/bbg/ - Blood Bowl General

Season XI Incoming Edition
Details about signups will be in my next post.

bloodbowl.com/
thenaf.net/
fumbbl.com/
bbtactics.com/
plasmoids.dk/bbowl/Bloodbowl.htm
1d4chan.org/wiki/Blood_Bowl

The rules that are being replaced on FUMBBL, the CRP (aka LRB6):
marmeladov.com/BB/LRB6.pdf

The new GW released 2016 edition books, including the Deathzones supplements: mega.nz/#F!uw4XiYxK!tboZyS7RM-rrPJ93nSAmSg

Stunty Leeg handbook:
fumbbl.com/files/Stunty_Leeg_Handbook_v1_0_1.pdf

Veeky Forums FUMBBL League group:
fumbbl.com/p/group&group=9828&op=view

Veeky Forums Stunty Leeg group:
fumbbl.com/p/group&group=10178&op=view

Veeky Forums Secret League group:
fumbbl.com/p/group&group=10393&op=view

Veeky Forums Monkey League group:
fumbbl.com/p/group?op=view&group=10667

Discord Server: discord.gg/3mpKZx2
FUMBBL IRC servers are dead. Go to the Discord instead.

Other urls found in this thread:

fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=9828
fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=898494
fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=898339
warhammer-community.com/2018/02/19/new-games-new-york/
bbtactics.com/strategy/articles/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Hello. After a bit of a hiatus, I am opening signups for Season XI of the Veeky Forums FUMBBL League for about 2 weeks. For now, I am only opening the Rookie division (which means only new teams allowed) as this is the 1st time I am actually running the league and I imagine many new players signing up. However, I could open the Veterans division if there is enough interest in that. In the case I do, I'll allow coaches to join both divisions, assuming the coach has a non-rookie team that isn't exhausted.

For those who are new to this league, the page of the league is at fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=9828
This page contains all the rules and regulations of the league, and it is the place to submit a [L] team. The records there are a bit outdated at the moment as I have been busy as of late and didn't have much time to update it, but I will at least get something done there before the new season starts.

Anyway, if you have any questions, you can post them in this thread or in the Discord. I have a feeling I am forgetting something.

It is time.

Got a league game coming up and got 330k inducements. No wizard is available so I am strongly thinking Star Players. Who should I get between Lord Borak or Blackhoof. Blackhoof could give me pitch control and sirfs but Borak is cheaper and has block. Who go?

Just bought BB2 and all the expansions since they were on sale

wat do

Play and have fun!

Play against AI to learn the basics, play open ladder to learn to play against people.
You'll get a mix of new and veteran players, some matches you will get the shit kicked out of you, sometimes you'll have a chance to win.
It all takes practice to pick up things and "git gud"

I've never played blood bowl, but it's /v/ counterpart is cheap as shit right now. Is it worth grabbing? Are people playing it?

Yes. Loads play BB2 (for a tg based vid) and you wont be lacking in opponents. Has a steep learning curve but its fun as hell.

Pro tip: Start as Orcs

Aight, thanks user.
Is the Legendary edition worth it for a starter? Or are the DLC teams aimed at advanced players?

This may just be me being blind, but how do I pick a different formation or make substitutes? I don't want two throwers and two catchers on the field for defense.

You can change your formation before the ball is kicked by clicking your players and moving them to a different square with a click.

You can also swap players with substitutes, substitutes are on the sidelines, you click the player you want to sub and click the player that's subbing him.

I'm on game 2 of the campaign and it's not letting me do anything other than kick. Is it locked until later on or am I just retarded?

Oh, the campaign railroads you and doesn't have everything until the 4th mission I think

Borak is usually better, but it can depend on who you're facing.

HUMIE POWER! EAT SHIT GREENSKINS AND STUNTIES

FUCKING ELVES REEEEEE

Yea the campaign is pretty dumb, it game by game tries to teach you new mechanics while leaving them out of the previous game - so at first for instance, you don't need to make a roll for any ball handling or GFIs. Then later on you do.

Legendary is worth it. Very worth it. I mean, they are for "advanced" players but I started and learned blood bowl through Goblins so nothing stopping you from learning with anyone outside of Orcs and humans, the arch typical starter teams.

