Dinosaurs in Veeky Forums

How do you incorporate dinosaurs in your settings, campaigns, writing, etc.?

And if you haven't done so yet.

How would you incorporate dinosaurs?

Other urls found in this thread:

coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2018/02/osr-fossil-dinosaurs.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Well it depends what world you want. I once ran a Dinotopia knockoff game where Dino Knights were a thing. Picture Related.

Liberally and without any real consideration for their place in the ecology.

Y'know, like a real man?

Here are three nice monstrous dinosaurs for you.

Chasmognathis Horrendium, the biggest tyrannosaur dinosaur to have ever lived, it had four rows of teeth and had the biggest, strongest mouth of all tyrannosaurs. Its name means "Chasm-mouthed Horror".

Amphicoelius Gigantica, the biggest sauropod to have yet lived, it preyed on trees by simply walking around, as it was so heavy it's steps caused weak trees to immediately fall. Its neck was over 100 feet long and its body was 3/4ths the length of it's neck. Its name means something similar to 'extremely big'.

Velocitosaurus Cornu, a 7 foot long raptor with a 3 foot long unicorn style horn, it's name means 'very-fast-dinosaur with horn'. Its top speed was about twice that of a cheetah and it was very long and very narrow.

FEATHERS

Yes, please.

Dinosaurs are my particular brand of autism, please question me for any of your dinosaur-related needs.

The fun thing about prehistoric environments is that they're basically one-half hard science and one-half informed speculative worldbuilding. Paleontology as a science is very Veeky Forums.

like that :

I bring Cadillacs into the setting first.

what's your least favorite dinosaur

I can't think of any I actively dislike, but the title of "worst nonavian dinosaur" would have to go to the quintessential alvarezsaurid, Shuvuuia deserti. I mean, just look at this stupid asshole.

Fierce predator of the Cretaceous? Nope, it isn't five pounds soaking wet. Thought T. rex's little two-fingered arms were silly? Well, this little shit decided to top that by having one finger on each arm. How do you pronounce its stupid too-many-vowels name? Science is still working on it.

I can jibe with that.

Rough setting idea: full on time warp.

Chronological setting is Late Jurassic Colorado. Lots of classic non-feathery dinosaurs and fan favorites like Stegosaurus....

...Tech level is 1860's-70's. Single action revolvers, lever-action Winchesters and buffalo rifles in frontier towns...

...With automobiles from the 1960's-70's and earlier. Pontiac GTOs, Ford Falcons, Oldsmobile 88's.

Just you, the open road, your Colt six-shooter, and hey look an Apatosaurus.

Classic Americana from every time period.

What kind of personalities and governments could you attach to Dinosaur folks?

I wouldn't use Dinosaurus folk, to have reskined humans I use humans.

Chaotic Neutral druidic circles that reanimate them from fossils for shit and giggles. I'm playing one of those druids.

Besides T-rex, what's another large theropod you like incorporating in your setting Veeky Forums?

Personally, I always liked Acrocanthosaurus. Big, beefy carnivore with a muscular sail on its back.

I have both actual dinosaurs and fake ones that i make

Mind posting your homebrews?

The problem with T. rex and similar predators is that it's just too big and powerful, and it's hard to scale down. Either it's snatching people up with one bite or it loses some of the magic.

So having a smaller equivalent that can actually be fought by mortals is a good move.

These things can make a good man-eater while still being fightable, if you make them proper quadrupedal ground hunters instead of giant reptile birds.

Also I'm a big proponent of scientific accuracy in their own setting but if you're sticking dinosaurs in a fantasy setting where they have to compete with dragons and shit, then feel free to just go full fantasy on a motherfucker.

Carcharadontosaurus, and Giganotosaurus.

Spinosaurus is another good pick, because it drops the "functionally a T. rex but with a different name for contrarianism" and instead is a different monster entirely, being a 60-foot death hippo with crocodile jaws.

As far as dinosaur folks go, even if your setting is going with the outdated 80's style "classic" dinosaurs, if you make "dinosaur people" based on them they're just going to be lizardfolk which is nothing interesting.

"Flightless bird people" is the way to go. Give them a personality like crows- super inquisitive, a little bit kleptomanic, they don't mean you harm but if you have a thing they want they will try to get that thing.

From left to right;
Homo sapiens, Microraptor, Scutellosaurus, Kulindadromeus, Huaxiagnathus, Montanazhdarcho, Velociraptor, Fukuivenator, Irritator, Protoceratops, Unenlagia, Deinonychus, Sarahsaurus, Siamosaurus, Pachycephalosaurus, Falcarius, Baryonyx, Dilophosaurus, Marshosaurus, Brontosaurus, Alioramus, Eustreptospondylus, Suchomimus, Utahraptor, Archelon, Miragaia, Stegosaurus, Barosaurus, Shantungosaurus, Megalosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Ichthyoveator, Dreadnoughtus, Styracosaurus, Yutyrannus, Siats, Regaliceratops, Acrocanthosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Huabeisaurus, Spinosaurus, Kronosaurus, Astrodon, Lusotitan, Ouranosaurus, Triceratops, Deinocheirus, Giraffatitan, Therizinosaurus

I put them in and make them eat stuff, possibly the pcs

What is the most humanoid-like dinosaur you know of? I'm looking for something you could convert into a playable-or-at-least-NPC race without too much hassle and without it being too unrealistic.
I don't need opposable thumbs or anything, just something bipedal.

