Badass Tolkien thread

Badass Tolkien thread

>'TEARS UNNUMBERED YE SHALL SHED; AND THE VALAR WILL FENCE VALINOR AGAINST YOU, AND SHUT YOU OUT, SO THAT EVEN THE ECHO OF YOUR LAMENTATION SHALL PASS OVER THE MOUNTAINS. ON THE HOUSE OF FËANOR THE WRATH OF THE VALAR LIETH FROM THE WEST UNTO THE UTTERMOST EAST, AND UPON ALL THAT WILL FOLLOW THEM IT SHALL BE LAID ALSO. THEIR OATH SHALL DRIVE THEM, AND YET BETRAY THEM, AND EVER SNATCH AWAY THE VERY TREASURES THAT THEY HAVE SWORN TO PURSUE. TO EVIL END SHALL ALL THINGS TURN THAT THEY BEGIN WELL; AND BY TREASON OF KIN UNTO KIN, AND THE FEAR OF TREASON, SHALL THIS COME TO PASS. THE DISPOSSESSED SHALL THEY BE FOR EVER.

>'YE HAVE SPILLED THE BLOOD OF YOUR KINDRED UNRIGHTEOUSLY AND HAVE STAINED THE LAND OF AMAN. FOR BLOOD YE SHALL RENDER BLOOD, AND BEYOND AMAN YE SHALL DWELL IN DEATH'S SHADOW. FOR THOUGH ERU APPOINTED TO YOU TO DIE NOT IN EÄ, AND NO SICKNESS MAY ASSAIL YOU, YET SLAIN YE MAY BE, AND SLAIN YE SHALL BE: BY WEAPON AND BY TORMENT AND BY GRIEF; AND YOUR HOUSELESS SPIRITS SHALL COME THEN TO MANDOS. THERE LONG SHALL YE ABIDE AND YEARN FOR YOUR BODIES, AND FIND LITTLE PITY THOUGH ALL WHOM YE HAVE SLAIN SHOULD ENTREAT FOR YOU. AND THOSE THAT ENDURE IN MIDDLE-EARTH AND COME NOT TO MANDOS SHALL GROW WEARY OF THE WORLD AS A GREAT BURDEN, AND SHALL WANE, AND BECOME AS SHADOWS OF REGRET BEFORE THE YOUNGER RACE THAT COMETH AFTER. THE VALAR HAVE SPOKEN.'

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6P643GsyiNo
youtube.com/watch?v=3aB6CPyO0Ww
tindeck.com/listen/tiod
youtube.com/watch?v=fhtE-1njHXM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

LORD OF ALL NOLDOR

Fingolfin thread

I KNOW WHERE THE STARS GLOW

DON'T FEAR THE EYES OF THE DARK LORD

WE ARE FOLLOWING
THE WILL OF THE ONE
THROUGH THE DARK AGE
AND INTO THE STORM

I admire the valiant effort behind this thread, but I have nothing to add.

Once Fingolfin v Morgoth is posted there's nothing more to add

>Fingolfin named Morgoth craven.... Therefore Morgoth... issued forth clad in black armour; and he stood before the King like a tower, iron-crowned, and his vast shield, sable unblazoned, cast a shadow over him like a stormcloud.

He chanted a song of wizardry,
Of piercing, opening, of treachery,
Revealing, uncovering, betraying.
Then sudden Felagund there swaying
Sang in answer a song of staying,
Resisting, battling against power,
Of secrets kept, strength like a tower,
And trust unbroken, freedom, escape;
Of changing and of shifting shape,
Of snares eluded, broken traps,
The prison opening, the chain that snaps.
Backwards and forwards swayed their song.
Reeling and foundering, as ever more strong
The chanting swelled, Felagund fought,
And all the magic and miht he brought
Of Elvenesse into his words.
Softly in the gloom they heard the birds
Singing afar in Nargothrond,
The sighing of the sea beyond,
Beyond the western world, on sand,
On sand of pearls in Elvenland.
Then the gloom gathered; darkness growing
In Valinor, the red blood flowing
Beside the Sea, where the Noldor slew
The Foamriders, and stealing drew
Their white ships with their white sails
From lamplit havens. The wind wails,
The wolf howls. The ravens flee.
The ice mutters in the mouths of the Sea.
The captives sad in Angband mourn.
Thunder rumbles, the fires burn –
And Finrod fell before the throne.

