EDH/Commander General /edhg/

No card in the OP edition

Previously:>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Unofficial and new, but has GOAT search interface and updates on time.
scryfall.com

>Thread Question
what's your ideal dream commander?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/athreos-knightsedh/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Thread question
Izzet artifacts, under 4 cmc.

These are conflicting answers and I feel like one can not be true

There certainly are

>thread question
A black red demon that straight up buffs demons
Something like "Demons you control get +2/+0, haste, trample and lifelink"
or maybe "demons you control have pay 2 life destroy target non demon creature"
I just want a demon tribal commander that ins't OG rakdos

There's no good blue red artifact-based commander under 4 cmc shut your fucking whore mouth

A mana ability is anything that doesn't target, isn't a planeswalker ability, and adds mana, like the first user said. Stuff like Chromatic Star count, while Deathrite Shaman's first ability doesn't.

Bant land tokens or Azorius land tokens?

Yo is anyone else shadowbanned on the subreddit? I have no idea how it happened

Also, post hands from your deck. No mulligans. One color is missing from mine, but I'm 100% keeping

Oh baby don't stop

>going on reddit

Yidris?

What's your excuse for spending so much money on this game when you could win with a $70 deck and put all that money to way better things like a nice guitar, a stand up paddleboard, a nice road bike, months worth of martial arts training... I mean fuck, most of you idiots could sell off 10% of your gay collections and fund a top of the line cruise entirely with money gained from selling cards to other idiots.

But you don't. Why? Because you're boring and lame, anti social and out of shape. A bunch of uninspired, unmotivated dweebs who use this game as a way to compensate for your complete and total lack of life skills & basic hygiene. You for whatever reason believe that winning a casual game in a casual format will bring you some newfound happiness, even though you're playing in a situation where nothing is on the line and the difference between winning and losing is simply the amount of time it takes to start another game up.

You pop pills for your "depression" and blame a chemical imbalance even though the true source of your depression is a lack of exercise and clean air. You eat hot pockets at the LGS with the other losers, some of whom you call "friends" even though you only ever see each other at FNM and have nothing in common beyond your mutual inability to wash yourselves.

You're afraid to sell off these cards because you'd have to come to the realization that without them, you suck at this game, and if you suck at this game, then you're literally not good at anything in this world. And that's too much to handle for someone like you, isn't it? You'd end up going on a killing spree once you realized that the only thing you found solace in is actually just a lack of skill covered up by the fact that this game is pay to win and the makers of this game have one intention in mind when making these cards; The money of fools like you.

The one who mentioned elvish mystic doesn't know what he's talking about. The other response is correct

I know but I feel like I need to defend against the "BAN SOL RING" posts unless Sheldon thinks it's a popular opinion.

Yes

I know this is pasta but there's 0 risk to buying reserved list cards

>They get damaged
>All your friends/family/neighbors judge you for spending money on a silly game
>Every girl in your town hears that you bought a silly card for a few hundred dollars and would never be able to look at you without laughing.

There's plenty of risk

GW player here, how do i make the rakdos player notices me?

Sacrificing to add mana is still a mana ability. Ashnod's Altar, for instance, is still a mana ability. Mana abilities also do not use the stack.

i already told you user.
>sit next to them and wear something feminine but androgynous. act a little cuter than normal and they'll take notice. you're playing GW so giving them a helping hand while they're in a pinch should be easy and they'll appreciate it

So paying 2 mana to activate an egg's ability to make 2 mana and draw a card is a mana ability yeah?

Correct. No one could respond to you using the ability to prevent you from drawing the card or making the mana.

Yes.
From gatherer
>This is a mana ability, which means it can be activated as part of the process of casting a spell or activating another ability. If that happens you get the mana right away, but you don’t get to look at the drawn card until you have finished casting that spell or activating that ability.

>not having a girlfriend who knows your silly cardboard is worth $30,000 but still loves you

>what's your ideal dream commander?
R/W Demon
Does something Boros.
We have white zombies and vampires,
I want non-black demons.

>Carpet of Flowers

this nigga

Kruphix but RUG. I'm a simple degenerate.

i could see a non-black demon like an asura. i was gonna say i don't think it would happen but i forgot about pic related and crypt angel. I think a white/red demon with a black ability to make it mardu would be cool.