>I don't need opposable thumbs or anything, just something bipedal.
Do you mean just bipedal, or upright?

If the former, I'd point to something like . That's what a sapient dinosaur would most likely look like. Dinosaurs are built for bipedal locomotion along a central balance point, hence their long, stiff counterbalance tails, so "humanoid" posture doesn't really agree with them.

Still, if you want something with more recognizably humanoid characteristics- a shorter face instead of a long snout, and a somewhat upright posture, caegnathids like Oviraptor and Citipati are your best bet.

Therizinosaurs have the most potential for upright posture among the dinosaurs but thanks to their large size and huge-ass claws it's hard to see them as "humanoid." Still, might work for an ent-like race, giant and potentially deadly but friendly herbivorous gentle giants.

There's lots of ways to go. Anons have said many of them, but you could even have them as optional mounts in a biodome space station.

Made up.

Hopefully with dinosaurs less shit than theirs, though.

I mean, I can agree with that sentiment somewhat. Especially on Aberration where they WON'T STOP WANDERING OFF CLIFFS

glorantha has them as young dragons who got entangled in the material world

I meant in terms of visual design, where I find they are pretty lacking. If you're going to double down on scientific inaccuracy then at least make them look good.

I mean, take a look at this sad 90's dollar store toy....

...Compared to sexy Chad Stegosaurus.

My man, too often dinosaurs look like some boring bag of grey and brown colours.

Amen, olive drab lizard monsters in olive drab jungles are all played out.

Beware! Tryannosaurus-Chad comin' through

On the subject, this is Sinosauropteryx, the only dinosaur whose coloration we actually know anything about thanks to fossilized pigment structures preserved in its feathers.

We use brontosaurus around here, bub

Truth be told, I tend to use Monster Hunter dragons and other minor beast downscaled, also lots of paleo fauna, not only Dinos.

They're separate genera now, so no need to choose.
Here's the companion chart to , all still denizens of the Western United States in the same time period.

Diplodocus is the thinking man's choice, anyway.

Can foreigners bring their own ?
Also did you know that archeopteryx was found in central europa ?
Now germans made the Car, printing press and birds.

Cute!

Europe was mostly underwater at the time. Germany was an archipelago, pic related and both depict the Solnhofen Formation where Archaeopteryx is found.

Why have your dinosaurs compete with your dragons when you can combine them?

>Besides T-rex, what's another large theropod you like incorporating in your setting Veeky Forums?

Carnotaurs are one, but my underdog favorite would have to be Cerotosaurus.
What I like about Cerotsaurus is how.. uninspired they look: literally just a smaller t-rex with a horn on it's snout, it feels like the most generic non-existant dinosaur ever, as if it were a child's drawing or a dollar store toy come to life and I love it.

Allosaurus and Baryonyx are also pretty neat.

That 4th from the top looks pretty fucking boss.

I'm a big fan of the Triceratops and the top row giant Sharovipteryx. I find "fuck y'all dragons my wings are on my back legs instead" delightful.

>party is crossing a river in a jungle with a shitty boat
>drop one of these bad boys on them

My thinking exactly. River travel is way underutilized in fantasy anyway, and the river systems Spinosaurus is from were huge, and rich enough to be worth dealing with for human society even considering the great white-sized freshwater fish, thiry-foot crocodiles and 15-ton carnivorous death hippos that lived there.

God, the next game i want to run is supposed to be a Sailing campaign with inland travel from time to time.
Think basically of bronze age one-piece.
And river travel is underutilized, it's suprisingtly fast but also most tactics that work on land and in dungions aren't worth anything while you are on a little boat.
Also the mage can't just fireball his way out of every problem.

Sorry if i didin't post sooner but here he is, i'm posting this one cause its one of the few with an actual description (i rarely write down my own shit)
Anyway
>Magneosaurus Extinctor(yeah i know it's cheesy as hell but its pretty fitting):A nefarious theropod that stalks virtually every part of the world thanks to it's extremely high adaptability, it is over 90ft in lenght and looks somewhat like the fucked up lovechild of a spinosaurus and an acrocanthosaurus with a bit of ceratosaurus in there, It's jaws are quite crocodile-like in shape and thus it's main tactic with smaller prey is to simply bite it and shake it around like a croc, otherwise it holds larger prey still with its jaws while trying to rip it apart with its it's serrated claws and powerful arms.
When threatened it starts severely drooling a sticky liquid from it's mouth that explodes when struck by it's teeth/claws, the creature is seemingly immune to these explosions thanks to it's now adapted scales.
Magneosauruses do not take care of their young or build any sort of nest thanks to their nomadic nature but rather lay eggs in a reasonably hidden spot and leave them on their own, the newborn is already self sufficent when its out of the egg and gradually hunts larger prey as it grows
It's still a work in progress

>nothin personel landlet

I once tried to run a one-shot in savage worlds where the players were sent to Isla Sorna to stop a group of people trying to steal eggs/capture dinos. Basically The Lost World. Didn't really happen though for a variety of reasons, but seems like it could be a fun game.

