EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previously: >Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Unofficial and new, but has GOAT search interface and updates on time.
scryfall.com

>Thread Question
What one card would you take off the ban list and what one card would you add to the ban list?

>thread question
no, fuck you did you learn nothing? the thread always goes to shit when you talk about the banlist. i'm making a different thread.

>What one card would you take off the ban list and what one card would you add to the ban list?
I would bring back 'Banned as Commander' so Griselbrand and Braids would be playable. I would ban chaos cards like Scrambleverse. Because fuck you if you play that annoying shit.

Tell me the secret synergies, /edhg/

I agree with this guy banned as a commander should have never been taken away

Fuck you. I'm making a new thread.

Do you have to be a faggot?

imagine being this autistic

if you're gonna make one i won't make one, no reason to have 3 new threads at once. go ahead and make yours
nigger the general literally turns into a dumpster fire if you ask who would ban or unban what cards.

You got this user, I appreciate your consideration.

heard, new thread coming up then.

How do I make this guy work? Seems like if I get him down once he eats a removal spell ill never be able to cast it again. I want my timmy dino to now be dog shit

Not him but the only person making it a dumpster fire currently is you. STFU and talk about EDH.

How good/fun is chainer? What are some must haves and secret tech?
I've only built Xenagod so i don't really know how mono black works besides mana doublers and maybe some X spells

Hold on, Zacama has free mana.
Free Mana.
Free.
Mana.

>good
not very, as a reanimate commander there are better options. if he dies you just lose everything

>fun
subjective but i love my chainer deck. prefer it for my second more casual group

Get to 10 mana, cast him, use a way to bounce him to your hand, go infinite.

Besides that, just build Naya Goodstuff. He's the best neutral Commander Naya has.

He's not super competitive, but can be good in a casual format. Put stuff in that's good to reanimate. Rune-Scarred Demon for instance.

Buried Alive is a great card to get fatties into your graveyard. Put in mana doublers like Caged Sun, Cabal Coffers, and Crypt Ghast.

Good instant-speed win conditions in monogreen with an arbitrarily large, but not infinite amount of Mana?

>Sanguine Bond is reprinted at every opportunity
>Exquisite Blood has not been reprinted once
THANKS WIZARDS.

>get laid off
>unable to find work fast enough
>have to sell off cards to help cover costs

My collection is officially shot, had to break down 3 commander decks so far and I'm down to just 2 junk ones. This sucks

I feel you senpai, I got laid off too and I sold most of my collection. Keep whatever you can, get rid of everything you don't need.

I'm giving you good vibes, I know exactly how you feel. Maybe the sun will explode and we'll all die happy.

What deck should I use this guy in? Basically free mana seems nice

Any deck with red that wants lots of mana quick. It's awesome in my Purph deck

>Not sucking dick under a bridge before selling magic cards.

(But seriously that sucks. Hope things work out for you and you're able to get back in the game soon)

marchasa

Hey, at least you're more sensible than that redditor who lived on the streets for months because he didn't want to sell his lantern deck.

First of all, they need to have instant speed removal or a counterspell to deal with him because even if he dies him being out for 1 turn is usually enough to fuck someone to death with his abilities.
And this is if you're playing him in a fair way, as opposed to going infinite or using him as an infinite mana sink.

What's some fun janky tech for him? I've been brewing him but I don't want to loop Gary a million times

>What one card would you take off the ban list and what one card would you add to the ban list?
i would unban coalition victory. there are a million win conditions that require less work. it's a silly card.

banning cards is much more complicated than unbanning. i think sol ring, mana crypt, mana vault, protean hulk, and cyclonic rift are all ban worthy. i also run all of them and i think that it would be difficult and ill-advised to ban them now. if i could go back in time and ban them at the format's inception that would be different.

i would also be in favor of banning combos instead of banning cards. i also think the "banned as commander" thing is a great option.

>not off ban list
Nothing

>add to ban list
Razaketh so I don't have to paypal everyone $100/spoiler]

>Maximum Overbait
Here it comes.

We will never forget, never ever forget.

Sidisi is sweet.

>sol ring, mana crypt, mana vault
why not just ban all ramp, fuck it

>cyclonic rift
its a fucking 7 mana spell, its supposed to be game ending

That card is insane in Zada

Kokusho :^)

You can do the Fiend Hunter trick with Faceless Butcher and a sac outlet. It's even a Nightmare, and it's from the same set.

