/cyoag/ - CYOA General

For the Drives, Archives and other resources: pastebin.com/vrqYhnpu
Previous Thread "Calm before the storm" edition
Threadly Question(s); What do you look at to judge a new cyoa? Is there anything that immediately makes you drop one upon seeing? Lastly, are there any cyoas you didn't like at first but grew to like?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/l2DiR
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezeiza,_Buenos_Aires
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>"Calm before the storm" edition
>Threadly Question(s); What do you look at to judge a new cyoa? Is there anything that immediately makes you drop one upon seeing? Lastly, are there any cyoas you didn't like at first but grew to like?
Gross like that place.

>Threadly Question(s); What do you look at to judge a new cyoa? Is there anything that immediately makes you drop one upon seeing?
Dozens of minimal-fluff point-based choices.

Snowy month the best.
Fruity Drink would just give me the confidence and path to killing myself.

I want to know why I care before I have to invest my time in reading it.
I care if the base concept is interesting, if the mechanics are novel or if other posters keep circle-jerking over it.
imgur.com/a/l2DiR

>"Calm before the storm" edition
Considering all the butthurt anons that cry over edition tags and thread questions, I'd say that's appropriate.

does it pander to waifufags
>yes:
put it where it belongs, in the trash

As a rule of thumb: anything with PvP or player-interaction is always discussed more than it’s worth. The amount of buttblastedness alone should tell you something about the CYOA.

Conduit is a waste of time

PvP creates discussion because it engages people and makes it more enjoyable
Conduit is still the best after all this time

I will translate this
>If it has female characters i hate it

post CYOAs with good characters

There's a difference between pandering to waifufags and including female characters. Exhibit A:

Ezeiza is an airport in Argentina, stop stealing our names you fucker

Exhibit B:

Are there any cyoas that actually have good non-hamfisted lore

Argentina is in South America.
So the cyoa is correct.

never said it was not correct, i am telling you that you should stop stealing the names

Naming a real place that really exists isn't stealing that place's name.

It is, if you don't even mention the country it is in

That's some weird-ass logic you've got there.

seems pretty straightforward to me

Interesting

Argentina is whitest

>stop stealing our names you fucker
So if you had a son and named him John, then your neighbor had a kid and named him John, would you sperg out as hard as you are now?
It's a name, user. You can't steal a fucking name.

It's not the same.There is nowhere else a place called Ezeiza, as such it is argie property, as a argentine citizen i demand you clarify that Ezeiza is located in argentina.

It's not even that. It's your neighbour mentioning your son John by name and you getting angry at him for "stealing his name".
Then when confronted with the absurdity of not allowing anybody refer to your son by his own name you respond with something like "only if you mention his family name" a la

Items:
• Machete - The most useful thing on the list, for five points? Easy pick.
• Shotgun - I'm not a great shot, but with this, I don't need to be
• Binoculars - Their real utility is using the lenses to start fires.
• First Aid Kit - So no one dies the first time they get bitten by some horrid creature.
• Field Rations - We'll need something to tide us over until we can learn how to feed ourselves in the jungle.

Companions:
• Bethany Cabrera - Enthusiasm is invaluable, and so is knowing where we're going and what to eat. Also easily best girl.
• Max - Good boy! Two's company, three's a crowd, I really want to get in Bethany's pants.

Enemy: Dinosaurs - Fire makes for a reliable defence, and lumbering tyrannosaurs make for easy targets. Our ammunition won't last forever, though...

Ally: The Tanuma Kingdom - The most valuable allies are those who know the land. Guidance, shelter, safe food and water - an easy choice.

Treasure: The Wreck of Flight 341. A fountain of youth? The golden city? Legends and fantasies. But that painting is very much real, and very much for the taking. All that's left to do is find the damn thing...

This is not the most disgusting thing in the world.
The most disgusting thing in the world is the realisation that there are ""people"" who would unironically enjoy reading it.

and i'm not done yet

I don't care how unique the name is you can't copyright it.
You also can not demand the country that build it gets mentioned everytime the project does.
Both of these things are insane.

templates posted

sorry we already have a wiki page on it, that basically proves you wrong

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezeiza,_Buenos_Aires

What is this garbage?

I'm not going to discuss this with you anymore.
I've given you the information. At some point you will have to accept it.

