High Oriental Fantasy Races

Long story short, I'm sick of the generic "Oriental Fantasy games are literally just Historical Fantasy, but in Japan or China". What are some non-human races that can readily work into an Oriental Fantasy setting, either from original myths or otherwise?

For example; kitsune, tanuki, mujina, itachi, nekomata, jorogumo, oni, kappa, ratfolk, rabbitfolk, monkeyfolk, nagas, rokurokubi and serpentfolk all immediately spring to mind.

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Oriental_Dragon
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TigerVersusDragon
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

A simple one I've used in my own setting is to orientalise dragonborn. Not quite a traditional eastern monster race but then again Dragonborn don't exist in western folklore either.

Seeing as "Orient" includes everything between Arabia and Indonesia, why don't you throw in some djinns and mermaids and even weirder shit from there?

>high oriental races
I thought opium was outlawed

Why do people insist on shitting on the concept of Kitsune and make them furrys or gijinkas? They're great as they are

What about Koropokkuru, OP?

>Koropokkuru
Honestly, I've been soured on them by D&D's Oriental Adventures sourcebooks, where they're literally called "Japanese Dwarves" and treated as somewhere between the mechanics of a dwarf and the culture of a halfling.

Plus, from what I've heard of their mythology, they really sound like a culturally appropriate tweak to D&D's Forest Gnome. Not a bad race in the slightest, but kind of underwhelming.

Just have them like they are on the myths, really small, it makes them way more interesting them simple life dwarf and wacky gadgeteer dwarf. In my setting gnome and koropokkuru are the names given to the same creature by different cultures. The same goes to:
>Elf/Djinn/Deva
Race of spirit folk, higher then men, lesser than god
>Oni/Ogre/Rakshasa
Race of big brutes
>Cait sith/Nekomata
Cat spirits

But if you want a possible playable race try the Dodomeki

Definitely works, and it's more exotic than the "Spirit Folk" tend to be.

Honestly, I'm quite pleasantly surprised with the ideas that've come forth so far. Should I elaborate upon my own ideas?

as long as it's not furshit

...You do know that roughly 80% of Japanese folklore tends to revolve around magical animals doing things like pretending to be people, right?

Asian heavens and hells are almost terrestrial places that you can walk to (if you know where to get in). A Korean myth involves a girl basically going to boarding school in heaven and falling in love with a divine person. I think the Soratami/moonfolk in MtG alluded to this idea, so some sky race might add something.

I forget their name, but Ainu myth had the tiny green/leaf people, basically Japanese brownies. Tengu also are a thing.

Djinn, effreet, diva, or other magical/divine species you could work into either stable races or common/known background monsters. Find a few Indian gods like Gandiva and base an elephant race around them.

Tell me more about playing kitsune.

Sounds like reskinned/reflavored planetouched races could be helpful, but thanks a lot.

>I forget their name, but Ainu myth had the tiny green/leaf people, basically Japanese brownies
Koropokkuru

Okay, personally, these are the first races to pop into mind when it comes to Oriental High Fantasy:

Hengeyokai: My big issue with D&D's treatment of these is how it tends to reduce them to a one-trick race, rendering the result incredibly boring. Instead, I treat them as what they are in the myths; distinct races with distinctive cultures, traits and abilities, but sharing the one racial trait of shapeshifting.

Ratfolk: The Nezumi appear in both Kamigawa and Rokugan for a reason. The Rat is the first animal in the Japanese/Chinese Zodiac, and in native Japanese mythology is associated with Daikoku, the God of Weath, Fertilty and Industry. So, whilst nezumi as a "ninja race" works, a more Japanese-appropriate depiction would be as farmers, smiths and merchants. In either case, they're distinctively not evil.

Rabbitfolk: With this race, one could go two routes. The first is the "Jade Rabbit" route, depicting them as a race of alchemists, healers and mages. The second is a more warlike race - akin to the Shin'hare, who are a compound of the worst traits of Imperial Japan, Communist China and North Korea all wrapped up in cute little bunnyfolk.

Vanara: Aside from these monkeyfolk being an actual Indian mythological race, the concept is readily reworked into kung fu-fighting monkeys ala the infamous Son Goku/Son Wukong of Journey to the West.

contined

Oni: Japan's ogres are highly distinctive, they're not always evil in their own mythology, and the Oni (under the name "Ogre Mage") actually was a surprisingly well-balanced PC race in AD&D's Complete Book of Humanoids. They can easily replace the Goliath or Half-Orc as a resident "big bruiser" type race in Oriental D&D.

