>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/21Whc22e

>Previously, on /5eg/
What is your favourite non-optimal combo?

Other urls found in this thread:

trwolfe13.github.io/tiyl/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Battlemaster!Fighter/Kensai!Monk

Is there a better "This is your life" table? one that take into account more than just your charisma?

Goblin Assassin with a Goliath Barbarian

I want to make a homage to Pinocchio as an NPC. A clever, slightly misdirected puppet with the mind of a young boy and ultimately has a good heart. I was thinking of using the CR 1 Animated Armor statblock as a baseline and altering from there:
>Higher mental stats, slightly lowered physical ones
>Size is now Small
>Remove Charmed/Frightened status immunity, remove Psychic damage immunity
>Replace Blindsight with regular vision
>Some property to represent his nose growing when he lies

how does /5eg/ feel about dungeonesque?

How different would 5E combat be if advantage and disadvantage could stack?

If you are going to make advantage and disadvantage stack, you might as well go back to using modifers

Why not use the stats for Pidlwick II?

Lets continue with the character concept reviews.
>Archfey patron warlock elf
>all warlocks of this patron are under the effects of his powerful charms
>compelled to walk across the world gathering magic artifacts to help build up their patron's power
>character is relatively emotionless and seen as a wandering mystic/weirdo

>an elf archfey warlock
>played emotionless

Jeez...

we doing this character thing?

>abandoned by his very much alive parents [one of which is also a character of mine]
>winds up a loser street thug with a demon motif so as to look more scary.
>ends up in a life threatening situation, begs for his life, saying he'll be good from now on if someone just saves him
>Tymora: "ok"
>waitwhat
>becomes a trickery cleric for Tymora, keeps doing gangster shit as long as he does it for the benefit of others
>energetic, upbeat and childish, despite being raised on the streets.
>loves honey

Pic related

You'd get something like Shadows of the Demon Lord where banes and boons stack, but cancel each other out. Of course, that game has you rolling d6 dice for each bane/boon you have and subtracting or adding the highest number rolled accordingly.
In 5e I think it would result in a lot of begging for more advantages.
>B-but the sun was in his eyes!
>I was grimacing at him all scary-like! He should be intimidated!
>My rogue is suuuper tricky so he should get a free advantage like all the time! That should be like two advantages!

What are yall's experience with randomised characters? I made a PDF to randomise 90% of character creation.

Battlemaster Fighter/Arcane Trickster whip wielder.

Holy shit, I'm having so much fucking fun.

Any sort of Gnome martial for that fat advantage on mental saves.

trwolfe13.github.io/tiyl/

Pretty well to be honest. I do hope someone makes expansions to all of the tables for each class and the "This is Your Life" section of XGtE. More options is always good.

>What is your favorite non-optimal combo?

I keep being told that Swashbuckler/Battle Master is not optimal, so I guess that because my goodness I have too much fun with it.

Wish they'd fucking hurry up with making a decent Artificer instead of just ripping content out the DMG.

WOTC don't like working though.

Favorite Plane to play in and why? Trying to spice things up

Nice. I'd like to play something like that if I'm ever not DM, but with Swashbuckler instead of AT.

No one will ever say beastlands.

Arcane Trickster works better with my playstyle. I'm focused entirely on harrying enemies with trip/disarm/distract/menace attacks and the occasional spell to fuck with foes.

Battle Master/Rogue confirmed most fun multiclass.

Which is such a great fucking system, edge aside. Met and played with the creator, cool guy.

They don't know how, you realize they lost all the original designers of the PHB right? the people left working on 5e are mostly contractors and Crawford whose experience prior is 5e was writing a fantasy heartbreaker.

Especially if you take Martial Adept for that extra die. Makes all the difference in the world.

Battlemaster is fun. Too bad a horde of brainlets convinced WotC to put superiority dice on one archetype and not the whole Fighter class.

I didn't realise this.
Got a source? Because if this is true 5e's pretty much fucked IMO.

I once had a player who's ranger died. His brother (another player who was a barbarian) wanted to commune with him to say his peace so he found a shaman as a conduit.

Got to describe a really touching scene where the ranger was in the Beastlands and had already started to drift and take on his spirit animal traits (elk). They met briefly and shared some words of wisdom. Shit was so cash.

Do you use minis and grids? If so, what's your favourite mini you own?

Good thing you didn't have the sort of group that would scream "furfag".

>Swashbuckler/Battle Master
It's really fun user. High Charisma skills, Riposte (Second Sneak Attack), Precise Attack/Feinting Attack, and Menacing Attack. Get Sentinel (Second Sneak Attack) and it feels pretty perfect.

If there was a magic item/feat/class that gave multiple reactions I'd get that ASAP, but that does not exist...

Hm, I never considered that feat mainly due to the majority of my maneuver dice being used for Feinting or Riposting. What did you pick up with the feat?