So the turnover system they just introduced is retarded.

So I just attacked an elf lineman with my own and it resulted in both players being KO'd. And now it's the Elf's turn.

This system is fucking cancer, uninstalling.

>the game punishes me for failing!
>it's cancer!

Bye.

>Very worth it
Well, just bought it. Thanks user.

No problem. Have fun. Remember, start with Orcs or Humans.

Thanks. In what case would Grashnak be better than Borak? Borak has less strength but that block and MB combo with AV9 seems pretty sturdy.

I will. I bet every team I fancy playing is hot trash for starters, so no hurries.

If you're up against a team where you don't think they'll be able to knock down Grashnak you can use his small amount of extra movement to position him a bit better. This is more relevant when your team is developed as well, so you have other players with Block and MB that will handle all the blocking already.

I see. I would have thought Borak would be a nice addition even on a developed team. I guess the best question is, who would be better if shit hits the fan?

Hey, i made 2 teams and actually even fully portraited one.

fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=898494
fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=898339

Which shall i enter the league with?
Also, new name suggestions are welcome, as i am inevitably going to need a lot of replacements.

Welcome to Blood Bowl you fucking nerd. Get fucked.

Borak is still usually better on a developed team, but having Block is more important for a new team than a developed one.

Be cool and roll High Elves.

Dark Elves

You've already put yourself through too much high elf suffering

Thanks. Big Bad Lord Borak it is!

These 2 teams are an accurate "Before and after" representation of my Blood Bowl experience

It's the particular method in which it punishes you. I'm more than happy to trade my guy for theirs in this particular circumstance, but the game says "Oh, you both got knocked out? Haha, you failure. Their turn!"

And that's on an action that was with two dice. So it's not like I was going for a real long shot.

warhammer-community.com/2018/02/19/new-games-new-york/

blitz bowl

Prioritize your reroll management. You want to do an action with the least likely chance of ending your turn with reroll on hand.

>You want to do an action with the least likely chance of ending your turn with reroll on hand.

Yeah, I already learned that, which is why I made sure to say that it was a two-dice action.

Blood Bowl is a game about risk management, things will go wrong, so learn to control the risk so when things go wrong you're not left with your pants down. And just as you'll get bad luck, your opponent will also get bad luck.

Sometimes that's just what happens. If you get so easily assblasted over luck then Blood Bowl isn't your game. Granted, we all get salty over luck, but it's important to realize that's just the nature of luck, and your opponent can get just as much bad luck as you, if not worse, and viceversa.

Am I wrong or it comes with two blitzers and a black orc?

Part of the turn over mechanic is preparing what happens if you fail. For example sometimes its better NOT to throw a 2d block OR go for the 2d block. Its better to let them take the hit than compromise your position.

Or go for the 2+ dodge*

>tfw you agree with the guy

Someone can criticize the game without you all getting assblasted about it. Personally I got over it as my teams leveled and got skills to mitigate it, but it's totally OK to dislike a core mechanic.

>user gets assblasted over a game mechanic
>We give user tips to deal with said mechanic
>We're the ones assblasted

???

So why can the enemy team push my guys out but I can't push theirs?

Let's say it's like so:

OOI
AXI
OOI

Where the X is the target and the A is the attacker and the I's are the sideline.

They attack me and push my guy out.

I attack them, and it lets me push them along the sideline, but not out.

I think you misunderstand. No one likes getting turn overs. But he did say he was uninstalling the game over them. The point of turn overs is to promote risk management. In and of itself I doubt people like a turn being cut short. But its function within the game as a mechanic is sound.

You need to push directly from the side. Like directly left or right. If its from an angle there is a "free" square. From a direct side attack there is no free square so they get shoved out.

It's totally fine to dislike a game mechanic and uninstall a game over it. There is no objective answer. Personally I don't think turnovers work very well for the purpose.

lol nah, the answers were
>bye
>get fucked

Then the guy responded and people actually gave advice, kinda.

if there's any valid place on the pitch to push them to, they don't go out of bounds. you can only push someone out of bounds when there is no other free spot for them to be pushed to

I literally just bought the game, and just reading about it while it downloads, it seems it's all about minimizing risks that cause turn overs. That other user is kinda silly desu.