PAY DEBTS

>unban
Sway of the Stars

>ban
Protean Hulk

>does this snake look like a dick?
>fuck, it totally looks like a dick.
>give it arms, no one will know.

>why not just ban all ramp, fuck it
don't be silly. black lotus is a ramp card. sol ring is a ramp card. sakura tribe elder is a ramp card. just because they share the same purpose doesn't automatically make them all equally broken.

that's like saying "if griselbrand is banned why not just ban all creatures" it's an incredibly worthless statement.

>its a fucking 7 mana spell, its supposed to be game ending
honestly if cyclonic rift was sorcery speed when overloaded i think it would be pretty well balanced.

Oh man, I can finish a lot of decks with that $100.

>ban
cyclonic rift
>unban
griselbrand
they need to bring back banned as commander so we can have griselbeezy, braids, and rofellos in the 99

Don't forget killing yourself on stream you piece of shit

>unban grizzyboi
>still banned as commander
>just run razaketh and tutor him up then play him
>literally the same shit

this is why razaketh needs to be fucking banned

>Griselbrand in the 99
"No." You unban him as a commander so you don't have combo decks based around reanimating him stupidly early, but still get to use the giant stupid thing.

You know a card is busted, user, if it's an auto include in every deck that can run it.

What deck that runs blue wouldn't want a cyclonic rift?

And don't mention basic lands as an auto-include. I know you want to.

>8 mana

>implying black has a hard time getting 8 mana as early as turn 4 and sometimes 3

How do I Talrand?

>implying implications

35 lands, 10 card draw, 54 counterspells, 1 favorable winds

Shit, I have a Zada deck and didn't even think of that. Good call.

shit thread

r u avvin a giggle m8?

Your day of judgment is still coming, user. You better be ready to deliver, I want 100 dollars.

is Kess good at anything besides copying Torment of Hailfire and storm?

yes

Kess is good by reputation.

Because powerful t1 grixis decks use her, people think she's amazing. Really, she's a slight upgrade over Jeleva, and pretty good, but not transcendent. The deck is just stupidly good because it costs $12,000, and really, it only wins half the time, depending on how your storm works out. A smart opponent will make you play it out, and it's extremely easy to fuck it up.

Anyways, you could run wheels or discard. Recuring killspells is probably the best, particularly tendrils, but I always wanted to make a wheel into mass discard deck, then deck people with sphinx's tutelage, or throw out Waste Not and win in some elaborate way.

allright guys, here's a list of all my potential commanders. which one should i build?

Aboshan, Cephalid Emperor
Akiri, Line-Slinger
Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Ambassador Laquatus
Anthousa, Setessan Hero
Atarka, World Render
Basandra, Battle Seraph
Bladewing the Risen
Breya, Etherium Shaper
Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder
Crosis, the Purger
Daretti, Scrap Savant
Dragonlord Atarka
Dralnu, Lich Lord
Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief
Dromoka, the Eternal
Emmara Tandris
Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder
Ephara, God of the Polis
Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
Gonti, Lord of Luxury
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Heliod, God of the Sun
Intet, the Dreamer
Isperia, Supreme Judge
Jalira, Master Polymorphist
Jhoira of the Ghitu
Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer
Jori En, Ruin Diver
Kemba, Kha Regent
Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury
Krond the Dawn-Clad
Kruphix, God of Horizons
Lavinia of the Tenth
Maelstrom Wanderer
Marchesa, the Black Rose
Medomai the Ageless
Melira, Sylvok Outcast
Ojutai, Soul of Winter
Padeem, Consul of Innovation
Phenax, God of Deception
Pia Nalaar
Radha, Heir to Keld
Ramos, Dragon Engine
Reya Dawnbringer
Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
Ryusei, the Falling Star
Scion of the Ur-Dragon
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper
Sharuum the Hegemon
Shattergang Brothers
Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
Silas Renn, Seeker Adept
Silumgar, the Drifting Death
Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer
Surrak Dragonclaw
Sydri, Galvanic Genius
Talrand, Sky Summoner
Tasigur, the Golden Fang
Temmet, Vizier of Naktamun
Teneb, the Harvester
Thada Adel, Acquisitor
Thalia, Heretic Cathar
Thassa, God of the Sea
The Gitrog Monster
The Unspeakable
Thromok the Insatiable
Triad of Fates
Tymaret, the Murder King
Vela the Night-Clad
Vorel of the Hull Clade
Wasitora, Nekoru Queen
Zo-Zu the Punisher
Zurgo Helmsmasher

