>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/21Whc22e

>Previously, on /5eg/
I know most of you fags don't actually play, but those of you that do (or pretend that they do), can we have one of those threads?

Those threads?

I actually play. Reposting my question from previous thread to see if anyone's had it happen in their campaigns before

So my DM is apparently going to be giving me a homebrewed spell as part of special spellbook that I've been learning more spells from as I level up and decipher more of it.
How broken does it usually end up if a DM homebrews a spell?

Depends on the DM, the spell, and what spell level they're designing for.

How does gamebinder compare to the homebrewery?
Worth making the jump?

Spells are one thing that is pretty easy to get right, IMHO.

Do you have idea of what kind of spells can you expect?

>Spells don't normally work like that, but I do like the idea that, that is some type of rumor or urban myth amongst spellcasters

I'm curious does there exist any myths or sayings in your world about certain spells?

>If you keep casting Daylight you will burn your own eyes out!
>If You keep casting burning hands the digits on your fingers will turn into fire!
>If you keep casting Alter Self and one of the changes will be permanent!

>playing in a campaign
>we're monster emissaries trying to negotiate borders with human kingdoms
>first kingdom we visit, vizier tries to murder the royal family and pin it on the party
>spend the night in a cell, someone comes down to collect our statements
>time for court scene
>vizier starts freaking out and raving about how he'll open the portal to the hells and rule this kingdom's ashes
>oh, he's possessed
>bailiff shuts him up with a maul to the chest
>paladin casts Protection from Evil and Good
>vizier is lucid, starts talking about how he bargained with dark powers, thought he could control it
>asks us to kill him
>party flounders a bit trying to think of a solution
>only level 5, so no Dispel Good and Evil
>successful INT check from the rogue, DM says we could find a way to drive the demon out ourselves if we spent the time, but the vizier will go through horrible pain
>everyone looks at me, the zealot barb, to make a choice (for some reason not the paladin or bard who are much better faces than I am)
>decide to RP a speech about honor in ending your life for the sake of others, but also honor in enduring suffering for the sake of others, that we are guests in the land and will help carry out whatever sentencing the kingdom feels is right
>vizier doesn't think he can make it, asks the bailiff to just end it
>DM narrates the execution, vizier's eyes seem at piece when his head rolls to the side, people are morose and sad
>a bunch of dice get rolled behind the screen
>Expect this to be initiative to fight the shadowy being that was possessing him
>consults our character sheets, pulls the paladin player away from the table for a few minutes
>they both come back, paladin is on edge
>DM says, "Alright, so Paladin just got possessed. However, we both are concerned that this would be recognized by a good insight check, and it would be pretty anticlimatic. So please don't metagame on this one, ok?"
(cont.)

(cont.)
>Paladin player says, "Also, I'm on a timer before I get reduced to NPC status, so whatever we want to do, let's do it quickly"
>play out the scene before session ends with us carrying the body to be burned/buried
>Paladin is already using 'sinister and cold' speech patterns and is NOTICEABLY speaking differently than from before
>Can't roll Insight to see what's wrong with him though, because we can't metagame.

What do? We have a problem we can't solve because the DM explicitly told us to not notice it's a problem.

Sounds like shitty DMing

Somehow do Detect Evil spell, DM is a shit to make it that obvious then tell you not to do basically the most normal solution.

You have a DM that would make you cast all of your ice spells before casting a fire spell on a troll.

If the players know something in the game out of character, they know it in-character. If the DM says "Troll", then they know it's a troll.

Well it seems a shitty situation, but the dm and player seem to have some agenda. Perhaps your characters should investigate more into the vizier and the dark powers to indirectly find out.

>Me Barbarian, me hit stuff.
>REALLY hard though. One time I grappled with a bulette.

And of course the Paladin is the only one with the spells that would normally deal with this kind of stuff, and the Bard doesn't have Detect Thoughts.

We're just fucked, right? Only thing I can think of is to have the party travel to an enclave of mages we've heard about to see if anyone there can help us, but I don't know how to introduce the idea organically and independantly of knowing what's going on.

Someone posted a pdf of homebrew races for Curse of Strahd a while back and I forgot to save it. Anyone have it?

