How do we fix mtg?

how do we fix mtg?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtg.gamepedia.com/Panopticon
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Remove all rarities above uncommon

Get rid of new world order

The same way you fix a dog. Cut off their balls.
...oh wait, they're doing just fine on that front.

Get rid of every colour that isn't red white and blue

Remove paedos.

We don't juts let it die. To save the hobby WOTC must cease to exist.

To start, get rid of the "no violence against women" and "50/50 gender ratio" in the card art.

>starts with something that has no impact on the actual game itself

I haven't been playing magic long. This is the most immediately visible problem with the game for me.

if you have a problem with this and not format warping commons then you have brain issues best solved with a 30.06 in the mouth

Then you're just as superficial as the SJWs that they were trying to appease, and your opinion is just as irrelevant.

Unban mental misstep

>were
i think they still are trying user and the more they keep that up the less they will work on fixing the game

>y-y-you’re just as bad!
No, darling. One group makes empty threats and then doesn’t even support the companies they threaten. There is no benefit to kneeling to social justice and diversity, but there is immense risk of alienating your core audience by spurning then over people who just want to their their victory over your game as a notch on their belt.

Get a better community for it.

>Move MaRo to purely public relations. No more design.
>Fire everyone in design and development. Rebuild from the ground up.
>Mythics are now Planeswalkers, textless cards, and Expeditions/Masterpieces/etc.
>Use yearly Core Set to reprint cards that should always be in Standard rotation. Lightning Strike, Mana Leak, Murder, etc.
>Have a yearly Master set and reprint 350 of the most expensive cards. Rarity be damned, 15 random cards in a pack, $5 msrp. No single card should be over $10, ever.

There are probably other things, but that's where I'd start.

I agree with most of this, and the parts I don't are worth the parts I do

Fixes I'd like to see off the top of my head
>1. Go back to the formula that gave us OG RAV, INN, and TSP
Print powerful cards, but balance them with other powerful cards/answers.
>2. Stop pushing creatures power levels so hard
Not every creature needs to be all upsides or have ridiculous ETB effects stapled on. I want to see things like Jackal Pup printed again, good, but with a downside to balance it.
>3. Bring up the power level of sorceries/instants to get them to parity with creatures
Or just get them into parity in general, I'd love to see creature power levels eat a general downgrade.
>4. Stop being afraid of "unfun" strategies.
Just because some people don't like LD/Permission doesn't mean you shouldn't print them, they are important aspects of balancing the game so it's no just "creatures: the tappening"
>5. Remove mythic rarity
The only thing mythic rarity does is increase the price of chase rares that are required to play competitively, reducing the pool of players by making the game ever more expensive.
>6. Cultivate better artists/writers
Now for a more minor gripe, I've been pretty disappointed with the writing/art direction of the last several sets, I'd like to see wizards work harder to get the quality of the art/lore up again.

This. Unban Mental Misstep.

>tfw someone agrees with my bait

You literally don't and go play a different fucking game for once. There are other good card games.

Yes.

Seems drastic, but a shake up is definitely required.

>Mythics are now Planeswalkers, textless cards, and Expeditions/Masterpieces/etc.

By textless do you mean like the related image?
>Use yearly Core Set to reprint cards that should always be in Standard rotation. Lightning Strike, Mana Leak, Murder, etc.

This only works if sets are less designed around limited. Otherwise it’ll be “Mostly core set with a one or two cards from the current sets”.

>Have a yearly Master set and reprint 350 of the most expensive cards. Rarity be damned, 15 random cards in a pack, $5 msrp. No single card should be over $10, ever.

Aggressive reprints of shock and fetch lands are definitely necessary. Getting the land bases cheap for eternal formats would be a big step for making the game easier to play.

people who spend 100% of their time bitching and moaning about how the game is shit now aren't the core audience

Could have been a counter bait.

Wait a minute...counter...

>Fetchland under $10

Sign me up.

I was thinking more like a box set that contained a play set of shocks and fetches for like $50 printed yearly.

By spamming Veeky Forums relentlessly with your inane stupidity, if the archive is any indication.

We don't have a lot of good shitposters these days, so you have to take what you can get.

Corporate mindset change like 40k?

>One group makes empty threats and then doesn’t even support the companies they threaten.
This describes most Veeky Forums posters who complain about M:tG, though.

