>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/21Whc22e

>Previously, on /5eg/
The recent UA is pretty much agreed upon to be a restating of the blatantly obvious, but are there any unique travelling mechanics within your group that you/your players find particularly enjoyable?

SPELLJAMMERS! We travel through the Astral Sea in SPELL-motherfucking-JAMMERS!

What's in that chest, /5eg/?

A religious offering of foods and simple goods to the spirits of the mountain to keep the rocks where they should be.

Taking them might grant you needed supplies, but who knows who you will anger with this theft?

Boots and Slipping and Spraining.

That trove needs an update with the UA.
I mean there's no rush to fill it with TWO pieces of shit but I thought I'd mention it for archival sake

Three Subclasses UA was good, though.

was it, though?

Yes, it was.

The trove needs lots of things.

Like to not have stuff sorted by campaign setting for older editions. Or having the third party sources all in one folder, only to have to sort through which edition you want to be looking through AGAIN.

Nothing, really, that chest was looted at least twenty years ago, but goddamn it, you can bet your ass that at least one PC will die trying to reach it.

>looks at invention wizard
are you sure?

This is D&D, son. WotC can't proper sort their books, we must follow and not sort anything, ever.

They said good, not great.

And as meatloaf said, two out of three ain't bad.

let's call it 50/50, spore druid is thematically interesting but it's powers don't work on half the damn monster manual

>looks at spore druid
>also looks at brute
Yeah, pretty sure. The only reason Invention Wizard is bad is because it's yet another arcane tradition that steps on the toes of Sorcerer.
Looked at in a vacuum it's a decent class.

Large Soul of a Brave Warrior

>two out of three
Brute may have been mechanically decent in a fight, but it's poorly designed and sets a dangerous precedent of "hey let's just make a bunch of bloat subclasses instead of revising the ones that suck like Champion."

The sorcerer was a bad idea.

isn't the 1d20 system way too fucking random?

Sorcerer was a good idea, making wizard better in nearly every way and then giving it sorcerer powers to make up for the areas sorcerer did slightly better was a bad idea

>Looked at in a vacuum it's a decent class.
Being forced to wear armor worse than Mage Armor and a Wild Magic option that's just objectively worse than casting a regular spell is "decent?"

>someone at the LCS tells me to check out Gates of Firestorm Peak
>alright, let's find this thing
>knew it was 2nd Edition
>look in the 2e folder
>see more folders for each campaign setting
>uhhhh ...
>to google!
>takes several minutes to find out it's NOT Forgotten Realms
>click at random until I stumble upon it in the Far Realms folder

I wouldn't mind if at least the trove was searchable.

no.

I'll never not be mad about Careful Spell vs. Sculpt Spell.

Not it wasn't, the notion of sorcerer is dumb, and the class is basically a Wizard archetype, but now, he's not even good at that.
If the class died off in the next edition very few people would notice, and the ones that notice could get a shitty UA that they would never use.

You know you can search the trove?

Also look under classic modules redone, it's got a 5e conversion for stats.

No

Arcane magic classes are fucked up anyway.

Just make a Mage class, with Wizard, Warlock, and Sorcerer as archetypes.

getting rid of wizard automatically makes all the other casters more playable.

Are chromatic dragons enemies, in general, of other chromatics of different colors?

I would argue they are if they are after the same treasure or the same goal.

What does War Wizard has over Abjuration?
Just using Shield and Counterspell seems better than using Arcane Deflection, since it's more likely to suceed and doesn't hamper spell usage.

shit, chromatics of the SAME color have trouble getting along.

This. It’s basically backwards.

That’s why even Perkins house ruled it on stream, and why Sorcers get bonus thematic spells in addition to metamagic house rules and a pseudo-wish class feature (cast any spell, perform bullshit like a cleric asking their dirty). Rounds the class out a ton and makes it do rituals aren’t so painfully missing.

mimic guts

>Wizards even get spells back on short rest so they can step on the toes of the warlocks.
I guess being named WIZARDS of the coast gives them a level of bias.

Yeah, but that cannot happen, the wizard is a staple of the game, since the beginning. The sorcerer is a 2nd edition gimmick, that survived to 3rd edition (nobody knows exactly why), and the Warlock was a 3.5 gimmick, that survived to the 4th, but at least the class plays different from the Wizard (different mechanics, different mood, different spells)

Makes sense. I assume though they somewhat tolerate or ignore each other if they are far away enough so that their territories don't overlap.

it's less about it actually ever happening and more showing that WIZARD, as it currently is, is the problem.

Would houseruling in the caster level mechanic from PF/3e be a good idea? It would help nerf Warlock dips.

You are a garbage person.

How does it even nerf warlock dips?

Just don't allow multiclassing.

How to Hobgoblin?

Explain.

One reason why Warlock dips are so good is that cantrips work off character level, not caster level, as the latter doesn't even exist in 5e.

The only time a wizard got balanced enough was during the 4th edition era, and goddamn it, many will argue it was the worst edition ever.
There is no easy way to gimp the wizard, and thanks to the way magic in D&D is handled (fucking broken, that's how), it might never happen, ever again.

how build him ??@?

The treasure is adventure all along.

Ah yes, brilliant search function. I'm *bound* to find it if it just lists every pdf in the trove...

As to the classic modules, I'm planning on using that, but I still need the original adventure to base off of.

Industrial Era Japan.

The only way to really balance a wizard without falling back into 4e-esque standardization is:

>add a shitload of caveats into being a wizard, ie less spells per day, magic can backfire, comically low defenses. basically OSR spellcasting

or

>have wizards specialize in only a couple schools, kinda like what spheres of power for pathfinder does

Both are very likely to cause lots of backlash.