As a heads up, for scientific names only the genus is capitalized, the species name is always lowercase, also the whole thing is italicized, but thats not really a thing here

Chasmognathis horrendium
Amphicoelius gigantica
Velocitosaurus cornu
Magneosaurus extinctor

Well now i feel dumb

Of course, but still cool.

Incidentally though Amphicoelieous wasn't exactly ~made up~ per se, bones of it have been found, they just didn't survive because it was 18 something when they were found.

And once you get out to sea, things don't get much better....

If you were going to do a primarily humans-and-prehistoric-animals setting rather than stick some dinosaurs in a fantasy setting, having a party with a boat capable of sea and river travel might be the best way to do it. Fast travel without having to make your way through forests filled with big predators, always something to run back to and escape if you're being chased... but you never know what's under the water, either.

Also Amphicoelias was only ever known from a couple of bones even when we had the remains, which size estimates like being guesses based on proportions.

So let me get this straight... Dinosaurs AND Cadillacs?

It'll never work. Next thing you'll be talking about Indians fighting dinosaurs...

Or worse, Indians fighting dinosaurs in a sciFi setting.

I use fossil dinosaurs. They're trapped in the walls. coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2018/02/osr-fossil-dinosaurs.html

Goddamn, thats stupid.

At least no one made any hippy bullshit propaganda about a dinosaur-human utopia, amirite?

Dinosaurs can't even get along with each other, let alone humans.

This works really well from a "humans as PCs" perspective because a hot loaded .45-70 out of a Marlin 1895 (lever gun) or equivalently well built rifle will one-shot any dinosaur that ever lived with proper shot placement. Regular loaded .45-70 out of a Springfield Trapdoor (US Army's single shot standard issue rifle of the time) might take a few shots. Revolvers and revolver caliber leverguns will do for humans up through medium sized dinosaurs, like your Winchesters and Henrys and Colts.

Rex dies to one shot from a .45-70 like Owen had in Jurassic World.

I ran a weird west style campaign where dinosaurs were resurrected through wildcatting (early oil drilling). They came back as dinosaur shaped blobs of crude first, many of the long time wildcatters were scaly and malformed as they had taken on dinosaur characteristics, and then eventually after eating enough fauna the oilsaurs became full on biological recreations.

*inarticulate screaming*

>At least no one made any hippy bullshit propaganda about a dinosaur-human utopia, amirite?

Here you are, shitting up a thread with your crazy ideas. What would you even call that mess, Utopasaurus? Thats retarded.

Look how good of a mount so many of those would make. God was so good to us 5000 years ago with all those fun things to ride, then we had to ruin it, get Flooded, and now stuck with horses and an occasional elephant.

Depending on your shot placement, you're not wrong. But I wouldn't be especially confident in stopping a charging grizzly bear with a .45-70, so I definitely wouldn't be too eager to try it on an animal forty times the weight.

I was thinking in pre-gunpowder terms, though, in which case a tyrannosaur is the equivalent of a great white shark underwater. You might be able to make it reconsider eating you if you stick a spear between you and it, but if it really wants you dead there's not a whole lot you could do to prevent it.

.45-70, 12ga slugs, and .30-06 are used by Alaskans as primary bear defense guns. You're not going to see much improvement short of an HMG.

I'll take the HMG, please. Grizzlies get up to 800lbs and relying on a rifle for defense against them is risky. There's a reason bear spray is considered the better choice in practice, because it's much easier to spray something in a general direction than it is to ready a rifle and fire a shot to a vital area on an animal moving very fast in a high-stress scenario before it reaches you.

25,000lbs would be considered a conservative estimate for an adult Tyrannosaurus. That's a very dangerous game to be playing.

They're also overgrown birds. Their vital targets are way larger and less heavily armored than a grizzly's.

That's pretty untrue. Dinosaur bones are pneumatic but have much higher density than mammals' to compensate, not to mention the sheer mass of both the body in general and the bones themselves, especially the skull, which is obviously many times thicker than a bear's and in normal posture blocks all the vital organs from the front, not just the brain. Plus there's the scapula bones protecting the chest from the front.

There's a reason even elephants today require specialized large calibers for defense against.

This

Goddamn I fucking laughed like a retard at this. 10/10

>How do you incorporate dinosaurs in your settings, campaigns, writing, etc.?
Time travel
Hollow Earth/ Land that time forgot
Fantasy setting that includes Dinosaurs

Sold. Where's the sign up sheet? Are c-classes offered at night, too?

Pictured: a floofy bird monster bigger than a polar bear.