>Tolkien thread
>it's clearly a Blind Guardian thread
I wonder if Brodda and that woman related to Turin Bitchion had a kid at some point

>nothing more to add
>feanor fighting the balrogs
>elendil slaying ancalagon
>finrod fighting a werewolf to save beren
>beren retrieving the silmarillion from Carcharoth
>Feanor's terrible oath
Plenty of badass moments in Tolkien, and all of this is without addressing the Lord of the Rings.

>Last of all the eastern force to stand firm were the Dwarves of Belegost, and thus they won renown. For the Naugrim withstood fire more hardily than either Elves or Men, and it was their custom moreover to wear great masks in battle hideous to look upon; and those stood them in good stead against the dragons. And but for them Glaurung and his brood would have withered all that was left of the Noldor. But the Naugrim made a circle about him when he assailed them, and even his mighty armour was not full proof against the blows of their great axes; and when in his rage Glaurung turned and struck down Azaghâl, Lord of Belegost, and crawled over him, with his last stroke Azaghâl drove a knife into his belly, and so wounded him that he fled the field, and the beasts of Angband in dismay followed after him. Then the Dwarves raised up the body of Azaghâl and bore it away; and with slow steps they walked behind singing a dirge in deep voices, as it were a funeral pomp in their country, and gave no heed more to their foes; and none dared to stay them.

>Huan making sauron his bitch boi wolf

>Then said Rog in a great voice: “Who now shall fear the Balrogs for all their terror? See before us the accursed ones who for ages have tormented the children of the Noldoli, and who now set a fire at our backs with their shooting. Come ye of the Hammer of Wrath and we will smite them for their evil.” Thereupon he lifted his mace, and its handle was long; and he made a way before him by the wrath of his onset even unto the fallen gate: but all the people of the Stricken Anvil ran behind like a wedge, and sparks came from their eyes for the fury of their rage. A great deed was that sally, as the Noldoli sing yet, and many of the Orcs were borne backward into the fires below; but the men of Rog leapt even upon the coils of the serpents and came at those Balrogs and smote them grievously, for all they had whips of flame and claws of steel, and were in stature very great. They battered them into nought, or catching at their whips wielded these against them, that they tore them even as they had aforetime torn “the Gnomes; and the number of Balrogs that perished was a marvel and dread to the hosts of Melko, for ere that day never had any of the Balrogs been slain by the hand of Elves or Men.

Then Gothmog Lord of Balrogs gathered all his demons that were about the city and ordered them thus: a number made for the folk of the Hammer and gave before them, but the greater company rushing upon the flank contrived to get to their backs, higher upon the coils of the drakes and nearer to the gates, so that Rog might not win back save with great slaughter among his folk. But Rog seeing this essayed not to win back, as was hoped, but with all his folk fell on those whose part was to give before him; and they fled before him now of dire need rather than of craft. Down into the plain were they harried, and their shrieks rent the airs of Tumladin. Then that house of the Hammer fared about smiting and hewing the astonied bands of Melko till they were hemmed at the last by an overwhelming force of the Orcs and the Balrogs, and a fire-drake was loosed upon them. There did they perish about Rog hewing to the last till iron and flame overcame them, and it is yet sung that each man of the Hammer of Wrath took the lives of seven foemen to pay for his own.

>That was the last time in those wars that he passed the doors of his stronghold, and it is said that he took not the
>challenge willingly; for though his might was greatest of all things in this world, alone of the Valar he knew fear. But he
>could not now deny the challenge before the face of his captains; for the rocks rang with the shrill music of Fingolfin's
>horn, and his voice came keen and clear down into the depths of Angband; and the chad Fingolfin named the virgin Morgoth craven, and
>lord of slaves. Therefore Morgoth came, climbing slowly from his subterranean throne, and the rumour of his feet was
>like thunder underground. And he issued forth clad in black armour; and he stood before the King like a tower, ironcrowned,
>and his vast shield, sable on-blazoned, cast a shadow over him like a stormcloud. But Fingolfin gleamed
>beneath it as a star; for his mail was overlaid with silver, and his blue shield was set with crystals; and he drew his
>sword Ringil, that glittered like ice.

When evening in the Shire was grey
his footsteps on the Hill were heard;
before the dawn he went away
on journey long without a word.

From Wilderland to Western shore,
from northern waste to southern hill,
through dragon-lair and hidden door
and darkling woods he walked at will.

With Dwarf and Hobbit, Elves and Men,
with mortal and immortal folk,
with bird on bough and beast in den,
in their own secret tongues he spoke.