>This describes most Veeky Forums posters who complain about M:tG
Probably true, but I think has a reasonable point. Look at the shit that's been going on with Marvel bending over backwards for the SJW's, they made tons of demands that Marvel catered too, but ultimately they weren't the core audience and Marvel is having to backtrack on a bunch of the changes and cancel comics because of lack of support. You can't cater to outside groups while shitting all over your core audience without it eventually coming back to bite you in the ass.

go play pauper

well sign me up for any mana base that doesnt cost over 150 in most format.

The difference is that the core audience of comics has always cared about the plot and characters, whereas WotC has actively been trying to get players to care at all about the story.

The core audience of Magic has always been players of the game, most of whom will refer to an attacking creature as "him" even if it has giant tits and is named "Feminara, Keeper of the Sacred Cleft"

Nobody would have complained if Marvel had added new heroes with new names and identities that happened to be members of Tumblr's Favored Few. The retarded shit was replacing extant heroes with minority characters. Until Jace is replaced by a black woman who is also named Jace Beleren, it's not really analogous.

That's kind of my concern, WOTC is trying to make the story a bigger part of the game while jamming SJW messages into it. I don't think anywhere near the majority of MTG players identify as SJW's or support their issues, you are catering a dimension of the product you're trying to push in a way that actively alienates a core segment of your audience. I'm not saying that WOTC=Marvel, or that even the situation are completely analogous; I'm simply pointing out that Marvel is an example of why you should cater to your core audience and ignore outside groups.

Can we please shut the fuck up about marvel? They haven't made anything of any worth for decades

>jamming SJW messages into it
No, they're jamming members of minorities into it, while the actual storylines themselves are "white people from the Old World come to the New World and are the only ones capable of actually solving any problems." Except for Amonkhet, but even the natives of Amonkhet could do exactly fuck and all.

Nah, we'll talk about what we want. Why don't you fuck cunt?

*fuck off

>Nobody would have complained if Marvel had added new heroes with new names and identities

That's not how marketing works.

>b-b-but SJWs don't buy comics

Yeah that's unrelated to this specific point. From a marketing perspective, it's better to reboot a preestablished popular character than to make a new character, because the popular character's name is already known to the audience. Marvel found out that SJWs aren't interested in giving them money, so their plan to draw in SJWs using preestablished characters is being scrapped. They'll still continue to reboot preestablished characters from time to time whenever they think that character needs a boost in the public's consciousness.

At the end of the day, Marvel and WotC are both just firing blind and hoping to find something that sticks long enough to make them money.

I didn't say it would have been the same marketing strategy if Marvel had done so, I was simply pointing out that the two strategies aren't analogous.

I guess my point (I'm not the guy you were talking to before, I'm just )
is that both Marvel and WotC don't see "core audience", they just see a bell curve of "willing to give us money" and "not yet willing to give us money". Both companies will gladly shit all over people who've been giving them money for decades if they think shifting the bell curve can make them more money because they're both owned by larger companies so their only point in existing is to make money in the short term, not build a loyal customer base in the long term.

Again, though, the historical core audience of Magic has been much more invested in the game itself than in the art or story. This looks much more like a legitimate expansion into possible untapped territory than shitting over the old core in favor of a new demographic.

Now, I will grant that Standard has been absolute dogshit since BFZ, but I seriously doubt that their minorities-in-art quotient has anything to do with that. After all, it's not like removal still specifies "nonblack creature" these days.

>I'm Too Young To Die
Remove all SJW shit.
>Hey, Not Too Rough
Actual casual format support, like pauper.
>Hurt Me Plenty
Focus on quality card stock and better art.
>Ultra-Violence
Box sets for staple cards, especially lands.
>Nightmare!
Reserve Masters.
>Contra Difficulty
Replace the fan base with well-adjusted people.

I tried to think of core support above printing cards. You know, there are new people who want to play this game who love the old art and old mechanics. I taught my girlfriend how to play recently and she loves it. Has more energy for it than I do. She said she wanted to try decks with really specific constraints, like artifacts only. Not even artifact creatures - just artifacts. I told her there were artifact lands, but even better would be moxes, but that we would have to proxy them. She said no proxies. Then I showed her the price. Then, she realized the true extent of the autism present in the game.

Her favorite card is Demonic Attorney. Alpha as fuck, she's willing to gamble hard.

