/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
theonyxpath.com/canis-minor-is-now-active/
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/deluxe-wraith-the-oblivion-20th-anniversary-editio/posts/2110993
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/strange-aeons-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
I can't think of one, so I'll just repeat an old one that didn't get answered. What are some interesting ways to incorporate the (oWoD) Arcanum into games? Mage and Hunter are both obviously welcome given the subject matter, but feel free to offer ideas for any of the gamelines as well: I know V20 touches on the organization briefly.
>New Geist preview
theonyxpath.com/the-doors-of-death-geist-the-sin-eaters/
>New Deviant preview
theonyxpath.com/variations-on-a-theme/
>General Creation Kit
mega.nz/#F!FWJgBTbb!f7d5rARWHYzuI8-8aI-Bxw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2N2cLxr5kNk?t=17m16s
mega.nz/#!BKxmzToK!rg7sKP46gZAh13R-iBz9d6HAYIPW7xYH5K6nBh5ylsw
wuxiaworld.com/general-glossary-of-terms/
discord.me/cwod
discord.me/cofd
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You've been waiting for your moment to use an OP picture this stupid, haven't you?

Let me guess, you want to discuss your Princess character?

It's been in the General Creation Kit for a long time and has been used at least a couple times in the past. If you have a problem with it maybe you should just go back to /r/WhiteWolfRPG/ instead of whining about cartoons on a Mongolian shitposting forum's playing-pretend board.

>It was done before, so clearly it is okay right?
No, stop that.

Mage is fine for anything magical girl related.

If you were aiming to add a little flavor variety to nMage to avoid everyone harping on about "Atlantis" what are some names/places you'd use in relation to the magic civilization before the fall?

Stuff like Hyperboria, Shambhala, Avalon, or Babel.

Probably have an Avalon and a Camelot, a High Mythic Age and some kind of Singularity utopia (like that which is suggested for Technocrats who awaken in nwod fluff) too, some "Atlantises" would be ordered into the future, even though their position in relation to the mundane timeline is academic at best.

Umineko's basically a Mage visual novel desu.
youtu.be/2N2cLxr5kNk?t=17m16s

Cool, may have to check it out. Can't be as bad as the first Veeky Forums recommend VN I saw

What was the first Veeky Forums recommended VN you saw? I'm morbidly curious now.

Also, I like "The Singularity" for technomages in general, and "The Eschaton" for more mystical mages, especially Obrimoi.

May refer to more (for example, I need to look up what the Syndicate style mages call their utopian marketplace, but they hearken to a future where mankind will be freed of the tyranny of taxes, poorfags, and worst of all, ROADS)

Violent Semen Inferno (Inferno, presumably, as in a metaphorical Dante's Inferno of suffering, not fire related). The second was Saya No Uta, which made me an Urobuchi enthusiast in general.

>Violent Semen Inferno
I have no idea what that is, but it already sounds hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

>Urobuchi enthusiast
Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well.

It is worth talking about, because it can even work as a nice plot hook in a modern day game as well. Though it is a ton harder to introduce new concepts to reality in this way.

Like, you could have a whole game where suddenly there is another intelligent race on Earth, but there always has been. The PCs trying to shake off the strange sensation that something is wrong. If they are Mages or Demons, they will probably dig deep to try to figure out what is causing this intense change to reality, and possibly root it out.

Of course, high stakes games like that tend to be a little difficult to run.

Do you allow groups like Raveners and Red Talons as playable options at your table?

What level of Wisdom is sacrificing an animal for mana a sin against? Can I mitigate it by also eating the animal? Why doesn't 2e have a dot by dot Wisdom sins breakdown like 1e did anyway?

>Do you allow groups like Raveners
Yes, why not? The Raveners were right, Creation has always been a shitfest from the moment Caine killed Abel and it deserves to be Unmade; at best you could have the Faustians that follow Belphigor and don't give shit about mortals enslave these Faith-batteries so they can rewrite the cosmos more to their liking

Everyone kept telling the devs they hated it.

So they got rid of it.

Pretty straightforward.

Wraith20 PDF when

Why don't you look through the megas in the pastebin before asking dumb questions?