A deadly sword, a healing hand,
a back that bent beneath its load;
a trumpet-voice, a burning brand,
a weary pilgrim on the road.

A lord of wisdom throned he sat,
swift in anger, quick to laugh;
an old man in a battered hat
who leaned upon a thorny staff.

He stood upon the bridge alone
and Fire and Shadow both defied;
his staff was broken on the stone,
in Khazad-dûm his wisdom died.

So... about this guy.

>Tolkien
>Mary Sue mega-elves fighting giant evil elves

There is probably an anime elf thread somewhere for you.

>Melkor's envy grew then the greater within him; and he also took visible form, but because of his mood and the malice that burned in him that form was dark and terrible. And he descended upon Arda in power and majesty greater than any other of the Valar, as a mountain that wades in the sea and has its head above the clouds and is clad in ice and crowned with smoke and fire; and the light of the eyes of Melkor was like a flame that withers with heat and pierces with a deadly cold.

youtube.com/watch?v=6P643GsyiNo

>platemail
>somewhat edgy sword
She's very talented but her depiction is a bit off.

>mary sue
>they are given heaven but fuck up their way out of it
>they are consumed by greed
>they create realms doomed to downfall
>they are destined to be replaced by men, who win all the big victories
>they need gods to win the war of wrath
>mary sue
I have a problem where I respond to bait.

Did the silmarils give Morgoth any tactical advantage whatsoever besides being distracting?

No, probably a disadvantage as they burned him terribly, even when set in his crown I think. He wore them solely out of pride and spite.

mah niggas

youtube.com/watch?v=3aB6CPyO0Ww

Aure Entuluva!

tindeck.com/listen/tiod

But Húrin did not look at the stone, for he knew what was written there; and his eyes had seen that he was not alone. Sitting in the shadow of the stone there was a woman, bent over her knees; and as Húrin stood there silent she cast back her tattered hood and lifted her face. Grey she was and old, but suddenly her eyes looked into his, and he knew her; for though they were wild and full of fear, that light still gleamed in them that long ago had earned for her the name Eledhwen, proudest and most beautiful of mortal women in the days of old.

'You come at last,' she said. 'I have waited too long.'

'It was a dark road. I have come as I could,' he answered.

'But you are too late,' said Morwen. 'They are lost.'

'I know it,' he said. 'But you are not.'

But Morwen said: 'Almost. I am spent. I shall go with the sun. Now little time is left: if you know, tell me! How did she find him?'

But Húrin did not answer, and they sat beside the stone, and did not speak again; and when the sun went down Morwen sighed and clasped his hand, and was still; and Húrin knew that she had died. He looked down at her in the twilight and it seemed to him that the lines of grief and cruel hardship were smoothed away. 'She was not conquered,' he said; and he closed her eyes, and sat unmoving beside her as the night drew down. The waters of Cabed Naeramarth roared on, but he heard no sound, and he saw nothing, and felt nothing, for his heart was stone within him. But there came a chill wind that drove sharp rain into his face; and he was roused, and anger rose in him like smoke, mastering reason, so that all his desire was to seek vengeance for his wrongs and for the wrongs of his kin, accusing in his anguish all those who ever had dealings with them. Then he rose up, and he made a grave for Morwen above Cabed Naeramarth on the west side of the stone; and upon it he cut these words: Here lies also Morwen Eledhwen.

>chad Fingolfin
>virgin Morgoth

You cheeky cunt slipping that in there

You got the virgin and chad mixed up.

This thread is unironically not Veeky Forums.

>no justin gerard art

Really weird question, but is there any Tolkien-inspired rap music?

Theodens speech at the need of Return of the King.
Check mate bitches

if Fingolfin, who is one of the most badass creatures in all of Ea could wound Morgoth and survive for quite a long time

what if Morgoth was faced by Feanor in single combat instead?

>elendil slaying ancalagon
EARENDIL, YOU SWARTHY-MAN

>Luthien singing Melko to sleep
and since that gives some sense of scale of Luthien's power
>Sauron knocking Luthien out with sheer force of malice

>aww, such epic scene
>notice dem noses
>all epicness drains from the scene
crap

>Rage so hard you make an Oath that anger God.
>Rage so hard you bring curse and damnation over your own race.
>Rage so hard you kill an army of Balrogs while cursing the heaven.
>Rage so hard your mortal body explodes.

compared to Fëanáro pretty much everyone is a zen buddhist, humble and calm

>This video is not available.

