Why doesn't Veeky Forums want guns in their medieval fantasy?

Why doesn't Veeky Forums want guns in their medieval fantasy?

because they are difficult to stat without getting either too useless or too powerful

just make them not-so useful 1 on 1 since its one and done
but extremely powerful on a wide scale, where you have large drilled formations to maximize volley fire

Because they're a sign of industrialization and pragmatism taking over a romanticized setting. It's a step forward that makes most players uncomfortable because it reminds them of how they also need to stop being manchildren and grow up.

Also, they are annoying to stat.

but guns and industrialization were separated by roughly 500 years

In me Medieval fantasy, no, but in my Renaissance fantasy - hell yes.

Also if my medieval fantasy is set in the far east I will expect guns.

Why do people like you insist on making this tired thread every day. Why are you never happy with the dozens of reasonable answers given in every single thread?

Why do you also always ignore the fact that fantasy RPG settings are allowed to be based on aesthetics and how people feel about things rather than exactly following real life developments?

Judging by the prevalence of these threads, clearly quite a lot of us do.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

>y-yeah but muh feelings

I am pretty sure its just trolling at this point given how often we have this exact discussion.

So make them useless within the context of the game and useful in a context that a small party of dungeon crawling adventurers will never encounter?

>hurr durr guns are industrialization and neckbears grown up lol

>no no no muh romanticismmmmmmmm

So many fuckin Exceptional Individuals on Veeky Forums

good thread

Why would someone use guns when you have magic?

user, Renaissance was in the Middle Ages

Because not every setting is for simpletons who like mundane high magic

Because the Middle-ages span about 800 - 1000 years, user. If you're doing a late medieval setting then yeah, guns might be of relevance, but any earlier than that and it's not relevant at all.

What's up with all these shitty posts?

For some reason we have people on this board who find it literally offensive that other people prefer a more romanticised version of the middle ages in their fantasy games.

To the point they will pretend only uneducated people and anti-gun idiots want knights and castles without having handgonnes.

Why would someone use bows when you have magic?

why would someone use swords when you have magic?

Because you won't shut the fuck up about it.

Renaissance came after the Medieval period, you dolt.

The Renaissance is a Victorian meme along with the Dark Ages

Most tg is Americans
Americans think renaissance fairs are historically accurate

because how the fuck do you make a gun in medieval a sensible thing ?
>inb4 its thanks to magic
then its just magic, not a gun

But we also love guns.

So better thread topic: How do you deal with school shootings in your fantasy setting?

Here we goooooooo!

Because guns were actually a part of medieval history. Gee user it's almost like you entered the thread not knowing what you're talking about

>American education

>tweens-to-twentysomethings with low average IQs who are super into /tg finally read an actual history book and have their minds blown, go on to pretend that "they've always known" on the internet
>for some reason

Guns are cheaper tools for sieges. I create situation where artillery guns are used to destroy fortifications and buildings. At the same time firearms aren't very useful against high priority human targets because of defensive magic protecting them. Enchanted firearms are very expensive, rare and generally used against monsters.

Well, that's true

OBSESSED

If they are present they're rare and useful but hard to come by, hard to make and still can get fucked by magic.
Now, my science fantasy setting however.

>this is the cry of the romanticfag realizes he is cornered

The projectiles are single use only which, since they're the part that needs to have any damage enhancing spells on them, makes them less worthwhile for creating magical versions than bows/crossbows with their (generally) reusable ammunition.

if it weren't for the vaccines you'd probably know that he means guns are a symbolic end of the end of the romantic days of chivalry and shining armor

the way that trains always signal the end of the west in western movies

I want guns in my medieval fantasy.

I do like guns in my fantasy settings, but not always. For example, in one of my old campaigns from ~2009 or so, one of the places in it was a republic that sprang up from exiles, thugs, bandits, heretics, and so on and so forth and wound up industrializing out of necessity due to being located in a wasteland. Gunpowder was discovered, and afterwards early steam engines, but generally everything was primitive, and because their home was inhospitable and they were unable to establish trade due to a hostile, massive empire to their north that had a strong xenophobic streak.

Even then though, you're handwaving that they don't progress past a certain point, and that their technology doesn't spread to the rest of the world, so it requires some suspension of disbelief why other places don't see the wonders they create and adopt or adapt them.

bows and crossbows having reusable ammunition is a meme

But it simply isn't true, knights continued to co-exist with firearms. It's not my fault that you cling to these misconceptions. And let's say for the sake of argument that it does, what's the problem here? It's not like knights will disappear overnight

Because PCs want guns that are much faster to use than IRL early firearms, because they think they beat out archery by being universally superior instead of cheaper and easier to train on.