Something like Malefic Yggdrasil from FoW that warps the game in insane ways without just breaking it. Doran is pretty close, but he's got fairly tightly choked lines of play, I'd prefer something more versatile.

Fallen Angel has been around since Legends, though. And for that matter, Have they done a purely nonwhite angel in Modern? Not just a reprint of Fallen, a new one.

Alright, Doom playing Staxanon here. I took a look:
>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/athreos-knightsedh/

>Porphyry Nodes
Pretty spicy. I'm going to run that shit, thanks buddy.

It took me a second to see what you're really doing, but it's pretty interesting. I won't fuck with your knight tribal, because that's your thing, and if it won't work for your meta you don't need to listen, but I'll give you some advice.

Your stax package is pretty meh. I mean, you're running stax-type cards, but you aren't really focused on what you want to do. By nature of Atheros, the grave pact stuff makes the most sense, but it depends on how committed you want to be to it. If you just want it there, because somethings WB gets totally and utterly manafucked, it serves its purpose, but to really get effect, I'd tutor it up and build your deck around it.

For example, I really only run Static Orb, Winter Orb, and Trinisphere in my monoblue deck. The trick is being able to grab them when you need them, understanding what you want them to do, and having ways to break the lock. They all limit your opponent's ability to respond, but they have different practical usages: winter orb lets you win with an advantageous boardstate, like lots of rocks; trinisphere rewards big mana bases, lots of rocks, and punishes cantrips; and static orb shuts everything down to let you win with a large threat. All these cards will fuck you. You win by being able to mitigate the fuckening because you know its going to happen. Now, you can only fuck when the time is right, or everyone has a bad time, and it takes a lot of practice to figure it out. Winter orb and Trinisphere together slows people to a crawl, and you break it by having rocks. Static orb and trinisphere fucks people into oblivion, which you want if you're going to swing with blightsteel. But winter orb and static orb together is just static orb, so you need to use them correctly for maximum results.

(cont)

Now in your case? I'd actually run a discard package instead of winter orb, and run a few more edicts. Atheros breaks a stax lock by returning cards to your hand when they die, which doesn't help for tap effects. The discards purpose is to limit your opponents ability to influence the board once you have a good setup. You combine this with a way to limit your opponents board, like No Mercy or Grave Pact, and you win because you mitigate the discard as well as the loss of creatures with Atheros.

Now your deck isn't really built like that. I'd run more reanimator, like dread return and victimize, with a few things like Bloodghast or Sengir Autocrat that either recur of fill up the board with tokens. Anointed Procession could also help you out, and Mimic Vat is extremely underrated. Pepper in some wraths because atheros is indestructible. You can nuke a big board of creatures, and either get the cards back, or do an absurd amount of damage, while atheros survives either way. Combine it with an enchantment that has devotion, and suddenly your stax setup lets your 3 mana 5/4 indestructible shit all over your opponents.

You could probably also run winter orb and static orb, a few more mana rocks, necrogen mists, and delerium skiens, or just a handful of tutors, then absolutely shit on fools.

This guy's just begging to be broken. What are some spicy techs, /edhg/? I know you gain infinite life with Resplendent Mentor.

there's only three monoblack angels in magic and they're
crypt angel (invasion)
desolation angel (apocalypse)
fallen angel (as early as 5th edition)

as for white demons? we only have the single butcher of the hoarde at mardu.

jesus fucking christ. THANK YOU, this is exactly the kind of feedback i've been looking for. all right, i'll look into the discard package and throw in grave pact/ dictate of erebos and some edicts. I can't thank you enough.

Jund Land Matters Commander. Like Gitrog Monster mixed with Mina and Denn with a dollop of Valakut the Molten Pinnacle on tope.

No problem user, any time.

I would also include Dread Return if you're running lots of creatures and discard together. You get to play it for free, if you discard it and it'll count as two sac triggers. Other than that, have fun, and if you post your list again, I'll try to take a peak and tell you what I think.

I run a filthy monoblack discard deck with skittles as the wincon. It's just ramp, tutors, discard, and fucking skittles; it's probably my favorite deck.

Big Black...Erebos?

Here's mine. Big spoiler in there.

Chainer.

I read your post in the other thread.

Now I need to buy a chainer...

