>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/21Whc22e

>Previously, on /5eg/
What are your house rules? Do you use any homebrew content?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/15098517
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Reposting from last thread, all I got was a meme reply and I genuinely need help

One of my players is actively trying to kill another players character after he punished him (within very good reason) for acting like a suicidal idiot (dragons don't take kindly to mooning)

What should I do?

Skill checks don't crit

Have you tried talking to him?

Almost everyone in our party has some sort of custom/homebrew class archetype
>Oath of the Guardian Paladin
>Variant Ranger Commando
>Eldritch Knight that utilizes Warlock spells rather than wizard
>Loxodon Cleric
It helps make our characters feel like our own rather than cookie cutter

As far rules go, we have a few
>No multiclassing
>Long Rest does not fully restore HP
>Crit attacks just multiply the the sum of the damage dice and then add the bonus
>Cannot just roll persuasion, need to give a decent argument
>Dropping weapon is a free action, but drawing one in the same turn uses a bonus action

I use more specific weapon proficiencies. For classes that have proficiency in one category I give them proficiency with 2 weapons of their choice from that category instead. The martial/simple weapon distinction is too broad, especially since so many classes have martial weapon proficiencies and almost everyone has simple weapon proficiency. Also, players need to train with a mentor for 2 weeks to become proficient with a weapon in a class where they already have a weapon they are proficient with, if they don't then it's a month of training instead.

>Crit attacks just multiply the the sum of the damage dice and then add the bonus
>Dropping weapon is a free action, but drawing one in the same turn uses a bonus action

All of these are good

I'm truly conflicted with this one. I generally 100% agree with it and use it, but honestly it's generally kind of shit. We're playing a roleplaying game, what if the person playing is not good at arguing? You don't armwrestle the GM when you roll strength, you don't down a couple of shots when you roll CON and you don't do a cartwheel when you roll DEX

>No multiclassing
Why?

Ask him, before your next session when everyone is sitting down together, to explain the reasoning behind his characters actions and if he believes that this course of action will enrich the game.

If the group can somehow agree on a course of action, that's fine. If, far more likely, everyone tells him to get lost, tell him to get lost. Cut the cancer out before it affects other organs.

I thought this was RAW

How much does it restore?

We have one houserule - the magic attribute

It adds its modifier to saving throws against spells and is the relevant attribute for spellcasting.

Class feats are not affected and are still used as written.

In our first campaign we rolled one more attribute, in the second we went for point buy and added 3 to the standard.

>No multiclassing
Same. It's cool but I have yet to see a player that would do it because it makes sense for a character instead of trying to be a fucking munchkin.

>No multiclassing
Fun fact: that's actually RAW.
Like feats, multiclassing is an optional rule to be used at GM's discretion.

That is a fairly good point. Really wish he would have given me more detail, I can't reach him atm.

He says he's using some stuff from yawning portal, would that effect me playing a bard?
Assuming the Cleric is in fact the standard healbot, What's recommended for a buff/debuff/utility lore bard?
Never even considered playing a bard in a game before now, just wasn't a priority for me.

I constantly recommend (If I'm a player) or try to use minor homebrew stuff. Not like classes or anything, just house rules people smarter than me come up with.
Any combat manuver in DMG is fine in my games, point buy is at 30 instead of 27 IIRC if I'm running it, current game has a blood hunter as a fellow PC
I think I allowed extra attacks gained from other classes to stack, but never got to the point where it was a problem.
The main things I find or try to put in are specialized sheets (are those technically homebrew) or tailored to specific players, based on what they feel like playing so it's hard to say specifics.
I do like banning V.Human and giving everyone a free feat at lvl 1 in particular, though.

The persuasion rule has actually begun to be a point of contention between our DM and one of our players. He not that great at speaking so he has been at odds about the rule. Our DM has been pretty lenient on what passes as an argument, so it has been ok so far.

With no multiclassing it is mainly a preference thing of our DM to discourage minmaxing. None of our players have a problem with it either.

Depending on how good of a rest, if were ate a good amount of food, and how hurt we are its usually around 4 HD. My character (Paladin) and our cleric also have pretty good healing, so HP has never been a serious problem.

What does the ideal party of 5 look like in 5e?