Those are the only right answers to someone going 'this is cancer, uninstalling' without any further explanation.

That's exactly what happened, though. I pushed directly from the side, their elf slid along the sideline. Then vs the Bretonnians, they pushed me right out.

The elf probably had the Sidestep skill, it lets them choose the square they're pushed to.

It depends on the angle of the attack. The only time you can make a player go crowdsurfing is when out of the three directions they are pushed, the only places for them to go without being pushed into another player are into the sidelines. If there is available space in a direction that the block would push them, they have to go to one of those.

In your diagram, attacking the X from the northwest "O" will not push them into the crowd because they can be pushed into the south "O". However, if another player is in that south "O", then they will be surfed, because the only other two directions they could go are both into the sidelines.

Some examples:

AOI
OXI
OBI

OAI
OXI
CBI

In each case the attacker is A, and the other available spots that X would be pushed into are occupied by B and/or C. So the only place left for them to go is into the sideline spaces.

If you got players with "block" on your team, prioritize attacks with them first with two dice. Then normal 2 dice. Rarely do 1d unless its to break a crirical gap open or kill the ball carrier. Orcs start woth 4 blitzers who start with block. Using 2 back field to defend your carrier and 2 to fight with the black orcs is a formiddable strategy.

When kicking, keeping 2 backfield as linebacks is also excellent use of their block skill to intercept break throughs.

He's not silly, he just quickly identified something that will prevent him from enjoying the game and opted not to waste hours on it.

That's why I'm confused though, it was totally open field in both cases. So I felt like my guy should have slid instead of being forced out.

Also two things to note:

The skills Sidestep and Grab often end up affecting surf attempts.

OOI
AXI
OOI

So if X has Sidestep, he can't be surfed here - the Sidestep skill makes any adjacent unoccupied squares a valid space to be pushed to (and the defending coach gets to choose the space, not the attacker). To surf a Sidestepper, you need to fill all adjacent spaces with other players. Like so:

BBI
AXI
ABI

Here I've just split them into teams to make it clear that the spaces can be occupied by the sidesteppers own team, "B", so a coach building a sloppy cage on the sideline to protect his Sidestepping ball carrier may end up contributing to a surf happening. Either "A" player could make a block that would lead to a surf here.

The simpler way of surfing a Sidestep player, is to do it with a player who has Grab. Grab lets a blocking player push his opponent into any unoccupied adjacent space, just like Sidestep lets a defending player do. These two skills cancel each other out - even on a Blitz action, which normally doesn't allow for Grab to be used. Thus a Grab player blocking a Sidestep player can surf them in the usual fashion. Grab has one caveat though - you do not want to use it when making a surf block on a player without Sidestep. Saying "yes" to the optional use of Grab in that scenario means that now all unoccupied adjacent spaces are a legal place for them to go, stopping them from being surfed.

>tfw you're trying to foul the Bretonnians but the game keeps sending all yours guys off

I'm not going to have a team left to get this last foul

These fucking Bretonnians just did it again. One of their Blitzers pushed my guy straight out despite him having a free square to either side to slide into. What the fuck is this bullshit?

And he only has block, btw, just checked. It's the 4th or 5th game of the campaign.

by free space do you mean empty? if there's a person in the space you could be pushed to you can still get surfed.

This is how pushing works user.

Rulebook

It's hard to explain with out actually showing you. Have a read of the rules that OP has linked. When you can see what a legal pushback square is, it'll all make sense.

Yes, empty.

Yes, I understand. But what's happening is that my guy is getting pushed straight out while theirs is getting to slide. And it's early in the campaign so nobody has fancy skills, only Block and Dodge. And this is the third time it's happened.

I get the rules as far as I have read and they have been explained. What I don't understand is why the game apparently doesn't give a fuck.

You're probably hitting them from the wrong angle without realizing it.

I'm almost certain you aren't 100% on the rule and everything is fine, your positioning is probably not good.
You'll figure it out user, don't stress

I don't understand how I can make this more simple.

