frankly that i haven't yet eaten either a 12 gauge or 7.62 round baffles me

They're usually pretty prideful. But I know it and try and break the mold from time to time.
I also tend to play the party face often but that's more of a player than character thing, honestly.

Both men and women tend to be smooth, blemishless pretty people while the women are tall amazons (cus I dont like the trope of the skinny fashion model being able to trash a man twice her mass).

He’d probably rationalise it as they weren’t given a stern enough talking to the first time. He wants people to know that when dealing with him in particular, he’s merciful but they get one shot at repentance.
It’d probably be more of a dilemma if the bandit has been show mercy by someone my Paladin held in high esteem as a redeemer. I can imagine him informing that person of the bandit’s dishonest actions, so the redeemer could decide whether to seek retribution or not.

Even in settings where nitroglycerin isn’t readily available?

Plenty of things go up in a bang when they reach ignition point fairly quickly user. Even the air.

None of my characters drink alcohol, ever. Not even my dwarves. This is because almost everyone in my family was an alcoholic and the act of even playing a character that drinks it makes me severely uncomfortable.

Body modification. If any of my characters ever the opportunity to, say, replace a fully functioning lim with some kind of magic/science shit they go for it. Even if it doesn't work as well as the original limb for whatever original purpose it had.

A bit of a derail, but how do you play your necromancer? Character wise.

As a player I find my characters are mostly directly involved in in-party conflicts. Whether it's because my character is deeply religious and someone else's is blasphemous or mine constantly accidentally endangers another pc's life, my character ruins the otherwise agreeable party dynamics.

As a dm I find I keep making insufferable, ungrateful and sometimes incompetent npcs who are in sort of position of power over the party. Maybe I'm just an asshole.

They're usually the kind of people who are secretly very lonely, even when surrounded by other people. They often put up some kind of front, are radically independent, or otherwise hard to approach directly, but secretly desire close friends, and don't understand how to acquire them.

The few friends they do acquire, whether through the party or other means, they tend to become unquestionably loyal to.

A survival instinct.

>Stars on their design
>Bad puns
>Impulsive, regardless of actual intelligence
>Has a skill nobody thought would be useful, does something kind of neat with it

All are charismatic, attractive party leaders and powergamed out the ass.

I have issues.

They're all also virgins, no matter the gender or social class.

Really makes you think.

Only thing that stands out is they none of my characters have been leaders. Heck even my bombastic Rogue Trader was essentially a figurehead and fall guy for the Senechal.

Might have something to do with the fact i couldn't lead a sheep to a grass patch even if my life depended on it.

My characters always collect trophies from their kills. Sometimes it's something actually useful (like a sword that's better than mine from a corrupt noble), but most of the time it's just trash.

Zombie? That shinbone is mine.
Minotaur? Gonna get me one of them horns.
Snake god? Oh you know that fang is goin in my bag.

Fucking this.
I can't let go of my moralfaggotry no matter how much I try. The only "exception" is one of my character's end motives, but he actually does some ridiculously nice things along the way, even if those nice things tend to be actually ridiculously alien and can backfire horribly. Have you tried giving a sense of humanity to beings that can't think for themselves? That's a mess.

My characters always end up trying to kill another players characters and fighting like an old married couple with another players character.
[spoilers]which is weird because I like both of the players

High or low CHA, my characters are usually the face of the party, since my friends aren't the best at roleplaying.

All my Half-Orcs are illiterate and gentle giants

Almost all of them are followers, never leaders.

My most recent was a Warforged Hexblade that was discovered and activated by one of the other PCs. I play it like a less-cheeky HK-47 combined with Clippy, and really only get animated when the owner character seems like he'd like some murder done.

>"Awaiting kill orders, Captain."
>"Unsheathing Greatsword, Captain."
>"Captain, have you considered using violence to get what you want?"
>"Shutting up, Captain."

It doesn't matter what my mate tries to play,
he always ends up playing an angry dwarf.
He just slips up and falls back into the role.

the only time he doesn't burst into an agressive, axewielding little madman is when he plays completely stoned hippies.

does anyone have some ideas to help him overcome his inner dwarven berserker?

he is so fucking annoyed about this himself, but he can't help it.

I have a tendency to carve up monsters we kill either to sell the parts to a wizard or alchemists or just to craft shit. I had this tendency before I discovered Monster Hunter, which only made it worse.

My father once gave me a sage bit of advice. It absolutely changed my life. Maybe your friend will find it similarly helpful.

>"Don't be a dumbass."

In times of stress or panic, I often come up with a bunch of potential actions or plans in response. Each time I do, I ask myself, "Is this a thing that a dumbass would do?" And if the answer is yes, I don't do that thing.

Your mileage may vary.

All of my characters tend to be brash and fearless.

I get bored easily in real life.

My characters are always H O T

>DM likes to jump from setting to setting
>Know little to nothing about any of them
>Barely get to know Waterdeep before we're launched away into Barovia, or whatever it's called
>Then we're in Innistrad
>Then in whatever universe Star Trek happens in
>Now we're in Greyhawk!

I now habitually roll up characters from outside of the established setting, usually dropped off by a fucking asshole time traveler who calls himself Not DM's First Name.

Unfortunately, this habit is really hard to break, and so I've done it to a few groups that have nothing to do with the aforementioned DM. Nearly all of them have rolled with it with remarkable grace, despite having a film noir detective that narrates his inner monologue aloud in someone's homebrew or a Roger Wilco space janitor hanging around a bar along the Sword Coast, trying to nurse his hangover and figure out where his ship went.