Arcane Trickster is a lot of fun, especially with the Bladesinger cantrips. It's one of the few PC classes I've had a chance to play.

there are OTHER planes?

It was on Monte's live journal, but it seems to have been deleted.

But basically Cordell, Schwalb and Monte were behind 5e and wrote a vast majority of the rules that went into the PhB, all of them quit.

And ironically somebody already mentioned what one of them went on the make in this thread

My current group is getting frustrating. The DM is awesome and manages to pull in groups of 6-8 people on a weekly basis and they are all really good players.
When they are paying attention. Most of them insist on having their god damn laptops out in front of them at the table 90% of the time. It eats up tablespace and half the time the DM has to fight them in order to get the battlemap down on the table.
And he tries his hardest to get people invested but half of them have their noses in their computers and aren't paying attention so we'll be knee deep in bad stuff and someone will speak up and be like "Wait we're in combat?? When did this happen?"

There is this poor newbie who showed up five minutes late to the last session and he had to fight for a spot at the far point of the table. Then got harangued for not paying attention twenty minutes later by the dude playing Star Wars on his laptop.

Yes I get that you can have your characters on your laptop and not on paper, but space at the table is a premium and it really kills the atmosphere when 70% of the table space is taken up by shit not relevant to the game.

Oh, that's disappointing since SOTDL looks like absolute shit.

I mainly got it for the extra superiority die and to pick up Menacing Attack. So my maneuvers are Trip, Disarm, Distract and Menace. I only went to BM 5.

I've been using Lightning Lure to help with battlefield control and Green Flame Blade once I'm out of superiority die.

Monte left wayyyyy before the release, so he could have the time to set up the long con that is Numenera. I don't think he contributed anything substantial, in the column they gave him (briefly) during the playtest he was mostly rehashing old stuff as if it were his ideas.

Then we're fucked because M&C can't design for shit

>players with laptops

What the actual fuck? Fine if the DM is using one but there's literally no reason for a player to have one. If they want to have a digital character sheet they can use their smartphones for fuck sake.

>Playing with laptops open

Currently playing a Hexblade. I've been working with and training with some skilled mundane-martials for several sessions now, and I'm tempted to take a 1-level Fighter dip. Picking up some fighting talent not granted by my patron in a different martial style, and on the mechanical side I'd get a fighting style and Second Wind; no other healing source do that's nice, at least. Is the one level dip worthwhile? Would 2 be better?

>I only went to BM 5.
5 is quite a bit! I usually stick to 3 only because when I'm playing a Rogue I want the Sneak Attack dice more than the extra attack, but If I did go 5 I would usually get Trip, Riposte, Menacing. Sentinel is a must have for these guys if there are other melee folks in your party I also like Magic Initiate if you don't take 5 levels as you can get Booming Blade, Green Flame Blade, and Find Familiar.

Don't water down spell and feat progression.
Just get GWM and use darkness+devils sight for permanent advantage.

2 levels in Paladin my man.

Emotionless is the wrong word, more like "entranced" or distant

I wanted the ASI and Extra Attack. It boosted my damage enough that I doubt I'll miss the 1d6 I would've gained from only going to 3.

>so he could have the time to set up the long con that is Numenera
Actually he quit because they lied to him, when they hired him they said they'd be "reestablishing ties with the old guard" and "beefing up the in-house staff", they did the exact opposite and hired extremely inexperienced nobodies, outsourced everything and made everything extremely political (office-wise).

>What is your favourite non-optimal combo?

War Cleric/Battlemaster is really fun

You get to add up to 5 new cards to the Deck of Many Things.
Share what your additions would be.
Would you be benevolent, malevolent, or somewhere in between?

I enjoyed playing a *gasp* transmutation wizard. I think my most damaging spell was witch bolt. But I was a tinkering gnome, and I ended up doing a lot with our airship's mechanics (i.e. stealing the enemy's airship in the first place).

Character's ultimate goal was to instill actual life into his tinkered creations. Campaign ended up shaping into the creation of the Warforged.

Yeah, I noticed that some of the guys (notably Chris Perkins) going on more and more political rants as of late.

What are some unique and interesting cursed items I can throw at my players? They're about to start getting a ton of loot and I want to throw a curve ball at them first to keep them on their toes.

Well just ban the laptops. It makes no sense to have laptops if you need the space for a battlemap. The DM decides the rules in the end, he should tell them in advance not to bring laptops so they can print out/copy their char sheets on paper and you simply don't let people play if they don't comply.

Lots of people prefer to have their charsheets on a laptop instead of constantly erasing stuff on paper. In my group it works well, we don't use battlemaps and only a couple of players use laptops and they stay focused on the game anyways. If there isn't enough space though, the laptops go away, only the DM can keep his as he has most of his notes on there for quicker reference.