Tengu: The blend of skilled swordsmanship and flight might be hard to balance, but these are one of the more "civilized" yokai, and so readily suggest themselves as PC fodder.

Kappa: Again, the need for water may require balancing, but kappa aren't always evil in the stories. They even taught humanity the arts of sumo wrestling and bone setting. Plus, a small but strong race with ties to the water is certainly unique, yes?

Nagas/Serpentfolk: Rokugan had Nagas in the "humanoid from the waist up, giant snake from the waist down" style, and they were actually a PC race in Rokugan D20. Kamigawa has the Orochi, a race of non-malevolent four-armed serpentfolk warrior-mystics from the deep jungle. Snakes have a very positive association in Asian mythology, so non-evil serpentfolk make plenty of sense, to me.

Curseborn: There are several distinct varieties of Yokai in Japanese mythology who are humans under dark curses, most notably the dodomeki/todomeki, the futakuchi-onna, and the rokurokubi. None of these races are inherently evil, so could easily be developed in an Oriental Fantasy setting into being true-breeding races, ala tieflings or drow.

Yuki-onna: At heart, not that different to the Winterkin Eladrin of 4e; a "fey" spirit with elemental affinity for the cold.

Moonfolk

The Dutch, English, and Germans.

How exactly would you orientalize dragonborn? D&D does have Lung Dragons, but how would you tweak the 5e dragonborn to draw from them?

1d4chan.org/wiki/Oriental_Dragon

The first thought that comes to mind is that "oriental dragonborn" may begin their life as amphibious kobold-like beings, reminiscent of the Yu Lung, and then mature into a true dragonborn-like being reminiscent of one of the seven "adult" breeds of Lung Dragon.

So, query; aside from discussing race ideas, would discussing stat ideas also be thread-relevant?

I do really like (and have used in fantasy settings) the chinese version of hell after reading about it in a Feng Shui supplement. With all the Yama Kings and being burocratic af. You are a demon working on the Tongue Ripping Chamber? Well, I hope that tongue ripping is going good, because there is a fucking quota to cover and you are lagging behind. Being a demon there is miserable, the supernatural equivalent of flipping burgers for eternity.

Which lead to a lot of stories of demons trying to trick mortals into covering their post (the Yama Kings don't care who is doing the work as long as someone is doing it) so they can finally be free and have a fucking break.

Yep dodomeki are nice as an idea, but as many of japan fucked up mosnters the idea is not elaborated upon.
We have humans with tons of eyes. How is their culture different from ours?

Because dwarves and elves with minimal differences from baseline humans have pretty distinctive cultures.

>but as many of japan fucked up mosnters the idea is not elaborated upon.
>We have humans with tons of eyes. How is their culture different from ours?
That's because there's no asian Tolkien. Elves and dwarves, which were the actual "dark elves", on the folklore and myths are nowhere as developed as the ones from middle earth, they were like how we imagine aliens today, some use them explain things they don't understand(like say, the pyramids), others tell shady tales of direct encounters with them and some just speculate how they would look like, both aliens and myths are manifestations of the human fear and curiosity for the unknown. When you have those beings developing civilizations and stuff you loose some of the wonder behind them imo

If you want to have asian elves and dwarves you'll have to either build it yourself or just change their appearance and themes while keeping their roles as elves and dwarves

I'm feeling bored.
Wanna develop one of the above mentioned races.
Chose any (possibly not the animal+human ones) and I will start.

Again, always down for Moonfolk. Alien rabbit people with magitech and lunar magic are fuckin' lit.

some of those have to be hidden forever.

Great. Now we can have real moonspeak.
You may think you need a great teleport or a flying ship to get to the moon. Those are not the only way. If you descend into earth tunnels and wander you may come out of tunnels situated on the moon. You will need a key or a piece of moon to make this journey but is possible.

People believe bunnies dig into earth to get back to the moon.

As a race Moonfolk have white fur that when illuminated has the same effect as moonlight: causes werewolves to turn etc.

As for the niches they cover:
Very elegant refined.
Frail.
Maybe make them experts of flying lanterns and flying castles?