Regardless of whether they're right or wrong, they're much more destructive in nature and by design than the other groups, and the supernaturals that try to destroy the world are typically presented as villains for the PCs to face off against in most splats (Nephandi, some select Baali, Grandmother/Oblivion, the Wyrm/BSDs, etc.). Destroying human civilization or the greater universe as a whole, no matter how arguably flawed it is, isn't really a goal most PCs aspire to or are compatible with.

I'd say it depends on circumstance, if it's just a single player wanting to play a Ravener out of the entire group then no because he's going to disrupt the story; if you're specifically playing a game where all the players are bad guys quite possibly playing Raveners, some whom have even etertaining becoming Earthbound - trying to Unravel Creation, then it should be interesting

mega.nz/#!BKxmzToK!rg7sKP46gZAh13R-iBz9d6HAYIPW7xYH5K6nBh5ylsw

Makes sense.

How could a werewolf in animal form be confused with a husky?

Would people mock them for this?

Lunacy (in WTF) makes people confuse werewolves for whatever will make the most sense. So if you are in a place where you expect a Husky, or their coat would fit a Husky, then a husky might be an option for their brain to rationalize that they just saw a huge dog fighting a spider-woman.

Since Werewolves are pretty Bro-ish, yes you would indeed be mocked for this. But it isn't exactly their fault.

Dunno about in Forsaken, but...

I'd generally have it so PCs have to be something that would reasonably cooperate. Ideally there should also be a clear authority and pecking order, which greatly damps down on murderhoboing.

Interesting question. My only problem with ameliorating it is that I'm not crazy about the mage being the one to push the button on the blender so the high humanity vampire can have his smoothies. I personally think it should simply be a Legacy Oblation or an Offering yantra.

Bernkastel is my wife.

Well I was just thinking that weird back to the earth yuppies and off the grid prepper types who occasionally kill a backyard chicken for meat presumably aren't making repeated degeneration roles. Probably not people working in slaughterhouses either. Is there something about getting mana out of it that should make it an act of hubris?

On the related subject of things for nameless/apostate mages to do, can prime 2 veiling hide a hallow from detection?

I simply see it like Hard Leverage, its breaking point->result rather than result->breaking point, a vagary of the nwod system encouraging you to put your character in stressful situations.

I don't mind someone who is for whatever reason inured to human sacrifice still getting the mana, since being sacrifice happy with people can always bring consequences, but without the hubris roll the result is inevitable rat/pigeon-based mana reactors.

In fact without the Hubris element a good strategy is to have ratbags ready for fights and other scenarios that require heavy mana use, cast aoes so that you kill the rats at the same time and fill up completely. Hell, its not limited to the usual amount per round.

Of course, presumably the implication is only one at a time, but... every logical explanation of how sacrifice would work makes me think it would definitely be a yantra or oblation. I mean, we're all imagining a dude in a robe shanking someone on an altar for a sacrifice, not simply blowing out an enemy's brains and going "BOOM! Sacrifice!" right?

An alternative: treat it exactly like vampire feeding restrictions, and make sacrificing more of a part in the game. 3+ Gnosis means you can't sacrifice animals anymore.

Which of all the WOD games has the best fluff?

Depends what you mean, and what you want. Use your words, user.

I think user is just trying to be cheeky and start a fight if anyone bites.

Ascension, then Masquerade then Wraith are top 3 oWoD.

>having Ascension and Wraith in your top 3

I like pretty much all the gamelines to be honest. But Ascension and Wraith are my definite favorites, at least when it comes to their basic concepts, which is why I can't help but be bummed that they have the shittiest 20th books. Maybe Wraith'll be better once they've edited it, but I dunno... I wouldn't be surprised if they just crammed all the merits and flaws into a supplement like they did with Book of Secrets.

People gave KotE a lot of shit for being disrespectful to East Asian culture but it's doesn't look as bad after reading this:
wuxiaworld.com/general-glossary-of-terms/

>KotE
Why was anyone expecting anything "respectful" from White Wolf when Ravnos were a thing?

"I have every reason to believe this will be shit."
"As predicted, it is shit."
"Therefore, as it is shit and I believed it'd be shit, I cannot call it shit."

???

I don't see why "respect" is something that matters IRL, just in terms of roleplaying someone who has a delicate heart of spun glass on the internet.

The actual system is fairly interesting.

Doesn't it have like eight different sources of supernatural energy that actively alter your character's behavior and current emotional state based off how they're balanced with one another? And aren't their Beasts basically Wraith Shadows complete with their own specific Nature and all? I won't deny that it has some neat ideas, however, it seems like it'd be a pain in the ass to try and run or play a full chronicle of.