What is this Meaty-Evil you speak of, and can I smite it?

Seriously though, guns in fantasy is as much an anachronism as anything else. Human civilization shows up 6000 years ago, we have had guns for 1/6 of that.

Put another way, polynesians and vikings got to the new world fairly regularly before guns, why doesn't your setting have world wide commerce?

They're lame.

It does or is beginning to.

Your mistake is assuming that people who dislike guns in their fantasy are unaware if what happened in real life history. Hence why he said symbolic.

Neither of which coexisted with magic, so they are already anachronistic.

Also knights predate guns by a good four hundred years (more if we accept Byzantine and Sassinid knights).

>he has magic in his fantasy setting

How many times are you going to make this thread?

Just don't have schools, then there's nothing for people to shoot up. Not like schools fit the romanticism of the medieval era anyway, they go against the common belief that everyone was retarded back then.

We have this thread evey day, and the answer is always the same.

It's historical inaccurate but the no gun romantic setting can be fun too.
Guns aren't reliant on volly fiering, most early guns were used to skirmish.
Guns should be compared to bows
>Slower to reload
>More accurate
>Short range
>Either go on touch Ac or give a dr bypass to represent it's armor piercing
Making guns better on heavily armored and mounted targets and bows better on lightly armored ones.

Thank you good night, now everyone fuck off, a thread died for this bullshit general

>my loli futa monstergirl thread died for this!

Having detachable arrowheads that can be removed and put on a replacement shaft/quarrel isn't...

you could just as easily put a resistance spell on your shot and recover it.

>He has setting in his nagic fantasy.

>he has a setting

At least that's more original than this shit

Until everyone on this forsaken board admits that their fantasy setting should have guns.

My fantasy setting hasn't discovered explosives yet.
And if excluding crossbows fully knowing that they existed during the period because including them would wrongly skew the unedicated's view of the setting was good enough for Tolkien, it's good enough for everyone.

Because Veeky Forums is full of spergs who cannot into good systems, or cannot accept gunpowder in their precious romanticism.

>Not putting guns in your romantic fantasy setting
baka desu

Yeah but guns predate plate.

But knights predate plate as well

In most settings magic is not an "I win button" and using systems where it is like Dnd and Pathfinder it sucks the fun out of everything for most people.

I'm sorry what was your point with then?

Two different people you are quoting there. He was disagreeing with my point by arguing that knights did not have plate before guns existed.

I'd rather use the best in sword technology than the worst in gun technology.

Because I don't like them.

Stop making these threads. This is the 3rd one I've seen in the past week.

Now I want a setting where everyone is magical caveman or magical nomads

But full shinning plate armor came AFTER guns

Why don't you like them user?

>Why doesn't Veeky Forums want guns in their medieval fantasy?

Why doesn't Veeky Forums want dragons in their historical fantasy?

But i do like guns in my medieval fantasy.

lolwut most fa/tg/uys love muhgrimdarkedgyeveryoneateshirtandworepotatosacks fantasy. Pretty much no one here likes the "romantic" version of the middle ages.

>symbolic

Its like people do not know what words mean.

Because primitive guns are fucking ugly and stupid.

Already said but too tough to balance. I already have a physics lawyer who min maxed to be able to carry some four tons and wants to throw giant objects or hit with them for massive damage. I give more than the d4 the book says but still hear how it's not enough based on the weight of the object and thier massive carry capacity. I loathe to think of the gun nut who knows all the different shotgun mixes and massive armor piercing rounds mixing those up "alchemically"

Somebody should really port bombardes, treetrunk cannons and the other huge-ass shit into WHFB. I can totally see dwarves lug around an "ancestor cannon" with a barrel wide anough to fit a fully armed ironbreaker into.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGH

I question the validity of using ironbreakers as ammo.

In my Renaissance Mystara setting, cannon are starting to become a thing.

The main advantage is that they are smaller and easier to set up than trebuchets (although they are heavier).

The main disadvantage is that they are finicky around magic and wet weather.

So they're situational.

because one thing leads to another and before you know it's not a medieval fanstasy setting anymore.

Guns require high magic to balance them out and then it escalates from there where either magic or guns become useless.

>I am a total incompetent