Their ability to survive both and moon and earth could translate into some control over gravity.
Allowing them to jump very high or squash their enemies with it.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_Etw_BwRoY

I would make them taller and slender then humans.
With high magic affinity it turns them too similar to elves. We need something that subverts a common elf trope.

Didn't realize these predated anime.

>subverts a common elf trope
They breed like Rabbits

That's good. Again, I think the magitech angle could be played up, in contrast with the hippy-dippy tree hugger shit.

Are they facing overpopulation on the Moon?
Are they cyberpunk bunnies in a fantasy setting????

Like the ones that escaped, have access to powerful magitech but are hiding.
If they even let the Moonlight touch them the ones on the moon will become aware and send ninja bunny assassins?

>And when you gayze into the abyss...

Is that an eye in your ass or are you just happy to shirime?

They believe in progress to the extreme in contrast to Elves adherence to Tradition.

they want to uplift humans! Cyberpunk runaways trying to uplift in secret.
If they fuck up too much a laser from the moon will evaporate them.

How about Bakemono? Think we can do better than just making them Asian orcs?

mac Guyver Moon bunnies.
They can build a magic array from sticks.

Sometimes it's even more expansive than that and edges into parts of Europe.

This thread's given me some pretty solid ideas for the not!Japanese region of my own setting. Is it okay if I throw them out and see what anons think?

Show me yours, and I'll show you mine.

Ha, as for what you have there done, I am aware.

Alright... Long story short, the "Oriental" region is part of a greater magitek dieselpunk world, and it's isolated less because of xenophobia and more because the closest route is through a perpetually stormwracked sea full of monsters, treacherous currents, whirlpools and other nastiness.

>The Lung Clans: Oriental Dragonborn who begin life as amphibious, kobold-esque "Yulings" who then mutate into dragonborn-like beings when they mature. Largest empire on the continent, but not unchallenged, both from without and within.

>Kitsune: Magic-wielding foxfolk nomads, essentially one part classic kitsune, one part gypsy. Make their living through performance, fortune-telling, useful tools, trickery and petty theft.

>Tanuki: Irreverent and primal denizens of the deep forest. Tricksters, hedonists and mystics respected for their magic & brewing skills, but not exactly major players on the imperial stage.

>Hare Clan: Descendants of migratory rabbitfolk who crossed over centuries ago and severely lost their way. Ruled by cruel witch-kings who practice diabolism, blood magic and necromancy, they are a warmongering breed driven by the pursuit of conquest and power. Not universally evil, but are generally The Bad Guys.

>Oni: Warlike and tribal ogre-kin with a primal connection to magical energies. Residents of the rugged hill-country, they are mostly known as a race of mercenaries, exporting individuals or whole armies in pursuit of battle, fame, loot and liquor.

>Wukong: Mystic monkeyfolk who inhabit a harsh region of mountainous forests and pursue a philosophy of spiritual enlightenment through physical perfection. Basically the Monk race, in contrast to Samurai Dragonborn, Ninja Kitsune, etc.

Had to split it up due to length.

>Moonfolk: Inhabitants of a flying city (actually a damaged, prototype magitek spaceship), a mysterious and enigmatic race renowned for its mastery of magic. Actually the result of interbreeding between a clan of Moon Elves that tried to return to earth (didn't work out so well) and the Hare Clan ancestors who turned away from their corrupt kinsfolk.

>Ratfolk: Actually not natives, but merchants, spies, mercenaries and traders who have been in contact with not!Orient for the longest of the other races beyond.

That's basically it so far, but... isn't there a symbolic conflict between dragons & tigers in Japanese/Chinese mythology? I was thinking maybe a "Nekomusume" faction might be a good rival for the dragonborn...

>dragons & tigers
This: tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TigerVersusDragon

Sounds pretty cool. In fact, I'm stealing the Wukong name for my Vanarans. You've got a great mix of people here, and they're all pretty interesting. I'm also a huge sucker for dieselpunk.

I'll share my Oriental setting if you still want it for comparison.

>tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TigerVersusDragon
Many thanks! Yes, now, do I go with the idea of big, strong, war-like tigers being controlled/led by smaller, mystical cats, or just keep them "pure" tigers...?

Also, thank you so much for the compliments on the racial assortment; I'd like to fit other hengeyokai into the setting, but I figured that this was a good, solid "base" set.

Really glad you like the Wukongs; as I said, whilst the Vanara in D&D and PF go for an India theme, their same basic fluff can easily stand in for kung-fu ape-spirits in the vein of Son Goku/Son Wukong.

