WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>This planet is ours, witch!
youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>Heed His words!
youtu.be/wxWgsqSf74s

>Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

cheap-n-fast.com/catalog/1684
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>no futa on male OP pic
damn

How do you get over anxiety of painting expensive units?

Tried something new with my Phoenix Hawk's cannon. Does it look like total dogshit?

The most expensive OOP mini I own is currently in the hands of my game store owner, working on it as a commission.

Looks thicc

I know. I started this mini a while ago and I'm just getting around to finishing it. The Robotech RPG minis are so fiddly and in so many pieces I don't trust it not to break under a post-greenstuff toothbrushing.
Mostly, I'm just concerned with how the coloration on the barrel came out.

The gun looks real nice, pretty much everything else looks extra thick.

Yeah, I definitely gotta find something to replace that craft store white. I like the color of it, but it goes on pretty streaky without a few coats.
For what it's worth, I'm moving away from that particular spec.
I'll put up my newer 'mech when it's more than just a basecoat and drybrush

You mean your Valkyrie?
Man, remember that Robotech kickstarter?
What a mess.

If you're using it for Battletech, it's a Phoenix Hawk. Valkyries look totally different.

>Man, remember that Robotech kickstarter?
Not really, because I got this off ebay ages after that kickstarter ran.

Skellingtons for Nagash.

Still not sure how to paint the fabrics of my army, tried a purple Grey on three middle guy but it looks sloppy, maybe a pure Grey would be better.

Have you considered a darker shade of green or teal?

Will you settle for this?

Tried it but it just ended up with too much green/teal on the model, I think I need a neutral or contrasting color.

Might try Mechanicus Standard Grey next or maybe the Slaanesh Greys.

Fiancée's Death Guard test model.

>a gw model that isn't just based/washed/edge highlighted
nani?

Painted these two boys up this week as well as a quick little objective marker for a tournament. First time doing OSL, what do you guys think? Any tips for getting smoother color gradients (like on the smoke)?

>58032715
Begone with yee degeneracy, hellbound heathen

thats beautiful so fan user

Try an army green. Did wonders for my skellingtoons.

How are you going to base the models? Could be a help on what colour to chose.
that's... surprisingly cool!

Probably a dark brown/Grey like Skavenblight Singe with dead grass.

Thought of going for an earthy brown colour? Tying them slightly to the base that way?

>put together a bloat drone earlier
>realized halfway through that the tubesock snout drops a bit too low and doesn't mesh well with the fleshmower
Fug.
I mean it fits but it looks cluttered.

Reposting my diorama base as people thinks thats more interesting the the plane itself sadly...

How do my tanks look so far? I just finished the second russ today, the one in the middle.

I've got.. a bunch more tanks to do and they're in various stages of production. I've completely lost inspiration for my infantry so I've shelved them. I guess I'm building an armored column until I figure out what to do with my lads.

>Zany 2nd ed looking camo
totally rad dude

where'd you get that "2" decal? I want them for my DKOK tanks

You sure It's your first time?
Either way, gradients after a certain point almost always require wet blending which Is easier than most people say It Is but harder than It has any right to be.

Here's an attempt at better lighting. I'll just take the fuckers outside tomorrow.

I got it with the cadian defense force.

well shit, very nice tanks, airbrush?

Yeah, I did the base work, shading and some of the exhaust grime with an airbrush. I love the thing I can't highly recommend anyone getting one enough. The rest I did with nonsense I learned from that fancy forgeworld "masterclass" how to paint book. My lenses suck though, got to practice them more.

i've been curious about airbrushes, I'm guess you can't do it in a basement or anywhere that isn't well ventilated

I got a good starter kit with brush, hose and tankless compresser on amazon for around 80$. I then had to drop 30$ on a proper paint respirator mask, and 20$ on an airbrush cleaner and brush thinner. My desk is right next to my window so I have that open with a fan venting outside and my mask on when I paint and no problems. If you're curious about them I can only suggest getting a starter one in your price range as well as the mask and just playing around with it.

i see, thanks for the pointers user

My latest conversion. I wanted multiple primaris psykers but I hate using the exact same model twice, unless it's a vehicle.

More work on these angry/surprised stunties. Going for a sort of murderous Time Bandits vibe

If your dick isn't out while you're painting, you aren't painting right

made a start on this tonight, pretty happy so far.

It's nature's brush holder!

fuckin ace. Can't wait to see it painted

really liked the colors

first up Honored Hunter Tovahl of the Sons of Malice. Really fun to paint up this dude, my white technique looks nice and is easy as fuck
>base white
>wash with nuln
>paint back over with white

oh god he looks hideous up close at least he works from the table top

next up is a celebrant, first time using actual glazing looks ok, not too happy with him but hopefully I'll get it down

looks hella streaky even on the black and that grey highlighting is really really thick.
Thin your paints more, do more layers and wait for them to dry before you do the next one.

Veteran tactical legionary Koresh

Super new, have a small question.

Can this be used as primer? No one has been clear. I have a can of primer as well just in case.

Also tips for priming for the first time?

Anyone have advice for painting the transparent "magic" parts on the DnD minis? I have most of the Reaper paints, didn't want to try just thinning them a lot for it until I knew it would look decent.

final for the night, Gazzeh the Headsman Champion of the 8th

jesus, what a low quality cast. please tell me that's a recast

What more should I be doing if I'm already using a wet palette?

Still chunky but it looks alot nicer from farther away

from a distance it's ok, that grey highlight on the face is far too thick though

yes it is, my waifu got me a bunch of "genuine" product for christmass, the fact it was a quarter of the price and was coming from Russia did not set off alarms

Thinning more?
A wet pallet doesn't instantly make paint amazing consistency. Use water, thinner, medium whatever

ok but then how do I avoid clumping up my model? When I try and do many thin layers I tend to lose all the details

I guess it can be. Duncan (Peace Be Upon Him) seems to prefer using white or black paint as the initial coat and than painting other coats on.
Army Painter has a bunch of rattlecan color primers but I don't know how good those are.

