How does it feel knowing that the people who make the RPGs you play, actively disparage you online with strawmen...

How does it feel knowing that the people who make the RPGs you play, actively disparage you online with strawmen? How does it feel knowing that, and the continuing to spend your dollars on their products?

pretty good since I left it long ago.

doesnt matter, this thread will get deleted anyway

Fantasy flight games gone full retard yet? Because they're the only company I've actively bought shit from.

Stop making these threads dickbag

I've never paid for a DnD product, so jokes on them.

>Fantasy flight games gone full retard yet?
Well, they did implement their stupid proprietary dice for all their new RPGs.

GW's been doing a lot better since they got their new CEO, at least.

how does it feel to still be upset over something so trivial a month later?

Seeing as how I don't insist on gatekeeping via rules and am fine with women at the table, I don't feel particularly disparaged.

>getting insulted
>trivial
REEEEEEEE

Well, I don't do those things so I don't think this is really aimed at me.

Is he saying women can't handle complex rules or dense lore

Indifferent. I don't care who these people are and they have no power over my games or any other aspect of my life.
I buy games from my local shop because the owner is a good man, and I want his business to do well. The practices and opinions of people on the internet, even publishers, won't effect the way I do things. That includes around the table.

Besides, this is old news and Veeky Forums has already talked it to death. Fishing with stale bait will only catch you so many fish.

As a full grown man I understand that they are businessmen and will do and say whatever they feel they need to in order to protect their profits.

As for how I feel about it, I couldn't give a shit what they think, say, or do because I don't need to pay for their products or play by all the rules they lay down in them.

Nah, I'm pretty sure it's about those settings that are so bloody filled at this point it's nearly impossible to find a part of it that doesn't have entire books of information. They've reached the point of density it's unwieldy to use and actively hurting attempts to run in it.

Mind you, he also made FR the main setting for 5e so...is he announcing his own firing?

>The world is full of greed, lies, tragedy, war, famine, and tragedy
>But fuck that shit, a tweet by a guy who makes imaginary elf games is what we should REALLY be outraged over!

Good thing I didn't pay a single cent for 5E, huh? Also, casuals should stop ruining shit.

next time you want a bait thread write sometnhg like
''how would you fix tg/. tg/'',or start a necromunda/pathfinder crossover thread

he's saying people who like that stuff also tend to hate women, mixing up correlation with causation I think

People don't do it in general, the cunt just thinks they do.

>How does it feel knowing that the people who make the RPGs you play, actively disparage you online with strawmen?
>actively disparage you

That's odd. I don't feel disparaged in the slightest by that tweet. Maybe you're just an easily offended manbaby.

Nah, you are just self conscious of your own gatekeeping, otherwise you would not relate with the person he's talking about.

>lore density
????
How is that bad and why are you seeing it so negatively, anons?

what the fuck is wrong with you people?

He really needs to find a safe place, don't you think?

There are absolutely people who do it. They aren't necessarily the majority, but they do exist.

I wouldn't even say they're a significant enough presence to be a problem, really, but you're kidding yourself if you think that there aren't people who will use every tool available to them to discourage the "wrong sort" from joining the hobby.

Its bigotry of low expectations. To get womyn to play dnd we have to make it real simple because we dont want to scare any away by making the game hard to learn.

In reality making the game simple actually makes it easier for all new people to get into it regardless of fiddlybits, 5e seemed to be made to get people into the hobby and has been pretty successful at it (whether that's good or not idk) but if you want broaden the game to everybody and two groups clash sometimes not picking sides is seen as picking sides. So dnd (mearls) has decided that the Tumblr crowd more represents dnd than Veeky Forums, mostly because tumblr will boycott anything that isnt overtly pc and a lot of Veeky Forums pirates. Also because mearls is riding on the 'ally' wave until he's outed as perv

>Paying for Handbooks
>Not stealing washers and paper to make homemade player tokens

I dunno, I remember trying to get into AD&D back when I was 12 and being basically told to fuck off because I only knew the core rulebook rather than every single kit. It does happen, mostly with games that have a heavy gap between 'Knows enough to play' and 'Knows every splat'.

