/5eg/ Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition General

>Unearthed Arcana: Into The Wild(world of trash UA)
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_IntoTheWild.pdf

>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/21Whc22e

>Previously, on /5eg/
What is the highest level your campaign has ever reached? What was your role (Player/DM) and did you enjoy it?

I've seen pictures of guys wearing plate armor on their limbs with chain, coat of plates or even cloth armor on the torso. Any idea what that shit is called?

Posted in the new thread, sorry.

I'm trying to refine my paladin since. I feel like I have some redundant traits

The backstory is long, but the gist of it is that he has a soldier background, and his best friend/idol was a paladin who broke his oath for power/in service to a lich who had been manipulating the other side of the conflict. So he swears an oath of vengeance

Personality Traits I have
-I judge people by their actions, not their words
-My favor, once lost, is lost forever.
-If you do me an injury, I will crush you, ruin your name, and salt your fields.
-(was thinking of something pertaining to having a soldier's superstition about luck, having led small companies of soldiers, and tying into a mild gambling trait, as he is also proficient with dice, whatever that means).

Ideals:
-Fairness: No one should get preferential treatment before the law, and no one is above the law.
-Respect: Respect is due to me because of my position, but all people, regardless of station deserve to be treated with dignity.
-Greater good: My gifts are meant to be shared with all. No matter the cost to myself.
-Justice: Evil acts must be met with swift justice.

again these are kinda really a work in progress.

Bonds:
-I will never forget the betrayal I suffered at the hands of the hero I idolized.
-I've learned that true evil will often claim righteousness, and wear it as a mask.
-My isolation gave me great insight into a great evil, that only I can destroy.
-A part of me blames myself for my friend's betrayal, I feel responsible for those deaths.
-Mercy can not be shown to my sworn enemies. Those who have wronged me will pay, no matter the cost.

This part is where it gets crazy redundant unless I trim some.

Flaws I have:
-I am never satisfied with the good I've done.
-I am inflexible in my thinking, those who do wrong must be punished.
-I will never fully trust anyone other than myself.
-I assume the worst in people, when their motives are in question.

its not great

>What is the highest level your campaign has ever reached? What was your role (Player/DM) and did you enjoy it?
1 to 15, theoretically last session would earn 16th. I was the DM. It was fun, but drama started within party and I decided to just end it.

In general I just keep the game rolling until something prevents me from continuing it.

Judge by actions, fairness, i'll never forget, i am infleble.

There, done.

>Into The Wild(world of trash
Is there a concise explanation of why this is shit? I don't feel like forming my own opinions today.

Its basically the same as what everyone has been doing and doesn't add anything worthwhile

It's less that it's shit and more that it's mostly redundant. The joke that the next UA would be "how to roll dice" is a result of that. TL;DR, it was less terrible and more disappointing.

>Make one shot campaign
>Players meet in essentially one stop employment center
>PCs meet quest giver
>Roleplay well, persuade him to give more gold
>Manage to even have NPC put half up front to pay for gear
>Instead take large sum on money and go straight to brothel
>Never show up at meeting place to go on quest
>Blow all money on whores, spend days there basically fucking full time
>Funds run out, players literally turn to crime
>Steal shit, pawn it, etc for money and go back to brothel

Who else /immatureparty/ here

Three 20th level campaigns. I DMed 1 and my gf DMed the other two. One of my two campaigns I'm running right now is close to the end and they're at 19th level.

I thoroughly enjoyed playing and DMing in them, though. It was fun to figure out what to send out to thoroughly challenge 6 20th level characters.

So I have a player who started out as a Chaotic Neutral Barb, but over the course of levels 1-4 ended up being a Chaotic Good. He is charitable as fuck and goes out of his way to help people. Dude has given away like 50% of his total earning to people as tips/charity/to his fellow party members. Most recently he risked life and limb to help save a woman and her child (Which included giving them all his rations and going into Exhaustion 3) in order to help them be alive and healthy. Afterwards, she tried to repay him materially and he refused, and that night she tried to fuck him, which he also refused

I want to reward this, and am thinking about offering him the chance to be "redeemed" into the Paladin order. I can tell he is pretty bored of Barbarian, but is making the best of it. My running idea is that all his good deeds got back to a group of Paladins who serve Torm. These Paladins seek out the Barbarian and suggest he commune with the spirit of Torm at their temple. If he accepts he will have the opportunity to Multiclass into a Paladin as he enters level 5 (Which would happen after the ceremony). I talked to the rest of the players in private and they are all more than OK with it.

