/osrg/ - Old School Revival General

Welcome to /osrg/, the Old School Renaissance General! Here we discuss editions of Dungeons and Dragons from the TSR era, as well as retro-clones of those editions and other games and material compatible with them.

>Trove:
pastebin.com/raw/QWyBuJxd
>Tools & Resources:
pastebin.com/raw/KKeE3etp
>Old School Blogs:
pastebin.com/raw/ZwUBVq8L
>Previous thread:

TOPIC: Post 'em: necropraxis.com/2012/02/24/20-quick-questions-rules/

>op pic
I hope you get banned

Reposting from previous thread.

Alright, he're my second try, this time using the The Wilderness Architect rules in Fight On! It really feels too small to me, but maybe i'm thinking about it wrong and it's not mean't to be a totally comprehensive region of it's theme, like the whole of say a fantasy Africa. It's only a small region of that?

It's SFW and Raggi is definitely on topic.

Nice.

>Pays writers and artists better than big name RPG companies
>Actually pays royalties to the writers and artists
>Doesn't restrict their creative freedom

he is the hero OSR needs?

Before you finalize the map, you can start listing possible sites for hex stocking. I think you’ll find that while it looks small, it’s surprisingly hard to come up with 100 hex stockings.

And if there are connections and dynamics between those sites, that will be enough for a year’s gameplay.

Not sure what advice you were given, but I would double the size. Leave these chunk in the center and this is the only chunk you need to key at the start.

Just puts you less on the spot if your players walk off the map early.

He is pretty good... though his works are certainly not for everyone. I kind of hate how he goes the extra mile to be edgy, just to be edgy. Not that I'm a moralfag or anything, but there's shit in his stuff that simply feels plain awkard to play.

I’m 40 and started with AD&D 2nd Ed. I definitely prefer 2nd Ed and pre 2nd Ed. Games so I’m on the Young side of the OSR. When the venerable greybeards pass on to the next life what will become of the OSR?

I think I also like him more as a publisher than an adventure writer, but damn if he didn’t compile a good rulebook

Kind of trepidatious about the next edition’s rule changes though...

Lol I’m in my 20s binch

are there any news about that?

Don't worry user, I'm in my twenties, planning to hoard OSR stuff to teach my children in a couple decades.

Do I really need to pack things that densely? What about random encounter tables? World of the Lost, Fire in the Jungle, nor Carcosa have descriptions for every single hex, they have a great deal, but fill the rest with encounter tables.

My kids, both girls have minimal interest in rpgs despite my best efforts. Everything I have is yours when I croak.

I liked the first one better.

Don’t they have hexes with like ”5 t-rexes” and shit? I’m creating my first hexcrawl right now so it’s not like I’m an expert but that is some bullshit. That’s not a location, that’s an encounter, and it goes in the encounter table. If it’s a cave with a pit of bones or whatever the t-rexes are inhabiting, then at least it can be cleared out and restocked later.

But a location can be something really simple like an altar or peculiar tree or other landmark.

It's entirely unsurprising can afford to pay better than 3c/word considering the profit margins on his store combined with the ever unsettle shilling Raggidrones spam across the internet.

Pretty sure the butthurt gives better free advertising since its nonstop every time him or LOTFP gets mentioned.

My players found 8 zombies today in the first level of the dungeon (as a wandering monster encounter). 4/5 got knocked unconscious, one of those died, two lost an eye, and one had his hand become completely useless.
Fuck, it was such a simple combat, and I (we, I think) had so much fun. The zombies do 1d8 damage so there was a fair chance the last zombie could 1hko the last man standing. Everyone cheered when that last damage roll came up a 3...

That's because its the easiest way to troll Zak who is ultra-defensive about Raggi like a parasite defending its host.

>first level of the dungeon
>8 zombies
>1d8 damage
You gotta go back Gary, your supposed to be dead.

False OSR enthusiast, get ye gone.

How did those two lose an eye? What effect will that have on them? And the one that lost a hand?

God you're a faggot

Yeah, no. You're just a SJW.

Yeah, what are those?

I found amusing that the artless version of LotFP is the free one. If it was the other way around I would actually pay to have just the text.

But yeah, I prefer him as publisher of other people's work (Veins of the Earth was a good book) than as a author. His modules have a tendency of rewarding PCs having ideas with "lol ur ded"

Why did Gamma World never reach the success of DnD?

I'm thinking the same.

Same reason as every other RPG: Being first into a new market gets you a level of brand name recognition that's difficult to achieve for everyone who comes after.

Hey, vaguely related,, I'm reading Playing at the World, and I got hung up here. Can any of you dudes help me unpack this sentence?

>By this time, Napoleon had expired in exile on the island of Saint Helena, and Prussia basked in regional dominance, especially over those German states that had collaborated with Napoleon until after the point where their assistance might have abetted the insurgency.

I'm good up to "especially" then I'm just not sure what he's talking about. (Could be this head cold.)