It was actually just Toshi.
I should probably take out the necromancy, there are better reanimate options.

He's beautiful, user. I exist only to spread the Chainer joy

>we'll never get a jund commander that cares about land destruction

i have several copies of dread return so i'll definitely include it, thanks again man. sounds cool, most monoblack decks are just devotion or ramping and casting a death cloud like spell.

>Doom playing Staxanon
>perfectly explains how to ruin a meta with disgusting hateful stax
>without fucking up the knight tribal
You're doing god's work user.

We need a jund Kothophed

No, we need a Jund Mazirek. Just slap a red pip in the middle of that bitch and he's fine as is.

I've wanted to build around new Rakdos for some time. Not quite demon tribal, but cost reduction could help get a bunch of big demons out quickly.

and, yaknow.

>a black ability to make it mardu
That's a reasonable compromise, but my gut still wants an entirely non-black demon to show up in a set though.

i mean i feel you, but lets be honest, with modern wizards design it's the best we can hope for.

Bant

>double your land count with this and
shit, land tokens would be a really cool design space.

Does Mogis' ability count towards commander damage?

This was a fine response. Don't be afraid to dress a LITTLE bit slutty but, more importantly, we haven't reached 250+ posts. Or have we changed it from pist number to dead hours?

dead hours.

commander damage is only dealt through combat damage.

Five color spirit that actually supports a spirit tribal deck.

Bros... I need some SAGE advice.
I my friends wanted me to play EDH with them (never played this format, but I've been playing magic for years) and suggested that I buy a preconstructed deck from wizards. So, I bought the cats EDH deck from the latest set of commanders. However, every single game I've played with them, I've been absolutely obliterated, and I've been eliminated (without fail) first in every game. Basically, in every game, it falls into two scenarios: either I get shit draws and lose because I have 1 or 2 weak creatures that do nothing, or I get a good set of draws and get eliminated because I'm "too strong". Anyways, blogpost aside, what the fuck am I supposed to do? I don't want to spend money on this format when I never have fun anyways. Honestly, I think EDH kind of sucks. What do?

Outside of buying better cards or editing your preconstructed deck with the horde of cards you've amassed over the years you've been playing, I suggest getting better at politics.

this card slaps your decks butt, what do you do

Do you guys ever print proxies for use with friends?

I liked a One Punch Man Commander deck but there's no way I'm dropping the cash to buy all the cards.

>I bought the cats EDH deck
that. right there was the first mistake unfortunately, the cat deck looks fun in a vacuum but it's the worst precon out of all of them. so the deck will need some reworking
this user here also makes some good points. politics is key, and often times you can avoid getting eliminated when you have good draws by learning when to "hold back" you can't go all in sometimes in EDH because if you do everyone will look at you and go "shit he's pulling way ahead i can't let him win" and will team up without even being outspoken about it. even the most unassuming player can pull out a win. if you put threats on board, put down mid level threats, enough to keep your advantage without alerting other players. it's an advanced thing to grab ahold of if you aren't used to playing multiplayer but an easy thing to do would be making deals, are you not the only shitter at the table? try and watch each other's backs. in a strong position but think that you'll be ganged up on? seek out a player in a weaker state and make a deal with them, if they think they can eventually pull ahead of you they'll make the deal and you have an ally to prevent the immidiate threat the other contenders are posing, just be wary of when they'll turn the tables on you because they can and will, sometimes not even subtly.

Fuck... I really don't want to invest a bunch of money like the rest of my group. They've offered to let me play with their decks but I wouldn't feel good playing/winning with their creations vs my creations. Truly, this is hell.

What do you dislike about the format?

buy the 3 color vampire deck

subtlety is the key word here too, because i gained a bad rep at my multiplayer game night for often lying and breaking deals because at the moment i had the opportunity and didn't want the person i was breaking the deal with to use the advantage i would have given them to steamroll me later. thing is, if you stab people in the back they will remember, and at that point you really can't afford it if your deck is shit.

honestly? don't invest money then, like we said, you've been playing magic for years so you should have a collection built up yeah? when i first got into edh i was estatic because suddenly all of these stupid rares i never used had a chance to have a use, and the chance at using cards i never had before excited me.