You need what we call The Stick.
When times were good and the current generations weren't numales raised by numales whenever a child was really bad he'd The Stick. Obviously we can't go around switching people anymore but The modern Stick can be anything. Give everybody a sliver of pool noodle or cans of silly string or those cheap squirt guns.
Now you have a way to correct behavior.

Mine are always buff as shit and arrogant that do stupid stuff not really thinking them through, like letting a powerful demon out of its prison jar to keep a villain NPC from letting him out.

Marriage. Not really a quirk, I know, but I often create married characters. I just feels nice to have a home to come back to rest and a wife to love and protect. Even better if the system allows a Leadership-like mechanic, where I can bring my spouse adventuring with me.
My GM is a cool guy, so I don't expect him to pull asshole moves on me, but I'd be completely fine with a "rescue your love" scenario. Hell, I'd be also ok with her dying, if it were a meaningful death.

All my guys end up acting as a goon for another party member.

>Made a character for GM's homebrew modern game
>Decided, why not, he's a locksmith and married to a police officer
>GM throws a curveball with some crazy alien invasion shit
>Major cities get hit with a light
>Most people vanish when they get hit by it, some are left behind and get weird superpowers
>Mine ended up with super strength and enhanced intellect
>End up finding out about them as we're scrambling to figure out what's going on and how we're going to survive this
>Keep trying to call wife's cell phone, no answer, no telling what that means
>Start to hear sirens and recognize it as the nuclear warning siren instead of the tornado siren
>Everybody freaks out, piles into the car and drives to get away from the nuclear power plant that was apparently unmanned and about to blow
>Time passes

>Aliens come back, zap all the places they zapped before
>Anyone that disappeared returns
>Anyone that was left behind and hit again gets a new power
>End up incredibly durable, basically able to take bullets from a few yards away without harm
>Phone rings
>It's the wife
>Freak out, drop everything and force the group to go back with me
>We're stopped outside of the city by military personnel
>Area is quarantined
>Reactor blew and the area is irradiated
>We end up bum rushing to get through, save the shit out of a bunch of people
>Military tries to stop us at first, realizes we're weird, starts utilizing our weird abilities to save more people
>bigdamnheroes.gif

>We're quarantined
>Plot happens
>FBI-looking guy says he could use a few people with abilities like ours, that some people weren't being so heroic with their newfound powers
>We're leery
>Someone realizes that it took us a week to get to the city
>Points out that my wife was in an irradiated zone the whole time
>Realize that cancer is the best-case scenario here
>Next ten sessions, my downtime is spent watching wife die

Never been hit so hard in the feelings as with that.

My characters invariably share a feature that I have, being extensions of me. They tend to verbally analyze whatever situation they're in and generate (not necessarily logical) hypotheses to explain what they see. I can't help but just throw ideas out, seeing anything not completely understood and supposing "maybe it's [X]". As a result most of my characters tend to be disconnected and unemotional, observing a situation rather than involving themselves within it. I can't shrug off the soul of a scientist I guess.

My characters always have alliterary initials.
The only exception is my current character's alter ego, who has a mononymous name.

They always have proficiency or specialties in detecting bullshit/schemes. Whether it's Sense Motive+Perception, Perception+Insight, Awareness up the wazoo, etc I tend to be the eyes and ears of the group. I play them in different veins such as a twitchy rent-a-cop who was abducted by aliens and used as a guinea pig for an energy supplement that makes him unable to sleep, a sly con man who is rarely conned, elder one mage who's straight up Beautiful Mind+Interstellar mindset, and even a Minotaur Farmer turned Paladin who shoveled so much shit in his life you might as well say he has Detect Bullshit instead of Detect Evil.

Actually I do have a quirk that always comes up.
Simply put, they're always the ones who make the stupidest plans that just happen to work.

Blowing stuff up/bashing things up. They also tend to be rather straightforward in their approach and quiet when the situation isn't directly relevant to their interests and/or skills.

They're all big guys. Like, even my meekest mother fucker is ripped to shreds.

All of my characters start out as exactly one of two archetypes.

>Quiet, protective, dumb big guy
Or
>Pragmatic, wisecracking, rocket-launcher-wielding hacker, scientist and mechanic

And on one very rare occasion, wisecracking dumb protective big halfling.

All of mine carry a tragedy in their backstory that they're trying to move past. Some are as minor as "Empire raised taxes, so I lost the farm and decided to go off as an adventurer." Right now I'm playing in a magical girls game and my PC's final burst is Summoning the ghost of her dead dad. One of my favorite PC's parents died when he was little so he was raised by his grandma, but she wasn't very strict with him because of their death so he was a loud asshole.

My characters tend to become the party's mascot and/or moral center or stupid assholes that the rest of the group minds amusing. I'm also a huge wizardfag though I rarely play them, usually making bards or paladins weirdly enough.

When I run campaigns usually they start with criminal mischief and spiral into a compounding mess of bad choices that come to a head in the final session, though lucky for me my group is on board with that and the players are fully aware of the mess they've gotten themselves in as their making a mess.

Also a weird wargame quirk I've noticed is that I seem to only play bad guy armies. I have armies for 5 of the majorish wargames and none of them are even misunderstood or pragmatic evil. It's all evil all the way down.

Every character that I make (Player and GM) will not take anything 100% serious. 98% is the best they can do, and that’s usually when dealing with the worst of circumstances. Taking the piss out of a tense situation is second nature to me. I get it from my family, you should see the post-funeral parties we throw.