To facilitate this I would shift a bunch of AB out of Dex/Con/Str and fix his shit.
Current > New:
Str: 16 > 14
Dex: 17 > 10
Con: 16 > 16
Int: 9 > 10
Wis: 8 > 10
Cha: 8 > 14

Has anyone ever done something like this? Does it sound cool or am I just fucking with shit I shouldn't? Should I give him an advance (or a "boon") to his ASI so his Strength doesnt need to go down?

My ultimate goal is to show them that RP and developing a character is important to me, as most of my players are just robots

half plate but reversed?

Yeah, thanks.

Essentially, you can describe it that way but i bet it has a real name.

>Players and DM live like an hour away from each other
>no reliable places to play
>Used to play at work (halfway point) but can't go to contamination issues
>online is not an option

What do

Play at a games store. They're usually full of fucking tables for this sort of thing, there's bound to be one in the middle of everyone

Too many people and it gets loud

Then just go to anywhere you can find, jesus christ. Play in a fucking park or some shit you have to make a sacrifice somewhere

Ok guys, assuming you have group and you are dming, but no decision has been made on what to run, or what characters everyone will play as, whatd o you ask in a session 0 to get this shit figured out and underway.

Asking for a friend.

We're having trouble thinking of places where they wouldn't mind us hanging out all day. Outdoors isn't good

What is session 0 anyway?

We literally just told our GM we wanted to play and he's like sure, make a 5e character for a fantasy setting. Next thing we knew, we were in a game

I was thinking of just giving all armors 16 ac, since this is pretty much what the game does anyway. Then you can make your armor +1 (stacks with magical +1) for money and/or wear a shield. Plate would be +1, making it 17 and then the fitting for a ton of money would give it another +1 for the 18.

Otherwise, i was thinking of allowing armor an ability per short rest depending on the material. Such as padded absorbing a bludgeon attack or whatever. Fluff wise this is the armor being damaged by the blow and unable to do it again until serviced.

Is disguising without a disguise kit just deception attempts?

Only if he actually has something to disguise with. Otherwise, you should probably rule it as impossible. I mean, there is only so much you can do to look like someone else with just your hands.

It's the same way that a creature using a goodberry to recover hp is recovering hp from goodberry. It's self-evident. Definitional. The creature that receives dragon breath uses dragon breath on its victims. The creature that receives enlarge isn't using enlarge on its victims. It's just attacking.
DMG has poison errata. They work completely different from what you were told. You would know this if you'd searched the very thread you asked your question in before asking.

Repostan a homebrew feat I'm considering allowing from last thread. The intention is to allow more shapeshifting options so that levels 10 and up for moon druids aren't just all-fire-elemental-all-the-time. Mind telling me if there are any obvious problems?

>Monstrous Shifter
>Prerequisite: Druid
You have learned to channel your Wild Shape to transform yourself into wild creatures that go against the natural order of the world. You may use your Wild Shape to transform into monstrosities as well as beasts, as long as the monstrosity abides by the restrictions in the Beast Shapes table, does not have an Intelligence of 8 or higher, and is not itself a shapechanger. This new transformation follows all the rules for Wild Shape, with the exception that you do not gain resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage if the monstrosity has it.
If you use your Wild Shape to transform into a creature that has an alignment besides Unaligned or Neutral, you must make a Charisma saving throw with a DC equal to 10 plus the CR of the creature. If you fail the saving throw, your alignment changes to match the creature's. This change in alignment persists after you return to your normal form, until you finish a long rest.

I've worked out what new shapes they'd gain:
Level 6 - Ankheg, carrion crawler, ettercap, grick, shadow mastiff
Level 8 - Harpy, hippogriff, griffin
Level 9 - Basilisk, cave fisher, displacer beast, hook horror, manticore, minotaur, owlbear, phase spider, trapper, winter wolf
Level 12 - Girallon
Level 15 - Bulette, catoblepas, gorgon, roper, young remorhaz
Level 18 - Chimera

Any obviously broken options? Any blatant problems that I haven't noticed? Is this balanced? If not, what would it take for you to consider it balanced? Would it work better as a magic item than a feat?