I wouldn't recommend being too harsh with this. I would do positive reinforcement instead. Lots of people who play RPGs have a bit of a problem with social interaction and punishing them for it will make them less inclined to try. In my experience the most awkward people gravitate towards high charisma characters because they themselves feel lacking in that regard. Punishing them for that is just going to hurt them. Instead I encourage them to roleplay, If they just want to describe it, I still let them roll, if they however make an honest attempt, I give them either advantage on the roll or inspiration and if they make especially good attempt compared to their normal performance, I let them succeed without a roll. You'll train them to be great roleplayers in no time and they actually tend to improve IRL as well, which is something you should want for your friends.

Also consider that you don't usually require a decent description of an attack, if "I attack this goblin with my sword" is enough, then so should "I try to convince this guard to let us pass" should be enough as well. Again, encourage roleplay rather than punish for not roleplaying.

I'd say
>Cleric
>Paladin/Fighter
>Rogue
>Barb/Monk
>Wildcard (Bard or Warlock most common)

Fighter
Cleric
Wizard
Bard
Rogue

Both multiclassed characters in the campaign where I'm a player had perfectly valid story reasons for it (Fighter/Wizard and Fighter/Rogue), same with the Fighter/Beastmaster in the campaign I DM for. Agreed it's very easy to munchkin though.

You want Vicious Mockery, Dissonant Whispers for AoO, Faerie Fire, Invisibility, Heat Metal, Suggestion, Haste and Eldritch Blast/Hex/Fireball.

>What are your House Rules? Do you use any homebrew content?
Copy paste from last time!

>Rules/Feats
Potions can be used a bonus action and/or an action. (The mixing potions table might active if they chug them in the same turn depending on the school of magic)

I use Mercer's Fading Spirit resurrection rules.

Wilderness Survival Guide PDF is open for expanded crafting rules

I pushed up the bonus action spell casting rule to 2nd level instead of the cantrips being the cut-off point.

Crafting time is 1/2-1/8 the time in the DMG. The time will increase based on the tool check rolls and if you have created it before. Prices for crafting varies depending on the item and its rarity.

Tinkers/Crafters can create their own custom magical items they would need to speak with me first about the blueprints & concept, and I'll edit it if it's too strong or too weak, give it a price tag, and Crafting DC in secret depending on the difficulty.

Feat: Firearm Expert
•You can repair firearms as a bonus action.
•Being within 5 feet of a hostile creature doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls.
•When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a loaded firearm you are holding.

Feat: Dual Weilder
•Add Plus 1 to Dexterity or Strength up to a maximum of 20.

>Classes
UA Material allowed unless otherwise stated.
Multiclassing with UA may be allowed depending on the class, backstory, or narrative.
Magus (DMs Guild) Class is available
Arcane Conduit Sorcerer Origin is allowed
Pugilist (DMs Guild) Class is available
College of The Maestro Bard College (DMs Guild) is available
Gunslinger Fighter Arctype (DMs Guild) is available
Way of the Four Elements Revised is available
Mystic (With approval) (No Nomadic Mind)
Blood Hunter (DMs Guild) is available
Compendium of Sacred Mysteries (With Approval)
The Compendium of Forgotten Secrets (With Approval)
Revised Artificer is allowed

Can you post the Revised 4 Elements?

What's a perverse way of a character calling himself a Gunsmith?

Does anyone have art of a large wooden construct man? There is a 30 foot tall construct in the middle of a forest in my game and I need some art for that place as a rest point for my group.

Sure.

>EB
>Hex
Why would I pop magical secrets on either of those?

Thanks, though.

Just in case you want some offensive presence. Of course you wanna take both of them if you're getting it.

gunfucker

is variant human polearm master vengeance paladin the best paladin for burst damage?

How do I deal with weaboo players, Veeky Forums? I've spent a while building a second crusade era, low magic campaign. Every player is on board with it, except one who wants to multiclass a monk and play as a ninja. Besides killing his character, what do I do?

>Dissonant Whispers for AoO
This is extra awesome if it's an AoO from someone with Booming Blade and Warcaster, at level 5 if they fail the save you can force:
>2d8 Thunder dmg from moving after last turn's Booming Blade
>Weapon Damage+1d8 Thunder dmg from the BB attack
>2d8 Thunder dmg from moving after this turn's BB
(When I played a Bard in a party with a Bladelock I always forgot I could do this)

I can't think of another build that lets you Smite 4x per round (Hasted), so yes I think it is.

Wait, can you use Booming Blade as an AoO?

I wonder how many half-elves decide to go out adventuring just because home life gets weird once they start looking as old as their elf parent.

With warcaster you can

any advice for someone DMing for the first time?