Someone edit it to say it's a complete shithole, please.

looks to me that you can't accept the fact i am right, but it's fine i didn't expect any kind of intellectual discussion with someone that makes CYOAs

It's spelled out pretty clearly.
Are you retarded?

the contrast here is interesting

I don't understand, spell it out

Destined:
I was personally chosen and blessed by God from birth to bring about a new 'resurgence of the church' and spread his word to all corners of the globe, bringing about a new golden age of humanity. But then I became a moody teen and went through an atheist/goth phase. God got pissed and murdered my parents, so without guidance I was never told any of that. Now I just kind of do whatever... good thing that nice principle provides a positive adult role-model, even though I'm totally to cool for that and he's actually a dweeb.

Spooky, worthy

Mentor: Marjorie Smith

The older sister I never had.

Companions: Lana Hughes, Morgan Credence, and Dinah Herloh

They're pretty chill.

Allies: Aunty Xiao, Jack Royal, and 'the mystery'

Not sure how this happened, but Xiao is cool Jack is a douche and the mystery is trying way too hard. It works, I guess.

Item: the mask

It was a hard choice between this and Mr. Stabby, but constant invisibility was too good to pass.

Base: The bunker

It may not be much, but it's home.

Big bad: Principal Shimmerman

Well, just fuck my life right up, I guess.time to kill the closest thing I have left to a father figure.

People were given a template to show their builds on. I have saved the responses and have now reposted them.

Cool, wasn't that painful was it?

A little bit.

but the pain was worth it, right?

uh, sure
have a cyoa

Brain booster 4
Surer health 5
Shapeshifting 5
Psychokinesis 2

Where is weed smoker?

Appreciate what you have while you still got it. My regular thread's currently imploding over random people being stupid assholes, this place has been nirvana by comparison for this and the last thread.

On campus just staring at this article I really don't want to edit.
Whatchyu want?

i wanted to say hello, and let you know that you are a qt pie. Have a nice day :)

We have out ups and downs.

Oh, you!

Why are argentinians always such nationalistic butthurt assholes?

There's always a ton of argentinians coming into my country, and your kind are -always- inevitably a bunch ot pissy cunts.

Hell, us too to be honest. I'd say we've less, but because people are used to less when we go down we go DOWN. Whereas here, people roll with the punches much better. It's refreshing, on our side of the fence people get hung up over thinking they know all the rules and have a license to bludgeon people over the head with them.

At least here, people actually point to what's making them upset instead of making up reasons to be mad.

Becouse argentinians are the only source of white pure white genes in the world, therefore it is our job to let everyone know we are 100% white and 100% better than you

No saber = not reading it

I play pretty much all of them, but some take me a run up. I generally won’t touch cyoas that are clearly based on an existing property without any interesting twists or mechanics. The RWBY remake is a good example of one that was unique enough to stand on it’s own, while I consider something like the Overwatch cyoa absolute bottom of the barrel.

As for cyoas that didn’t grab me at first, Traveller is my first example. It took me seeing it posted and talked about until I took the time to read it, eventually growing to love it. I had a similar experience recently with PPP+.

You can literally be Saber, but now you mention it you could have one helluva Grail War if you used the builds for this CYOA as Servants. The weakest guy you could build is still basically a Hundred Faces Hassan with an awesome doggo and some goddessfus instead of a demon stitched on his arm.

I just want to say that the premise of fate night stay seems stupid to the point of offensive to me and the idea of it having fans and even waifu-ers shakes me on an existential level
that was all

>Is there anything that immediately makes you drop one upon seeing?
Walls of text

gay

alright, that doesn't change the fact that Artoria is best girl, but sure, why not, have it your way

What's the point of getting stats higher than 12 in any given category, since it seems very doable? What's the difference between say, 1, 6 and 12?

Nice fluff for the choices, but the stats look even more devoid of meaning by comparison to the more complete lore elements.

As a longtime follower of the Fate franchise you are completely correct and it has only gotten objectively stupider on every level. Fate is like an opera: If there's any enjoyment to be had, it's from the standalone emotional moments and the sweeping spectacle. But when you actually sit down to analyse it, the man has some stupid, STUPID ideas.

Like how in Nasu's world, thermodynamics is world-ending black magic

>What's the point of getting stats higher than 12

Decapitate the fall

Know all the fall's secrets

Your point being?

Seduce the fall

>What's the difference between say, 1, 6 and 12?
Well, with 3 Power you can kill a Dragon and with 12 Power you can kill a new world. What do you think you could do with double that?