Mostly, it's been me not having any answers to my oponent's bombs (JtmS on turn 4, etc.), while having all of my "good" cards (anything over 5 CMC) being countered or immediately destroyed.

Interesting proposition, but someone at my table is already playing a modified version of that precon

Good idea, I love playing really janky decks that aren't bad but don't win 100% of the time. Any suggestions?

Next weekend I'll try this. Holding back and playing modestly rather than playing willy nilly. Maybe I've been playing too aggressive and I've been drawing too much hate.

>Good idea, I love playing really janky decks that aren't bad but don't win 100% of the time. Any suggestions?
any cards in particular you like? most jank can be made into a functional deck with the right amount of ramp and protection

jank you say? my friend let me show you a world of jank you never knew existed or wanted. there's an user on here who plays this cheeky bastard and i've wanted to build him ever since, sure he's floating around.

>Next weekend I'll try this. Holding back and playing modestly rather than playing willy nilly. Maybe I've been playing too aggressive and I've been drawing too much hate.
it's possible, the deck you have you kind of need to know when to drop your threats, if your shit is getting countered or destroyed it's because your opponents haven't played their threats yet, you're playing all of your threats and giving them something to counter or destroy, meaning removal's likely run out by the time the opponents start playing theirs.

Personally, I really like the idea of BIG sorceries and enchantments with interesting effects (primal surge, praetor's council, mind's dilation, eye of the storm, etc.). The problem is, everyone in my meta plays decks that try to kill as fast as possible, or play very efficiently and create optimal boardstates throughout the entire game. I don't think that slower, grindier decks would be very effective in this meta, so I think it would be difficult to play decks that would really scratch the itch that I'm looking for (and still be effective).

Fuck, that looks like a fun deck. I'm short on cash right now (senior in college, in the process of lining up a real job), so hopefully in a couple months I'll be able to make the deck that *I* want to play. Thanks for the advice on my current deck though, I'll try to put it into practice next time we play.

>Personally, I really like the idea of BIG sorceries and enchantments with interesting effects (primal surge, praetor's council, mind's dilation, eye of the storm, etc.). The problem is, everyone in my meta plays decks that try to kill as fast as possible, or play very efficiently and create optimal boardstates throughout the entire game. I don't think that slower, grindier decks would be very effective in this meta, so I think it would be difficult to play decks that would really scratch the itch that I'm looking for (and still be effective).
i've had success with this kind of deck as thrasios/vial smasher. spend 2 or 3 turns ramping the fuck out and you'll usually have 10+ mana by turn 5 or so.

after that the usual play is tutor for praetor's counsel and any time warp effect. taken an extra turn, the on that extra turn cast praetor's counsel to do it all over again. with the first spell you're casting on each of your extra turns triggering vial-smasher, you've almost always got a win from there.

it's like storm but BIGGER

hey man, best of luck. and like me and the other user said, grab all of your GW cards you've built up over the years, see what you can add to your deck while not spending any money. The important things in EDH are first and foremost, ramp, every deck has ramp, and green is arguably the best color in the format because of ramp. maybe you have some other cats laying around in your collection that would be useful? anything can help, and your precon is gonna need it

Really? No one else proxies?

I know my friends have some Modern proxies but is it not that common for Commander?

depending on your group it's either pretty common or DESPISED

since a big part of commander is slowly getting new pieces for your deck and improving it over time, a better option would be to use budget alternatives to the pricey cards you'd want to proxy instead

>DESPISED
Despised?

Is there a reason for this? I asked my friends and they said it was okay, but another member of the group said that generally the power level of the decks in the group is on the low since only a few have actually competitive decks (as in they used them in tournaments) and they don't like to just roflstomp.

Thanks anons. Vial smasher/UG looks cool too (maybe in the future...), but I'll try to stick to this cats deck for now to try and play a little smarter. Maybe in a few months, I'll have a small-to-decent cashflow and I'll be able to upgrade/replace my current deck. I'll try to report back next week (if anyone cares/remembers LOL) with how things are going. Appreciate the advice. Cheers.

No, not at all. The meta would turn ugly very fast.