>move into new town
>find new lgs
>do fnm draft and edh afterwords
>there is a divide in the groups I notice
>looks like the standard guys who play edh have their own group while a group of high schoolers are another
>play with both groups and have a good time
>hear that edh is mainly played on Sundays
>figure what the hell
>oh god
>it was just the high schoolers with their orbiting friends
>one guy is just spouting memes
>another talks about every single sjw subject in under 30 mins to people they barely know
>reminded me of games done quick when every one is enjoying the game and that girl starts talking about white privilege and shit
>trying to enjoy my games
>I think I might just go to draft nights and play edh with the standard guys afterwords
Fuck I have a headache

Narrow it down to 5 and get back to me.

>playing at an LGS
>ever
just make your coworkers play with you like normal people

That's the point, the standard players are normal. The only time I have to deal with the high schoolers then is if they decide to draft

Also my co workers are other cops on different sides of the county. My office is my patrol vehicle.

allrighty, BRB

He sucks. I tried so hard, because he seems so fun but there is just no point.

Korlash, Heir to Blackblade

Licia

Thoughts on this dood?

I would unban griselbrand because I have a copy lying around that I desperately want to use and the only format I play is edh. As for a ban maybe lab maniac, its not busted or anything just kind of boring and it would force me to take it out of some if my decks.

allright i've got 10 is that acceptable?

he seems like a fun commander, he's got a good first ability too since you can stop the big threats on the field from attacking you. Him and etali go good in a deck together.

I just got a new job and I'm torn between picking up foils or building a new deck, what should I do? To be honest I'm eyeing up that full art og nib mizzet, but I don't even have a niv deck. Should I build that or something else? Would like to have a really pimped out commander something full art or foil don't really care about the colors, just want something that looks good.

>foils
pimping out decks means you can afford less cards. i'd rather have more unfoil cards.

Put it in a 401k

If he dies you have a myriad of sac outlets to choose from and your deck is bad if you don't have at least 2 out at all times.

What set symbol is that?

Just buy a battleaxe. You can use it to defend yourself, for wall decor and sell it if you need money. Honestly where's the downside?

ALL HAIL THE LICH LORD

allright, do i build
>jhoira
>deretti
>sharuum
>thada adel
>gitrog
>sidisi brood tyrant
>scion og the ur-dragon
>ruric thar
>dralnu lich lord
>tasigur

i've always wanted to build dralnu but i wanted to do something a little more interesting than counterspells with him. any tips?

Ruric Thar for you then

Google the fucking card and find out for yourself, you lazy fucking retard.

Wow maybe if you were helpful you wouldn't be so mad all the time, people would say thanks and you'd feel better about yourself

Nah. It's a simple fix, you're just lazy.

Why are you so mad

user has a point
we aren't gatherer dude

ruric thar is the best choice here. fun deck building. not overplayed. interesting interactions.

he's rightt. you shouldn't ask simple questions like that. you're on the internet. look it up. be empowered.

I've had Dralnu for a while now. He's pretty open-ended. I've built him as draw-go control, zombie tribal, taking turns combo, all kinds of ways. Right now I'm playing some mix of reanimator and control. He's one of those generals that never feels like you're using him to his full potential. Still love him though. Rise From the Tides into flashback Rise From the Tides for ~30 zombies is pretty sweet.

Wow this is awesome.

The only thing I can think of is to use Donate spells on Dralnu himself and then blast him with direct damage, Tower of Calamities or some shit, make an opponent sac their entire board

Normally I always try to have a Negate or something the turn I play him. One time, though, I cast Reins of Power in response to someone casting a Blasphemous Act.

here the 5 generals i'm looking at, nibbas

The Scorpion God
Tolsimir Wolfblood
Sisters of Stone Death
Daxos the Returned
Mangara of Corondor

Where to?

Is it wrong to want to make a Brion vehicles deck and throw trains and ships at people?

Might be easier with dat boi BOSH

Play Mangara. Everyone will want to be your friend so you don't exile their stuff.

But less flavorful.

>Official list of commanders who should stay in reddit
Edgar
Derevi
Zur
Oloro
Atarxa
Nekusar
Edric
Krenko
Animar
Meren
Breya

Anyone I'm missing?

What's wrong with Krenko? Is it okay if he's in the 99 of my Zada deck?

Krenko is acceptable in the 99 of things such as Zada and either Wort.

Daretti