>Raveners dindu nuffin
Imagine being this wrong

its basically, do you wanna be a lively vamp staked by metal and that eats people, or a deathly vamp that eats cold dead people and is staked normally

I don't think the shadow soul can really do much at all, unlike in Wraith.

If it can't do anything is there much of a point to it though? I like it in Wraith where it's carefully woven in (even if Shadowguiding is an understandably hit-and-miss concept) part of the game, but in KotE it seems weird, tacked on, and excessive from what I've read.

its just a kind of frenzy.

And yes its largely excessive.

yin-yang aside, I don't think KotE's special mechanics add much, nor do I think they're particularly complex. They're just sort of there. It's mostly annoying for crossovers and fresh players because they have to learn something new for little gain.

So I'm pretty excited, helped my qt3.14 whip up a new char, and this is gonna be the first time I've got to play a character rather than ST/DM in years besides Only War and Dark Heresy (and I'm not remotely a 40k guy), and first time I've gotten to play with a certain friend of mine in the 6 or so years I've known him, so I'm relatively stoked. I definitely need a break from the stoic objectivity of running games.

what are you playing?

Demon for me, Promethean for her, and Mummy for my friend.

I am sure the guy who hates crossover will shriek, but I don't expect a full party that was forced to take Disquietism or Cover protection stuff to be terribly comfy anyway.

>Prometheans often have trouble with right and wrong. To them, mercy is an alien concept.
>Act: When opposed by someone, neutralize them with excessive force. The Promethean doesn’t necessarily have to kill or even fight.
It could be anything, from punching someone out for spilling a coffee, to screaming at the top of her lungs at someone who is five minutes late to a meeting.

Which are more autistic, prometheans or vampires?

(I posted the wrong image)

Can someone share the Kickstarter Aeon Preview #3? Thanks.

Tell me an uplifting story about woofs, Veeky Forums.

I found out that you don't have to eat a person all in one sitting

>I am sure the guy who hates crossover will shriek
Crossovers are bad, but if you and your group are having fun with it that's really all that matters user.

oWoD i'm a demonfag
CofD i'd say geist

>Bernkastel
for what purpose

Trolling.

Should heightened Senses give a penalty to resisting Rotschreck? Should a torch suddenly being lit trigger Rotschreck?

True heroes of oWoD.

>Woofs
>True heroes of oWoD.

That's not how you spell Technocratic Union.

Woofs in oWOD were nothing but incompetent and bungling eco-terrorists

>Technocracy furthers the will of the Weaver
>Technocracy furthers the will of the Wyrm

>Technocracy provides vaccines and indoor plumbing and protects you from dragons and other reality deviants on Fifth Avenue

>Woofs can't even stop whole tribes from being corrupted and committing genocide against purported allies. There's no need for heroic groups the Technocracy to destroy woofs because they're doing it to themselves.

>2018
>thinking the Weaver did anything wrong

The key element of Rotz is that it is being used in a threatening manner to the vampire. Fire always gets their attention but it never causes Rotz unless it is uncontrolled, aimed at them (even pointing a cig at them aggressively scares them), burns them, etc.

>Lunacy (in WTF) makes people confuse werewolves for whatever will make the most sense. So if you are in a place where you expect a Husky, or their coat would fit a Husky, then a husky might be an option for their brain to rationalize that they just saw a huge dog fighting a spider-woman.
>Since Werewolves are pretty Bro-ish, yes you would indeed be mocked for this. But it isn't exactly their fault.

I was wondering more in W:TA, but that's interesting I guess.

>Do you allow groups like Raveners and Red Talons as playable options at your table?

Would it be funny to tell a Red Talons that you need to take him to the vet to be neutered?
>It's just a prank bro.

Ha, got it before you could ask user

Godammit, I even searched the thread for aeon and trinity and couldn't find anything

Why are they wrong?

Geist's fluff is pretty neat. Still my favorite gameline for the ideas behind it.

The Lasombra revised clanbook has a short story in the very beginning, but the text is written in some horrible font and the the overall quality of the .pdf is questionable. Yet I remember reading this story in some other book. It's about a disabled guy who just had an accident arranged by a Lasombra, in which his parents were killed right in front of him. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Can someone tell me which book has that story as well?