What are the odds of rolling two ones with advantage?

1 in 400

but it's a 1 in 400 chance to roll any other combination
so the chance is really 100%

your paladin would want to kill mine lol

it's basic universal mechanics

The odds are calculated as "Rolling two dice simultaneously, choosing the higher value" in this case thats simply the probability of 1/20 X 1/20, or 1 in 400. as says

this man understands math poorly

50/50, you either do or you don't.

>and you are dming, but no decision has been made on what to run

so pick something retard

session 0 is about how the half-elf is the half-orcs brother and the two variant humans served in the war with the dwarf. it's about how the party knows each other instead of "we all justhappentobeinnabar" shit.

none of that changes what you run you fucking mong

what are the odds of rolling the same number on two d20s?

Tell me about your favorite urban adventures/campaigns.

I was in a campaign that got to level 18 as a player- it was fun but with two fullcasters in the party we started to see the cracks in the system- consequence free wishes with Simulacron, plane shifting to other planets, etc.

The odds of rolling doubles on any two of the same dice is the same as the odds of rolling any single number on one die.

aka. 1/20

How'd your last session go, Veeky Forums?

>I'm DMing
>part trekking through a spooky, unexplored forest looking for a missing family
>get attack by cockatrices during the day just as they find the family, all turned to stone
>overnight while they wait for the effects to fall off, they are attack by weird plant wolves
>they absorb the bodies of their fallen allies to heal and grow more powerful
>they catch an evolved one alive
>going to give it to the local crotchety arch wizard as a gift, and so he can experiment on it
>Next time, we go deeper

also
>finish DMing
>close 27 tabs

Maybe don't nerf his strength if you are trying to reward him

They wasted more than a month on
>add a new skill to not get lost

One of the campaigns I'm running has the party playing as Arcops, full casters who focus on fighting crimes involving magic.

So far they've broken up a Cockatrice fight ring, a black market scroll and potion market, recaptured a supply of Arcop Wands and are currently working their way towards taking down a Succubus/Incubus pair who are slowly taking control of all the brothels in the city.

Valor Bard, Moon Druid (the party's assigned D-9), Trickery Cleric, Abjuration Wizard, Draconic Sorcerer, War Cleric.

It's pretty great.

I hope you're not the same people who think WoTC should be rolling out two core books a year.

What if its a half-elf trying to hide the fact that they're a half elf by covering their ears, and having a beard. Like the PHB mentions some half elves doing.

How would you handle that?

Stuff like GWM uses the weapon's attack type.
>Slashing
>Bludgeoning
>Piercing
What about weapons that do multiple types of damage? E.g. A flaming warhammer
Does the +10 get split between types?

>Conquest paladin kills our captive for insulting his order while we're attempting to gather info
>Redemption paladin gives him shit for being bloodthirsty
>Devotion paladin holds the Conquest paladin back from attacking Redemption paladin
>Crown paladin sits on the sideline, watching them bickering in amusement
>Vengeance paladin is busy hacking apart the corpse of the half-dragon who was leading the group we just slaughtered
>I (Ancients) walk off to go pick some flowers to weave into a crown to wear on my helmet while Redemption and Conquest bicker

Pretty great.

where would he get the beard

>I'm DMing
>party's ranger plays a game of catch-the-greased-up-street-urchin for the title of ultimate ranger badass
>get to mind-control various party members with worms
>my weird homebrew flying centipede thing makes for a decent fight
>get to introduce my wood nymph druid npc
>player gives me a six pack of pretty good beer on the way out
All in all I think it went well.

Half elves can grow beards, mate.

You're telling me that a bunch of useless shit is the same as whining about books? Fuck off.

So is a half dwarf/half elf one of Santa's Elves?

Please expand Ranger spell list

PLEASE

Gauntlets and greaves as a fashion statement.