>Me don't trust this guy
>Me think smart mages can help

How the hell does poison work with ammunition?

Is it all used up on a single shot or does it cover the amount of shots ammo bundles are sold in?

Why can a character learn how to use a tool or vehicle over 250 (was it?) days, but not gain a single, even sinple weapon proficiency? How is a ship easier to learn to use than a dagger or a spear?

I'm pretty sure that it's one arrow/knife/sword etc. per dose. Speaking of which are there any creatures that are particularly vulnerable to poison?

Was looking at poisoner's kit, found it in basic poison in PHB.

Poison, Basic. You can use the poison in this vial to coat one slashing or piercing weapon or up to three pieces of ammunition. Applying the poison takes an action. A creature hit by the poisoned weapon or ammunition must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw or take 1d4 poison damage. Once applied, the poison retains potency for 1 minute before drying.

Daggers and spears are simple weapons. Everyone can use them.

This

A crossbow then, you know what I mean. What gives?

Is coffeelock overpowered if you apply the XGtE penalties for not taking a long rest?

Because they don't want you taking one meme timeskip and suddenly your level 2 wizard has heavy armor and heavy crossbow proficiency, I guess? Talk it over with your dm.

Wait, he got possessed? By what? Possession is charisma saving throw and paladin have high charisma and Aura of Protection (assuming he's level 6).
Ask for Cleric NPC, cough up some money or favor. For stopgap, ask DM to allow one of character to multi-class into Cleric, then perform Ceremony to at least restore his alignment. Turned into NPC is among the worse fate you'll ever get.

Reposting in search of the user for comments & more opinions on the Variant vs non-variant rules.

>'I roll 17, that's a hit right?'
>'No, you barely miss'
>'Are you sure?'
>'Yes, I am sure that 17 does not hit'
>'That doesn't sound right. I checked its stats before the session and AC should be 17'
>'Yes... and I changed the AC to suit the game. Believe me or not I'm not trying to bullshit you, I've tuned numbers several times throughout the campaign'
>'Why the fuck would you do that? You're messing with the balance and you're making it impossible to prepare for fights if the numbers are changed arbitrarily'
>'You're not supposed to know the numbers dude, and the balance is up to my discretion'
>'The game isn't fun if you have to guess and figure out the stats, there's much more strategy and tactics if you know exactly what you're dealing with'

Why do these retards not stay at home and play video games I don't fucking understand.

>He got possessed?
That's what he said
>By what?
Something that is like a Shadow, but not actually a Shadow.
>Possession is Charisma saving throw
I have no idea what was rolled, it was behind the screen, and he didn't ask us for our saves, he just looked at our character sheets.
>Aura of Protection
Nope, level 5
>Ask for Cleric NPC
I would, if I could recognize my party member was possessed. I know WHAT to do, but I CAN'T do it because we're not supposed to know he's possessed.

It probably was a nonstandard possession for the sake of the "plot" which DM shouldn't obviously do.
I was dumb enough to do it it once, though in my defense the person who got possessed lugged around a cursed magical crystal for weeks and acted greedy and selfish out of his own volition.

I mean... aren't the penalties for not taking long rest meant to represent lack of sleep, i. e. something you are EXPLICITLY EXEMPT FROM, since you took invocation that allows you not to sleep?

Which one of them you refer to as "retard"?

>I checked its stats before the session and AC should be 17
Tell the player to stop metagaming or you're going to stop inviting them to play. It's very simple.

The question is:
>Is coffeelock overpowered if you apply the XGtE penalties for not taking a long rest?
Not:
>Do the penalties for not taking a long rest apply to the coffeelock?

The question assumes they do apply.