That's fair, I am curious though why you did never pick up Riposte or Sentinel?

I considered it, but my patron isn't one to share with a deity. Or, uh, much of anyone.
>Darkness + devil sight
On one hand, incredibly cheesy. On the other hand, invalidates an important element of dungeon design and the reason I played a normal human. Don't think so.

Show me, I need a good laugh.

I saw that one! It's really neat, tho mine has tables for subrace and subclass ;)

How would a warlock/bard work if I wanted to build a Frontline support character? My idea is that he's a scholar of the occult helping the party take down these evil cultists (PotA) and I was thinking I could work him in as a Harper agent to give him a solid reason for being in the area. What do you lads think?

>playing normal human
Oh I'm so impressed, picking something none optimal to stick it to those minmaxers.

A card that makes the whole deck disappear. A card that lowers a random ability score by 5 and raises another by 5. A card that gives you the ability to bestow a boon on another creature.

An item that, when equipped, turns your natural 20 throws into such extreme successes that they are detrimental to you in some way. "I punch this dude to get answers from him", roll 20, "you punch him unconscious" or even more extreme "you tear his head off with your punch". I made mine have a very high DC for identification so they didn't know what it did, only the wizard felt a very powerful fey magic within it.

Just this past month

Kind of new here. Didn’t know you can only post one image at a time. Here you go

That's hardly polirical, all he's saying is he didn't vote for Trump.
I was expecting some tumblr tier SJW rant on inclusivity like Mearls did.

Riposte doesn't fit with the fighting style of my character (she uses a whip and her maneuvers to keep enemies off-guard so everyone else can fuck shit up) and I'm taking Sentinel w/ my next ASI since I'm at 20 DEX and INT now.

Theses are fucking shit, at least post the Mearls one where he accidentally called feminists and women stupid claiming they couldn't read or do basic maths.

This ain't that bad.
When he starts going on rants about gatekeeping and "firing" everyone who plays DnD then I'll care.
All he's doing is mocking Trump, which is understandable since he's a fucking joke.

>This is the kind of thing that triggers conservatives
Fucking kek

Nah, I just didn't think a different race would make the character more narratively interesting and it's been a while since I've been in a party with no Darkvision whatsoever. Not like I took Variant human.

Does Mearls actually run the company now, or at least the D&D branch of Wizards of the Coast?

If you're playing Human you pick variant unless you want to genuinely gimp yourself.

A card that turns the person who drew it into a card modeled after them. Drawing that card causes them to switch places with the person who drew it. Ad infinitum.

Ah, I see. Sounds fun! I might have to try using a whip one day. A lot of my characters are open to trying out new things.

He went from lead developer to creative manager.
Honestly sounds more like a demotion than a promotion.

>2 tweets
>9 words
>"political rant"
Go outside, kid.

Too bad, I picked normal. Back to the original question. Is one level of Fighter a net positive or negative, keeping in mind I'm not after absolute maximum power?

Whips are very dependent on superiority die, so keep that in mind. Rogue also makes it better since your Sneak Attack will offset the lower damage die compared to the "ideal" finesse weapons.

>"firing" everyone who plays DnD
???
What.

Mearls doesn't like gatekeepers. This made gatekeepers mad.

>This is what triggers r/thedonald(nu/pol/)
He said he's new here so putting two and two together he's Reddit and those idiots are triggered by everything.

Political how?

>This made gatekeepers mad
Funnily enough the only people I saw mad about this were the OSR feminists on Google Plus.

He's an "idea guy" as in "has no fucking clue what he's doing but has a lot of really cool ideas guise!"

Meh it upset both sides, he caught flak for poor wording which is the only offensive thing in that tweet.

You can have the virtual sheets on smartphones or tablets, without needing to play behind a screen even at the same table like an autismo.

problem is his ideas are shit too.
See Hexblade, Lore Master, Brute, Inventor, Oath of Treachery, Acrobat rogue, Giant Soul Sorcerer.

This is extra hilarious to me as we have a mystic organization of psionic assholes called the Gatekeepers.

That's the best part, most idea guys suck at that job as well.

Get a load of this berk

Being an ideas guy only works if you're filthy rich.
See Elon Musk.

Idk Mearls seems to be pulling it off pretty well, just look at some of his rulings and classes he designed on stream.

It's an ingenious way to defend yourself from having to do any real work, I'll give him that.

How do you find new players IRL?

I want to try DMing but most people in my group are really busy and can't play more than our regular weekly session. I'd prefer playing with people who aren't experienced with RPGs but I'm not sure how/where to recruit some. I asked some of my friends but most weren't interested and I had schedule conflicts with those who were.

His rulings and classes are shit.

How do I play an idol like pic related /5eg/?

Idols don't work in any sensible cultures.