You need to be 18 or older to post on Veeky Forums

Fire MaRo
Hire actual writers to do the lore
Remove any existing storyline mandates

Boom, you've got Vorthoses (Vorthese?) back on board. We're the people who spend money on the dumb bullshit the Spikes will never touch.

maro just needs to be kept in marketing, which is something he actually does well at.
they just hired a new writer to take over the storyline starting in dominaria, someone who's up for a phillip k. dick award
you'll have to be more specific on that, but they've found too late that people tire easily of the jacetice league.

the real SJW bullshit of the game isn't the "diversity hires" and "increase" in non-white characters. it's the gatewatch themselves, pandering to the white-guilt and white savior complex most of the idiots who claim to fight for social justice tend to have.

i hope dominaria goes to jamuura, based continent, instead of just hovering around the ruins of tolaria with Teferi phasing in and out.

>Duel Decks: Allied Fetches vs. Enemy Fetches
>Planeswalker Deck Series JTMS and LOTV
>From the Vault: Power 9

>you'll have to be more specific on that
"The Gatewatch must always be the center of attention. When the Gatewatch are not on screen, everyone should be asking, 'where's Jace?'"
"No one is allowed to die unless they were created specifically for that purpose. Anyone who dies has to have a backdoor to bring them back like Elspeth."
"Character personalities and motivations must adhere religiously to MaRo's retarded perception of color identity."
"Every plane must be able to be summed up as 'the ____ plane', ex 'the India plane,' 'the Pirate plane' etc"

That kind of shit.

Considering Maro was solely responsible for the best, most "old school" magic set in the past 5 years with UnstableI beleive removing him from a spokesperson job and forcing him back into the design pitis probably the better choice. He literally says he rarely gets to design cards anymore, and the rest of the crew obviously can't do it themselves.
Yes, most of the team is shit. Especially what was once "development".
I think the mythic debate is a big nothingburger that is a symptom of other problems and not a problem in and of itself but in that same vein it also means removing mythics changes nothing, so fine if it makes you feel better w.e.
This, absolutely. The "core"set should set the powerlevel for the next rotation and be an easy jumping off point into standard no matter what.
This would destroy the game in it's entirety, especially considering that doing this would tank the prices so hard this set would no longer be worth buying almost immediately.

>best, most "old school" magic set in the past 5 years

This is a low fucking bar, user, and a very poor endorsement.

It is however literal proof that when HE does the design it's actually good. If he's as bad as you people think he is Unstable would have been the worst set to capstone the worst portion of Magic's history. The real fucking problems are actual retards like Ken Nagle who literally turns away creature designs because they die to removal and who thinks 3 mana murder is too good. He needs to be gassed.

stop playing it

Ken Nagle is probably a brapfag so he'd enjoy that.

Hey man so long as it gets hik in the oven I'm not complaining. We can tell his family he died the way he lived.

Kek, true. I remember reading most of the articles he wrote around NPH and just wondering what the fuck he was smoking.

Fire everyone at WOTC
Open up a studio in Eastern Europe, pay them less, get better product

Destroy the secondary market by reprinting everything of value. Search your heart, you know this is the true answer.

And you have to realize that he's one of the top designers in RnD and consistently leads sets, usually being solely responsible for some real shit decision making. Hell, I remember back during the first GDS he reprimands a contestant for making his sexy mythic bomb legendary because, and I quote, "Players just don't like legendary creatures, they see it as a mechanical downside and it should be avoided where possible.". This was two months before the first commander set dropped and he got eternally BTFO by fucking sales figures.

Oh yeah, i'm aware of that dude. I've just been away from Magic for a while, I thought he would have been gone by now. Him having more influence explains a lot of shit.
>that quote
What a fucking retard. He sounds like someone trying to be a competitive player but really isn't and prints retarded shit as a consequence.

Exactly. If you follow the patterns and read the development and design articles where they go through their feedback logs you can easily point out who the problem people are. Go back and read the Developmsnt article for how they came up with Emrakul's card for Shadows, it's the most cringeworthy thing I've ever read. They start with an actually awesome idea and transform it into a hulking monstrosity of the worst possible decisions. I'd link it but I'm lazy as fuck.

I remember that article being brought up before, I read it and it was really illogical. Especially that keyword he came up with that would make removing it really fucking annoying iirc.

>DEMS ARE THE REAL RAYCISSSSSSSSS!: The Post

They need to stop putting so many ugly sheboons in the card art. The only white or analogous to white characters are usually evil vampires etc. What's with so many cleric characters being ugly black females? At least make them look attractive, geeze! People defending this... Pathetic!