These players are the worst. I have loads of fun trying to work out the monster stat block piece by piece over the course of battle. DM rewards us for being observant by giving us clues when he's changed up the stats for another encounter, such as

>This Ettin, while not nearly as vast as the one you fought before, is encase in what looks to be the cobbled together remains of armour from his previous kills. In addition he seems to be wearing a duo of circlets that the Wizard can sense abjuration magic from

We quickly figured out that his AC was improved, his wisdom saves improved and his HP lowered. Which was fun because it showed the cult we were fighting had seen us buttblast the last Ettin we sent at it and taken counter measures against our tactics. It was fun as fuck

>think up a reason for your Zealot to be suspicious
>talk loudly about how it’s such a shame a handsome and noble shadow was exorcised, you and he would make such a powerful team
>get possessed by greedy shadow
>have party members and Paladin at the ready
>kill self
>get rezzed for free
Absolutely foolproof
but seriously that sounds like a tough situation, yeah. Hopefully ya’ll can get around the dumb meta stuff.

If you have time/ the spell try revivify on the vizier in the hope the demon has left? then ask him about it.

Or ask the paladin to say a few holy words/prays over the body and notice if there is any hesitation? idk.

sounds like the dm has put you in a shitty spot.

So the problem is making your PC feel there's something wrong? Tough one, how about do something that against his oath or alignment? You have Rogue and dimwitted Barbarian for that. Then maybe your DM will allow Rogue do some insight/investigation check.

>I know most of you fags don't actually play, but...
That’s a Veeky Forums meme. Vast majority of us are in games or have played before

Tell me about the most recent edgefag in your party

The vast majority have played less than 20 sessions and never the same game more than 4 with month or year long sprees of no game in between.

I am well enough versed in logic to notice the difference, but autistic enough to answer nevertheless.

To answer your question, i have no fucking idea. It is still sorclock, which is something. If you skip one long rest, you can get about 8/16 sorcery points, which you could possibly convert into about 1-3 5th levels slots.

If you have Paladin team mate on 6+, started as Sorcerer for Con-save proficiency, you can easily get around +8 to your Constitution saving throw. That means you can get at least one sleepless night without almost any difficulty (as the starting DC is 10). Local theorycrafters could probably pump the bonus even higher.

I'd say it is very strong combo, but probably not so insanely broken one. It will perform better if players are proactive force in your campaign, pick time of their fights and face the danger prepared. If they are desperately fending off shit you threw at them, it will be much more in line with others.

Don't masturbate while you have burning hands memorized!
If you cough while casting mage armor, it lasts half as long.
Hands of poo, don't cook stew.

How to play the Homebrew Revised Way of the Four Elements Monk.

I've got bunch of those serving as explanation for the deals I've got with players about not abusing spells/abilities. For example consistently relying on magically conjured water and food is said to cause gastric ulcers, prolonged diet of goodberries supposedly makes you infertile, people greatly affecting economy with magic disappear without trace and not because of the competition.

Ghostwise Halfing Shadow Monk named Kage.

Lurked in the tavern corner and refused to join the adventure hook. DM told him to roll another character and he finally decided Kage had an urgent need to do some good.

>DM told him to roll another character
I like your DM already. Tell us more about him.

>Four Elements Monk
>Actually, is just one element

We had a Conquest Paladin in our previous campaign that was constantly pressuring women to have sex with him, it was getting really annoying and cringy and eventually the Barbarian and Ranger got in a fight with him over his behavior, he chose to left and DM ignored him for the rest of the session.

At the end he asked when he was going to get to do his stuff and DM told him when he comes back with a new sheet to join the party, his old character is off doing shit that isn't important so won't be getting any focus time.

Auch. What was it like from your point of view? I mean, i personally dislike conflict, and this sounds like one. What about the offenders? Did they learned their lessons?

Probably me, for a one shot
>triton oathbreaker
>raised by a coven of sea hags
>told he was a prince, rightful heir to the throne and that he was destined to lead by murdering the imposter king
>captured by the guards when he tried it, king showed mercy and shared the true history of his kingdom
>forsakes his oath of conquest and returns to slaughter the hags before becoming an adventurer and traveling
> he was raised wrong, as a joke

What is the consensus on Tomb of Annihilation?

I was playing a Sorcerer and probably would have dogpiled on the Paladin if he hadn't stormed off in a huff, the character was super obnoxious and everyone was tired of his shit.

People seems to quite like it overall. Explorations is awesome, but the Tomb itself doesn't fit well with the rest of the module, since it is sudden shift in the feel. Outside, it is comfy exploration (as comfy as dinosaurus infested jugnle can be), inside, it is deadly OS trap.