What did you mean by this?

choose one

"Badass" quotes are for gayboys, this segment of Gimli talking up the beauty of the caves beneath Helm's Deep is the best piece of writing in trilogy.
youtube.com/watch?v=fhtE-1njHXM

The Oath is also metal as fuck:

>Be he foe or friend, be he foul or clean
>Brood of Morgoth or Bright Vala,
>Elda or Maia or Aftercomer,
>Man yet unborn upon Middle-Earth,
>Neither law, nor love, nor league of sword,
>Dread nor Danger, not Doom itself
>Shall defend him from Fëanáro, and Fëanáro's kin,
>Whoso hideth or hoardeth, or in hand taketh,
>Finding keepeth or afar casteth
>A Silmaril. This swear we all...
>Death we will deal him ere Day's ending,
>Woe unto world's end! Our word hear thou,
>Eru Allfather! To the everlasting
>Darkness doom us if our deed faileth...
>On the holy mountain hear in witness
>and our vow remember, Manwë and Varda!

On the slopes of Orodruin the last High King of the Noldor fell to the heat of Sauron's hand.

>Gil-galad was an Elven-king.
Of him the harpers sadly sing;
the last whose realm was fair and free
between the Mountains and the Sea.

>His sword was long, his lance was keen.
His shining helm afar was seen;
the countless stars of heaven's field
were mirrored in his silver shield.

>But long ago he rode away,
and where he dwelleth none can say;
for into darkness fell his star
in Mordor where the shadows are.

They deserved better

much like Turin they have only their stupidity to blame

Also fate

maybe
but their fate acted only through through their own stupidity
who knows, maybe had they been not as stupid, fate would've found other ways, but the fact stands

In canon they acted stupidly beyond belief and the only evidence of fate's direct involvement is author's words.

I don't think Feanor could challenge Morgoth in physical fight, he was an elf of great spiritual power and craft, but Fingolfin after Dagor Bragollach was taken for Orome by bystanders. He was on another level entirely. Besides I can't recall ever seeing a statement that put Fingolfin beneath Feanor in terms of military or fighting prowess.

Battle Under the Stars
Feanorings face Morgoth's entire army, send it packing HARD, Feanor goes full LEEEEEEROY JENKINS!!!! and chases after them. Alone. They keep running.
Until a bunch of Balrogs including Gothmog notice its just single Han Solo and turn back on him. Feanor HOLDS THEM OFF until his sons catch up to him and chase Balrogs away. And only then did Feanor die of his wounds.

No one who has faced even a single Balrog survived the encounter (in same body, in case of Maiar). Feanor fought off a bunch of them and died only some time later.

What would you have them do? Storm Angband? Ask the Valar for the stones and forgiveness? I don't think that would've worked out, considering how they kept drowning the ships from Gondolin (and later Numenor) to prevent them from entering Valinor.

not be bloody idiots. just not do obviously stupid decisions. like starting civil wars. or killing allies. or TAKING A BLOODY OATH TO KILL A GOD AGAINST GOOD GODS' WARNING
and Turin was the biggest idiot in all of Legendarium, topping pretty much everyone

Well true, but:
1. Seeing as Fingon held his own against Gothmog during Nirnaeth, and its outright stated that valor of Elves and Men of the North (Hithlum namely) couldn't' have been overcome by orc nor Balrog it doesn't seem THAT unusual, next you have Glorfindel and of course Ekthelion
2. I still would presume wounding Morgoth to be a feat much bigger than suriving a band of Balrogs.
3. Battle Under the Stars was an opener and it was said plainly that Morgoth was completely unaware of the military power the Noldo princes mustered. Remember that once Sun came up and the Host that crossed Helcaraxe arrived he literally shut off Angband. Once he opened it again in might, everything fell.
4. "Thus died Fingolfin, High King of the Noldor, most proud and valiant of the Elven-kings of old." Most valiant usually, not always of course, means "mightest" too.

Now my point simply is, I don't think Feanor would really fare much better than his brother, even taking his "potential" as Curufinwe into account.

I bet you think characters from Greek tragedies were stupid too

it's me from ((())) again, I've found one more:
>Fëanor was the mightiest in skill of word and of hand, more learned than his brothers; his spirit burned as a flame. Fingolfin was the strongest, the most steadfast, and the most valiant. Finarfin was the fairest, and the most wise of heart; and afterwards he was a friend of the sons of Olwë, lord of the Teleri, and had to wife Eärwen, the swan-maiden of Alqualondë, Olwë's daughter.