In all three cases, the blue player is theirs and attacked mine (yellow) and pushed them out, and none of the squares to either side of them were occupied.

Conversely, when I am in the *exact* same situation and attacking, they slide to one of the green squares on either side.

Yep, that's how it works right there. You have no other possible square to go but out, so they're pushing you out.
If what you are saying is correct about what's happening when you do it, Then they have sidestep skill. No ifs or buts, have a look at their skills, then look again. There is no other explanation other than the game is cheating, or your blue square dude is either up or down a square.

I looked at the skills for every player and nobody has sidestep.

Is this just some moronic part of the campaign, liked the bribed goblin ref randomly KO'ing my players?

Could be? BB2 does this stupid thing where the skills are little icons opposed to just having it written?

I checked the icons.

Can you post a screenshot of it occuring?

Get your catcher to run around the left and mark top left of the enemy carrier.

Where you have two linemen with blitzer in the middle, 2d block with lineman to the right and knock the enemy knight top left. Then blitz with the now free blitzer against the carrier.

Sorry, lost my comment.

I'll try. While I'm at it, here's my current situation. How should I best go after the ball carrier?

Both of the catchers have already moved though.

Can you draw arrows on the picture or something? There's no blitzer in the middle, so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. I have three blitzers, two are on the right and one is the farthest guy to the left.

Crap. Missed that. Hold back with your other two free players and wait for him to advance. Then show us the issue from there.

Let's try this again. I managed to wrest the ball from them and score. Unfortunately, a bad kick-off gave them the ball almost at midfield, and here's the scenario. My move, the Bretonnians are advancing the ball down the left side. How should I tackle this situation?

Derp

Move everyone to the right as far left as possible. Mainly focusing center field.

Mid and left field should set up a two layered screen. Two blitzers one square in front of enemy blitzer and blocker.

Two catchers set up behind your blitzers.

Center field blitzer fall back 3 squares to mid field as lineback. Wait for carrier to expose himself then mark with one player and blitz with center blitzer.

Can you draw it so I can be certain I'm doing it right?

just an fyi: c cycles camera angles, ctrl cycles overlays

Sadly im on my phone but dont worry the AI tends to try a break off. So long as you have two blitzers center back field you are gold.

Before moving the blitzer you currently have selected, move the lineman to the left of him. He can run diagonally behind the three players just in front of him to come through that gap and stand in the square NW of the ball carrier, so that he isn't touching the player in contact with the Ogre, with one GFI roll (a 2+ on a d6).

Then, your blitzer can come straight in to either of the squares ahead of him that are overlapping with 3 tackle zones for a blitz action and 2 dice for the block. I'd recommend making the hit from the eastern space of the two I'm talking about (SE of the carrier), so that if the carrier goes down, the ball is less likely to land near opposing players.

All this is assuming none of the other players (besides the carrier himself) who your blitzer will be touching when he makes the blitz have Guard.

And on offense, how should I attack this? Going to sleep, will check in in the AM

Whoops.

I'm too tired for this shit...

Set up 2 blitzers at front with assists for 2d blocks on both on either side. 2 blitzers back with your thrower. Grind your way up and score protecting your carrier with two blitzers.

I got a one day tournament coming up next month or so. I am split between vampires or chaos. I have been saying for a few years I would give Chaos the spotlight but recently fallen for Vamps in a twist of weird despairing masochism and the outragous BS they can sometimes pull.

Who should I go for?

Rules are non ressurection, 1000 tv and 3 games.

For one game we can take a star for free.

Would those models be a good way to expand the core box teams?

Doesnt look like it has 2 blorcs and blitzers sadly.

Just played my first couple games. This thing is really fun, and I don't even play tabletop wargames. Any guide for getting into multiplayer?

No, he was being a whiny little bitch crying about a play not going his way. It happens, it's part of the game, and the only response to that sort of behavior is to tell him to get fucked.

bbtactics.com/strategy/articles/

For you senpai.

Also start learning game as orcs. Best beginner friendly team.

Please help

im guessing regular bloodbowl minis can be used for this, at least I'm hoping so.

Looks like regular bloodbowl minis on the picture, so probably. Will definitely get the boxset for the pitch and rules.