Haven't read the module, this is opinion formed purely from /5eg/.

You had an Oath of Conquest paladin wasting time on dat p00sie? Golly, he must sure be the fucking embodiment of fear and badassery.

He decided that what he wanted to conquer was women. Treated it like a joke but spending 20 minutes demanding to make persuasion checks to seduce everything remotely female every single session got fucking old.

>Fang of the Fire Snake
>Fist of Unbroken Air
>Water Whip
>Enduring Mountain Stance

Just to name a few starters

Only 8/16 sorc points?

I think he meant the character

I would have liked to see the DM punish this in-game instead. Binding yourself to an oath and then being a horny teenager thereafter seems like the easiest way to piss off the Powers in some way.

I wish i’d play... but i’m stuck as a forever DM.

Can you email me a copy of the study you conducted for that information? I would love to peer review it

Right, it is actually more like 16-24, depending on whether you are Warlock2 or Warlock3.

I meant the whole fight as an example for how to play a Way of the Four Elements monk. Not just one person in that one.

>Kung Pow
Nice

That's one way to build it, aiming for still getting to 9th level spells. Another is to get closer to parity, something like 12 Warlock/8 Sorc. There you trade out higher level spell slots for more lower level spell slots, something like 120 sorcery points worth per 'long' rest.

Which kinds of people would be eligible to vote in a viking election of a king? Would people get just one vote each, or would people be mostly equal (but some more equal than the others)?

>king
>elected
If you want to do it that way then the ones voting would be the jarls and whatnot, people of importance and not some dirt farmers.

If it’s a High King, then only lords would vote. Not just saying that because of Skyrim.

Depends on if your Vikings are democratic

Each clan gets one vote, you need both a majority of votes, and a majority of armed forces to become king. If all the weak shitty clans band together to form a majority of votes but the minority includes the strongest clans then you get civil war.

>people of importance
That's why I'm asking - which people would be considered important? Does owning a ship make you important enough to be renowned?

"On affairs of smaller moment, the chiefs consult; on those of greater importance, the whole community; yet with this circumstance, that what is referred to the decision of the people, is first maturely discussed by the chiefs. They assemble, unless upon some sudden emergency, on stated days, either at the new or full moon, which they account the most auspicious season for beginning any enterprise. (…) An inconvenience produced by their liberty is, that they do not all assemble at a stated time, as if it were in obedience to a command; but two or three days are lost in the delays of convening. When they all think fit, they sit down armed. Silence is proclaimed by the priests, who have on this occasion a coercive power. Then the king, or chief, and such others as are conspicuous for age, birth, military renown, or eloquence, are heard; and gain attention rather from their ability to persuade, than their authority to command. If a proposal displease, the assembly reject it by an inarticulate murmur; if it prove agreeable, they clash their javelins; for the most honorable expression of assent among them is the sound of arms.

In the same assemblies chiefs are also elected, to administer justice through the cantons and districts. A hundred companions, chosen from the people, attended upon each of them, to assist them as well with their advice as their authority." - Tacitus's Germania, Chapter 12

Depends on whether the powers that be decide to open the vote to the "commoners". It would make sense that local heroes/spiritual leaders would be asked firrst.

Maybe owning a certain amount of land for eligibility to vote, then other things like status and merit give you more votes. If you want a say in the fate of the land, you need to actually have an investment in the land, and the more esteemed you are, the more your say matters.

>King
>Vote
Listen, strange women lying in pond, distributing sword is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some fancy aquatic ceremony.

Will a Leomund's Tiny Hut be able to stop sunlight from burning up vampires?

>Fist of Unbroken Air someone off of a cliff
>Water Whip them back up
>loop next turn

Burns through KI like no one's business, but that sounds pretty fun.

>owning one ship
No. That'd make you a merchant, maybe a well off one, but a Thane or Jarl has the command of armed forces in addition to ships, owns land, and has lots o money.

Yes, however whether it stops sunlight damage on-cast or not is probably up to DM interpretation, as the caster can command the sphere to change lighting from light to dim to dark and vice versa. The sphere is also opaque on the outside so, I don't know if it actually lets in sunlight or has its own magic light source.