Ah sorry, searching only searches the folder you're in.

If you search for firestorm n the top folder, it's still the 20th down the list I admit, but it still helps.

Does it seem strange to have Warforged be flavored as androids?

Anyone do this in their worlds?

Hexblade

Any cool uses for the command spell other than things like flee, and grovel?

>Explain
Caster level was the worst mechanic ever introduced to D&D. It doesn’t even come close in that competition.

Open, Accept (after proposing a deal).

Warlock dips are powerful because the class interacts with sorceror really well, not because of eldritch blast.

Without caster levels, multiclassing becomes OP.

Defecate is usually fun at parties.
I've had success with Listen as well when there was a heated argument that almost came to blows between two NPCs.

Suck

>One reason why Warlock dips are so good is that cantrips work off character level
you realize any class can grab eldritch blast with a feat, right?

Without Agonizing Blast it's just any other cantrip except it can be spread out between targets.

My world has neither, so no.

Given the warforged mechanics, I'd probably add more to it. I don't know quite what, but they're basically "half-okay fighters who are 5% less likely to be hit on the off-chance they're not in the armor they're likely to always be in" with a lack of a need for mechanics that are easy to maintain for non-robots.

I've gotten away with 'mute' to shut up spellcasters before.

No. Just don't allow a dip that doesn't make reasonable fluff sense and accept that a few more cantrips isn't exactly part-unabalancing levels of horrible.

pls respond

"Sign."
There are a great many contracts one can enforce in the King's realm.

Can't use counterspell at 2nd level, affects saving throws which shield doesn't, might need to prepare something else and want a backup for when you don't have shield, might wanna conserve your spell slots and not burn shield for a bonus.

Oh, and if you somehow manage to have multiple reactions (I forget if you can do that), using shield on one attack and then arcane D on the other.

Would multiclassing from a fighter into a druid be an ok idea?

Probably not.

I'd personally try and bring back the magen from earlier editions though. Specifically demos and hypnos for combat/diplomatic androids.

>open, opens mouth
Doesn't work
>accept, accepts the existential dream of being under a mind control spell
nope
>Listen, listens to the sound of the wind blowing around
>mute
Doesn't work unless you're translating from a language where there is a verb form of mute
sign, starts doing sign language

Having That DM has made me hate spells open to interpretation

Play with a better DM, shit. I bet you've never known the joys of illusion magic, either.

There is no way officially to have multiple reactions. You could homebrew something like this to make it happen though.

"Surrender." I was DM, tried it on a PC. The idea is he would drop his weapon and approach the caster with hands on head.

The save was stupid low though so it failed. Dang.

>mute doesn't work

'Whistle', then.

What benefit are you hoping to derive from it? If this isn't a roleplaying thing, you probably would have just been better off going revised ranger.

Well having spells would be nice and shapeshifting opens up a lot of opportunities. Already have a fighter guy so starting as a ranger isnt really an option.

I've seen people go BM3/Moon Druid X to have maneuvers in wildshape, which can lead to interesting roleplaying opportunities. Definitely gets weaker the higher you get in levels, because druids have some pretty good high level features.

How about "Silence"?

Druid and Cleric are pretty good for low-level utility spells since they can swap around their spell list and have ritual caster, so that's not a bad idea. You'll find shapeshifting very limited with a 1-2 level dip though unless you take circle of the land, and that will drop off pretty fast.

Moon druids make bad multiclass options outside of one shots, you want the levels in druid asap to increase your CR rating of your beasts (1/3rd of your druid level, 10 lvl for CR5 elementals), the only real options worth considering is 1 level in either Barb or Monk for Rage or the monks unarmored defense.

Action Surge is always great on everyone and you can get alot of bang for your buck from some of the Multiattacks your forms have but your CR forms are going to be lacking compared to a straight moon druid

A fire trap that also incinerates the contents. Our rogue is bad at his job.

*circle of the moon
what the fuck am I saying

>doesn't work unless you're translating from a language where there is a verb form of mute

Like English, where mute is both a verb and an adjective?

This is a map I'm working on for running my first DnD game. It's very basic at this stage and I'd like it to be better. Any feedback is appreciated!

What sort of viability is there for using your beast forms as ablative armor?

I have literally never heard anyone say mute as a way to tell someone to stop talking/be quiet.
Mute is a verb as an action you do to something else.

vaguely sexual

A sentient weapon that was placed under a cliff in a chest by its last wielder who hated it with a burning passion. So they placed it under a cliff so no one will ever find it.

The intent of the spell is that the target follows the most obvious application of the word, not some interpretive bullshit that ultimately defies it. Otherwise it would be completely useless.

Unless you're a circle of the moon, you need to spend your full action to wildshape.
If you're a moon druid it's workable, but you get two uses and it doesn't scale unless you're making major investments in druid.

well you'll need moon druid to start so thats a 2 level dip so you can shift as a bonus action, then you have access to CR 1 forms

the best AC your gonna get is 14 with either the Dire Wolf or the Giant Hyena. the Hyena also boasts 45 hit points, the best is the Giant Octopus with 52(which can hold it's breath for 1hr so if your DM is ok with it you can use it on land and it's quite a strong CR1 beast to use)

you get 2 of these per short rest

Glad I'm not the only one who saw it

fked up a bit, the Dire Wolf & Giant Spider boast the best AC at 14 the Hyena is at 12

What's a good way to introduce the big bad that lords over the current big bad? Like if it turns out he worships a demon lord who intends to invade the material plane. I'd like it to be something more substantial than "He has some demon paraphernalia"

Tooling off of this, how broken would two word Command be?

FUCK