>I bet you think characters from Greek tragedies were stupid too
eh, pretty much

hm, I overlooked that, okay, you're right

why does Sauron look like a nigger here?

Their objective was to take back the stones, not to kill Morgoth. It is literally impossible to kill a Vala (in the Silmarillion version, at least). They perfectly understood what they have done, they weren't stupid, they were desperate. Feanor was insane, yes.
Honestly, Turin pissed me of with his fucking bridge. But then again, he was cursed.

Either hes wearing a mask or he actually is a nigger.

take stones FROM A FUCKING GOD
I mean yeah, Beren did it, but come on, who knew he could

And Morgoth was afraid of death, which is why he was in no hurry to fight Fingolfin. Presumably while his spirit was immortal, the body he had was his final one. Lose that and he'd be a formless spirit, probably powerless.

Enemies of Melkor deserve nothing less. They had the choice of serving him.

It depends on what Morgoth we're talking about.

Early Morgoth was more powerful than all of his kin combined and waged a one-man war on them and won for thousands of years.

Late Morgoth lost most of his power and while still nigh-invincible could be injured by a warrior, albeit a warrior of demigod strength.

>Warriors that can wound gods and fight enormous fire demons on equal footing.
>Sorcerers rivaling angels in power.
>Craftsmen more skilled and cunning than gods.
>Unquenchable spirit that few beings can match.

How did Elves in fantasy go from THIS to fucking gay anorexic ladyboys with pointy ears? How did it happen?

These all badasses are quite fine, quite fine, but...

...we all know who is most badass thing in the Legendarium.

They're all boys.

If you didn't actually say the Oath, would you be bound by and held to it?

obviously not

See, when you have all that and a bunch of orcs completely and utterly destroy your civilization (mostly because your own dumb asses kept helping the enemy with your pride) you forfeit any and all claims of badassery and replace it with a dunce cap.

Objection! That spider-shaped eldrich horror from beyond the world is insufficiently gigantic!

It's not gay if it's an elf.

all the art here is freakin awesome

>metal

works fine for me

>the orcs were clad in iron shod boots and mail and the elves were no match for them
>not liking metal
Fuck off Denethor.

Tolkien Orcs aren't as big of pushovers as they are in the movies.

Aure entuluva!

>when it's time to do real nigga shit

This thread needs more Swan Knights of Dol-Amroth

Much like Europe and America today.

Influences changed. Tolkien studied myth. There's a lot of ties to epic and tragedy in it, and it shows. Both in his prose style and the presentation of characters.

Skip ahead a generation or two. You get authors that are influenced by Tolkien, but don't have a background in myth. They don't know what makes epic tick. So when they draw on it, it's kind of hollow, with just the superficial bits coming through without anything to hold them together.

Combine that with influences from pulp magazines and other sources that don't really mesh with epic, let it cook for a few authorial generations.

You see this kind of thing in a lot of genres. You even see it when new editions of RPGs come out if the fans start taking over for the original authors. You gotta understand why elements work before you use them, or everything gets mediocre.

Why the fuck would you do that, he was planning to destroy everything, including his servants
What choice did they have, to oppose their father and leave Finwë's death unavenged? The Valar weren't too keen on fighting him
Beren and Luthien took the stone because it was their Fate. There's no way the Feanorians could have known if they can succeed.

Isn't there a d&d4 thread that needs your attention right about now?

>platemail

Fingolfin had a wife and children. Who did Morgoth end up with? Luthien defeated him with the ultimate friendzone move of all time. Even Aulë landed a hippie chick. Morgoth got NO ONE.

Feanor was brilliant as a scholar and craftsman, and deadly in battle but war wasn't his biggest thing. He ended up being beaten by a gang of Balrogs. Incredibly powerful but not quite fingolfin.

Besides, Feanor was evil. The curse laid on him most heavily of all. For all his power, he'd have had no hope of even as good a showing as his brother vs Morgoth. Feanor's greatest strengths would only serve as his undoing.

No. But by following Feanor into exile chasing the Silmarilli (themselves infused with the fate of arda), the other Exiles fell under the Doom of Mandos and the Oath did them harm too. Even Curufin, who once in Middle Earth rejected his father and grandfather and tried to turn to good. Eregion was started well but turned to ashes and all its good served only to make greater evils.

That was quite beautiful. I really didn't appreciate most of Tolkien's skill with language when I read his books years ago; it's long past due for me to give them a reread.