Lore density itself isn't being presented as a bad thing, but the sort of person who uses it as a tool for exclusion is.

Nerds get bullied by those above. The same people who threw wrappers at your head at lunch now are calling you dirty neckbeards at MTG board meetings.

life is unfair

Um, sweetie? Delete this now?

>caring about dnd
>caring about the opinions about some fuck who designs for dnd
>caring about the lore for dnd
But really most importantly
>getting triggered by Twitter screencaps

>people don't do it in general
>there are absolutely people who do it
Learn to read, apologize, consider suicide.
Optionally, find jesus.

Yeah we are giving lot of importance to a stupid war

>It does happen
>people don't do it in general
See here Not memeing here, what's wrong with Veeky Forums's reading comprehension?

And nothing in the original tweet implied that it was something that people do "in general," merely that it happens in a nonzero percentage of the population.

I've already considered suicide multiple times today, but I'll give it another go.

If you're not on par with the level of nerddom expected by a group go join another or study up, faggot.
People don't have to be welcoming when they want to have fun, they just want to have fun, don't join my chess club if you only know checkers, pleb.

>spend dollars
>on pdfs

He also doesn't say people do it in genial, just that there are people who do (Which is true)

I was kept from playing in high school because I played football, and in college because the group I knew played wouldn’t let me because if I really cared about the hobby I would have been in it already. I only began playing because after Counter Monkey I found a group online through Spoony’s forum and some of us and some new people still play.

>People don't have to be welcoming when they want to have fun, they just want to have fun, don't join my chess club if you only know checkers, pleb.

As someone who actually ran a Chess club for years? No, we'd totally accept those people. Most of the people who joined were people who wanted to learn to play chess rather than people with a heap of experience at it. It's like how a fencing club doesn't expect everyone to be a proficient swordsman.

You seem to be having trouble parsing a simple statement, so let me do my best to spell this out for you.

The important term in Mearls' tweet is "gatekeeping." Fans who insist on *gatekeeping* via rules complexity and lore density is the problem.

Dense lore is fine. Complex rules are fine. Using these things to say that people who aren't as well versed as them aren't "real" D&D fans, however, are the people who Mearls is telling to fuck off.

>And nothing in the original tweet implied that it was something that people do "in general," merely that it happens in a nonzero percentage of the population.
Maybe you should read more than just that tweet of mike then and maybe you should show me where I said he said it in the tweet then.

>I've already considered suicide multiple times today, but I'll give it another go.
Make a choice and stop being a pussy about it, faggot. Being an indecisive bitch won't get you off the path that goz you to the decision and if you really wanna do it spending more time in a life you don't want to live doesn't make sense either.

ITT: OP trying to bait Veeky Forums the same way the bait the rest of Veeky Forums. Little do they know that Veeky Forums is less retarded than the rest of Veeky Forums

He's joking autismo

>How does it feel knowing that, and the continuing to spend your dollars on their products?

I haven't spent a fucking penny on RPG products since White Wolf died.

I haven't bought a D&D book since 3.5

>implying im not pirating everything

My group pirated everything until we made an amalgam of a system for ourselves.

The fact that he feels like it's worth tweeting about obviously means he thinks the number us not insignificant otherwise they wouldn't bebe worth complaining about by definition.

How does
>in general
Not mean anything to you people?
Yes, I'm sure it happens, murders happen too, but just because you killed a hooker and whine about it to me doesn't mean I'll think it's rampant.

>As someone who actually ran a Chess club for years?
You realize that he was making a point about group standards right?
Chess doesn't translate 1 to 1 to DnD so you taking it literally is the literal kind of autistic.

>The fact that he feels like it's worth tweeting about obviously means he thinks the number us not insignificant otherwise they wouldn't bebe worth complaining about by definition.

It's Mike Mearls, the guy in charge of D&D 5e. Of course he's going to make the most safe, generic statement that offends no one possible. Other possible tweets from Mike Mearls:

>Drugs are Bad, Mmkay
>Smoking is Bad, Mmkay
>Murder is Bad, Mmkay

this upsets me just because it's a defense of simplifying games and removing depth and complexity in the name of broader audience and more profits. it's the same shit that killed magic the gathering. the game is easier to play, women and normies like it more now, they sell more than ever, so it's a win for everyone except for the core audience who liked what the game was before.

i'm friends with a lot of trans and nb people and i've never heard any of them say "did you just assume my gender" or anything like that

shitqueers are out there but they mostly stick to college campuses and their own vitriolic corners of the internet and do not act like that in real life because they know nobody would put up with it

I apologize for triggering you, would you like to talk about it?