Between this and the card stock being garbage, WOTC is obviously not your friend and will not change. They have you by the balls so long as you keep buying, and keep going to events.

If you horseshoe-theory the diversity shit or pretend it doesn't effect the players you're a retard or a liar.

Let it die

The vampires in Ixalan were actually the good guys trying to take back something that was stolen from them, and those same "clerics" you were saying are all ugly black females were one of the Vampire's prominent aesthetics, most of them being male and ranging from white male vampire in robes with censure to white male vampire paladin on horseback so you're objectively wrong on at least those two points in particular.

This unironically.

If WotC gets bought out, I could see them doing this to squeeze every penny out of the company, then shut it down.

Switch to Legend of the Five Rings.
LCGs are more reasonable than CCGs.

>format warping commons

Commons should always be the strongest and most used cards in any healthy Magic format. Meanwhile mythics should only appear as one-ofs in one deck out of 10.
The whole reason Magic is so retardedy expensive is this "the best cards need to have the highest rarity" mindset.

Makeup is kind of scary.

That's the point though.

Wait, hol up. Are you fucking implying that Unstable is GOOD? The fuck? Are you retarded or something?

Show her Modern Eggs (pre-ban).

How about banning counter-bans?

mtg.gamepedia.com/Panopticon

>Europe
they'd make cucks of the coast pro Islam lol

>RAV INN TSP
Two out of those three had Garfield, so if Dominaria is shit despite his presence, then we can now something's truly gone wrong if they can stop him making a great set.
>sorceries/instants vs creatures
at least Settle the Wreckage is a backtrack on 5 mana wraths+, hopefully that indicates they're gonna step back on their pricing of other spells they've increased in recent years

Maro makes good shit when he's actually designing the cards themselves, but his leadership in laying down design rules is retarded. Peter principle in action.

sad but possible to start with.

>>Have a yearly Master set and reprint 350 of the most expensive cards. Rarity be damned, 15 random cards in a pack, $5 msrp. No single card should be over $10, ever.

Rarityshifting things like Goyf and Bob just to sell packs without actually hurting the jewish speculator feefees is the problem, but sets HAVE to be fun to draft. Drafting is what actually sells sealed product, which is the only metric that matters to WOTC since they dont make money on singles. It's been proven time and time again that EV and secondary market value is nice to have in a product, but a fun draft environment is above all when it comes to sales. See Iconic Masters flopping while Unstable flies off the shelves.

This is the same guy who, in the various comments in their databases, is constantly, CONSTANTLY talking about nothing but EDH.

LCGs are also super difficult to find a game going.

But a lot of what has been taking Magic to the shitter seems to have come from outside MaRo. Remember, he's the head of design, not of R&D (that is Aaron).

>Push story significant cards
Probably a decision from the brand team.

>Make answers shit
This is that fat fuck Stoddard. I don't know if he or Ken Nagle are the worst things to have happened to R&D.

>Card stock
Not Maro.

>In fact, fuck everything, let's make everything shit other than a few pushed cards
In all likelihood development too.

I would agree on most of those besides LD - they DO have a point about being able to play instead of sitting there stuck with a hand full of cards, not through any fault of your own but because your opponent kept killing your lands. Doesn't really balance much, there.
Now, nonbasic destruction is another story entirely. Blowing up greedy manabases DOES help put a damper on the four color decks running around all the time lately, while giving a simple counterplay to prevent getting hosed by the strategy (play a bunch of basics instead of a bunch of duals/etc).
Settle got through because you have to hold up four mana instead of casting anything AND it only hits what they attack with, AND they get lands out of the deal. It doesn't seem a step back at all, just more of the same.
I'm more concerned with them taking effects and just outright upping the cost instead of deciding 'yes, the base price is X mana, but we're only going to print at X+1 but with upsides'. The recent landfetching, for example, is specifically more expensive than Rampant Growth for the sake of being more expensive than Rampant Growth for no benefit. Not even piddly lifegain or other tiny bonuses, just straight out worse and they've confirmed that's the plan going forward.

There is a difference between 'strongest and most used' and 'format warping'
No card should be format warping, regardless of rarity.

>Now, nonbasic destruction is another story entirely. Blowing up greedy manabases DOES help put a damper on the four color decks running around all the time lately

Field of Ruin or Tectonic Edge should really be reprinted every other set.