"That doesn't fit my setting, sorry. You can play a monk staff-fighter if you want but it needs to be a bit more European flavored."
Easy peasy Japanesey, user.

I dunno, just say it seems the game isn't for him and that he'd probably be better suited for another game.

Also low magic is shit and if you want to do low magic you're better off playing a system where over 3/4 of the player options don't have magic.

You should explain to the guy that the character may not fit with the world. If way of the shadow does not fit then tell them to play something else like a Kensei with some flavor changes.

You should read Lazy Dungeon Master and watch some of the Youtube series Running the Game. At least that's how I started. I didn't create my first campaign though, it was Lost Mines of Phandelver.

Warcaster lets you cast a single-target spell as an AoO. Booming Blade and Hold Person are awesome for this.

Tried runequest for a while, but it's way easier to dm 5e when you have a 9-5 job.
Plus, adventures in middle earth is a very good 3rd party source book and I'm running using that as a guide.

Kensei could be a good middle ground. Ta, mate.

Low magic is genuinely shit though because almost everything is magical. Classes, monsters, ect.

DnD was made for heroic stuff, and since WOTC seem to hate the idea of anything meaningful being done without magic, every class that isn't just "hit thing" (everyone except Fighter, Rogue and Barbarian (and even they have magical subclasses)) has some elements of magic to them.

I'm either retarded or can't otherwise find something that lets me search through the text of spells, but does anyone know how many speed reduction spells there are in 5e?

I know there's Slow, Ray of Frost, and Investiture of Ice to start

So they're someone who kills people, dresses in black, hides their face, and has special powers?

It just means they need to come up for a reason for a hashashin to aid the other party members.

Posting this again for new thread:
strawpoll.me/15098517
strawpoll.me/15098517
strawpoll.me/15098517
strawpoll.me/15098517
strawpoll.me/15098517

>Does anyone have art of a large wooden construct man? There is a 30 foot tall construct in the middle of a forest in my game and I need some art for that place as a rest point for my group.

Bump for some art.

Homebrew classes senpai.
Redid the non magical ranger while watching the 6 nations, and went from there.

I'm also a big fan of Primeval Thule, although I reckon they didn't go far enough, and there are some aspects that are uttter wank (bringing modern morality and hur dur slavery is bad into a Primeval world, for example).

In the end, I'd love to rune a RuneQuest sword and sorcery Conan-esque campaign, but I haven't got the time. 5e I can whip up a session the day before, in a couple of hours. Anything percentile based requires way more time.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou shindeiru

Large Metal Penis Owner

I'd forgotten about the Hashasin, ta mate. I'll find a way to work with that!

my fighter multiclassed into wizard after his nephew/squire was killed by a vampire so he could try to learn the necromancy required for resurrection

I did this once. Idiot tried to swing on me so I smiled and turned the other cheek. It was a real shame when he fell unconscious in a fight and found himself at negative bloodied with a sneak attack dagger in his throat. No one ever did learn what happened to him.

Doesn't this just make casters more powerful in combat? Now they just invest in magic to get better spells, and also gain better saves to all spells

Has anyone theorycrafted a caster that only casts Magic Missile? There's got to be some way to increase the damage outside of higher level casting.

Is roll20 worth looking into?
Is it easy or hard to learn?

Build him

Easy to use, most of the time you just set up the rolls and click them. It's also really nice for scenery and RPing. The only trouble you will have is finding a party if you're a beginner.

I need some advice. Should I go full sorcerer or should i dip 3 into warlock for tome at lvl 7. Sorcerer is at lvl 6 now

What’s your dm’s stance on multiclassing?
What’s your race and subclass?
What metamagics do you have?

Last two should be ranger, wizard.

Also, just in case, have you ever read the 3e crusade era scenario in Dungeon Magazine 86?

Might be interesting/useful.

Homebrewing 5e is aids. Just play something else.

Probably not because it's fucking stupid

Yeah, it's called warlock.

What do you do when your party indiscriminately attacks, threatens, and kills NPCs for the fuck of it and refuses to acknowledge that they are evil?

Put them in jail

Force Alignment changes at that point also .

no your fuck stupid
>warlock
>magic missile
read the book

My party is really in need of a any sort of magic user, and since my character died last session, I'm trying to make a Cleric+something to cover up for the lack of healing and magic.
I'm don't usually deal with magic on DnD, so any tips on how I can make a character like that? (it will be lvl10 for now).

Alignment is meaningless in 5e.