>bad fonts
Fuck me I wish White Wolf never did this shit.

As for the guy, his name is Andrew Emory and he's in Gehenna and all 3 of the Clan Lasombra trilogy books

Huh. I wasn't really expecting anyone to answer me, since I've been asking for the past few months without a reply. Thanks, user.

see, /wodg/ is useful for things othan power wankery, ...sometimes

No worries, user. Now you help me!

Other than Avatar of Fenris, can you post any Spirits with stats exceeding 10?

I have no idea what that means. I'm a complete and utter newb when it comes to these things. I only read splatbooks for the fluff, because I never had a chance to play any of them.

>You spend hours reading into fluff for a setting you love
>You will never get to play in that setting

Hours? Try months. Probably years. I've liked oWoD for a bit over 15 years, I just never had a chance to play with anyone. No, not even online. Every time I tried to find something, they weren't from my timezone. And what sucks is that I know there are people near me (geographically speaking) who do play oWoD, it's just that they have their own cliques formed and don't let outsiders in. So yeah, I stick to reading the fluff, gathering artwork from the .pdfs and occasionally posting here.

are you me

>tfw arrange oWoD games for Discord
>They're either boring roleplayers, flaky, or lose interest after I and the rest of the group pour their heart and soul into it.
It fucking reeks, really.

>Vampire
>Take trait that makes you lack a reflection in mirrors
>wear glasses where one of them is ordinary glass, and the other is a one way mirror
>Can now see behind myself, and people will never realize this.
Any problems with this idea?

Thanks, user. Regardless of whether I asked first or not, you generosity is most appreciated.

It's unfortunate that we still have to wait for the Psi rule, equipment and Setting Secrets chapters.

While little is actually bad about the new and revised material, nothing different is particularly great or very compelling. Besides personal issues with the new rules system (it's too FATE-y for my tastes), I'm also disappointed that the first edition Alien Encounter series events are no longer part of the canon setting, and since OPP has been explicit that Aeon 2e will not have a metaplot, these event will never be.

You have a +1 difficulty to perception rolls, but take no extra difficulties from seeing behind you.

Where you from, user? I'm from the Balkans.

I did manage to have a nice game of Star Wars FaD for a while, about two years back, but the rest of the group was from NA and more than once I tended to skip out on the finishing parts of our session, because I'd have either fallen asleep or gone to bed for a short nap before heading off to work.

What location are in you in?

After college, I had trouble for a while finding groups for WOD games (I was in college when Masquerade 1e was released). However, the metaplot expanded so rapidly, and the rules and setting remained sufficiently convoluted, that I read the various WW books more as fiction than rpg supplements.

In terms of actual playability, things didn't improve until the nWOD.

AMAZING

Like I said, Balkans. To be specific, Serbia.

It's also a pain in the ass to get any oWoD books, even through drivethruRPG, since they don't have shipping for my country.

Here's an example of spirit supremacy; he's just a Lesser Power, at the level of an --Incarna--; above them you still have the Greater Entities, yet...

"Spirit traits are to high to create", so when he's materialized he's got the spirit equivalent of Awakened magick, mastery of 6 spheres, 2 spheres at 4

Fucking Arete 10 and Willpower 20

All social and mental attributes at 25...

The internet age and PDF's have really allowed a larger and more diverse group of gamers into the hobby. Sadly, this technological revolution occurred after the decline of the industry.

I still recall WW's first PDF release - the Norca sourcebook for Trinity. It was an inexpensive attempt to save the gameline that sadly failed.

user, have you checked out the oWOD and CofD Discords? They have a lot of people trying to arrange online games.

Discord Invites:

Classic World of Darkness discord.me/cwod

Chronicles of Darkness: discord.me/cofd

I'll give those a go, thank you.

genius

Just learn Auspex ffs

>spend 10+ exp on a discipline
>or custom-order some novelty glasses and get extra points from the flaw to boot

>spend 10+ exp on a discipline
implying you won't have to get auspex eventually, otherwise you're bait for pretty much anyone with obfuscate

>obfuscated lurker observing me to see if I'm an easy prey
>notices from the way I'm reacting to stuff around me that I can see behind my back
>concludes that I must have auspex

noice

>Ravnos is the worst clan in oVamp
>You literally cannot disprove this.