Here is what they have to do to save the game:

>Power-up Standard (but make the power curve flatter)
Standard fucking sucks and despite that deck prices are still high for that format. But thing is, I am not paying $300 for a Standard deck that is going to become worth like $30 after rotation. It also gets a lot worse because Standard rewards changing decks, so you are incentivized not to stick to a single deck for long, so it is like $800-900 AN YEAR if you want to play Standard competitively. I'd rather work towards a 1-1,5K modern deck that I would keep forever.

By making Standard cards more powerful (beyond a handful of ultra-pushed cards) you create incentives to play the format since you are still going to be able to use some of your older cards in Modern once they rotate.

This also needs to be an across-the-board power-up instead of focusing on a handful of cards.

>Plagiarize the Pokemon TCG
Masterpieces were fucking great at bringing prices down, but it was limited in terms of how many cards they could reprint. So they could steal from Pokemon and make masterpieces full art foil versions of marquee cards in the set. It works in Pokemon, those full-art cards are gorgeous. Imagine a foil full-art Fatal Push.

Also use tins/boxes to put more copies of undersupplied cards in circulation.

What commons are even strong enough to play in standard right now that people care about? The last time a common shaped the format to a point I'd consider format warping would be Delver.

Attune was but got banned.

I agree somewhat, I should have been more clear before. Too much LD to the point that you can regularly mana screw poeple out of the game or grossly undercost LD is a bad thing, but having a Stone Rain variant in standard would be fine. It enables low to the ground aggressive decks that actively punish the midrange decks that try to get to 4+ mana that have been dominating standard in recent years. There should be a penalty for trying to run a greedy manabase or higher curve. Then again I'm an oldfag, when I started playing T2 things like Counterspell, Dark ritual, Bolt, Stone Rain, etc. were cards that saw reprints every core set, so maybe my view on these things are skewed.

Wait how does the art do that though? I thought having shitty card stock would do that.

>and ignore outside groups
I feel like you can still cater to your core audience while also trying to bring in outside groups. These things aren't mutually exclusive

Looking solely at the cards, the SJW push doesn't really jump out at you. The Theros gay kings cards are subtle, you can't tell from the card art that Alesha is a tranny and Kaya is just some black woman.

It is when you go after the supplemental material and the content creators that those things begin to pop up and even then shit like "Alesha is really a tranny!" or "We had to hire a consultant to write a black woman" is by now well buried in their archives.

I also wonder if WotC told everyone to shut the fuck up about the Jeremy drama since that seems to have died off by now.

>old mechanics
Wait what do you mean by this. By mechanics you mean stuff like exert or explore or morph?

Yeah, I don't get that "SJW bullshit" either. It's not apparent on cards and you have to go actively looking for supplementary material to know about that stuff. It has zero impact if you're playing the game. It's like people enjoy actively hunting for things to get mad at, and then enjoy being mad.

Do you enjoy being mad? Because I certainly don't.

> It's like people enjoy actively hunting for things to get mad at, and then enjoy being mad.

Not to rub it in, but where do you think you are?

I think the biggest issue with the SJW push isn't that it's there, but that it's happening more recently in lieu of creative and competent design. Kaya is a planeswalker who exists pretty much entirely because she's black, not because she's an important character to a storyline or because she has some interesting role to play, or almost every single character of importance on Ixalan being a woman. The problem isn't that they exist like that, but that it's being done without trying to make it fit into the larger world or plot.

Like, take for instance Ixalan having almost every important character as a woman. They could have spent some time thinking about how that actually would have come about, if the cultural ramifications of Saint Elenda have given a stereotype of women being knights and/or holy to the Legion of Dusk, explaining why we see so many female conquistadors. Or perhaps the majority of female captains in the Brazen Coalition could have come from the Legion winning a succession of battles that killed most of the men of the pre-coalition free cities, and the women, children, and elderly fled to sea and became pirates. The point is that if they actually take the time to explore the ideas of putting these things in setting, they can come up with cool shit. Alesha was interesting because she explored the concept of War Names with the Mardu and at least felt like part of the setting because of that. The Gay Kings might apparently have been planned to have been the gay kings from the start of their design, but the tidbit behind the twin statues of them at Meletis is a cool thing that makes Theros feel a bit more interesting because of it. Wizards needs to tell us less about how these characters are examples of an agenda and show us instead.
The race consultant lady is still pretty damn terrible though.

>tl;dr: The problem with the SJW stuff isn't so much the SJW stuff as it is how poorly its put in there.