Yeah and my statement was also about group standards. New players who don't yet understand stuff are the lifeblood of a new community because very few people are going to sit down and study a topic in great detail before they try to get involved. Fun isn't a job.

Why do you assume that "core audiences" like overly complex or pseudo depth games anyway?

>I can't come up with an argument! Shit, what'll I do!?
>I know! I'll act like a 15 year old!

>Little do they know that Veeky Forums is less retarded than the rest of Veeky Forums
>katanas are faster than longswords due to their shape
I've been here for years and no, Veeky Forums is filled with the most retarded intelligent people I've ever met.
Or maybe the smartest retards.
But definitely not people who aren't dumb.

>joking
Are you new here?

Yeah okay buddy.

I don't play DnD.

did you finish reading the literal sentence that i said "core audiences" in?

i'm more familiar with mtg so i'll use that example. the era of game/card/art design that i enjoy the most is approximately late 90s to mid 2000's. i do not enjoy many of the changes that have been made to the game recently, and those changes were made with the intent of making the game more welcoming to people who are bad at playing it. this also happened to league of legends, to use a non-Veeky Forums example. i enjoy things that are difficult and complex and that have depth to them, because i find them more intellectually stimulating. i find it rewarding to be good at things that are difficult and complex. i do not get that same enjoyment out of a game that holds my hand the whole way through. it's just a distraction at that point.

>grognards pride themselves upon being grognards
>suddenly they aren't grognards anymore when literally anyone calls them out on it

Gatekeepers who try to exclude those who they don't think are "nerdy enough" exist. They exist in large enough numbers to have been a constant presence since the beginning of the hobby. Half the That Guys Veeky Forums complains about are just this sort of autist.

Get off your high horse. Nobody likes That Guy, least of all those who have to share a table with him. Stop trying to pretend it's an attack on the hobby in general instead of an attack on the section of the hobby that's full of faggots.

>i'm friends with a lot of trans and nb people
Yeah, bullshit.
Transexuality is pretty rare, so chances are you're friends with a lot of people who need counseling at best.
Also, non binary is a bullshit term used by retards and those who appease them.
2 genders, if you are truly transsexual you can subscribe to one of them, but don't try to make up new shit.

>Veeky Forums is filled with the most retarded intelligent people I've ever met.
Veeky Forums isn't full of geniuses, but it is smarter, or at least more civil, than 90% of the rest of the site

>Are you new here?
No. I'm no oldfag, but I've been here long enough to not be considered new

I think that there's a problem in your expectations, usually. You want things to be overly complex to the point that they're obtuse because it reinforces the elite club you wish to hold. You can say that MTG is more simple, but you're not a tournament player anyway so what does it matter? You wouldn't notice the changes overall if you didn't want them to feel better.

No one was ever excluded for "not being nerdy enough". They were excluded for not caring enough to read even basic rules.

>Fun isn't a job.
It's fun you retard and the group isn't responsible for others, jesus christ.
People don't need to lower their standards if they don't want to, I don't mind new people, but if a cunt like you would expect me to lower them for you I'd tell you to fuck off.
Playing in a group is a privilege, if the group has certain expectations, meet them or fuck off, don't try to guilt trip the group into accommodating your lazy ass.

My experience your experience hold the same weight, the only guy with actual data is the tweet you are bitchcing about.

>You want things to be overly complex to the point that they're obtuse because it reinforces the elite club you wish to hold
Or maybe because they want a deeper game with more variety, you retarded armchair psychiatrist.

dude what i literally have like ten plus friends who either transitioned fully years ago or are in the process of transitioning

why do you think that's impossible

i also don't like the concept of being "nonbinary" but i go along with it to be polite and it's part of the example. i don't really care if someone wants me to refer to them as "ensign fuckstick" if we're friends otherwise.