>thermodynamics is world-ending black magic
... I am morbidly curious.

that you're gay

it's not gay becouse weed smoker is a man and i am a woman

I won't link you the wiki, because between the obtuse translations and the sheer overcomplexity of Nasu's writing I'd be doing more harm than good. So I'm gonna have to ask you to trust me.

In the modern age, most magic is a pale shadow of what it once was when gods walked the earth. There are 5 supreme types of magic which surpass all others ripped from Akasha, the origin of all existence. These are called True Magics, and each governs a different phenomena.

The relevant one here is the 5th Magic. In the story it was used, a woman caused a terrible imbalance in the amount of heat and magic in the universe that accelerated it's total destruction, in order to break causality and save the life of a boy she liked. She can also use it to transform into her future self, but most of the time she just uses it to shoot really, really big lasers so it's not entirely clear what it does. But it's association with extinction, and the consumptive aspects of civilisation.

Oh yeah, did I mention resurrection is considered fucking impossible under normal circumstances in Nasuland? It takes conditions that amount to "causality isn't at home right now" to straght up bring someone back from the dead, as they were before.

BUT THAT'S NOT IT. As of Extella and GO, it turns out the multiverse has a set amount of energy, so to save on it timelines which divert too far from the majority in which humanity survives are unconsciously annihilated by humanity collective will, using quantum time locks.

It's...it's all so fucked up, and this is the setting Nasu wants to use to sell waifus in.

*by humanity's collective will to survive

>Becouse argentinians are the only source of white pure white genes in the world,

what the fuck, i am even more confused than i was before, i played Extella and cought up on the plot of the destruction of humanity or some shit, to be honest i did not pay attention i spent the entire exposition looking at how pretty the waifus were and how well animated and designed they were in game

also this image from Extella is wonderful, it reminds me that no one will ever care even remotely as much as nero cares for her master

And? I have stated many a time that I am a faggot.

>ITWOTD builds as servants.
Oh shit, now I want to see that too. Why would you do this to me, user? Don't you see I have enough autism in my veins already?

Well, I'm mostly a fluff type dude, admittedly quite poor at crunch, and the first version restricted builds quite a lot, so I lowered the requirements a bit to give user some freedom.

As for what the numbers do, well, they're mostly in there so people can't choose a completely unrelated zenith for their builds, but for everything else has the gist of it.

Now, I'm pretty sure people are tired of me, so I'm going to go to sleep, good night.

I paid attention. It was like reading the fucking Necronomicon. The problem is Nasu is good at writing urban horror, but the money is at Servants and waifus, and when he tries to fit his strength as a writer into what sells this insane fucking bullshit happens.

As I'm sure you know, canonically one of the most powerful characters in the setting is a woman whose superpower is to shove the entire world into her spirit vagina. Which annihilates it. And GO made her even more powerful than before.

Also Tamamo does care. It's just that Tamamo's issues are much harder to ignore than Nero's, so she overall behaves like a much shittier person when given absolute power. Pretty much only Hakuno and Karna (who is mentally hardwired to be a good boi) wer on her team, and NOT hating her guts.

Hush. It is a beautiful dream, but one we may never touch.

Hey! My mother's from Argentina and she's the whitest person I know! I live in Africa...

I am sorry what i made a mistake in the typing
>also this image from Extella is wonderful, it reminds me that no one will ever care even remotely as much as nero cares for her master
What i meant to say is that not one will ever care for ME as much as nero cares for her master
I did pick up on the tamano plot, honestly she was my second pick in Extella after Nero

So why "gautr"? All I can find for meanings on that word is that it's a proto-Germanic name that was used as both one of Odin's titles and the founder of the kingdom of the Geats.

>Nero will never tell you a bedside story
;_;

night

nigger

Ah, that makes more sense. Honestly Extella pissed me off because I'm far more interested in Nero as the flawed but tragic megalomaniac tyrant and Tamamo in her past as a mythological calamity than in their character as waifus. And Extella just, goes full hog with their waifu quality shilling. Because waifu shilling gets otaku bucks. Don't even get me started on GO's roman singularity, you don't NEED every Roman character sucking Nero's dick to make me like her! That is the complete opposite of why I liked her in the first place!

I'm guessing it has something to do with Odin's mythological role as the guy who sends the valkyries to choose warriors who died worthy deaths into battle. So on death they went to Valhalla, and became his immortal einherjar warriors training endlessly to prepare for Ragnarok.

I guess as the Dawn came, not!Odin found himself out of a job.