What system would you run for a realistic campaign set in the real world? A system that simulates combat accurately...

What system would you run for a realistic campaign set in the real world? A system that simulates combat accurately, both in terms of the multitudes of way to attack an enemy, to treatises on different european martial arts, in terms of how lethal a single cut penetrating your protection could be, bleeding, and also damage types and armor types.

Most systems I find use a very static fantasy style framework of: a piece of armor has a protection value, weapons have damage values, you deal damage equal to the amount your damage roll exceeds the protection value by, which makes sense in a fantasy setting with swords cutting through plate and such, but doesn't work at all in a historical setting.

Riddle of Steel/Song of Swords

Are you really prepared to endure the clunk that comes with trying to simulate combat accurately.

Maybe you could work out a set of rules and dice rolls to accurately present how a Zwerchau has advantage to break an opponent's Vom Tag. But I wouldn't expect it to be fun...

Mythras has that static protection value vs damage value-thing, but it still has you covered,

>in terms of how lethal a single cut penetrating your protection could be

A reasonably accurate quantitative model for the effect of injuries is something science hans't been able to produce so far, and you're hoping for an RPG to not only have one, but have one that's quick and simple enough to use while playing? Hell, just simulating how a weapon will interact with a piece of metal plate calls for a full computer simulation based on a bunch of experimentally measured properties, and that's two solid, homogeneous chunks beings smashed into each other, with no preposterously complicated living body involved.

Song of Swords seems decent enough, I'm going to give it a read

It doesn't have to be indepth to that level, I'm talking more about combat maneuvers and good freedom to aim strikes

More in terms of how a cut penetrating your protection well enough will probably end up having to be treated, hamper you in fights until it heals, run the risk of infection if you ignore it and so on. Most systems run a static HP system where you just heal up while resting.

If you want that "roll for gangrene!", HarnMaster might be worth a look too.

You're asking the wrong board, Veeky Forums only wants "epic" settings because they're "fun" and by fun they mean they don't want to have to think of the ramification of the various incoherent themes that they put into their games

>What system would you run for a realistic campaign set in the real world?
I had to stop for a moment once noticed this line on Page 1 just to admire the absolute boredom of such premise.

Why do you think historical settings are necessarily boring?

>there are people in 2018 who still don't use the catalog

RoleMaster

The level of crunch it tastes to simulate realistic combat to even a modest degree really bogs down the game and makes systems a chore to learn. It's just not what I play RPGs for

Literally Mythras. A successful attack damages and gains a special effect, and a parry can win a defensive effect.

That means it’s low damage minus armor, but you can also bleed/impale/trip/grapple/etc in the same action and the special effect is driven by weapon choice. On top of special effects, you have combat styles where each style is tracked as a different skill with different weapon proficiencies.

Very little fun things to do unless you jump staright into alternative history. Opportunities for adventure rely on breaking history and writing your own or going with the ones our world provided which leaves very little wiggle room. On top of people don't know history very well and trying to stail within real history of real world will to disputes and arguments bogging the game down. On other hand it can be a plus if you want to play something ahistorical under historical premise (some exciting events which people know very little of). It's fun but not historical at all.

>The level of crunch it tastes to simulate realistic combat to even a modest degree really bogs down the game and makes systems a chore to learn.
Do you mean Phoenix Command or something?

I'd imagine most historical campaigns would end up being some sort of alt-history. The charm and idea is a campaign based in the real world, I'd also love to run a fully historical campaign where the group are soldiers in some war, but that'd require a very special group to run it with.

I don't know about you but I've gotten pretty bored of generic fantasy settings, at this point realistic campaign in real life is a breath of fresh air.

Mythras for low autism, Riddle of Steel or HarnMaster for high autism
Use GURPS to set the autism slider wherever you'd like

I tried song of swords and couldn't even get past character creation. Maybe I'm low IQ

That's not even remotely true you baselessly smug faggot.
And neither is this. It doesn't take much to figure out a good historical setting for an RPG, Christ. And you can easily have fun playing low-power characters (i.e. not the kind of character who'd be likely to alter the course of history in any significant, world-wide sense).

Its character creation isn't particularly complicated, as RPGs go. D&D is more complex desu.

>And neither is this
According to you

What do you think the point of a discussion board is? What, do we just race to get our opinions out first 'cause then the next bugger who comes along can't disagree with it because it's just an opinion?

Great, so you must appreciate and respect my comment as well.

I don't have to respect shit, old man! The world doesn't deserve it...

Damn you, user, and your rebelious ways! Never respecting the rules, never doing things by the book. I've been shitposter for 25 years and we will do things my way.

Runequest.