>be in roll20 group
>playing warlock who's little sister died
>a few sessions in we meet a little mute girl, my character adopts her because she reminds him of sister
>she basically becomes a party member, everyone loves her
>few sessions later 2 people quit, no one cares because they were tards who barely even RPd
>remaining players do a mini dungeon, find a shitton of items, including some mysterious cards
>some new players join the game next session
>we go to the town and meet them, do some RP, sleep at an inn together
>the cards make everyone have nightmares that give various bonuses/negatives (apparently rolled at random by the DM)
>mute girl NPCs nightmare is she has to fight a CR6 creature in a dream (she was a lvl6 rogue and had to fight it alone)
>dm picks one of the players to pick a CR6 creature from monster manual and play it
>one of the new guys volunteers before I can say anything
>he picks a chimera because it's the first cr6 creature in the MM
>npc is a level 6 arcane trickster rogue
>npc gets fucked by chimera in the dream, dies in real life, turns into ash
>my char appeals to patron but there is apparently no way to bring her back
>she's dead forever
>mfw fucking newfaggot just picked a chimera because it was the first cr6 monster he saw, didn't even bother to shop around
>now character I was emotionally invested in is gone forever because of bad RNG and retarded teammates, nothing I can do about it
>none of the other players even seem to care, even the ones who were friends with NPC
Am I wrong for being butthurt about this? I'm seriously considering quitting the game.

So the Other Half-Plate?

CR6 monsters are balanced against a party of level 6 players, not a single one. That was some absolute retardation on your DM's part as well, to the point where I'm wondering if he was tired of the character and wanted to kill them off.

>having family in D&D
that was your mistake, it's best to be just a loner, cause it's just wayyyyyyyyyy too tempting to DMs to fuck over player's family, even adopted, if they make them some sort of focal point.

What do you think, maybe leave WIS at 8 then? I guess becoming a Paladin wouldnt make you any more wise

I don't think I would include minotaur , but if one of my players wanted to use this, I would give it a two-game trial.

>party enters an endless abyssal prison
>goal is springing two captives, one former bbeg wizard with the means to get them out, if freed from his cell
>the other, one of the characters fathers, a former pc who had followed a specific demon to the abyss to end it permanently
>the prison seemingly shifts occasionally, and has various traps that put you in cells, but our goal is the bottom floor of the main citadel, so its static at least
>a party member gets dumped into a room with several pic related, luckily not attracting more attention since it was a secure trapped room
>free and rescue the character, but wake up several prisoners in the process, including a bone devil and a blue dragon
>we try to skirt it's cage, but the dragon snags of us on the way, trades freedom for the life
>polymorph dragon, since it was willing, to a bunny, and let it loose, but maintain concentrating until we can get far away
>party suspects more of the crawlers, and had figured out the observation thing, so we close eyes in and ooc as we make our way past, hoping we make
>manage to stumble into trap door, which lands us on bottom floor, and find the two we were looking for, and decide to go kill the dragon so it can't get us while escaping, end session

This was my first thought as well...but the dreams were rolled from a random table (players made the rolls) so I can't really accuse the DM of foul play.
That's the thing bro, my character *was* a loner, his whole family died along with his sister. I thought this NPC was the DM trying to set up an arc but...then this happened.
Maybe I'm just an over-emotional faggot but this is very upsetting.

Just use travel rules in Adventures in Middle-Earth

anyone holding a dark fantasy game i can join? preferably where a half orc can have mutually in love parents?

Its specifically mentioned in the phb for half-elves. I just don't know how you'd go about incorporating it.

Please remove ranger spell list. PLEASE!

Seriously, we need less spellcasters. The core book has like three straight martials out of like 11 classes. It's ridiculous, why even have martials at all at that point?

Fat half-elf tits right in my face.

caught half dressed

Mutual love doesn't sound very dark fantasy user.

>why even have martials at all at that point?
Good question, why are there martial classes in a game with powerful high-magic shenanigans?

Flat elf tits right in my face.

Nah, I want a way to cast nature magic without having to be a fullcaster thanks. It just annoys me that so many of their spells are restricted to specific weapons and stuff.

They get a bunch of spells that can only be cast on animals, so if you're not playing Beastmaster you can ignore all those spells the vast majority of the time. Same with all the spells that require ranged weapons such as Flame Arrows and Swift Quiver. Want to use all those martial weapon proficiencies to create a Strength Ranger? Say goodbye to a bunch of your combat spells!

Then there's also a bunch of their spells just being bad. Take Snare for example. In the first round that an enemy steps on your Snare, they have 3 opportunities to save against it! In one turn!

okay, what about a teen mother who tolerated the orc chief that married her when she was six enough to let him put a babby in her when she got old enough to make a babby.

