Does Veeky Forums like arquebusiers?

Does Veeky Forums like arquebusiers?

Not especially, but one of my players did enjoy playing one in a recent game I ran

Yeah. I'd love it as a class. Slow infrequent damage, but it's a huge amount so it has to count and be prepared for.

Veeky Forums as a whole doesn't like anything.

Not really. You spend hours going through an incredibly boring game that you've already won by that point and build up your cities purely to train those guys... only to realize that they're entirely broken. And I don't mean broken in that they utterly destroy the competition, I mean broken in the sense that they don't fucking work. Neither do pikes for you pike and shot fans out there.

Honestly, if you're colonizing the Aztecs you're better off just using your traditional medieval army: footknights, knights and pavisse crossbowmen. Gunpowder units are a waste of space due to a shit engine. I guess that's the opposite of Empire, where melee sucks.

>shoot once
>reload for 30-60s
>hey guys I’m ready for my next shot
>the fight is already over dipshit
Sure is fun.

I prefer carrying wheellock or flintlock pistols while relying mostly on swords/bows/magic. You can draw the pistol as an ”oh shit” button for massive damage or to pierce armor, but you’re not gonna do it several times per fight (unless you carry multiple pistols). And it’s expensive.

You’re not clever

Would you take a squad of arquebusiers to hunt a dragon? Guns might be magically enhanced.

Bringing a beltful of gunpowder satchets to a fight with something that breathes fire? Great.

Of course. Obviously you have to account for the fact that you are using sulphur and smoke to kill a thing which is, basically, personified sulphur and smoke, but if fighting fire with fire doesn't work just pour more fire on.

Gunpowder was the real magic all along.

/thread

>spams 20 guns in fantasy threads in a week
>calls others not clever

What makes a good soldier, Veeky Forums?

This guy Knows what's up.
Fantasy guns can be a great emergency move out combat starter where you take out a weaker opponent in one move out considerably weaken a strong on.

Ability and discipline required to follow orders.

Shooting four times a minute.

>not buying a fuck ton of guns and employing hirelings to reload them for you in combat

The ability to fire three rounds a minute in any weather, sir.

Yes, yes, but we are my fucking pikes!

>muh swords.
>muh axes.
>no honest and straightforward pikes.

That's not an arquebus silly. That's a heavy musket. Basically a heave 20 pound gun with heavy recoil that required a rest and a strong person to operate.

Crossbows aren't better, user. Bows are the only ones which are, and they take considerably more skill. Not for the average character, in most conventional settings (ofc players are not necessarily "average characters").
Not him but the terms basically overlap.

I think it'd make for some nice tactical setup.
>Nothing can pierce a dragon, except for magic or overwhelming force
>Bring a detachment of gunners(perhaps a primitive cannon too, maybe even the war wagon setup, Bohemia-style)
>Have to setup in a way that guarantees that the cannon can deal enough damage, but is itself not vulnerable to the attack