Ok how does this sound for a final bbeg? An organized crime syndicate with 8 different leaders, each incredibly powerful in their own right. I was going to have them be set up in a magic tower that is 8 floors and each floor is themed around that particular crimelord. To stop PC's from being stomped I was going to give them a macguffin that is essentially long rest in a can, and give them 5-8 charges. Is this too video gamey? If so does that matter?

(spoiler)Also yes I stole this straight from Overlord(\spoiler)

It is too video gamey, but for different reasons.
Why the fuck don't they just gang up upon the PCs together and kill them all? Why do they all stay neately separated on their floors and wait for the party to come and kill them?

>(spoiler) and (\spoiler)

It is too video gamey (and also blatantly animu), now, does that matter? Depends on the campaign and your group

A better way to do this is have the 8 crimelords have separate bases and be in competition with one another. As they level up they defeat a few of them as they are on level to challenge one at a time, then in the second half some team up to take them on together, then finally there is just the one Big Bad Crimeboss with his top two or three dudes and they have to fight them as a group.

Or go real crazy and make the biggest baddest crimeboss a high level Trickery Cleric who makes his lieutenants cut off their pinky fingers and present them to him, then once you go to face him you find out he's been using the pinkies to resurrect his fallen allies and now you have to fight the entire lineup in one final showdown.

This user is spouting good ideas. Listen to him.

I really like this, but I don’t like being a snowflake and being The Avatar himself. I might use this and specialize in Earth or Water (the best elements).

That doesn't mean every single person in the world who has never encountered a troll knows that they regenerate unless fire or acid is used. That's why knowledge rolls used to exist, I still use them as a straight Int check.

It's like when I had a new player, knew absolutely nothing about any of the monsters that aren't in the pounded into your face in school mythological beasts. She was playing a sorceress (in PF) and used a cantrip that did cold damage on a skeleton. She hit and I explained, after some narrative fluff which led her to asking if it meant it took half damage, that it took no damage.

She freaked out and asked why, I explained and she started complaining about why I let her cast the spell. Asked her if her character had ever encountered an animated skeleton before, said no. Asked her if she had ranks in knowledge (religion) knowing she didn't, said no. Explained to her that that pretty much means her character (and her) learned something that day.

Continued to bitch and complain that I let her "waste a spell" knowing it wouldn't do anything.

Honestly... When new players take things in stride rather than acting like this girl... I kinda prefer newbies over seasoned players. They don't know what to expect, they actually learn as they play and don't have to try as hard to hold back metagaming.

That said, it's a dick move to not give any indication that a certain damage type doesn't seem as effective as another one. But as far as "making you use all you ice spells before fire" against a troll is... Well, beyond stupid even if we are trying to avoid metagaming. Mainly because the DM doesn't get to decide your spell for you or force you to use a specific spell so... Don't know how that works even in an obviously over exaggerated example.

This is when a certain DM I know would have thrown in a plane-shifted gully dwarf female who falls in love with the strong handsome paladin and then follows him around forever.

>Earth
>Water
>Best
I think >(You) meant Fire.

>I really like this, but I don’t like being a snowflake
Everyone is a snowflake to be completely transparent. Even the regular 4 elements monk is a "snowflake" you won't be running into NPCs who have the same features as you.

Still no shame in wanting to specialize in one element. Makes you better than the rest!

I mean come on fire and air is where it's at! Flying around shooting concussive fire blast from your fist, can't be topped.

>not fire earth to throw lava at your enemies
Kek

Yeah, that's pretty cool too, can't lie. Lets compromise through Melf's Minute Meteors.

The amount of clashing art styles disgusts me greatly.

MOTHERFUCKING CROWFORCE.

The one anime picture does hurt my eyes as well, but its so hard to find a nice transparent png of a spellsword or something similar so I went with that one.

Magnetic lasso is an easy tool to use.

I don't own photoshop.

DMG errata removes the 1 minute time limit. It's potent until the weapon hits or is cleaned off.

Neither do I.

Nice! Good looks user.

GIMP is a free alternative.