And if you got an Oriental setting, then go ahead and share it!

Nice to know I'm not the only person who reads D&D's Oriental Adventures and rolls their eyes at the unimaginative humanocentric approach. Seriously, it's not like we need handholding for Japanese Historical Fantasy settings...

>D&D's Oriental Adventures
>not like we need handholding for Japanese Historical Fantasy settings
Um......ah. The shorthand name of my setting is Sengoku World.

So anyway:
>Human: The primary setting takes place on the Yamato Islands, dominated by humans engaged in a century long civil war. Humans from the Continent are very different, but also rarer to see. I'll do another post about politics.
>Kitsune: Rarely seen outside of their mountain strongholds in Yukigahara, they are renowned spiritualists, diplomats, and archers.
>Half-Oni: Descendants of evil spirits and mortals, Half Oni are ogre-like humanoids prone to fighting and thuggery.
>Asuras: Foreign humanoids descended from enigmatic Light Spirits, also extremely warlike, tend to have halos and burn red.
>Devas: Foreign humanoids descended from Shadow Demons. Actually highly personable and charismatic, if subtle and sneaky.
>Vanara: Monkey-men known for their sense of humor, as well as their legendary strength.
>Genasi: Humans who appear to have strange appearances and abilities based on an elemental ancestry. They are organized into ninja clans more often as not.

1/2

>Rabbitfolk: With this race, one could go two routes. The first is the "Jade Rabbit" route, depicting them as a race of alchemists, healers and mages. The second is a more warlike race - akin to the Shin'hare, who are a compound of the worst traits of Imperial Japan, Communist China and North Korea all wrapped up in cute little bunnyfolk.
Checks out.

Politics
Yamato is a beautiful, mountainous island nation. One torn asunder by civil war and foreign invasion. First, the two sons of the Emperor each claimed the Lotus Throne, splitting the nation between those daimyo who support each son. Before this could be resolved, the Yun Hordes invaded by sea from the continent. Unopposed by any "Divine Wind", they led a bloody invasion of the island, devastating the land, and leaving much of it cursed and haunted. Before the Yun were kicked out, the Southern Emperor fled to Enishima instead of standing and defending his nation, while the Northern Emperor was always seen as less legitimate, being the second son. This left the matter undecided by the end of the war.

The Shogunate collapsed in the wake of the war. Their poor decisions, general corruption, and arrogance eventually drove their enemies to destroy them in a notorious ambush. The current situation is much like the real Sengoku Period: A hundred clans, daimyos, and warlords vie for military domination of the island while courting one or both of the Imperial Courts.The East is dominated by the Oga Clan, whose endless Ashigaru forces, Imperial support, and deep reliance of cannon and musket have led them to nearly overtake all their foes. The central, former capitol region is run by a triple alliance of the Kawagami (wealthy samurai merchants), Tojin (ikko-ikki priests), and Suochi (borderline ninja-samurai) clans. The West is held by Henshin "The Demon" Kaneda, though he's having too much fun beating the hell out of his local rivals to try to seize total power yet. The Aizushima and Kasagawa islands are in total anarchy after a Ninja assault wiped out the leader of the Akasuna Shinobi (ie; PCs had a moment of awesome), and the Southern Emperor directly rules Enishima through the Shimiwara Shogunate.

This is in addition to the appearance of gaijin traders, including armor plated giants with plentiful cannon to sell to any side that will pay.

Done. Rate?

Fuck, I forgot Ratfolk and Kenku.

>Ratfolk: Pirates, swindlers, and mercenaries. They thrive everywhere there's a port. It's not their fault they're immune to the disease they spread.
>Kenku: Everywhere there's mischief to be had, you will find Kenku. These thieving little birds love tricking people with their perfect mimicking abilities, and tinker with anything mechanical they can lay their claws on.

Sounds interesting to me. The bit about the armor-plated giants; are they supposed to be just humans (given the whole "Westerners are taller than the Japanese" thing), or are they a different race (orcs, goliaths, etc)?

They’re actually half-giants and ogres that work for a far off Western empire. I’ll admit they were originally meant to be a reference to Space Marines as an easter egg for my players. Then the Monk challenged one to a fist fight, won by the narrowest of margins, and then converted to their gaijin religion so at least it made a good session.