Proxies are shit! SHIT! They are ugly and barely readable most of the time. But the worst thing is that normal players spend hours going through their collections and think of funny interactions with the cards they have. And then some turd comes along with a printed netdeck that he can't properly play. It's like a slap in the face.

people hate it because even in hypercompetitive commander groups, the focus is on the fun group dynamics and table politics. proxying cards to make your deck "better" tends to go against that. commander isn't the format for win at all costs strategies.
>as in they used them in tournaments
commander tournaments? sounds like a shitshow, stay away from those.

I'm not proxying OP decks, there's some theme decks I really like (Bear Force One being one I thought was funny), I don't usually like to play to win at all costs.

I think that's the general consensus among the group, proxy stuff that isn't broken as hell. I should probably ask them about it since I have an actual legal deck coming in next week.

don't netdeck. like half the point of EDH is the creativity that goes into brewing your own personalized deck. if you're just playing someone else's deck that you found online, you're missing out.

All right faggots, give me ONE good reason why you aren't playing this in your black decks.

because one of my opponents is meren and another is mimeoplasm and they don't mind the discard

Are 99 land decks ever worth it?

Just curious cause my friend told me about them (new to magic) and I thought that might be funny.

99 is a bit much, but there are a few commanders that can make super land-heavy decks work. Ashling the Pilgrim, anything that doubles your mana, and around 80 mountains is a really fun deck for low-powered metas. basically you can just stack her up to super high power and toughness while attacking your opponents each turn and threaten to blow her up if they attack you back.

another i've seen is Keranos. with a high land count you're gonna be drawing an extra card almost every turn, and the goal of the deck is to land a Treasure Hunt and draw most of your deck.

How is Kamahl?

He looks pretty funny, dude who literally turns the forest against enemies.

Question: If I pay ten mana and put the ability of Ashling the Pilgrim on the stack five times, wouldn't she just kill herself after the ability resolves for the third time and the rest of the stack vanishes? What do you need all the mana for in this deck?

For activating on all your opponents turns as well.

I feel like there has to be some fuckery with him and some effect that gives everything at least -1/-1. Like Elesh Norn or Night of Souls Betrayal.

this.
also you'll be playing a pretty good amount of fireball effects to finish people off after ashling has blown up a few times.

Wait you can pop Ashling's effect during other people's turns?

Also you can pop it multiple times?

the amount of autism in this thread over proxying is hilarious

he's not great for a 99 land deck, but he's definitely a fun commander. 1/1s don't mean shit and are likely to die, and turning a bunch of lands into creatures and overrunning a few times in a turn takes a FUCKTON of mana, so you'd get super outraced by other decks.

So is Ashling the Pilgrim, 80 lands, and 19 creatures/sorceries that offer some control/politics a good way to go then?

that is a fucking awful idea. Just make Ashling burn. Most decent burns are pennies

aether snap

>Wait you can pop Ashling's effect during other people's turns?
yes. creatures with activated abilities can be activated at any time, unless otherwise specified on the card (activate [cardname]'s ability only any time you could cast a sorcery).

hell yeah. for a low-power meta, ashling is dope. if you can get a basilisk collar on her or stick a repercussion, you'll wreck face.

don't listen to this guy, straight-up burn is awful when everyone has 40 life.

Isn't Burn pretty bad at multiplayer cause you got more HP to burn through?

The group I got is about 5 people with me included.

>Also you can pop it multiple times?
ashling dies, goes back to the command zone, and then you cast her again

No I mean you can use her ability (+1/+1 counters) multiple times per turn?

Thanks I think I'll get my more experienced friend to help me build the exact details.

fix the problem with your graveyard, add minor life gain and use the burns to control and deter hateful enemies. Build enough mana and large land destruction to play with large X spells and snipe.
l2politics
there is a learning curve to it. Bonus is a good burn deck is $150 max. I use Zo-Zu. Top8 (duel commander) the recent ZZ deck as a base

>No I mean you can use her ability (+1/+1 counters) multiple times per turn?
you can use it up to three times per turn. on the third use she blows up. this means you can use her ability twice your turn and then twice again on each opponent's turn. ashling grows huge and you can threaten to use it a third time if someone kills her or attacks you.

AW SHIT.

THAT SOUNDS AWESOME.

LIKE PLAYING A FUCKING SUICIDE BOMBER THAT GETS STRONGER EVERY TURN

What are some good mono-red political cards? Preferably cheap ones I can play until I get a huge land base.