Life Domain is your typical cleric, can't go wrong with that. Look into Light Domain if you're interested in being more of a spellcaster.
Personally I like to stick to a single class, but if I were to multiclass I'd have to recommend Celestial Warlock

I really like this and I’m going to use I.t in my campaign, thanks! How does “training” work, like do they just say “okay I trained for two weeks with quarter staff” and poof or do they actually have to do something?

>vitality/wound points
>can't have vitality points spill over to wounds with one attack
>if you have taken at least one wound point and have no vitality points left, you gain the wounded condition
>5 minute short rests, 1 hour long rests
>wound points take time or magic to heal

popcorn initiative if i'm feeling it

skill checks not critting i feel is quite common
done the same with an eldritch knight
persuasion, intimidation, etc. checks where you're having to rp usually has to be done or at least they say 'i wanna persuade them to sell X cheaper'
i do similar stuff with weapon proficiencies
i also add it, fully for the skill regarding the character and half (rounded down) for the other skills
at level 4 (and other subsequent levels that the book allows) i allow wizards and sorcerors to forego increasing their stats to gain a feat that allows them to cast an additional spell, basically extra attack but for spells only. they can only get this once, it doesnt stack

I wanna run a drug-trip one shot, basically some druid is gonna give the party some shrooms and they're gonna start hallucinating (illusions) and have to figure things out. Have any of your done this? Got any ideas?

>Skill checks don't crit
that's not a house rule, skill checks don't crit RAW

>no u
Magic Missile has its uses (forcing concentration/death saving throws, hitting low-HP, high-AC enemies) but it's a very dumb character concept, 100% inferior to an EB spam Warlock.

What's the best weapon for a paladin? sword and board? two hander?

whip for one handed reach smiting

So how do you people keep dungeons interesting? Especially long ones

Has anyone used the spell points variant rule? I've heard it gives Sorcerer's their feel back from other editions but I've also heard that it's pretty powerful.

Polearms, PAM lets you smite 3x per round (4 if hasted) either at 10ft reach or with a shield (using a quarterstaff).

>extra attack but for spells only
2 spells per round is incredibly OP.

Oh bugger off.

I'll have a look at that, I'm big into bringing thing from other editions. I used to play 4e, so I use a few powers from monsters and such from that monster manual. The Dark Ones "Dark Step" power is something I'm going to use with some assassins. I'm looking at some 3e stuff as well.

Cheers for the tip mate.

>its a dumb concept
>EB is better
That's all well and good but not what I'm after. This may be a bit much for someone with autism to understand but I'm interested in the theorycraft of a *hypothetical* caster that only does Magic Missile. Everyone knows EB spam is superior

Yeah, my sorcerer player uses it. It feels good because he can either use a bunch of spells normally, or a couple of spells using metamagic. It also gives the sorcerer basically unlimited access to low level magic. Don't let the wizard use it though, because it beefs them up too much.

>interested in the theorycraft
Literally why though, it's shit.
Evocation Wizard will make it somewhat better, If you're not too autistic to cast non-damage spells then Hex or Hunters Mark should boost damage too I think (unless they require an attack roll, since MM isn't an attack per se). That's about it though, there's nothing more to the concept which is why it's stupid (not just weak but also boring).

Sorry for the late response but dm says yes to multiclassing, sorcerer is a regular human and he has empowered and twinned metamagic

>"I cast Magic Missile at the darkness!"

Hammer of Justice

Are you dragon sorcerer?

hex and hunter's mark only deal their bonus damage if an attack roll is made

How can I play Rogue Modron/Fierce cube warrior

Then only evocation wizard would help with magic missile.

you're the type of shitter that can't appreciate a wild magic sorcerer

Are there any feats worth more than a +2 to spellcasting ability?

I ALWAYS allow Blood Hunter and Pugilist, and nobody's played them but I allow the EN5World Touch of Class classes (Alchemist, Cardcaster, Diabolist, Feywalker, Morph, Noble, Occultist) and also pretty much all of my EN5world homebrew archetypes, my favorite being the Shadow domain Cleric (which focuses on the disparity between light and darkness, not able being edgy).

why don't you take mushrooms and see if you have any fun ideas

For a pure caster, Warcaster and Resilient (Con) might be. Otherwise probably not.

War Caster and Resilient (Con) if you're not a sorcerer are nice. They can probably wait until you've maxed out your spellcasting ability, if you don't like missing.

How can I boost my spell save DC?