You ever make factions for fun? Like sci-fi factions?

You ever make factions for fun? Like sci-fi factions?
Been playing a lot of Stellaris lately but i've caught myself being more interested in partial roleplaying and making new and interesting factions than actually playing.

Tell me about yo' sci-fi shenanigans and how you'd go about making interesting variants of whatevs, who do you LOVE encountering? What really gets your space opera rocks off?

youtu.be/sD63fekvUdk

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1m-RHzdWkfXWoGUFmOer_tSV7cy1ur1TTsu65Rm6doRY/edit?usp=sharing
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

HOOOOOOOOOO SHIIIIIIIT I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE.

First time I played stellaris I spent 3 hours meticulously crafting a civilization and I still do it basically every game

I CAN'T STOP, SEND HELP, I'VE GOT LIKE 40 CUSTOM FACTIONS AND 30% OF THOSE ARE REAL-WORLD FACTIONS SPACE-IFIED, and a self insert one, ofcourse.

My last Stellaris run was a machine race with cyborg subspecies, I roleplayed them similar to the two species from the time machine, an advanced species created a paradise world for themselves and a robot race to run it for them. Over time they devolved and the robot race took over.

They brought on an ice age for better heat dissipation. They want to assimilate everyone

I did a similar thing, got a symbiotic relationship between my main tiny guy race and their oaf-witted friends who basically do lots of military and agricultural work and stuff cus they're huge and molluscy, got any interesting lore to share?

I've got a science fiction setting that I'll probably never actually get to run or do anything productive in (actually, I've started writing a short story set in the universe, but that's it), which pretty much exists because I wanted to make up some factions for a theoretical strategy game. I like coming up with game ideas even if I don't actually have the means to make those ideas into reality.
When Stellaris came out it was great because I could actually make all the faction in the game and (unlike pretty much every other 4X, where you can make a custom faction but usually not let the computer use it) play a game with all of the factions fighting for the galaxy (normally I just play with a custom faction and randomly generated NPC empires, though).

>asexual reproducers
>extremely individualistic and isolationist
>wear space burkas
>any amount of skin is scandalous
>exposing your face to someone would be like goatse

>Space Burkas

Thats my fetish

Nothin at all wrong with that man, you got some you prefer seeing over others?

One of the ancient civilizations in my setting I've run in Stellaris once, or tried too. Freedom and science obsessed transhuman space anarchists.

Had a lot of the extra policy mods and pushed them to absurd levels of oppeness and decentralization. They wound up with an ethics divergence of 'yes' but well over a hundred percent science bonus, so research and social policies cancelled out all the maluses from that.

This was pre-utopia so I never did get them uploaded like they're supposed to be, but it was a pretty good run.

All the time. I do it as a mental exercise but I normally develop fantasy cultures opposed to sci-fi ones.

I meant to post a picture but for some reason got a connection error. It's one I did of the main aliens factions. Admittedly, none of them is super original. From left to right:

Militaristic Space-Roman reptile men. Playstyle-wise they're the tough, hard-htting faction with focus on pure military power and conquest.

Amphibian people that are also my take on both the standard "grey" aliens and chromatic space-babes of every space-opera. Physically weak and with limited ability to survive on worlds too different from their own (they require a humid tropical climate), but with good technology and focus on "soft" power over military force.

Hive-insectoids with a caste-based society: working caste works, administrative caste runs things, and the queen is the ruler and makes babies. Not very military-focused, but can drown enemies in hordes of mass-produced troops and equipment due to having fast population growth and focus on industry. Also sort of have a dynastic-era Chinese theme going on in the background for no real reason besides me finding that period of history intresting.

This is a race I first made in Stellaris, but which I then turned into a full blown faction

>docs.google.com/document/d/1m-RHzdWkfXWoGUFmOer_tSV7cy1ur1TTsu65Rm6doRY/edit?usp=sharing

Egalitarian xenophile giant space spiders.

How might one, if at all, do gnomes in a sci-fi setting?

Which Gnomes?

Superior 4e Gnomes trying to regain access to their home dimension?
Decent WoW Gnomes into technology to find a way to shrink the bigger races?

WoW perhaps? i like WoW gnomes

Well, what kind of government do WOW Gnomes have? Why are they in the Alliance? What is their starting city and area like? What is their clothing/armor like?

Basically a meritocracy kingdom based on what can be described as intelligence mixed with bravery, they're part of the alliance because their near neighbours, the dwarves, gave them asylum and protected them from the elements when they were overrun in their homeland by troggs aswell as basically a radiation leak. Starting area is desolately cold, and unfortunately hostile due to illness, their clothing is eccentric? noblebright as fuck are the gnomes of WoW.

Well there you go, you seem to have taken care of most of the work for yourself. Maybe try and attach them to a Fallen/Dormant Empire they view as a big brother that protected them, drop their ground combat abilities, and you’re good to go

damn you!

The last sci-fi setting we played had some fun races.

On one side Space NATO composed of
>Highly psychic humanoids with a race-wide thing for intrigue and paranoia
>Slave race that rebelled against abusive precursors ages ago and is now heavily in decline
>Hive-minded rat-things that may be a discarded experiment of said precursors gone out of control
>Pacifist sentient lichen colonies that own way more planets than anyone else by simple virtue of being able to live everywhere and with a unique kind of biological technology
>Giant intelligent waterbears that have only started to discover this "civilization and culture" thing because until very recently they were content with grazing asteroid fields
>Asshole militaristic lobsters only recently gone from all-out genocidal to just distrustful of others

On the other, Space Warsaw Pact composed of a massive theocratic empire of bugmen and their various "protectorates" including humans.
Plus some more neutral parties caught in the middle, like extremely advanced AIs left by a dead race trying to figure out their creator's last directives, or ultracapitalist avians that have a monopoly on the creation of spaceships and FTL drives.

Glad to be if service.

Only other thing I can think of is try to find a mod that let’s you change the sizes of other races randomly, imitating the Gnomish Shrink Ray

It’s the only thing I remember about them and it was because of the lulz it caused

Gnomes are a small, space-faring species known for their technological innovation and propensity for exploration. Their original homeworld (a small moon orbiting a gas giant) was destroyed when an errant solar flare stripped the world of atmosphere and made life on the surface impossible. Rather than adapt to the harsh realities of their new world, the gnomish people took to space in large colony ships intent on finding a new home. Gnomes have integrated into countless space-faring cultures due to their friendly and helpful nature though they have found no true home of their own, the bulk of their people still living in space.