How many people wear heavy armor in your party?

Only one and he's the wizard

>Bard wears light armor
>Rogue wears light armor
>20 AC Barbarian wears no armor
No one.

>Anti-Large
>This weapon property denotes a weapon that is particularly effective against monstrous foes. A weapon with this property gets a +2 damage bonus against enemies size category Large or greater.

>Anti-Large is primarily found on polearms

Hot, or not?

So I'm just getting into DnD and I'm currently DMing a game with just my coworker on weekends when its slow at the store we work at. I've DMed through LMoP, but with my coworker because its just him and because we don't really set up a table to play or sit down with it for that long, I've just been bullshitting a campaign. He's playing as a Dragonborn cleric, and I've just made up a backstory that he had run away from a previous war he was fighting in against 2 major houses over some kind of economic dispute because his God came down to him and said there was a greater war coming that he needed to prepare for, so he ended up in some city. Again, this is all just random stuff i'm making up on the fly, I don't have any idea what the lore is like in this game really. So he's been noticing these sketchy mages kidnapping people, and also seeing them go up a nearby mountain, but he's since been arrested for going AWOL, and now is fighting in a gladiator pit. Basically, I'm wondering if there's anywhere i can find more lore and background to fill out an actual campaign for him because I know fuckall about this game. It's been a lot of fun though, and he and I are both new so making some changes to things aren't a big deal, but where can I find major house/faction names, or city names and stuff like that?

3/6
>Paladin
>Fighter
>Fighter #2
Next three are a Bard, Cleric, and a Wizard

But what you don't understand is that I'm a freak of nature, so your chance of winning goes down drastically!

One of these days...

0/4
>Bard: Light
>Sorcerer: None
>Monk: None
>Ranger: Medium

Not sure if there's an actual ruling on that, but logically it'd be the bludgeoning. Knowing how to swing a hammer well wouldn't make the fire hurt more.

How many levels does my wizard need to spend as a cleric to not seem like a munchkin scumbag?

Starting a new campaign at level 2 soon and interested in playing a Druid. Has anyone has experience with the Shepard Druid out of Xanathar's? Is it any fun or should I just stick with moon?

How do you make a 'Plus size' version of a monster?
I'm thinking
>1.5*HD
>Max possible HP
>+2 all relevant ability scores
>+1 prof bonus
>Bonus attack if relevant
as a baseline

I'm personally a fan of paragon monsters. It's a bit more work than that, but you can do much more interesting things. Otherwise, I would just up their HD, which then ups their HP as well. Give them boost to a relevant stat modifier, and maybe a resistance or special effect.

Playing Curse of Strahd, found Kavan's Blood Spear. DM has me fight a phantom warrior. After a night full of shit rolls I crit on a divine smite, killing it in one round.
Feels good, man.

I'm making a Guard Displacer for my party and the way I've made it this thing looks like CR 8, which is correct for these guys (6 level 9 chars because I'm a masochist). Maybe some sort of power most Displacers don't have, like a distance-closing ability to prevent people from escaping?

>I crit on a divine smite
Do you not just smite on every crit?
You should.

Anyone know of any good examples of an item or magic enhancement that feeds on a stat to either refill itself or give a temporary bonus?

Don't be afraid to fluff up some weak legendary or lair actions.

If only there was a divine semi-caster class focused around strength-based melee combat. If only that class had a sub-class themed around a guardian of nature, not unlike the Ranger.

It feels more fair when I say "I hit with a divine smite" before rolling. It wouldn't sit right with me if I decide to do it after the fact, unless other people are clearly struggling with the fight.
Just feels more honorable, or paladin-y when I do it that way.

Artificers can increase the number of magic items they can attune to. Are there any broken combinations that could result from this?

LMoP takes place in Forgotten Realms, theres an entire wikia for that setting, as well as a few books. Sword Coast Adventure Guide is the only book I know of with more detailed info about it for 5e, but i imagine all the lore from previous editions carries over.

I don't follow. Doesn't the wording say:

>when you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one paladin spell slot to deal radiant damage to the target, in addition to the weapon's damage

So yes, you always get to choose after the hit whether to do it or not. But it seems independent of critical hits. Doesn't it?

My LGS only has one table for this, I think. I've never even looked into it though, do you typically have to call ahead to reserve those or something?