How do you feel about fantasy settings with "mortal" characters who can defeat entire armies by themselves?

How do you feel about fantasy settings with "mortal" characters who can defeat entire armies by themselves?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k7Z8r8p17LU
youtube.com/watch?v=cvR_69bjcqE
youtu.be/HEJOndNyBbE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Pretty badass if done right.

He should have won, fuck the Pandavas.

What does "done right" mean tho?

Not done wrong.

It could mean multiple things. There's often a few ways to do something, after all.

When I think of this I think of the Ulster Cycle or the Mahabharata though. It's harder to do in a visual medium because the weird high-concept weapons and fighting powers involved are hard to show in that way as anything but big explosions and the like.

Seems fine to me.

Look up the ulster cycle, specifically my boy Cu.

youtube.com/watch?v=k7Z8r8p17LU

youtube.com/watch?v=cvR_69bjcqE

China has the best hordes of faceless mooks.

Why is mortal in quotes? Killing ability should have little to do with life span.

I love it, but I just wish there are settings that take it into account. Shouldn't armies, tactics, and strategies look different if there are one-men armies walking about?

Depends how they do it. In a high magic setting it wouldn't be ridiculous for a mortal to vape entire armies with firestorm and shit. In low fantasy it can be done as well, see Mulan.

I'm fine with "Mortals" managing it, so long as they're likely to die of old age some day.

Sounds no different than any Indo-European mythology or fiction. Achilles was mortal but was still a rape train, Ajax was mortal and not supported by gods and he was only second to Achilles, Arjuna in the Mahabharata was able to slaughter entire armies and even he was second to a lower caste archer (until he cut off his own thumbs), and while Beowulf never slew entire armies he did slay beasts capable of killing dozens or hundreds of men without difficulty.

Outside of Indo-European cultures the Bible/Torah has the story of Samson who slew like a thousand Philistines with the jaw of an ass, but I'm not sure of any stories or myths outside of that that involve mortals taking on entire armies, mostly because I am ignorant of those mythologies.

It should be welcomed, encouraged and mechanically supported in relevant table top games.

Sauce please

My paladin once knocked out a small army of kobolds
If that counts for anything

It's how martial characters should work in high fantasy settings.

The Strange Talent of Luther Strode

I love Dynasty Warriors.

Thank you.

Say that to Scathatch, who was such a good fighter she gained immortality because the god death couldn't touch her.

That's not present in mythology. It's something made up for Fate.

Well shit, seems I'm getting real world stories mixed up with anime world ones.

Setting of Luther Strode would be perfect for such a thing.

you mean like real life? pushing a bomb isn't hard nowadays.

"Mortal" only means either being able to age out or be killed. In many mythological settings, even the Gods were "mortal" if powerful enough beings rose to kill them.

In the 'on the pathway to becoming a legend' sort of way.

The wise man can defeat armies without ever raising a weapon.

I never liked how Dassem Ultor was actually the Seguleh First the entire time.

It always felt like a cop out.

Weak af.
Try this, lots of cuts tough.
youtu.be/HEJOndNyBbE

Maybe, but I'm totally stealing that. When high-level PCs die they gain the right to challenge Death in single combat in order to survive.

IIRC he wasn't the First the entire time, the Seguleh made him for some reason in Darujhistan.