If nothing else you spray the sprue first to see what happens.

the army painter primers i've used (dark red and the purple one) have had really good coverage and I'd recommend them. Got to spray a lot closer than you'd think though and it's pretty odd if you're used to using the GW sprays

>a waifu that's willing to learn enough about your dumb, expensive hobbies to be able to find Russian recasters
She's a keeper.

it was on ebay surprisingly, the pictures they had are not what I got and that seller is gone now kek. I told her to get me some horus heresy things and wrote exactly the names ect of things I wanted

I tried doing some wetblending on the smoke but it dried to fast for any good effect, or Id have trouble with having too much paint on the area.

Experimenting a bit with the green on the big mushroom what do you guys think so far?

Also any suggestions on how i should paint the centipedes? Living and dead one.

looks cool to me user

>FLGS out of Agrax Earthshade
>go home and blow 80 bucks at the war store
I have no goddamn self control in online stores

I need more Earthshade as well. So little in my pot it's starting to become gelatin and doesn't apply right.

First wraith for a 1k nighthaunt list. The spirit effect is really fun to paint.

You're not going thin enough. You should be able to do many thin layers without losing detail. You want the paint to be thin enough that you can see the paint underneath it, hence the multiple layers to get an even coat.

This is among the sillier miniatures that I have painted. After deliberating on a color scheme I think that it is coming along well.

digging the chad hair I sculpted for my prince Vhordrai

What spirit was that cork for originally?

It was just a one buck chuck that I got for some spaghetti from what I can recall.

what are these models? theyre awesome

thank you user. absolite chadvamp

They are Confrontation models. Currently OOP, but there is supposed to be a Kickstarter to put them back in production and actually make new models. It's a nice range, but after 10+ years it is kind of dated.

Skin finished and rest of the mini base coated. Started painting the boils but man I forgot how tedious painting boils is. Need to paint the rest, highlight them all, highlight all the pink bits then do his bum flap. Not sure what colour to do his horn, suggestions? Probably some kind of black but might go coloured instead.

Nice colours and cool effect. Think about light source and reasons for gradients. Should every panel have a 0-100 gradient?

Cool as f.

I'd do the opposite, make it a richer purply brown.

Mushroom looks good. Just do some googling for the centipedes, you've got red, blue, green, orange, yellow on the model already, you'll get away with almost anything.

Looks very good.

nigga wtf is the matter with you

Seems to be a pretty common use for this model, but I'm converting this guy into a tech adept for a small Inq28 retinue I'm planning on doing. Still a lot to do but it's good fun.

Always super cool to see your stuff posted, keep it up with that big man he looks fantastic.

What kind of cable should I use to pin a Kharadron Frigate? The flying base it comes with is almost comical.

Anyone know of a weapon like pic related for something Marine sized, or more specifically something the size of an Aggressor.

working on my starpriest, finished most of the skin and the feathers, still got some detailwork and blending to do. critique wanted!

Something like this, maybe?

The mushroom looks great, user. The rich green going into a more muted green gives an illusion of translucency, it looks quite organic.

Damn, hes looking great. Love the skin.
Neat conversion, although could use something more on the side with the plasma gun.
Really nice colors dude! Love the blending youve got

Ordinatus pretty much done.

An important point people tend to forget is that thinning is important, but not overloading your brush is just as crucial.

That's why you see all tjose guys doing tutorials using their nails or their thumb to paint a tiny bit before actually applying the paint on the model. That way you get rid of any excess paint/liquidity.

That did cross my mind. Its too bad id have to get it from a primarch set. And i wouldn't have any real idea of where to fit a lorgar into my own plans.

What's your chapter?

Nothing special. I post here every now and again, I posted the modified Deathwing knights colored red and black with the fire colored power weapons. Its just a successor chapter for the BA I had in mind. I've been playing TWWH 2 lately and there's a mod that adds tilea with borgia the besieged as a LL and I was inspired by his look for my chapter master

Tell me how to do better.

Also mine, the army will be about 2:1 Kabals:Cults, so the need to work together (which I think they do).

You could have Lorgar as a tall ass Master of Faith. Just switch his weapons, give him a helmet and you're good to go.

cheap-n-fast.com/catalog/1684

I have been dicking around with my Chaos army for a while and finally feeling somewhat happy about it. Big difference is the green shoulderpads and the armor plates on the drone and dread? Basing also helped out a ton.

I still think some of the units are too dark, especially the marines in the far back. Should i lighten up the armor with layers?

The horns look very similar to the armor making everything blend in. I quite like the pink tentacles so perhaps say fuck it and go for pink horns? Could really use some advice on colors.

I am also considering a centerpiece or something cool to finish this force of. Any tips? Or would i need to bash out a list for that?

pic related, auto-everythinged in photoshop

What is this meme? Is it because the guy only takes 1 wound from attacks?

Maybe put something small on the bases to personalise it more than just "grey dirt"? I use 1-2 tiny crimson flowers on my snow bases and it's a nice touch to tie everything together.

You're right that everything gets lost in each other. You could pick out key details just a bit more, for example the bell-dude. Or add a contrasting colour to those dudes only.

so now it's sanded and primed but I won't be able to finish painting this MF. I don't have the time and too many other projects ...

If you don't want it, I'll take it.

Mace of Absolution from Deathwing Knights.

black, to match the rest of your daemons (I think they have black horns?)

Pretty fucking cool.