>you're not a tournament player anyway so what does it matter
well that's the thing i was, i was pretty good at the game, but as the game changes and becomes simpler and easier, my individual skill matters less and less over time, which is frustrating.

I really hated this, and yeah, it felt like an attack. It shouldn't. I'm pretty shallow for lore myself and much prefer low complexity rules now. Of the five players in my (D&D 5e) game three are female. So this shouldn't apply to me at all.

But I still feel like I have been uninvited to D&D.

I've been playing since 81 or 82 or so, first time I didn't feel like the hobby was a place for me.

An Argument for what exactly, user?
This is an imageboard, people make comments, others get butthurt.
I have no point to defend in the first place because there wasn't one.
Don't worry, you'll get used to the asspain eventually.

He must often roll for anal circumference

>the day user discovers privilege

>reading twitter

seriously that place is probably the worst thing humanity has created since the A bomb. And I'm posting on Veeky Forums. It's perfectly crafted to cause untold rage both real and manufactured and weaponize it within seconds

You know, you're acting very smug for someone with no point

>But I still feel like I have been uninvited to D&D.

Why? It's literally not being aimed at you, by your own explanation. Would you also be offended if he said 'Green Martians shouldn't play D&D, you have been fired from D&D?'

It doesn't exist and never did.

>mike
>data
No offense, but do you have brain damage?

Did you just assume xir planetary origins?!

My first dm interviewed me with a bunch of questions about genetic nerd shit to see if i would know before i was allowed to play. Looking back it was weird and not something i think i would tolerate now.

Answer with your wallet. Don't buy them anymore, don't follow them anymore, don't play games with their systems anymore.

don't care, i pirate most of my rpg shit lol

Generic goddamn i suck at typing

it's easily the best social networking site because of the semi-anonymous nature and the way it can expose you to other people's posts without the all-or-nothing nature of facebook friendship, etc, but that's not saying much

Oh fuck off green martian shitlord, stop oppressing white martians.

I agree. You should be banned on sight for posting screenshots of twitter

You're really stretching with that one

This. The great thing about capitalism is the ability to vote with your wallet

I think tumblr does that better as a platform. Shame about its community

Underrated

>dude what i literally have like ten plus friends who either transitioned fully years ago or are in the process of transitioning
Well done, there's a reason why the majority of them try to kill themselves and why regret after transitioning is a real problem.
Instead of blindly supporting it, try supporting some self-reflection and therapy. Gender dysphoria is a problem, but just some pills and operations nearly never solve it, because it's a symptom and not the root in all but the VERY tiny amount of transsexuals with brains that are structurally fucked.
Mind you, those aren't female brains either and they still resemble males more,but they are different at least.

>inb4 ftm exists too
I know, not the point.

>why do you think that's impossible
Because the genuine article is incredibly rare and you'd have to hit literally astronomical chances.
>but i go along with it to be polite and it's part of the example
You're not polite, you're supporting a problem, have fun explaining that to the few survivors in 20 years.

>disparage you with a strawman

What stupid comment this is. You can't be disparaged through a strawman of a factual statement. If you don't gatekeep, then this statement doesn't apply to you. If you do, then it does. How confusing is this to you tg or are you like v and like to manufacture a feeling of being attacked?

>D&D

There's your mistake.

Possibly because I'm not in a debate but in a thread for entertainment.
You're acting awfully butthurt for somebody who's here to have fun.

The tweet says that "gatekeeping" includes being opposed to dumbing down of the system.

I'm not butthurt, I'm just baffled

no it doesn't

Nice strawman

No, it's implying that abusing rules in order to gatekeep is fucked up. Which it is, we have That Guy and That DM threads all the time about the same behavior I don't see why this is complicated.

That’s funny, because that feeling you just described is literally privilege - the thing you are still denying exists because you are privileged... because you are privileged. Maybe just chill out and accept that it isn’t about you, dad.

>I'm just baffled
Baffled that not everybody's here to argue or make a point?
Why do you live in such an antagonistic world, user?

exaggeration =/= strawman

WotC has been extremely open about using the data they’ve collected about the people that play D&D. They literally had like a dozen open play tests with surveys and have a monthly UA with survey.